Mario+Rabbids game picture leaked...and it's a shooting game?!

Water Mage

15 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

http://media.comicbook.com/2017/05/oxp12ahx-998474.jpg

Looks like the rumors were true, and it's going to be a...shooting game? 

A Mario shooting game...I don't know what to think.

I think the answer is "what in the world am I witnessing," because that's the first thing I thought...

I... don't what to think about this. First off (Sorry if I sound rude) why Rabbids? To me, their games never looked any good, what was the appeal to them anyways back in the day? In the end, I really shouldn't judge it with so little information. 

34 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

A Mario shooting game...I don't know what to think.

Technically, there's already been an official Mario shooting game: Yoshi's Safari for the SNES:

800px-Snesyoshissafari.png

File:YoshiSafariArt.png

File:YoshisSafari004.png

As for what I think of Mario x Rabbids, I'll wait until actual gameplay details are revealed. But from the artwork alone, I will say that the two artstyles and universes mesh together visually much better than I expected them to.

Edited by Randoman

Okay, at first I was like "...what is this shit, Nintendo?"

Then I saw that Luigi has a blaster themed after his Poltergust. THAT is freakin' awesome and a seller for me.

Edited by Anacybele

As for my personal thoughts on this whole thing being real I'm just laughing laughing so hard this is hilarious not sure its in a good or a bad way yet but we'll see.

Edit: video now redundant lol.

Edited by Locke087

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

EDIT: Ninja'd.

LOL I even refreshed the thread before I posted just to make sure I didn't ninja you oh well that's life for you.

3 minutes ago, Locke087 said:

LOL I even refreshed the thread before I posted just to make sure I didn't ninja you oh well that's life for you.

Nah, it's cool.

But I found pictures:

2.jpg

4.jpg

More pics here:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/44682/new-details-about-mario--rabbids-kingom-battle-confirmed-for-switch

Edited by Water Mage

What is this? Did they also get inspired by MegaMan or something?

And am I seeing the words "badass" and "kick ass" on a Nintendo game? That's unusal for Nintendo......unless Nintendo has been using words like that for some time, but oh well.

@Water Mage Holy crap one those pictures is a marketing timeline what doesn't leak these days. This confirms that Ubisoft does not consider this a small project and they actually going to really push this thing. They want to convince the general consumer to buy this not just kids considering that the General adult consumer finds Rabbids annoying it's going to be an uphill battle. It seems that Ubisoft takes the chance to work with the Mario Brand very seriously. But one has to wonder if they really wanted mass-market appeal why did Ubisoft pick a Rabbids out all of their IP's, why not Rayman a far less divisive IP.

Edited by Locke087

42 minutes ago, Locke087 said:

But one has to wonder if they really wanted mass-market appeal why did Ubisoft pick a Rabbids out all of their IP's, why not Rayman a far less divisive IP.

The Rabbids are characters from the Rayman IP, though.

6 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The Rabbids are characters from the Rayman IP, though.

Anymore Syklanders belong to Sypro, not really. The first game is the only one (and maybe the second) to feature Rayman or any Rayman character. The core Rayman games released recently (origins and legends) also do not feature Rabbids. I think it is safe to assume that Ubisoft at least considered them separate IPs as they haven't seen any crossover in quite some time. Rayman was just probably shoved into the first game to give it name recognition.   

This is really unexpected believable to see these images. I kinda wondered about what story plot will the Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle be like?

And also, how many Rabbid games did Rayman appeared besides the first three games? I actually didn't played any Rayman and Rabbid games.

3 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

And am I seeing the words "badass" and "kick ass" on a Nintendo game? That's unusal for Nintendo......unless Nintendo has been using words like that for some time, but oh well.

Either they're aiming for a T rating or Ubisoft made the promo art and was sending it to Nintendo for approval/alteration.

If I recall, the fact that this would be a shooting game was leaked already. But the real question is how and why did Nintendo ever approve of this? They probably just handed the Mario license to Ubisoft and said "do whatever".

As for my feelings on this, it's... eh. Hopefully they won't devote too much time at E3 to this.

But guys... Luigi's Poltergust blaster. That's automatic kickass. Any reference or hint to Luigi's Mansion is awesome and it could also indicate that Professor E. Gadd has a role in this. :P

Trying to remain positive after seeing these images but...

"okay, you're the first non-japanese company in decades to handle the Mario IP, how do you want to make the game?" "Meh, just give 'em guns"

Talk about cultural appropriation. 

9 hours ago, GrimmLow said:

I... don't what to think about this. First off (Sorry if I sound rude) why Rabbids? To me, their games never looked any good, what was the appeal to them anyways back in the day? In the end, I really shouldn't judge it with so little information. 

As an avid Mario Fan myself, I agree. This doesn't look like it can work. Then again, This is something new to try out so We'll just have to wait and see...

During the development of Rayman 4 (which featured Rabbids as the enemies), Ubisoft decided the motion controls weren't good enough for their lofty 3D platformer. So instead they made it a minigame collection, and the Rabbids became their own thing thereafter.

I played Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, and it was pretty fun. For two hours. Then my $50 was gone...
To me, the inclusion of Rabbids is a convenient signposting to have no interest in this game.

EDIT: To anyone who is actually interested in a turn-based shooter, a good one already exists. It's called SteamWorld Heist.
EDITEDIT: It suddenly occurred to me - There is no reason for Mario to be in this Rabbids game, unless - Ubisoft just wants to use the Mario IP for free marketing. Oh yes, it's as diabolical as I thought.

Edited by Zera