Favorite and Least Favorite Characters So Far

12 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I don't know where you're getting this from, because I've seen almost no-one defending Faye. Like 90% of the people here and elsewhere say they either dislike her or don't care for her.

I'm not sure what you want me to say; where does one get an impression from anywhere? I've seen a lot of people talk about her and be very quick to defend pretty much everything about her, some even going so far as to say she's complex and a deconstruction. That, or that she's supposed to be unlikeable and that's why she's well written.

Here's one topic that touches on some of those things: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/65gqv5/my_thoughts_on_faye_but_also_how_she_relates_to/

There are other topics and discussions in threads where she shouldn't be talked about at all, yet she plops up. If you look around, I'm sure you'll find them.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this topic still about our favorites or are we arguing about why Faye is (subjectively) a bad character for wanting what she can't have. It's devolving real quick like.

Silque, Faye, Lukas, Forsyth, Clive, Mathilda, Delthea, Palla, Valbar, Kamui, Genny, Sonya and Deen are my favorites. Going by their battle quotes, base convos, level up quotes and supports I love em. That goes for their usefulness as units too, haven't been let down by them.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

I'm not sure what you want me to say; where does one get an impression from anywhere? I've seen a lot of people talk about her and be very quick to defend pretty much everything about her, some even going so far as to say she's complex and a deconstruction. That, or that she's supposed to be unlikeable and that's why she's well written.

Here's one topic that touches on some of those things: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/65gqv5/my_thoughts_on_faye_but_also_how_she_relates_to/

There are other topics and discussions in threads where she shouldn't be talked about at all, yet she plops up. If you look around, I'm sure you'll find them.

I don't necessarily disagree with this guy, but I don't agree enough to say she's well written or complex even if she is meant to be unlikable. I would personally say I would prefer Shinon or Jill, even if Tellius does beat you over the head with the racism card.

But I meant that it's not a popular opinion that people think she's a good or complex character - she's indisputably mostly disliked. Just because some would defend her (mostly because they feel obligated to) doesn't mean I haven't seen the majority of people trash her.

I like most of the cast but in particular: Alm, Celica, Gray, Python, Matilda, Mae, Valbar, Leon, Kamui.

Feel as though some of the non-required characters could get a bit more "between battle" dialogue after they were recruited, but mostly love the characters in this game.

Edited by Tryhard

Aw, do people not like Clive that much? That's sucks. I really liked him as a character, although he isn't amazing on the battlefield. A main reason I like him is his relationship with Mathilda, who actually is a great unit. Their supports are one of my favorites and I just really like them. I also really like Sonya because of her personality, backstory, and *ahem* design. Did you know she actually has a battle conversation with Jedah in Act 4? I found that out by pure accident.

1 hour ago, Lord Raymond said:

Aw, do people not like Clive that much? That's sucks. I really liked him as a character, although he isn't amazing on the battlefield. A main reason I like him is his relationship with Mathilda, who actually is a great unit. Their supports are one of my favorites and I just really like them. I also really like Sonya because of her personality, backstory, and *ahem* design. Did you know she actually has a battle conversation with Jedah in Act 4? I found that out by pure accident.

So they have a conversation when you sic her on him?  Sweet!

Favourites:
Gray:  really funny guy. His dialogues are the best I have seen in a game.
Saber: just a cool dude, his role in Celica's route and an awesome unit.
Clair: comes across as a snobby lady but has a heart of gold and curious to learn new things.
Mae: so energetic but without being annoying.

Least favourite:
Faye: I really want to like her because she is a great Cleric but everything revolves around Alm.

I actually do like Clive as well--not one of my favorites, but I feel he's one of those understated characters who gets written off because he's not "exciting" but there's more to him. I like that he's trying to do the right thing, but his prejudices still show (which is realistic) and he learns to overcome them. I also like his more pragmatic outlook as a contrast to alm's--while in FE, alm's works out more because you gotta recruit everyone etc, clive's outlook is honestly more realistic and I can appreciate that. 

Also Clive/Mathilda is best couple

It's a shame he's pretty meh as a unit, though

Edited by Thor Odinson

27 minutes ago, Thane said:

I bet people just dislike Clive because he looks like someone who you just can't help stealing lunch money from. 

I think a lot more people would like him if he was a good unit.

People have a hard time seperating character from combat. Why use your favorites, or even have a favorite, that's not l33t LTC?

I just don't care for Clive, yea, I understand him and also why people like him but even with all of his story involvement I just don't really like him very much.
I don't care he's not good as a unit, I like Python a lot and I think he's hot garbage ingame

14 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

People have a hard time seperating character from combat. Why use your favorites, or even have a favorite, that's not l33t LTC?

Oh tell me about it. In a game where everyone's viable, Virion manage to be the worst one,and as a result no one knows about his good supports. At least Clive has a story presence though.

21 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Yeah somerimes  like Faye is a great unit and is on my squad, so its why i was trying to like her  characters like Camilla in Fates is kinda ass in personality, but hella good on the battlefield, so theres that too. Or like why Python for me is like meh, but its clear hes a cool dude and im like "GET GUD THO BUDDY!" Lol

13 minutes ago, Sophie said:

I just don't care for Clive, yea, I understand him and also why people like him but even with all of his story involvement I just don't really like him very much.
I don't care he's not good as a unit, I like Python a lot and I think he's hot garbage ingame

I think we need to get something really clear here cuz theres way too much misunderstanding going on. Its ok to like or dislike characters that are popular or unpopular. If people like Faye or Berkut, its perfectly ok. If people dislike Clive or Celica, thats fine too. Im not sure why its becoming something of a witch hunt or why people are getting way too defensive about the characters they like or dont like. Or why i found myself getting chased down by a user in threads trying to lecture me on Faye. Or why its "parroting a meme" to make observations about characters. (Deen and Clive come to mind) People have opinions and these are things you can say "different strokes for different folks"

2 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Yeah somerimes  like Faye is a great unit and is on my squad, so its why i was trying to like her  characters like Camilla in Fates is kinda ass in personality, but hella good on the battlefield, so theres that too. Or like why Python for me is like meh, but its clear hes a cool dude and im like "GET GUD THO BUDDY!" Lol

I think we need to get something really clear here cuz theres way too much misunderstanding going on. Its ok to like or dislike characters that are popular or unpopular. If people like Faye or Berkut, its perfectly ok. If people dislike Clive or Celica, thats fine too. Im not sure why its becoming something of a witch hunt or why people are getting way too defensive about the characters they like or dont like. Or why i found myself getting chased down by a user in threads trying to lecture me on Faye. Or why its "parroting a meme" to make observations about characters. (Deen and Clive come to mind) People have opinions and these are things you can say "different strokes for different folks"

Oh, I know. I didn't mean to come off a bit rude about it, if I did. Sorry.

8 minutes ago, Sophie said:

Oh, I know. I didn't mean to come off a bit rude about it, if I did. Sorry.

Nah, nah dear, yer fine. I as just using your post as an example of people feeling.a bit like they have to somehow apologize for disliking a character, cuz theres unnecessary friction going on in this thread. I kinda avoided like, almost every pre-release thing about this game. (Irl bollocks really had a lot to do with it) So im curious about what people think. 

Just now, Loki Laufeyson said:

Nah, nah dear, yer fine. I as just using your post as an example of people feeling.a bit like they have to somehow apologize for disliking a character, cuz theres unnecessary friction going on in this thread. I kinda avoided like, almost every pre-release thing about this game. (Irl bollocks really had a lot to do with it) So im curious about what people think. 

Ah, alright, it's fine. I can just come off as bit unintentionally rude sometimes, so, I was just making sure.

1 hour ago, Selena4Lyfe said:

So they have a conversation when you sic her on him?  Sweet!

Yeah, its because apparently Jedah is her father and turned her two sisters into witches.

15 hours ago, Jedi said:

I gotta make another post just to say I love Forsyth, just from his dork over the topness and his chats with Python and such are quite good. 

I love his stupid pun, I love his miss lines "I MEANT TO DO THAT" and everything, its almost like i'm partly like him, he even wears my favorite color, I mean he grows a little slow as a unit at first, but mine now like slays witches who happen to warp behind and holds the front if need-be with huge power haha.

Forsyth and Python are a good duo. A bit more straight forward than Gray/Tobin and Mae/Boey, but they have a good schtick going.

Python as the naturally talented one who doesn't give a shit about anything other than making snarky comments and can't take anything seriously, and Forsyth as the clumsy/completely out of his element one who absolutely does everything the best he can with 110% effort.

25 minutes ago, Lord Raymond said:

Yeah, its because apparently Jedah is her father and turned her two sisters into witches.

*headdesk*

Dude!  Spoilers!  I'm still clearing Celica's Act 3, lemme catch up!

18 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Forsyth and Python are a good duo. A bit more straight forward than Gray/Tobin and Mae/Boey, but they have a good schtick going.

Python as the naturally talented one who doesn't give a shit about anything other than making snarky comments and can't take anything seriously, and Forsyth as the clumsy/completely out of his element one who absolutely does everything the best he can with 110% effort.

I'm guessing it's that commitment that earned him the station of Lieutenant.  I wonder if Clive gave him the promotion out of legitimate impressiveness at his commitment or an endearing sort of pity?  I mean Lukas seems more ideal for the position if you ask me, but the humor in the situation still stands.  lol

Also, a question for the folks around here.  Who all has lost Fae on their journey and who regrets it at all?  I have and I don't, knowing how flat she is as a character and how middle-of-the-road she is as a unit (I mean she did make for a decent Pegasus Knight, but Clair quickly outclassed her once I got some grinding in and gave her the HOLIEST OF HOLIES RIDERSBANE!  (I will NEVER let that die!)

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

6 minutes ago, Sable Argyle said:

Saber's amazing, I feel like he's the new Haar, just throw him into a pit of enemies and watch them all get crit.

Ahhh man, dude's becoming a legend as a Myrmidon!  And don't neglect the eargasm you get while watching him go.  He's the first character I've ever threatened to go gay for. xD

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

I'm only on act 3, but my opinions so far:

Favorite characters:

Python: Definitely my number one at the moment. He's a little iffy as a unit, but his dialogue is hilarious, I was dying during his B support with Forsyth. I adore his dynamic and interactions with Forsyth and how Python trolls him, and it's so cute how good of friends they are despite being polar opposites. I can relate to him as well since I'm a laid back person who enjoys a rather simple lifestyle in which I can kinda just do what I want. Also it helps that I find him extremely attractive.

Lukas: He really is a sweetheart, and that unassuming smile of his sealed the deal for me when he popped into the game. God he's just adorable. His story about his brother broke my heart for him, but he was so positive about the outcome. I just really like his character. Also goddamn that voice.

Forsyth: I thought he was gonna be boring, but nope! Instead I found out that he's an absolute cinnamon roll, too precious for this world, so optimistic and enthusiastic. His stupid victory pun really got me too, haha. It helps that his voice actor did a spectacular job, and he's a kickass unit.

Gray: His artwork makes him look like he's high as kite, so even in the most tense of FE moments, I burst out laughing whenever it pops up on the bottom screen. Otherwise, his dialogue is really funny, and I love his back and forths with Tobin, I just don't get sick of the guy. Max Mittelman, who's a fantasic voice actor, really brings him to life.

It's hard to pick favorites when I really like pretty much everyone.

Least favorite characters:

Faye: Literally the only character I don't like so far. An obvious pick, but I can't help it. She's so horribly uninteresting and shallow, and I can't relate to her at all. I've had friends completely abandon me after getting a significant other, and her treatment of Silque in their early supports reminds me of that and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I heard she gets better in their A support, but I don't know if that'll redeem her in my eyes. She's obsessed with Alm, and that's literally all there is to her. In a sea of characters who feel more real because their entire character doesn't hinge on a trope-y quirk, she sticks out as being the one character that does and turns out terribly one-note and dull because of it. She is probably someone I'd get annoyed with really easily in real life, and I have a lot of patience.

Delthea: I haven't gotten her yet, but I'm already dreading her as I've heard she's quite the brat-- and I do not like brats.

My opinion of Celica also soured a little after her argument with Alm, but I'll have to wait and see what happens.

I don't want to go too in-depth, but honestly I'm torn on Mae. She's likeable enough on her own and she's an amazing unit, but honestly I think she digs into Bowey a little too much. Not only are her insults and comments often much further below the belt than Bowey's are, but she butts into his one-on-one conversations with Celica in the story just to insult him and provoke him into an argument and overall she just reminds me a bit of somebody I don't like in real life.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

4 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

I don't want to go too in-depth, but honestly I'm torn on Mae. She's likeable enough on her own and she's an amazing unit, but honestly I think she digs into Bowey a little too much. Not only are her insults and comments often much further below the belt than Bowey's are, but she butts into his one-on-one conversations with Celica in the story just to insult him and provoke him into an argument and overall she just reminds me a bit of somebody I don't like in real life.

This is obviously just me, but I suppose it's a result of her poorly managing her emotions towards Boey and fearing that he won't reciprocate.  A sort of emotional buffer as to keep the pain at a minimum if things don't start off or work out between them, or an attempt at killing the love relationship before it really starts.

4 minutes ago, Selena4Lyfe said:

This is obviously just me, but I suppose it's a result of her poorly managing her emotions towards Boey and fearing that he won't reciprocate.  A sort of emotional buffer as to keep the pain at a minimum if things don't start off or work out between them, or an attempt at killing the love relationship before it really starts.

Yeah, but that doesn't really give her license to be as mean as she is towards him. Any time he appears in the story he is either trying to reassure Celica of his support of her or offer her some reasonable, cautious advice, but Mae always comes in and calls him a weak, cowardly, or both.