Favorite and Least Favorite Characters So Far

Strictly from a story and writing perspective...

Favorites

Gray - Funny as hell with a relaxed outlook on life that helps him become more relatable and feel like a part of the world he's in. Works well with Tobin, who's not as notable.

Jesse - This one surprised me the most. Jesse is surprisingly charming and likeable, having a big dream that he goes after while enjoying his free life. 

Lukas - The guy who could talk anyone out of their clothes with that voice. I really dig his calm and collected attitude, even if he's not the most special character. 

Silque - The girl who could talk anyone out of their clothes with that voice. I really dig what little we learn about her, and it makes me wish she had at least one good support. The biggest problem with the lack of a shipping mechanic in this game is that I can't set her up with Lukas and have them make a baby that'll have the sexiest voice known to man.

Honorable mention

Mycen 
- They really hype this guy up, and he's so badass whenever he appears. His and Alm's support is probably the best one in the game, which helps a lot.

Least favorite

Berkut 
- Manchild who later does something I can't stand with a villain.

Rinea - Almost a literal accessory to the previously mentioned manchild, and the two have absolutely zero chemistry. That's particularly bad because I believe she literally doesn't talk to anyone else.

Faye - Ah yes, the impossibly deep, complex and nuanced Faye that I've heard so much about. It's just too bad I don't see any of this brilliant deconstructioning people have been talking about, and she comes across as unlikeable, uninteresting and completely superfluous since Alm already had an admirer in Clair.

Fernand - He's just laughable. "Some people killed his family, so now he hates commoners!" I mean, what? And the game has the audacity to tell me on multiple occasions to feel bad for the guy when he betrays his friends and country because of this? I get it, I get it, he's emotional and for a good reason, but the guy didn't lash out at someone for a small slight, he straight up fights against his former kingdom and friends while being a shitty person, even daring to call them traitors. It would've made much more sense if they worked in the angle that he left because Clive was ready to hand over the Deliverance and all they had fought for because Alm was just some random chap whose abilities hadn't been tested yet - NOT because he was a commoner. As it stands, Fernand can be summed up with "tragic past, feel bad for him", which is just not enough. Such a waste of his awesome voice acting.

Dishonorable mentions

Celica - It feels like I've seen his character dozens of times before, and she acts so dumb in her meeting with Alm in the second arc, and downright idiotically in the fourth and fifth. Honestly, I feel like she and Alm don't work as well together in tandem with the main theme of the game as they should, though most of that can be blamed on Alm. She's not offensive or anything, barring her moments of idiocy, just...not fun.

Delthea - "Love me! Adore me! Praise me! Aren't I cute?!" - Also, what the hell is her epilogue?

Mycen - Yupp, he's here too, because the game lets him get away with a few too many things.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That feeling when one of your favorites is Clive and the rest of the Fandom hates him...

Also Deen, too.

I can't really think of a character I don't like - top to bottom, this is the best cast FE has seen personality wise.

Zeke, Tobin, Luthier, Saber are my absolute faves tho

23 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

That feeling when one of your favorites is Clive and the rest of the Fandom hates him...

Also Deen, too.

I can't really think of a character I don't like - top to bottom, this is the best cast FE has seen personality wise.

Zeke, Tobin, Luthier, Saber are my absolute faves tho

I adore Deen and Clive, although especially Clive. 

A lot of people seem to find him bland, but I like where the story has gone so far - he passes on the mantle for his own reasons (but there's kind of something there that he was also just tired of leadership - I'm pretty sure that was implied in a few conversations), he doubts himself constantly with his actions but he tends to stick with them (not giving in to Mathilda's captors and when it turns out Alm might not be related to Mycen), and he is a bit of a hypocrite in a way with the nobles/commoners debate, which you can see he's trying to overcome but it still does show through (Alm's conversation with him in regards to rescuing Delthea). 

I've seen a few call him one-note, which I don't agree with at all. There's a lot there for me. 

...And his conversations with Mathilda are still just too adorable. Possibly one of my favourite canon couples now in FE :D 

I love Gray.  His convos are friggin hilarious.  And Clair is my spirit animal.

Fernand is a douche.  Some commoners killed my family so now I wanna destroy the whole damn kingdom!

3 hours ago, Thane said:

Faye - Ah yes, the impossibly deep, complex and nuanced Faye that I've heard so much about. It's just too bad I don't see any of this brilliant deconstructioning people have been talking about, and she comes across as unlikeable, uninteresting and completely superfluous since Alm already had an admirer in Clair.

i'm... not sure if you're joking or not, but I haven't heard anyone describe faye with any of those words

in fact, she has been mentioned negatively 19 times in this thread!

i've seen a few people say "she's not that bad" but i haven't seen a single person claim she's a deep or complex character

16 minutes ago, unique said:

i'm... not sure if you're joking or not, but I haven't heard anyone describe faye with any of those words

i've seen a few people say "she's not that bad" but i haven't seen a single person claim she's a deep or complex character

Did you actually count? Anyway, for as much as i like Faye and will most likely defend her, i'm not gonna say that she's a deep or complex character. Because she isn't. She's very one-note (which doesn't really bother me because 80% of FE characters are one-note and that includes some fan-favorites) and i can understand why people don't like her, even if she's getting more hate than she actually deserves imo (seriously, Peri got less hate, how?)

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Did you actually count? Anyway, for as much as i like Faye and will most likely defend her, i'm not gonna say that she's a deep or complex character. Because she isn't. She's very one-note (which doesn't really bother me because 80% of FE characters are one-note and that includes some fan-favorites) and i can understand why people don't like her, even if she's getting more hate than she actually deserves imo (seriously, Peri got less hate, how?)

yes

also I think more people liked peri cause she had at least a little backstory and had a few decent supports, like her one with laslow

faye just doesn't really have anything to her aside from being obsessed with alm, and doesn't really get any supports to explain why or give her more backstory or personality

maybe if she was in a different game she'd be better but there's really not much to her here, and as a result, not much to like about her

I feel like this'll be a fairly unpopular one, but Deen. He has little to no character development unlike others, and gives  very little insight into who he is but I feel as if it makes him seem more like a jaded mercenary who's seen everything already. Hell, he's kinda edgy and that honestly makes me like him a bit more because he doesn't overdue it but has enough of it to be amusing  

Also every other Merc on Celica's side got screwed with stats's so he's legitimately the one who carried that entire half of the game 

Another favorite, or rather duo of favorites would be Berkut and Fernand, I just like those two a fair bit for spoilery reasons 

As for least favorite... I'd have to say Faye for reasons that have likely been stated by someone else, and the only other character that I disliked was Gray, but he worked his way into my heart eventually.

Edited by Zeyphrus

1 minute ago, unique said:

yes

also I think more people liked peri cause she had at least a little backstory and had a few decent supports, like her one with laslow

faye just doesn't really have anything to her aside from being obsessed with alm, and doesn't really get any supports to explain why or give her more backstory or personality

maybe if she was in a different game she'd be better but there's really not much to her here, and as a result, not much to like about her

In Peri's case, she has like 20 Support Convos whereas Faye only has two. So it's kinda unfair. Faye should've been able to Support with the other Ram Villagers tho. That's actually a complaint i have with this game, some characters that should be able to have Support Convos with each other don't (Clair and Clive for instance).

But like, i would much prefer a girl who's obbsesed with a guy that she genuianly loves while also being sometimes rude, and is capable of recognizing that she was rude, over a girl who kills her servants either for fun or because they fucked up. Also, Peri's Supports with Felica took away all chance of redemption to me. Peri's my least favorite character in the entire series because of it.

And besides, for as obbsesed Faye is with Alm, she's able to accept the friendzone reasonably.

I'm only teasing the heel of Act 3 as of writing this, sooo...

Favorites so Far

Clair: A noble with a heart of gold, the innocence of a lamb (around Alm), and the teeth of an asp (with Gray).  She reminds me of Maribelle from Awakening, except even more badass as a Falcon Knight (seriously!  FK WITH RIDERSBANE!  UNKILLABLE BADASS!)

Python: I think it's because I see a bit of myself in him that I like his characterization at current, though I can see that laziness fading out soon.

Lukas: He’s so cool and levelheaded, able to see the big picture regardless of what happens.  I can’t help but question why the heck he wasn’t leader of the deliverance prior to Alm being burdened with the position.  He seems much more competent than Clive and equally as empathetic.

Gray: Laid-back, self-assured, and has seen a whole 30 women, the stud.  How can’t you love ‘im?  And I oddly found him endearing in an understandable way with how he got burnt by Clair.  Poor lad probably does love Clair, but doesn’t know the difference between a puppy-dog crush and a true love relationship.  Honestly, I think it was nice of Clair to spell out what love truly is – saved him and her from a lot of tail-chasing frustration, ya’know?

Mae & Boe: I enjoy the chemistry between them!  It's such a sibling sorta-thing and yet I totally don't mind the hopeless crush Mae has for Boe.  Her support with Celica regarding it was so adorable!  Really feel like a dick letting Boe die - DAMNED ARCHANISTS (or whatever that undead-warlock-looking-class is)!

Unlikable Douches

Fernand: I’ve never wished for a character to die every time I beat him as I have this dick.  Because his family was a bunch of cretins to some desperate peasants in their territory and the peasants violently revolted, he refuses to understand what led to that revolt and instead has resigned to basically fuck over anyone who isn’t of noble station?  Fuck him, his Bond Villain hair and his overly posh accent.

Berkut: He comes across as a spoiled brat, simply fighting in the war to cure his boredom.  I wonder if the lass he has with her is in that relationship against her will?  The vibes I get between them suggests as much…

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

I adore Deen and Clive, although especially Clive. 

A lot of people seem to find him bland, but I like where the story has gone so far - he passes on the mantle for his own reasons (but there's kind of something there that he was also just tired of leadership - I'm pretty sure that was implied in a few conversations), he doubts himself constantly with his actions but he tends to stick with them (not giving in to Mathilda's captors and when it turns out Alm might not be related to Mycen), and he is a bit of a hypocrite in a way with the nobles/commoners debate, which you can see he's trying to overcome but it still does show through (Alm's conversation with him in regards to rescuing Delthea). 

I've seen a few call him one-note, which I don't agree with at all. There's a lot there for me. 

...And his conversations with Mathilda are still just too adorable. Possibly one of my favourite canon couples now in FE :D 

Welp, you have me properly hyped to finish the campaign to overthrow Desaie (or however you spell it; guy is a BITCH to take down! xD)

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

I agree - Clive is really down to earth (aka, what most people call "boring", but that's exactly what makes him believable, and therefore compelling). The emotions he feels are something I can either imagine myself feeling, or would believe someone to genuinely have in those situations. He definitely doesn't just say "I love you corrin alm, you're the best!" forever and always, and I really liked that about him.

Too bad the game gives him the shaft pretty much. He's pretty useful for a little bit as the early bearer of the ridersbane at least.

Deen on the other hand, has hands down turned in to the best dreadfighter on the route - he's either on par with Saber or better than him. I couldn't imagine picking Sonia over him, as another very capable dreadfighter pretty much out of the box has blown away anything another low level mage could have done for me.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

Favorites:

Alm: He's kinda adorable, between saying stuff like "Hello, Mr. Sun" with a straight face and some of his dorky comments in general when you examine the environment. Really, he's just very likable in a lot of ways, and I'd say he's my second-favorite lord after Roy.

Mathilda: The best. A great unit, gets to be awesome both in story and out, and generally lives up to her reputation as a war goddess. Plus her relationship with Clive is surprisingly sweet.

Clair: All Hail the Goddess of Killing Cavalry! A great unit who also has some good interactions with others, especially Alm. Plus, her Support chain with Grey is fantastic.

The Masked Knight: Great for spoiler reasons, and also because he's a great unit.

Mae: I wasn't initially sold on Mae, but she has some great lines and a fun personality in general. I wish she was a little better in general as a unit, though.

Palla: Still best Whitewing, 10/10 would recruit again.

Honorable mentions go to: pretty much every playable character who isn't mentioned below, because Echoes has one of the best casts in the series.

Neutral On:

Nomah: I don't actively dislike Nomah, but he doesn't really do much for me either. I wish his Support with Celica had been something more serious instead of him being a creep.

Coldsteel the Hedgehog the Human Deen: An edgelord supreme. Didn't recruit him because he's 2edgy4me, but read his supports/base convos and listened to his post-battle quote if someone dies and goodness is he boring and tryhard.

Rinea: Didn't get enough screentime for me to go in either direction with her.

Least Favorites:

Faye: Faye is just a waste of a character. Leon, Mathilda, Clair, Delthea and Gray all show romantic attraction to other characters and all have more aspects to their personalities, but there's nothing else to Faye. Plus she isn't even as good as her most obvious predecessor Marisha, who had the benefits of a( being responsible for some of the funniest conversations in the game, b( the game not treating her crush as anything more than a crush, and c( being a great unit as a Mage or Cleric, whereas Faye is just kinda mediocre except for getting Anew.

Fernand: I'm sure I'm supposed to dislike him to some extent, but this is definitely a case where the writers overestimated how much sympathy his tragic backstory would allow for. Maybe if his split from the Deliverance had been more built up to I wouldn't dislike him as much as I do, but abandoning his friends and country instantly with zero hesitation or remorse just makes him thoroughly unsympathetic to me. Plus, I find villains whose sole motivation is "a select number of a certain larger group wronged me in the past so now I hate all of them!" to just be badly written in general; it just comes off to me like those characters were already prejudiced and whatever wrongdoing they suffered reinforced that pre-existing hate.

Berkut: See Fernand above, but replace "tragic backstory" with "love for Rinea." Given a certain event late in the game, I have absolutely zero sympathy for him.

I gotta make another post just to say I love Forsyth, just from his dork over the topness and his chats with Python and such are quite good. 

I love his stupid pun, I love his miss lines "I MEANT TO DO THAT" and everything, its almost like i'm partly like him, he even wears my favorite color, I mean he grows a little slow as a unit at first, but mine now like slays witches who happen to warp behind and holds the front if need-be with huge power haha.

3 hours ago, unique said:

Hes probably referring to reddit posts about Faye. Some people there seem to think theres a deep meta there in the character. I agree with him in that its a pair of dingo's kidneys. There isnt any deep meta tbh, and ive read a couple of the posts about it. Thor Odinson really nailed the final straw regarding Faye. That really passive-aggressive moment after Alm rows with Celica. Yikes. 

I like Clive. He's mediocre as a unit but ok as a dude. Hes got flaws (a bit prideful and acted pretty rashly regarding Alm but i think its cuz he knows some shizz, ya know? But still...) but is a dude who tries to really make shit work. 

Luthier is a sexy nerd. I love hims. 

Berkut is such a ridiculous toerag, i cant help but love the hell out of his tantrums. That voice actor really helps. My shit-boy, cry some more. Omg hes so entertaining. 

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

1 minute ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

I like Clive. He's mediocre as a unit but ok as a dude. Hes got flaws (a bit prideful and acted pretty rashly regarding Alm but i think its cuz he knows some shizz, ya know? But still...) but is a dude who tries to really make shit work. 

I bet you weren't surprised to see I like him and Forsyth lol, among other characters. 

Yeah I like how human Clive is as I mentioned earlier, and also small detail I quite liked, with the first Berkut and Fernand fight, its not Alm who goes out to meet them its Clive, characters besides the lord with HISTORY AND RELATIONS AND STUFF.

Hehe, my dude, yeah i can see how you can dig Clive's style. I admit i havent gotten to know Forsyth cuz he lagged behind on my squad and i just didnt feel like using him. Maybe if i get some villager forks or something. Certainly dont got a beef with him. Green is a nice color ;)

4 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Hehe, my dude, yeah i can see how you can dig Clive's style. I admit i havent gotten to know Forsyth cuz he lagged behind on my squad and i just didnt feel like using him. Maybe if i get some villager forks or something. Certainly dont got a beef with him. Green is a nice color ;)

I just fought a little in the Deliverance base, because I wanted to see him as a Knight, and he's progressed past Lukas since haha. 

BARON FORSYTH. Also one of his victory lines is literally "I'm a Forsyth to be reckoned with" and I had a good laugh because its a pun I'd have made.

1 hour ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Berkut is such a ridiculous toerag, i cant help but love the hell out of his tantrums. That voice actor really helps. My shit-boy, cry some more. Omg hes so entertaining. 

oh yeah this was a big one for me

the way he says stuff like "WHY CAN'T I BEAT HIM?" and "SILENCE, WOMAN!" and "AT THE HANDS OF PEASANTS!" is just so funny

his voice actor did such a good job I love him 

even if his actual story and character were pretty lame his voice just made up for it to the point that he became one of my favorites

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I just fought a little in the Deliverance base, because I wanted to see him as a Knight, and he's progressed past Lukas since haha. 

BARON FORSYTH. Also one of his victory lines is literally "I'm a Forsyth to be reckoned with" and I had a good laugh because its a pun I'd have made.

it's especially fitting since a lot of fan translations had his name as "Force"

Just now, unique said:

it's especially fitting since a lot of fan translations had his name as "Force"

Yeah its really great honestly. 

5 hours ago, unique said:

I'm most certainly not joking. When the base conversations and supports were leaked, people went above and beyond to defend everything Faye said, with many saying things like her being a brilliant deconstruction of a trope and, more commonly, that she was a brilliant character because she was meant to be unlikeable. Even if that were the case, and I remain utterly unconvinced, it doesn't make her complex or engaging, nor does it change the fact that she adds nothing to the overall story or the cast.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'm most certainly not joking. When the base conversations and supports were leaked, people went above and beyond to defend everything Faye said, with many saying things like her being a brilliant deconstruction of a trope and, more commonly, that she was a brilliant character because she was meant to be unlikeable. Even if that were the case, and I remain utterly unconvinced, it doesn't make her complex or engaging, nor does it change the fact that she adds nothing to the overall story or the cast.

*points down to signature* I believe the term is quod erat demonstrandum. Or thus it has been demonstrated.

I knew people were going to start tearing apart Faye the moment the game released. Heck, I even took that quote from a post I made four days before it released in Japan. Worst part is that I can bet why and even made a wonderful meme about it.

Edited by Thran Starcrod

1 minute ago, Thran Starcrod said:

*points down to signature* I believe the term is quod erat demonstrandum. Or thus it has been demonstrated.

What on earth are you talking about? People have bashed Faye, but as I just said, I've been in debates where she has been defended ad nauseam, if we're going to start using Latin proverbs in an attempt to make our arguments sound more valid. 

Camilla has been defended, yes, but the vast majority of the people I talk to can't stand her. I'm not exactly sure what you think you're proving here.

Here's what I wrote about Camilla a long time ago during Fates' haydays.

Here's my take on Camilla: she's got no potential because she wasn't meant to be more than eye candy and fan service. Her role in the main story is tiny, her supports are pretty bad, she's the worst offender of the player worshipping disease that plagues this game, and the characters don't act normally around her. Her entire character is an insult to basic human interaction in fiction; people wouldn't be okay with someone like Camilla around, and the Nohrian family, especially Corrin, wouldn't put up with her trying to bone them all the time. She's a suffocating, mentally unstable person who's projecting her own problems onto others or downright threatens or coerces others to get what she wants, yet she's treated as a good person and character both by the game and the fans, and I can't understand that.

You know you have problems writing a character when every conversation she's in seems forced an unnatural, and that the people talking to her are reacting in ways no sane person would. Throughout her supports, all of the things she does or says accumulates, and in my opinion the bad things far outweigh the postives; even if she does or says something that on its own wouldn't be too offensive, the fact remains that if you combine all of the shitty behavior in her supports, she comes across as a very horrid person. She forces Suzukaze to join her little tea parties against his will, she threatens Severa, constantly makes Corrin uncomfortable and infantilizes Takumi. I'm sure she does more, but those are the things that stick out. 

There, am I allowed to criticize Faye now, your majesty?

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

There, am I allowed to criticize Faye now?

I never said you couldn't criticize Faye. My entire point is that people who flocked to defend Camilla would tear apart Faye. I've yet to see any actual defenders of her, only that, "She isn't as bad as I thought she was gonna be." Unlike Camilla which a *lot* of the people I talked to literally twisted themselves into pretzels trying to defend her without outright admitting to the fact that they like her because exposed anime boobs. But I digress and apologize for steering this off the topic. Next post I make in here is gonna list the characters I like and don't like and why.

Edited by Thran Starcrod

1 minute ago, Thran Starcrod said:

I never said you couldn't criticize Faye. My entire point is that people who flocked to defend Camilla would tear apart Faye. I've yet to see any actual defenders of her, only that, "She isn't as bad as I thought she was gonna be." Unlike Camilla which a *lot* of the people I talked to literally twisted themselves into pretzels trying to defend her without outright admitting to the fact that they like her because exposed anime boobs.

So you know for a fact that everyone who defends Camilla dislikes Faye, then? You know these are all the same people? And why on earth would you then tell me about your silly little prediction that essentially boils down to "people will have different opinions about characters" when I dislike both, but Camilla far more so? What exactly are you trying to tell me here?

2 hours ago, Thane said:

I don't know where you're getting this from, because I've seen almost no-one defending Faye. Like 90% of the people here and elsewhere say they either dislike her or don't care for her.

Edited by Tryhard