Favorite and Least Favorite Characters So Far

So, what are your favorites and the not so favorites?

Mine so far:

Favorites:

Celica. Shes very lovely to look at, but also a deeply sweet person. Shes stubborn and ruled by her heart, but people point this out. Shes great when she puts her Big Girl Pants on at the end of Act 3. 

Leon: Should not surprise anyone that i love the purple haired gay guy. Hes done so well, that hes not a stereotype. I love that Nintendo put this guy in. He knows his love is unrequited, and is prepared to deal with it. Mah pewr dude. Plus hes a great unit. 

Mathilda: Oh shes fantastic. She looks good, is a solid character both on and off the battlefield, and her relationship with Clive is cute. 

Clair: her support with Gray won me over, that B...yass slay! But shes great. Noble, but not super classist. Shes a lot like Maribelle actually. 

Mae: Shes so cute. Energetic without being bratty and annoying. Totally hiding that shes got feelings for Boey. I love her supports with Celica and gives her pep talks all the time. 

Not-So-Favorites:

tbh i only really have the one. Gray annoyed me at first but hes got layers and is a cool dude once you get to know him. You know isnt cool when you get to know them?

Faye: Shes kind of an asshole. Her entire character revolves around Alm. Theres literally nothing else to her. In a sea of characters with great characterization and depth, she sticks out really sorely. Unlike other characters that are similar (guys like Camilla or Tharja), Faye looks sweet and innocuous. Her design is nice and charming, shes not overbearing in speech either. But shes an asshole. Unlike other really assholish characters like Severa, Faye is not tsundere. But still an asshole. While her A support with Silque is kinda ok, the ones leading up to that really paint a highly unpleasant picture of Faye. She seems to dislike other women, and only wants to be around Alm, and to hell with everyone else. Im sorry, no matter how you paint it, Faye isnt gonna be anything other than a massive jerk to me. I dont take kindly to interlized misogyny, period.  (and saying Peri is worse isnt an argument because at least there was more to her than murder.)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like almost of all of the characters tbh, it's really hard to pick favorites

As for least favorites:

Delthea: what an absolute shitchild. She's redeemed by the fact she's a fantastic unit and rewarp is amazing. Her A supports with Clair and Luthier redeem her a bit too, and we know she cares about her brother deep down. At least she's a kid, and has room to grow out of it. I just can't deal with the bratty kid types.

Faye: for the reasons Flo said, but I can't help but feel a bit sorry for her in her A support with Alm

My favorite has got to be Saber. He's a baddass with frequent story presence and he's a fantastic unit to boot.

I really like Boey and Mae as well, especially because how well they play off on each other. They also remind me of team Takumi in that they are servants but that its also clear they have a very personal bond with their boss.

Lucas was a very pleasant surprise. I never really thought about him before the game but he really impressed me. He comes off as a great guy and as a unit he's often been a vital part of the team. And that voice.

And then there's Alm. I really like how witty they made him.

Python has got to be my least favorite unit. Nothing about his design or personality really speaks to me but worse then that is that he's just a terrible unit. I've reached the point where he's literal dead weight. 

I'm not impressed with Clive either. He's not an absolute failure like Python but he still has a sizable amount of failures under his belt as a unit. His role in the story also really isn't impressing me. Clive pushed Alm into being the leader and so his later actions seem really ungrateful to me. 

I don't really have any least-favorites, but I do have a lot of favorites though.

Tatiana: really nice design and a good unit overall. I like her caretaker personality.

Mae: She's not only cheeky, but she also serves as a confidant, so she's pretty well rounded. Also a glass canon.

Saber: mysterious, but can be quick to help others. Also, awesome unit.

Valbar: his chin

Leon: so sarcastic at times. Also archer with rangeeeeee.

Python: same as Leon.

Faye: controversial opinion, but I kind of love how she's a passive-aggressive bitch. I see a lot of myself in her.

Lukas: a character that's perfect that doesn't make a big deal of it (side eyes two other lance-wielding redheads)

Clair: presents one of the central themes of class vs merit, and is one of the first noble characters to overcome this issue.

Edited by Dandy Druid

Favourite:

Saber, he's a cool dude.

Delthea, mainly because seeing her putting in the work against Berkut and what's his face  was utterly hilarious.

Least Favourite:

Reina  Rinea, the fact that I had to look up her name should give you a clue. Most of the new characters in general do nothing for me. I'll give Faye this... out of all the new characters, I can remember her existence. 

Edited by I'm a Spheal

32 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

She seems to dislike other women, and only wants to be around Alm, and to hell with everyone else.

Apparently if you have Celica recruit Faye, Faye says she missed Celica. So there's that, I guess. Maybe she just takes a long time to warm up to people, like in her support with Silque?

My favourites (from JP version):

Celica: I love how elegant and kind she is.

Lukas: He's really chill and reliable.

Mae: Always there to cheer people up.

Mathilda: She has this really cool air about her.

Kliff: I love that he's cynical without being uncaring. Definitely my favourite out of the Ram Villagers.

I would put the Whitewings and Zeke up there too, but they're technically not Gaiden/Echoes characters.

Least favourites:

Boey: Boring. He's the butt of a few jokes sometimes I guess, but nothing special.

Clive: Just bland.

Forsyth: Boring. Takes everything seriously.

LuthierHoly crap you're boring. At least your sister is a great unit.

Python: Boring. It's hard to like someone who doesn't do anything.

There are some boring males in this game.

Favorites:

Genny - Design-wise, she's my favorite among the cast. Unfortunately, she doesn't get much characterization, with just 3 base convos and 1 support. I really do like her for what little we get of her, but I wish we had more.

Python and Forsyth - Oh my goodness, these two are absolutely amazing. While they work well as characters on their own, Python especially, together they make up some of my favorite character interactions in the whole series. I'm so glad they got their own flashback, and I'm excited to see them again in the Deliverance DLC.

Gray and Tobin - Again, a very well done duo. While not as great as the above in my opinion, they're still great on screen, and the fact that they're present throughout the story (Unless they die) gives them a lot of time to be characterized.

Mae and Boey - What's with this game and amazing duos... Again, fun interactions and active story-presence along with their supports and base convos. they're also adorable together

Y'know, I think this might be the first FE game where I enjoy more Male characters than female ones. Heck, first game even.

I suppose I could do my least favorites. I still enjoy most of these characters, but they're on the very end of the list.

Delthea, Jesse

For the record, I've warmed up to Faye. Azama is once again the only fictional character I wholeheartedly dislike as of right now.

Edited by Emerson

I am only Midway through chapter 3, but I pretty much like all the cast. The cast ranges from fine to great characters. I think Alm is a great Lord and Leon has a special place in my heart. 

The whole cast is great.....except Faye, I can't fucking stand her. Literally all she does is talk about Alm. And her C support with Silque put the nails in the fucking coffin. Her A support with Silque was the only thing that I have seen that is somewhat good. But to also add fuel to the fire, she's a pretty good unit and learns dope cleric spells. So I feel like I'm using her for usefulness alone. Bleh

Going to jump on the bandwagon and say Faye is my sole least favorite.

As for favorites:
-Clive: He's been a solid unit (though with some speed issues at the start), and I like his involvement in the overall plot
-Saber: Damn solid unit. What else is there to say?
-Mae: As expected, she's proven quite lovable and is probably the best mage in the game
-Leon: A gay character that isn't too blatant or overbearing-- after how Nintendo literally advertised Niles and Rhajat with Fates seemingly more to make a political statement than anything, Leon's a pleasant surprise. Sure, he's a bit camp, but Saber's a bit macho-- there's some stereotype to them, but it doesn't completely define them as characters

i'm only act 2, so seriously i'm not that far in
but so far my favs include:

Tobin - although i kinda knew i'd like him, pre-release had favorite written all over him for me

Python - he's very witty + his friendship with Forsyth. 

Clair - her voice suits her, she's a very classy lady, I love her??

Genny - I wish she had more supports + story dialogue, but the base converesation i unlocked is sweet

Kamui - I don't know. He's pretty funny I guess that's why

I don't really feel indifference/hate any characters yet.

Favorites:

Lukas: He's caring and sweet, and passionate about the Deliverance, which I think is great. Lukas is a total sweetheart, and I love him. I love everything about him: his design, his personality, and his voice (which is so beautiful). And, he works extremely well as a unit on my team!

Faye: I thought long and hard about Faye because her personality really made me rethink my opinion about her. When it comes to characters, design is a super important factor in whether or not I like a character, and when I first saw Faye, I adored her. But I felt weird reading her supports with Silque. I dislike the fact that her entire personality is built around loving Alm. I just wish she had more to her. In @Dandy Druid's post above, I looked at Faye's personality in another light, and now that I think about it, I'm quite passive-aggressive too at times, like Faye. Not in the way that I would outright tell someone I don't want to be friends with them, but in the way that I sometimes I can be a bit sassy without being a bitch.

Mae: A fantastic girl. She's always energetic and bubbly without being annoying, which is amazing because I've met a lot of people who are VERY annoying because of their bubbly personality. Her voice actor did an incredible job in voicing Mae. She gives tons of emotion with every single line and it's very amusing to listen to. Her relationship with Boey is also extremely well done; the two are very cute together!

Boey: I think Boey is a very good counterpart to Mae. He seems to be more serious, from what I've seen so far. I like his design too!

Palla: Her design in Echoes is one of my favorites in the entire game. I haven't reached her in my file yet, which is why I can't really say anything about her personality. But still, her amazing design alone is enough for me to put her on my favorites list, and I will definitely be using her when I can.

Least Favorites:

Fernand: I dislike the way he treated Alm and the others when they first met. He's very rude and it bothers me a lot.

Kliff: Seems boring to me. I don't like his design either, I've always found that Marth/Leo haircut to be ugly.

Note: Currently still on Act 3. I don't have Delthea, Tatiana, Zeke, Mycen, Nomah, or Conrad.

For Most:

Kamui- Asian Merc who gets things done for me. His design is one of my favorites. I like that he has dialogue when up against the first Necrodragon.

Alm- Wish he wasn't as forgiving but he's a cool dude. The voice acting only helps his character.

Forsyth- Probably an unpopular opinion but I love his driven character. His voice acting was done quite well and he's a great wall. Plan on turning him into a Merc once the Pitchfork ever comes out.

Lukas- Greg Chun was amazing here. Walls like Forsyth and has a likable character. I love that he's a nice guy but doesn't take Fernand's shit talk like Alm.

Catria- Gugugugugu- She's awesome. Fav whitewing and she's definitely my best of the three. Dat ring gives crits for days. Wish she got as much dialogue as Palla does.

Saber- Everyone's daddy. Cool that he got his own map with Celica and Conrad. He gets double crits a lot.

Genny- Invoke is honestly a gift from the gods. It's the most useful spells and she gets it pretty early on. I love her innocent/not innocent personality too.

Sonia- She's probably the fanservice character of Echoes, but she's a lot more likable than Camilla and Tharja. No obsessions and isn't in the game just for "tits and ass". Her Genny support is adorable and I love the delivery on her Full HP selection quote: "I'm unstoppable!"

Gray and Tobin- They bring humor and extra to the dialogue and they're honestly a great pair. Love that their endings has each other devastated.

For Least:

Python- He's a cool character and all, but he is definitely the WORST unit in the game. Misses often, never doubles, super fragile. He doesn't do anything well.

Clive- He can hold his own somewhat well compared to Python, but he's still much lesser compared to everyone else.

Other than that, I like all characters in terms of design and personality. None of them are just tropes or jokes, but have a reason to fight and their own stories. The only thing holding back Python and Clive is their capabilities as units.

Favorites: Gray, Tobin, Faye, Mae, Boey, Alm, Celica, Saber, Jesse.

You're probably wondering why Faye is one of my favorites. Honestly, she's grown on me. I appreciate that she genuianly does love Alm and

Spoiler

actually confesses. And when she gets friendzoned, she accepts the friendzone. In fact, she knew it would happen anyway.

Meanwhile, Tharja just stalks and lusts after Robin.

It's true that Tharja and Camilla have more than just their obbsesions. It's also true that they have 20+ Support Convos whereas Faye only has two. It's kinda an unfair comparison to be honest. A more fair comparison would be Marisha from FE3/12.

And honestly, after reading this quote where Celica recruits her instead, i don't think she's actually obbsesed with Alm.

"I thought about going after him just to teach him a lesson, but I didn’t. I’d probably get killed by some foul beast out there on my own, you know? "

If she was obbsesed, she would've gone after him regardless and damn the consequences.

What does upset me about Faye is that she can't Support with the Ram Villagers. And on that note, why can't Kliff Support with Alm. At least Tobin and Gray are story relevant.

I have yet to find someone i don't like. Actually, scratch that. Listen Fernand, i get that your entire family was killed by peasents but c'mon.

48 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Faye: Shes kind of an asshole. Her entire character revolves around Alm. Theres literally nothing else to her...

...  (and saying Peri is worse isnt an argument because at least there was more to her than murder.)

Yes, her entire character revolves around Alm but there's a difference between being rude and being an asshole. Faye is rude. Fernand is an asshole. And honestly, she's only been rude towards Silque, which she apologizes for later on. She's pretty friendly with the Ram Villagers+Celica.

Also, no, Peri is much, much worse. Sorry, but i'll take someone who genuianly loves someone over a psycopathic murderer who tried to kill her allies (see Peri and Felicia's A-Support). What i hate the most about Peri is that the game tries to pretend that her killing innocent people is a-ok, yet you're supposed to hate Hans, who basically does the same thing.

My issue with Faye in comparison to the other characters of a similar archetype is that theres so little to her.... she doesn't speak of anything BUT Alm so she ends up being very one note. Unlike Tharja, who has more to her and actually talks with other people, Faye is only Alm's stalker and that's it. She's definitely on the lower end of favorites for me but I don't hate her. I like her as a unit but I forget she exists characterwise.

My favorites are Lukas, Gray and Leon.

45 minutes ago, Emerson said:

For the record, I've warmed up to Faye. Azama is once again the only fictional

character I wholeheartedly dislike as of right now.

Its hard to top the sheer asshattery of Azama  hes a cunt  

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yes, her entire character revolves around Alm but there's a difference between being rude and being an asshole. Faye is rude. Fernand is an asshole. And honestly, she's only been rude towards Silque, which she apologizes for later on. She's pretty friendly with the Ram Villagers+Celica.

Also, no, Peri is much, much worse. Sorry, but i'll take someone who genuianly loves someone over a psycopathic murderer who tried to kill her allies (see Peri and Felicia's A-Support). What i hate the most about Peri is that the game tries to pretend that her killing innocent people is a-ok, yet you're supposed to hate Hans, who basically does the same thing.

I explained i have a massive problem with internalized misogyny, and Faye has a passive-aggressive conversation with Alm after his row with Celica. She may be nice to Celica, but its clear she hates the fact she and Alm are close. Faye really isnt a very nice person and im standing by that. I get that people hate Peri, but it has little to do with Faye and the context in which Faye is presented. Tharja and Camilla are a better comparison due to the context of their characters. I get that you like Faye, but i dont and never will.  Have a nice day. 

My issue with Faye in comparison to the other characters of a similar archetype is that theres so little to her.... she doesn't speak of anything BUT Alm so she ends up being very one note. Unlike Tharja, who has more to her and actually talks with other people, Faye is only Alm's stalker and that's it. She's definitely on the lower end of favorites for me but I don't hate her. I like her as a unit but I forget she exists characterwise.

Faye being a decent unit is the only vindication for me. Otherwise she would rot on the bench forever. Thats also something I struggle with Severa and Mia. Dislike them immensly, but good units otherwise. (Mia is only good in RD lol)

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

The only characters I haven't gotten yet are Tatiana, Zeke/Camus and Mycen, so just note that.

Favorites:

Saber: I really like how he's sort of a "dad" figure for Celica, and I love how is interactions grow with her throughout the game as well as the fact that he's quite plot-important and prominent throughout the entire thing. (so far) Also I love how he got his own map with Celica. That was really cool.

Est: I like her voice a lot and how her lines are delivered. She's also an amazing unit (as always) and my party would honestly be worse off without her.

Delthea: Even though she's bratty, she does actually care about people as seen in her A ranks with Claire and Luthier, which makes me happy. Her voice is pretty good although I think there's a bit much of the whole, "Call me awesome!" thing going on with her. She's a complete monster on the battle field and I respect that. Also I think her artwork is adorkable.

Mae: I love Cherami Leigh so I knew I was going to love Mae's character and love her I do. Her interactions are all really great along side her supports, which makes me happy.

Sonya: Sonya's support conversation with Genny was really good and made me like her a lot more as a character - same with her base conversations. And she's also amazing as a unit, which is a plus.

Honorable mentions: Alm, Gray, Tobin, Catria, Luthier, Boey and Leon.

Least Favorites/Dislikes:

None. At least not really. I don't particularly dislike any character when referring to personality if I'm honest, only characters gameplay wise. (Though I do wish Faye wasn't so thirsty. :/) And really the only character I've had a HUGE problem with so far has been Clive. My Clive sucks so bad.

RIP Clive and all his dreams 2K17

So far, I like just about everybody.

I love the genuine friendship both groups of friends show, as well as Valbo's posse.

The only one who really bugs me is Faye, but even then, I don't hate her.

I'm still in Act 2, but I like what I see so far.

Like: Pretty much everyone. Gray's probably my most favorite.

Least: Faye and Deen. Faye for reasons everyone's mentioned, Deen for being Coldsteel the Hedgehog the Human. Not even joking. He straight up says "It's nothing personal" when you fight against him, like that shitty Sonic OC.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Deen

I legitimately forgot he existed. Granted, I chose Sonya since it's Genny's only support, but still.

From what I've seen I agree that he's boring and really edgy.

GppNg9j.jpg

I like pretty much everyone (at worst I'm indifferent to them) 

Personal favorites being Clair, the whitewings, Kliff, Gray, and Lukas

i don't have the game yet

but i've spoiled basically all of it for myself already, so I can do this anyway!

favorites:

leon:  his character and voice are just totally my thing. he's all playful and fun and sarcastic in the way that I just really love. his design is really great too, and I really like his pose on the status screen. i make that same pose sometimes so bonus points for that. also his b support with kamui starts with this, so I relate to him on a spiritual level

alm:  adorable as fuck. he's just so generally likable in a way that's hard to describe. he feels so much more like a real, ordinary person than any of the other lords in a way that makes him easily my favorite of them.  his voice actor also did an amazing job in a lot of the more emotional moments. his pain and anger all felt so real, especially at that one point in the game.

saber:  this one's almost solely because of his voice. he's just so fun to listen to, I'm sure I wouldn't have liked him nearly as much if the game didn't have voice acting. thanks keith silverstein

gray:  he's clearly supposed to be the comic relief on alm's side, and he's damn good at it. he and tobin are a great duo.

mae:  just really cute and funny. i love how they managed to make her really upbeat and excited all the time without being obnoxious. she also has the best line of dialogue in the entire series

boey:  his interactions with mae are super funny but he also manages to be a really enjoyable character in his own way. i think he's one of the absolute best "kid mage" characters.  plus his name is pronounced like bowie and I like david bowie. david boey

sonya: really cool character with a great voice, a great design, and one really great support. i like her a lot

berkut:  i thought his story was honestly quite stupid but his voice actor did such an amazing job with it to the point that it saves the whole thing for me. it really gives the impression of someone whose world is being turned upside down. i had no idea who ian sinclair was until now but i look forward to seeing him in something again, because he did so well here.

least favorites:

faye: I have almost nothing to like about her. even then, I kinda find her lines with alm a little funny (her voice actor did a really good job making her sound Actually Insane), but there's nothing I really like about her overall aside from that.

clive: i just didn't find anything really likable about him. sorry clive

rinea:  i kinda wonder if like how berkut and alm are supposed to be parallels, faye and rinea are supposed to parallel each other in that they have no personality beyond their love of alm/berkut.  rinea really could've used more character

i don't dislike any of these characters though, I just don't like them. i like pretty much every playable character to an extent

Edited by unique

58 minutes ago, Shadowess said:

Genny - I wish she had more supports + story dialogue, but the base converesation i unlocked is sweet

Same. Genny would be higher on my list, but it's a shame she doesn't get more supports. I know she's an introvert, so it makes sense why she doesn't get a lot of lines, but I'm confused why she doesn't have an active support with Celica, since Genny's bio introduces her as someone who's like a little sister figure to Celica. A Saber or any male character support could've been interesting too, for story-related reasons.

53 minutes ago, Carter said:

Faye: I thought long and hard about Faye because her personality really made me rethink my opinion about her. When it comes to characters, design is a super important factor in whether or not I like a character, and when I first saw Faye, I adored her. But I felt weird reading her supports with Silque. I dislike the fact that her entire personality is built around loving Alm. I just wish she had more to her. In @Dandy Druid's post above, I looked at Faye's personality in another light, and now that I think about it, I'm quite passive-aggressive too at times, like Faye. Not in the way that I would outright tell someone I don't want to be friends with them, but in the way that I sometimes I can be a bit sassy without being a bitch.

I'm happy someone actually read mine.

52 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Forsyth- Probably an unpopular opinion but I love his driven character. His voice acting was done quite well and he's a great wall. Plan on turning him into a Merc once the Pitchfork ever comes out.

Maybe it's because I haven't been on SF in a while but Forsyth is a Reddit Favorite so you're not alone (I like him too, he's surprisingly a good unit for me)

Well I haven't played that much yet, I am still only on part one so I don't have a least favorite yet.  As to favorite right now I love Lucas his character is great and he is a really good unit as well.