• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Salamud said:

Alm is never at a point where he questions his life of war. He himself never faces a downpoint of living by the sword. Celica by contrast is the one who gets humbled.

I wish they made him reconsider his life choices after he killed Rudolf; Celica told him not to go to war, but he didn't listen and went down his linear path, and the result wasn't pretty. Instead, the game just says Rudolf planned it all along, and shows Alm slightly mad at Mycen for not telling him anything. Celica later even apologizes for not telling him.

I feel the need to add that maybe (along with other reasons) Celica still pictured Alm as the innocent and simple farm boy she grew up with and seeing him as a warrior leading an army might was probably a shock to her. Just a thought.

I wouldn't call her a hypocrite or bigot, especially after I gained more insight about her character. She seems to be stressed out as all hell... and dumb.

Alm, the math is easy to do, the empire do crap and attack. There's the rebellion. Alm join it and become it's leader. The logic is there. If you expect a victim to not do anything, there's problem.
Wherea Celica is... naive,' kay let's go to the temple, maybe it'll fix everything, and later trust that one guy.
You catch on what Alm is going to do, and it make sense, Not so quickly for Celica and then... well, naive;

Not gonna lie, it's sorta frustrating at the end, but I love this game too much. It's doesn't bother much at all.

I don't think her behavior is all that crazy frankly. Unpleasant, sure, but understandably so. With her vision of Alm dying, it's clear she's mainly worried about what might happen to him if he keeps fighting initially. She's being pretty reasonable up until the point Alm lays the blame for the Rigel semi-occupation on the previous king, which, while correct, is obviously going to be a sore point for her given that it's her father. So she snaps and storms off, but in the following scenes she's back to worrying about him and feeling bad for the whole situation, and the next time she gets to talk to him she's quick to apologize for it. I actually like how they handled it, it was a lot more abrupt in the original (good old NES minimal dialogue), this time they actually gave her a good excuse to be angry. It doesn't make her right, but it makes it understandable why she reacted the way she did, and again, it's not as if she doesn't acknowledge herself that she overreacted.

While the original did not go into as much depth Celica did still accuse Alm of wanting to be king in Gaiden. In Echoes it came across as she did not want Alm in a position where he might get killed but instead of saying that she accuses him and basically responds in anger. Especially when Alm says some things that unknowingly hit home for Celica. Granted I'm not defending Celica here I feel she is very much in the wrong of that spat but if the developers wanted the story to remain overall the same they had to have them "argue" and I think a little tension between the two lead characters is a good thing.

The ending of act 4 for Celica at least was less "wut" than it was in Gaiden.

In Gaiden, everyone just waits for Jedah to finish and then they follow him only to fall below ready to be sacrificed.

In Echoes, Jedah flat out makes the rest of Celica's army begone. Celica had no one else to rein her in when left only with Jedah.

Her pacifism comes out of the blue and turns the "argument" into Celica throwing a little fit.
I have a write-up already on why I think Alm and Celica are bad characters, and I'm just waiting until I finish the game to polish it up and post it.