To Grind or Not to Grind...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Grind? If so, how so?

• Fuck no, Grinding is for Pussies!
    • Dungeon Crawling
    • Gravestone Stomping
    • Pirate Smashing
    • Paladin Plowing
    • Other (DLC maps, anything else I missed)

A simple little poll.  Have you used grinding methods to progress through the game?  Is grinding a necessity for you?  Lord know it is for me and my dumb ass. lol

I've plowed through three paladin squads prepping for the Assault on Desaix's Fortress...  Man I still can't kill that fat bastard!

I dont grind A LOT, but ill stomp on guys to get my squad not sucky. I like the dungeon crawling the best, but ill pound the pirates and paladins too. No DLC for me. Im not sure if ill bother with the DLC or not. 

I've only had to grind once, right at the start of Chapter 4, and only on Alm's side. I just went into a Sylvan Shrine and grinded off the Gargoyles and Bonewalkers for a little while. The first map was destroying me, since the Paladins took forever to take down, and most of my units were very squishy and not strong enough to where even 3-4 units couldn't take down one enemy.

Other than that, I've seen no need to grind so far playing Hard/Classic. Mila's Turnwheel allows for mistakes to be made, and that was the only big stat bump I saw.

Granted, I've yet to beat Chapter 4, so I'll see how Chapter 5 is. I do know Chapter 6 might require a bit of grinding.

i haven't needed to grind, but i do enjoy trying to get those starshards (im at 10/12 scorpio and pisces just don't wanna drop for me)
that in turn has made my crew a tad overleveled.
I'll probably end up doing a just normal run through hard/classic without doing any sort of grinding.. a speed run of sorts. Nothing so far as seemingly been hard (i just started up act 5)

I did my Hard/Classic run with the intention of avoiding unnecessary encounters. I still fought enemies that stood in my way in dungeons, and I still had to fight some map spawns, but otherwise I didn't grind.

I only grinded accidentally since a lot of battles are unavoidable, as I ran the DLC trying to get enough decent Star Shards (not Cancer) for everyone.  Since level-ups are finite, I want to make sure I have as good of growths as possible.

I'm playing on Hard/Casual, and the difficulty hasn't been too bad, the only spot I ran into trouble was the Leather Shield merc right as the beginning, since my guys were all still low-level villagers.

I am at the start Chapter 4 and while I have been doing what sidequests I can, I tend not to grind as I am trying to avoid grinding for my Hard/Classic run.

The only exception is when I unlocked the Dragon Shrine for Celica and noticed the Entombed in there. Valbar and company (Kamui, Leon) were one level away from their T3 promotion, so I ran and just tried to fight the Entombed. Thing is, they don't really respawn, so I avoided the other fights after everyone was properly situated.

So, my mainstays for Celica's party are almost all T3 ("Celica," Mae, Genny, Valbar, Kamui, Leon, Palla) while Alm's group just has a couple T3s (Gray, Kliff, and Lukas // Tobin is ready to promote while Silque and Clair are 1 level away).

1 hour ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

I dont grind A LOT, but ill stomp on guys to get my squad not sucky. I like the dungeon crawling the best, but ill pound the pirates and paladins too. No DLC for me. Im not sure if ill bother with the DLC or not. 

The item dlc is pretty cool, but the rest I don't think are worth it. So much of the rest can be done just fine in the game. Item dlc is great for finding some new provisions and the occssional rare drops like Brave Swords. Also the star shards are great for grinding, since they increase various growth rates. Other than that they really aren't all that worth it to me either. I also got a red pirate hat too, which was hilarious. 

anyway. I haven't done a ton of grinding yet, but plan on doing so for the Chapter 6 dungeon. I will probably use dungeons to do so, it's the most enjoyable to me. At and the chance for rare spawns is cool. 

Edited by Tolvir

I don't go out of my way to grind. I'll fight enemies in dungeons, but I won't go into dungeons specifically to level my party. I'll fight the enemies that spawn on the map, obviously, but I won't just keep moving about and letting enemies continuously spawn. So, if I am grinding, it sure doesn't feel like it. I'm currently nearing what I assume to be the end of Act 3 on hard classic, and as it stands, I don't think grinding is really required. Or at least not to any unreasonable extent. Maybe that will change later on, I don't know.

Edited by Frenzify

8 hours ago, Zelgius said:

I wish there was a way to turn off the random enemy map spawns so you can avoid grinding. I was a little annoyed that the game makes you grind on them.

Same. I only fight enemies when I feel I'm forced to--sometimes I go back to a shrine to promote somebody and the next thing I know I get ambushed, or I end up fighting someone in the dungeons because I'm not very good at running past them/feel I can't run past them so I might as well do the initiation to get an advantage. Honestly my life would be a lot better if I didn't have to deal with all those extra enemies I don't need to fight.

The only exception is when someone's at like, lv 9.93 so i go and grab them the level so i can promote before the next map. Otherwise I try to avoid them when I can.

I've done some minimal grinding.

Just finished Act 3, and I wanted to make everyone their 2nd tier class before I moved on. So, I used the dungeons that were near by, Sylvan Shrine for Alm, and Dragon's Cave for Celica. I managed to get everyone promoted except Sonya, Luthier, Atlas, and Delthea. Atlas and Delthea are around lvl 3, and Luthier and Sonya are two lvls below they can promote. 

I've used dungeon grinding the most, but I have used the graveyards for early grinding.

I try to avoid grinding whenever possible, but this game is annoying in that they essentially force you to grind through dungeons and those random encounters on the world map.

I've done my best not to, but progressing is already such a grind on Hard and it's clearly not properly balanced around not grinding. It kinda broke the remaining strategic value I could see remaining in the game, and after hearing about the bonus dungeon, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and begin treating this game like FE13.

With Hard I simply approached each battle on overworld without going to the grinding halls. When in a dungeon as a result of story I simply fought each thing I came across during exploration the first time through. 

Even with that I quickly ran into a few segments where my units were grossly outmatched in terms of stats and had to bump up to avoid too much annoyance.

Edited by Vorena

I grind up units that are significantly behind other units of mine and also if they're about to level up I just go in and get that quick level. I didn't need to grind my main party all that much though. I played on Hard/Classic

I've done some grinding for characters that came in at low levels, e.g., Est and Delthea. I've also done some grinding for money on the DLC map, because I like forging weapons and giving characters personalized weapons. This isn't something I thought was necessary, or needed to be done to progress, it's just something I thought was fun to do.