Is it just me, or archers aren't very good this game?

I know. Ironic considering they have a range of 1-5, but:

-Their hit rates feel low unless you use curved shot, which stops them from double attacking

-Their damage feels low unless they're shooting a flier

-Their speed is low unless they're shooting a slightly slower enemy archer/arcanist

Yeah, they were good for the few times I needed a straggler picked off (eg: Deen trying to retreat to the supplies after eating thunder spells), but Tobin, python, and Leon all ended up as very mediocre combat units.

I guess it doesn't help that Tobin, and Leon have poor growths in everything but skill, while Python's bases in skill and speed suck, on top of his skill growth being horrible. Nonsensical terrain avoid bonus like the free 20% from tiles just make it worse.

Basically, I want to bench archers, and turn Tobin into a merc next playthrough, since you quite literally cant go wrong with that class line. If I wanted ranged, I would rather have another Sonya instead of an archer.

Anyone else feel the same, or notice this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon's my MVP right now tbh.  

It's really useful to be able to pick off those damn 1-3 range Arcanists without fear of being countered, and forging an Iron Bow was very useful for improving the hitrates.

Range means nothing if you can't hit anything; imagine if Takumi's personal weapon had 1-5 range. I've found Leon useful so far, I like the skill the Iron Bow learns that improves hit rates. Archers highlight the problem with emphasis on terrain bonuses in this game, to much emphasis on luck for my liking. So Archers are good when they can actually hit something. I made Tobin a Merc, I like having a unit with a 100% hit in this game.

I find range to be amongst my best and most useful units, and archers are definitely up there. Sure, they may not hit some of the time, but I find that they're great for taking out enemies where they can't counter attack, and also weakening them for lower levelled allies. In one of the skirmishes in act 3, in a forest area, with a bunch of cavalry enemies, one paladin and an arcanist I think, my sniper Tobin was essential. In grassy terrain he avoided amazingly, and hit relatively well. Also, you can only have so many units up front, and if your trying to bottleneck the enemy, having someone in the backlines who can actually do something is really useful.

I'm a bit mixed on this topic. I definitely have a use for archers and have not seen anything really bad about them yet. Python is garbage though for me. I think my growth luck played a big part. Tobin got speed and attack out the wazoo and Leon as well to a lesser extent. I need to finish the game to be sure. 

Tobin and Python are trash for me, but Leon has been pretty good. I just use them as support to weaken enemies in this game since they can't really 1v1 anything, but their range is great so they are definitely useful in that role. 

Tobin's actually been leveling up decently for me more than most! 

Sometimes he may 'just' pick off stragglers, but even that can be really useful when there's a lot of enemies.

And I find the range incredibly useful on some of the maps.

I've found them to be really valuable. It helps my Tobin's gotten a lot of pretty good level ups too, contrary to how I hear he usually turns out. Tobin and Leon are both very helpful on their respective paths. Python's pretty shitty, though. Only his strength has had decent growth. All his other stats pale a lot in comparison to Tobin.

Leon cleared out the desert fortress almost on his own by popping all the archers and arcanists hiding behind the walls. Tobin and even Python are currently one shotting witches for me on Alm's path as well, which is pretty great too.

20 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I've found them to be really valuable. It helps my Tobin's gotten a lot of pretty good level ups too, contrary to how I hear he usually turns out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My Tobin has perhaps killed more enemies than everyone save Alm at this point...

2 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Archers should not be locked to 2 range (most of the time) in the series going forward.

I agree, it makes archers feel more like archers. And it makes you cautious before entering a castle. Between the combinations f Archers, Cantors, and long rage arcanist spells it makes sieging a castle actually feel like a siege. You have to take it slow, watch out for defenders, etc.

Before it was just run in and kill shit. I kind of hope Archers retain long range attacks just for that reason alone.

Man I love my archers. Low speed can be an issue, but it just encourages me to use my Arts more than I would have with a 1 range unit that has to face counterattacks. Hitting Witches and Arcanists without fear of counterattack is great too. Mages just can't put out similar damage on them, even with excalibur. They've got definite niche, they're just pretty incompetent when going up against enemy mercs and cavs. Kind of like Mages in any other Fire Emblem, you got to watch how many physical attackers might focus them down.

Archers scale up very hard with their promotions. Archers themselves are pretty weak, mostly just good for chip. Once they make it up to Bow Knights though they become monsters. Either outright killing machines with the Killer Bow or even Blessed Bow, or utility beasts with the Silver Bow's arts.

I feel like the odd one out as Python is my best archer in the game and my go to archer..  He crits way more often than I thought he would, even at low crit percentages.  Tobin and Leon have disappointed me though.

Though I will say that almost any archer becomes a monster if given Parthia with that Trance Shot.

I'm playing on Normal mode, not hard, so not sure if this makes a difference, but all three have been pretty vital for me. 

Python was slow going at first, since he didn't double hit for a while and his hit rate was low, but upon becoming a sniper, he's drastically improved. 

Leon and Tobin not only rarely miss (and usually then it's because the enemy is standing on something), but they also seem to be in some sort of private battle as to who can crit the most. Leon was my second third tier unit in the game after Saber because he's just so crucial to me ^.^

7 hours ago, maninbluejumpsuit said:

Basically, I want to bench archers, and turn Tobin into a merc next playthrough, since you quite literally cant go wrong with that class line. If I wanted ranged, I would rather have another Sonya instead of an archer.

You could try Mage Tobin too considering he learns excalibur at level 6.

The exact opposite for me, actually-- they've all been pretty good for me. Their range allows them to whittle down and pick off enemies, and arts patch up their accuracy (they probably weren't going to double anyways).