Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia director on the name, wants to remake Binding Blade the most

4 hours ago, Natalie said:

The fact that they're using the 'Echoes' title means that we could be seeing quite a few more remakes. Heroes has likely opened up a whole new load of people who'd be interested in playing older games, and I guess it makes sense to remake FE6 as Roy is a very popular progtagonist in the series. 

Where exactly did the say "next Echoes game"?

Like I'm a little irked that people keep jumping on the bandwagon like it's official that they're keeping the title. They said they'd "probably want to" but literally no one has confirmed branding. Nor was it the intention of the word "Echoes" from the beginning.

Seriously. Misinterpreting translations is one way to get me steamed.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Tryhard said:

There isn't much here, but the director of SoV said that he would like to remake FE6 next "if he had to choose".

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-director-on-the-name-wants-to-remake-binding-blade-the-most/

Thankfully he doesn't get to choose, since I'd rather have a FE4/5 remake next.

BUT of all the other outstanding FE games, FE6 would improve the most from a remake since the original is pretty bad.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

If they do remake Binding Blade, I hope they don't screw it up.  They did well with Gaiden, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Here's hoping they manage to fix what needed fixing while not ruining it entirely.

Not sure how they can screw it up. FE6 is by far the worst designed game in the series, with incredibly bland maps and poorly thought out game design. Then again, if they stick too closely to the original, that'd be "screwing it up". They really need to overhaul practically every aspect of that game, from maps to characters to story.

Edited by bufkus

7 minutes ago, bufkus said:

BUT of all the other outstanding FE games, FE6 would improve the most from a remake since the original is pretty bad.

Not sure how they can screw it up. FE6 is by far the worst designed game in the series, with incredibly bland maps and poorly thought out game design. Then again, if they stick too closely to the original, that'd be "screwing it up". They really need to overhaul practically every aspect of that game, from maps to characters to story.

So... pretty much not remake FE6 but a new game with a guy named Roy in it :/

They'd sort of have to keep the story essentially the same, as well as the characters, some of whom are already in Heroes. I have no problems with that, personally. I wouldn't mind them adding more to it, like with Gaiden, to make it flow better, though.

21 minutes ago, bufkus said:

Not sure how they can screw it up. FE6 is by far the worst designed game in the series, with incredibly bland maps and poorly thought out game design.

The fuck? Binding Blade had some pretty decent maps. Incredibly bland maps is what Gaiden/Echoes does. And Binding Blade's game design is really only bad when it comes to unit balance. Binding Blade just loves throwing Ests at you.

Though a remake could make Ch.21 less bullshit.

1 hour ago, shadowofchaos said:

Where exactly did the say "next Echoes game"?

Like I'm a little irked that people keep jumping on the bandwagon like it's official that they're keeping the title. They said they'd "probably want to" but literally no one has confirmed branding. Nor was it the intention of the word "Echoes" from the beginning.

Seriously. Misinterpreting translations is one way to get me steamed.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/04/27/fire-emblem-echoes-may-be-a-full-line-of-remakes/

It's not much but it looks like they may be using the 'Echoes' name in future. Of course it's not definite, but it looks like they may have put some thought into using it in future.

5 minutes ago, Natalie said:

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/04/27/fire-emblem-echoes-may-be-a-full-line-of-remakes/

It's not much but it looks like they may be using the 'Echoes' name in future. Of course it's not definite, but it looks like they may have put some thought into using it in future.

Hey. Look at it closely.

Their source is from GameXplain. You know. Who took down that video.

Because we had to do damage control?

Aka I had to talk to Derrick to not spread misinformation.

The name "Echoes" was a direct replacement for "Gaiden".

They *may* or may not use it.

Everyone literally took my thread and ran with it. No one even waited to cite their sources.

I hate game journalism with translations.

Edited by shadowofchaos

4 hours ago, unique said:

i'm not sure how much that's a factor though

like, these games are made in japan, and I'm guessing that's largely their target audience with these. mystery of the emblem got a remake that was only released in Japan, and that was the most successful game in the series at the time, which was already released over there. not quite the same situation but I do think that that's not the biggest factor in these.

I only meant that FE has recently started to become much more popular outside of Japan and so they might be looking at remaking games that were never released in English. Yes, FE3 got a remake which was only released in Japan, but that was before newbie-friendly Awakening landed. Since then FE has had a lot of popularity growth.

In any case, I'd love to see a FE7 remake but I'm just not sure that we'll get one any time soon.

2 hours ago, bufkus said:

I respectfully disagree with you, while FE6 has room for improvement in terms of some balancing issues, it's still my favorite in the series and I don't want them to change it so much that it loses what makes it FE6.

Not sure why you singled me out to basically say "I hate your favorite game."

Edited by Glaceon Mage

3 hours ago, bufkus said:

FE6 has great difficult design, like you actively have to think about how to progress through maps, not many FE's actually make you do that seriously, besides stuff like New Mystery and Conquest.

I love the GBA era games, but they have aged very well, and are still perfectly playable, so they don't really need a remake, like Gaiden did.  Even FE6 is playable, if you have a translation patch.

I think FE4 and 5 would benefit the most.  I tried playing FE4, but it's just so darn user-unfriendly that I got scared off after the first chapter.  I would love to see it get the Echoes treatment.

I could see the Tellius games getting a remake, not because they need updated, but because they are the hardest for people to get copies of, legitimate or otherwise.  Since Ike is so popular, it would give newbies to the series a chance to play his actual game.

That being said, I think they should sandwich remakes in between new releases.  Releasing a string of remakes in a row can be detrimental to the series as a whole.

7 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I could see the Tellius games getting a remake, not because they need updated, but because they are the hardest for people to get copies of, legitimate or otherwise.  Since Ike is so popular, it would give newbies to the series a chance to play his actual game.

Honestly, there are a number of things that can be solved with Gamecube VC, this being one of them. The Wii U also had Wii VC, and rare games like Xenoblade available.

I expect the Tellius games to get HD remasters instead of remakes.

Maybe they'll get them somewhere down the line, but I don't think that will be until EVERY 2D FE has been remade.

I would still buy a FE6 remake, but I'll still be waiting for FE4 and FE5 though. Although, FE4's gameplay will be controversial though, I understand the complaints about it, so I can see why they would skip over it. It may be too intimidating for the casual crowd, even though some people I've talked to that are newer to the series have said they would like to see a huge battlefield and I'm like "Honey... oh honey. DESERTS. And that's all I'm gonna say". Would be cool if the 2nd Gen.'s hair colors changed depending on their father though, like Awakening, so I feel like each 2nd generation playthrough feels like a new army each time.

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I would still buy a FE6 remake, but I'll still be waiting for FE4 and FE5 though. Although, FE4's gameplay will be controversial though, I understand the complaints about it, so I can see why they would skip over it. It may be too intimidating for the casual crowd, even though some people I've talked to that are newer to the series have said they would like to see a huge battlefield and I'm like "Honey... oh honey. DESERTS. And that's all I'm gonna say". Would be cool if the 2nd Gen.'s hair colors changed depending on their father though, like Awakening, so I feel like each 2nd generation playthrough feels like a new army each time.

The only problem with the hair thing is that several of the children from FE4 show up in FE5, where they're obviously static characters, and characters like Nanna and Deirmud show up with specific hair colors.  

Though FE5 already canonized some pairings(Ced being Lewyn's son, for instance). 

Honestly it'd be neat if you could import data from FE4 into FE5. Like, say you pair Lachesis and Lex or something, and Nanna and Deirmud had skills that they inherited from Lex, and altered growth rates. They'd have to come up with why Ced is neglecting his duties as Prince of Silesse, why Karin would fly across the continent to find him, and why he has Holsety and the Sety scroll if Lewyn isn't his father, though. 

Also, on the subject of a Binding Blade remake, I'd honestly prefer if Blazing Blade got remade first. All things considered, Binding doesn't really benefit a whole lot from not knowing who these characters are supposed to be related to. It'd be a lot more emotionally impactful to know what happened to Zephiel before he became a tyrant. Knowing Roy and Lilina's parents would help invest us in those characters off the bat. And, things like

Hector's death would hit people really hard if they had just played Blazing and started Binding for the first time.

While most of the events in FE7 don't really contribute to what happens in FE6, I do think that it would serve much better as build-up to the events of FE6, rather than how IS handled it as a prequel. 

But FE7 has aged much better, and doesn't need to be updated to reflect information revealed in another game like FE6 does, so I can see why FE6 would get the remake first, since these games seem to exist to modernize older FEs and expose a wider audience to them. 

Edited by Slumber

On 5/22/2017 at 9:36 PM, Slumber said:

The only problem with the hair thing is that several of the children from FE4 show up in FE5, where they're obviously static characters, and characters like Nanna and Deirmud show up with specific hair colors.  

Though FE5 already canonized some pairings(Ced being Lewyn's son, for instance). 

Honestly it'd be neat if you could import data from FE4 into FE5. Like, say you pair Lachesis and Lex or something, and Nanna and Deirmud had skills that they inherited from Lex, and altered growth rates. They'd have to come up with why Ced is neglecting his duties as Prince of Silesse, why Karin would fly across the continent to find him, and why he has Holsety and the Sety scroll if Lewyn isn't his father, though. 

I'm all for importing data, like PoR to RD.

I wouldn't mind breaking canon for a remake, though I see the issues with it. Luckily, the better/usual fathers for Nanna and Deirmud are all blonde anyways (Beowolf, Noish, Claude), so they'll turn out blonde most of the time anyways.

Also, I would like a Blazing Blade before Binding too, for the reasons you've also stated.

As long as the maps are modernized(?) and there's a different art director, I'm all for it! I've got no time to go through and indulge myself on all the older FE games, so as a new gen fan, remakes are really the best option for me. They're just..infinitely more accessible. 

FE6 needs a remake the least since we have some good patches in SF which fixed the gameplay issues like weapon balance and units's bases and growths.

Storywise it's fine already.

Judgral defintiely needs rather a remake, espcially FE5's mechanics must be improved.

Edited by アリサ ラインフォルト

5 minutes ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

FE6 needs a remake the least since we have some good patches in SF which fixed the gameplay issues like weapon balance and units's bases and growths.

Storywise it's fine already.

Judgral defintiely needs rather a remake, espcially FE5's mechanics must be improved.

Uh... unofficial patches that the general public will almost never find/use are not a reason to not make remakes.

20 minutes ago, Mark the Tactician said:

In all honesty, the kind of remake I'd want to see is a remake of 6 and 7, and perhaps find a way to put them both together one after another....

Then again, that'd probably be too much for a 3DS to handle...

Considering this is probably the last 3DS Fire Emblem, any future remakes will be on the Switch.

Even then tho, a remake that mixes both 6 and 7 would be an absolute nightmare in regards to assets. I pity the poor artist that has to redesign/update over 80 characters across both games, both villains and allies, update the world art, make the maps, and also the guys who have to coordinate a cast of voice actors to voice said cast and story and supports.

...Yeah a combined remake sounds very unlikely, sadly.

18 minutes ago, Doof said:

Considering this is probably the last 3DS Fire Emblem, any future remakes will be on the Switch.

Even then tho, a remake that mixes both 6 and 7 would be an absolute nightmare in regards to assets. I pity the poor artist that has to redesign/update over 80 characters across both games, both villains and allies, update the world art, make the maps, and also the guys who have to coordinate a cast of voice actors to voice said cast and story and supports.

...Yeah a combined remake sounds very unlikely, sadly.

Okay, reading over it now, I do have to concede... as great as it would be to have a Fire Emblem 6+7 remake, that would be extremely ambitious... and probably too risky not to screw up somewhere along the way.

Ah well... I can dream.

4 hours ago, Mark the Tactician said:

Okay, reading over it now, I do have to concede... as great as it would be to have a Fire Emblem 6+7 remake, that would be extremely ambitious... and probably too risky not to screw up somewhere along the way.

Ah well... I can dream.

Maybe they can do it like with FE9 and FE10; transferring data and/or stay boosts to certain characters.