How many Free Orbs should there be?

salinea

How many Free Orbs should there be?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. How many Free Orbs per week do you feel the game should give the players?

• 5 orbs or less a Week
    • 10 orbs a Week
    • 15 orbs a Week (about 2 daily orbs)
    • 20 orbs a Week (enough to make one full summon once a week)
    • 25 orbs or more a Week
  2. 2. Do you count orbs reward from Quests and Maps are part of the "Free Orbs"?

• Yes
    • Yes for Orbs from Quests but not from Maps
    • Yes for Orbs from Maps but not from Quests
    • Yes, but not all "Free Orbs" should be from maps/quests
    • No
  3. 3. If Daily Orbs aren't ever back, would you still enjoy the game?

• Yes, as long as there are other sources of Free Orbs (maps, quests, arena rewards, etc.)
    • Yes, because I don't mind putting money in the game
    • Yes, for reasons I'll explain in the comments
    • Maybe/Unsure
    • No, for reasons I'll explain in the comments
  4. 4. What do you mind about the delivery of Orbs in the game?

• Too conditionnal from successfully doing things (arena rewards, quests, etc.)
    • There's just too few of them
    • Lack of reliability. Some times you have two daily orbs, some times it's gone, some times it was the daily quests....
    • How expensive packs are when you put money in the game
    • Lack of reliability of the gacha makes any orb not that valuable
    • Timing of banners release makes planning and saving orbs difficult
    • I don't mind anything about the way the game provide orbs
    • Something else I'll add in the comments

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know.

On the one hand, it's super random how and when we get orbs.

On the other hand, banners are released so slowly that as a F2P player, I stockpiled over 200 orbs in one month, spent them all, and have now gotten back to 170 orbs again.

And in terms of 5 stars, I've got 2 Hectors, 2 Reinhardts, Ike, Ryoma, Kagero, Alm, Julia, Pieri, Ogma, E!Lucina, E!Xander, E!Chrom, which is a pretty good number.

So... I guess I'm ok with it as is?

Edit: Plus, 4 stars are so easy to get a hold of that I can just use hero feathers to supplement anything I get there, such as Eirika, Nowi, or Klein.

Edited by dragonlordsd

In regard to free orbs - I think people like to get more not less.

So it would be a nice trend to see a steady increase in free orbs. Lets say we are at 100 free orbs per month right now - free daily orbs, quests, gauntlet rewards etc. and get like 10 more each month. As the game grows with time so should the amount of free orbs.

In return let them keep those 20 great badges rewards for the gauntlets - I have plenty of them already and dont need no more :) - still wondering why they give those as rewards

Just now, Jedrus Lilac said:

In return let them keep those 20 great badges rewards for the gauntlets - I have plenty of them already and dont need no more :) - still wondering why they give those as rewards

My guess is new players. I remember having genuine difficulty getting great badges early on....

i think 2 daily with quests and maps giving more at times was good for a lot of reasons

obviously there's the fact that it gives them at a steady, reliable rate, but it also gives me more reason to play the game. i currently have over 40000 feathers and 7 orbs.  the reason I have so many feathers is because a good amount of them were saved during the path of radiance banner since I really like soren and i wanted to still make him a 5 star if he ended up moved down to 3 or 4 star and i didn't get him when he was a focus unit. and I kept playing because I knew i'd be able to keep trying to get soren every few days

now that that focus is over and he's a 4 star, i've still been trying to get him. but I had much more desire to keep playing when I had daily orbs because I knew i'd be able to get another shot soon. the reason I have so few orbs at this point is because I'm not sure when we'll get more. if we still had daily orbs, i probably wouldn't have even tried summoning with 12 orbs. but since i might have to wait until sunday to get another orb, i tried anyway. now i have 7 orbs and i'm tempted to try again, but if i knew i'd be getting two tomorrow, i wouldn't bother wasting them now

it's just a lot more fun and gives me a lot more reason to play if I know i'm gonna be able to get more orbs than if I just assume I'll get 4 per week. otherwise there's not much to look forward to, especially if you're the type that only does full summons

8 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

honestly whenever we have polls like this I wish a Nintendo staff is stalking us so they know what to do. 

I'm sure there are Nintendo spies on here so its probably already taken care of! XD

As for my opinion, I don't really care what they do with our orbs because I have an easy time not spending money on this game anyway (On top of that, I can deal with what I have for the rest of the game's life). They'll never completely get rid of our orbs, but as soon as they go away for a few days EVERYONE loses their minds and starts complaining about how they always come and go. They are just trying to get you to spend money, and if you're not naive enough to get suckered you'll last long enough to know that we got them back again. Seriously, its not the end of the world -_- 

People are also forgetting that we get orbs every week now in the arena. It sucks for anyone in the lower tiers who only get 1 or 2, but 3 a week is legitimate enough for me, especially with quests and maps. 

I think enough for a full Pull a week should be bare minimum, with extras occasionally from promotions, maps, and missions.

I know they want people to spend money, but if that is the only way to reliably get Orbs, people will get frustrated and leave.  I'll pop money down, but I want to be able to build up a supply of F2P Orbs, as well.

Pretty much what Rezzy said.

2 daily orbs, to me, seemed fair enough. I don't know how many that is a month in terms of pulls, but adding to the promotions with that. I don't mind putting money in a game I enjoy, but it feels harder if they're not as reliable with orbs.

8 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

weird poll, who doesn't like free stuff? who would rather have less free stuff than more?

People who don't want the game to end 'cos people get too many orbs and don't put any money into it at all? It's a fine balance required -.-

14 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I think enough for a full Pull a week should be bare minimum, with extras occasionally from promotions, maps, and missions.

That seems like too much if you ask me (A free to player saying its too much..... yeah I know its weird)

How are they supposed to sucker me if there's no temptation to be suckered? Not that I'll ever be suckered anyway

Their should be daily quests, I don't know why there isn't. 1 orb from completing the daily quest (that actually requires you to do something, similar to the arena quests) should be mandatory.

Dailies need to come back.  Special events like the one going on now are not fair at all to new players.   I mean, both the easy and hard variants are level 40 on all 10, what if you just downloaded the game?  

1 hour ago, DraceEmpressa said:

Whales that doesn't have problem with buying more

@Ice Dragon

Our local whale isn't stingy, but also isn't a guy that has that attitude you imagine whales to have.

Full pulls a week isn't really a way to get people to buy orbs.

Edited by shadowofchaos

13 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

@Ice Dragon

Our local whale isn't stingy, but also isn't a guy that has that attitude you imagine whales to have.

Full pulls a week isn't really a way to get people to buy orbs.

Less than a pull isnt either.

If there was just half a pull, people like me, will just save up and summon much less or lose interest at all if saving up orbs become to much of a hassle

5 minutes ago, Jedrus Lilac said:

Less than a pull isnt either.

If there was just half a pull, people like me, will just save up and summon much less or lose interest at all if saving up orbs become to much of a hassle

The argument you're presenting here is that you, personally, is representative of the state of the majority of players going to lose interest in playing the game if there aren't daily orb rewards.

Yet in gacha trends, the drought of one orb a week is enough to sustain most games.

This game is *RIDICULOUSLY* generous in that you get a free full pull every two weeks from quests for the new banner, and stuff in between like bonus voting gauntlet or event orbs.

If you are representative of people who are losing interest because of not enough pulls, I'm representative of those people who have played gacha games and are content with the amount of free pulls we get.

At this point in time I already almost have enough orbs to max out my storage from free orbs. And the last time I bought stuff was for Julia.

Edited by shadowofchaos

9 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

The argument you're presenting here is that you, personally, is representative of the state of the majority of players going to lose interest in playing the game if there aren't daily orb rewards.

That's why I made this poll. So we'd get at least a little bit of data on what the people who hang out at serenes forest consider "enough" or "too little". Please let people speak about their feelings in this thread because that's the whole point to gather that intel.

The thing with the gacha model as I understand it is that it needs both a public that is willing to spend money on it, and a public who is content to continue playing F2P. If either fall through, then it can't sustain itself. Am I mistaken?

13 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Yet in gacha trends, the drought of one orb a week is enough to sustain most games.

This game is *RIDICULOUSLY* generous in that you get a free full pull every two weeks from quests for the new banner, and stuff in between like bonus voting gauntlet or event orbs.

If you are representative of people who are losing interest because of not enough pulls, I'm representative of those people who have played gacha games and are content with the amount of free pulls we get.

At this point in time I already almost have enough orbs to max out my storage from free orbs. And the last time I bought stuff was for Julia.

Didnt say I would represent anyone. Certainly not a majority as I am too much of individual person.

I just care about things and voice my opinion. I am not part of a corporate identity who smiles at everything a corporation does.

Btw I dont care about any other gacha games . I care about fe heroes and judge it solely on its own merits. If the competition gives one orb I will still not be happy about nintendo giving two.

And speaking of the competition I wouldnt mind if all of them changed their gacha style business for the better.

I don't really see any reason to be against a full roll per week unless you happen to have some emotional attachment to Nintendo or IntSys and think it's necessary for their survival.

In all seriousness though, the main problem for me has been content and not orbs.  The current orb situation sucks, but the reason it's so bad is because of how barebones this game is.  The only thing to look forward to is rolling more units so you FINALLY have something to do, something to train. And you need orbs for that. These maps that take 10 minutes at best aren't content.  I don't mind the Flier/Armour/Cavalry 10th stratum quests unlike most people because they make you work for those orbs. Doing the flier quests with Lv 27 Caeda and Lv 40 Narcian/Michalis/Subaki at 4* was really fun, and could be difficult.  That's what this game needs more of, honestly.  Just give me things to do and work towards.  Even if the price is one measly orb.

And I know someone's going to use the "well it's a mobile game" excuse, but there are games with long events and lots of content like GBF and FGO out there, and they are quite prominent in the scene so there's really no excusing it.  The biggest events FEH has had so far are the gauntlets, and just look at them.  One 3v3 battle that takes a few minutes every 30 minutes.  It doesn't even have to be in a popularity contest format either, they just do that for false hype.  The rewards are nice, but it's still not much repeating those same maps every time, and you can't even enjoy the "contest" when you already know who the winner is.

For now I'm just going to chalk it up to FEH still being fairly new, but they really do need to reconsider their plans for content.  Or just give me Camus already, whichever works for you, IntSys.  

I will say that I am very interested in the Vortex stuff however!

Sorry for straying off topic, but I feel it's relevant to the thread question.  I think the old quests that gave 1 orb a day were fine, giving out orbs for free just sidesteps the main problem of the game.

2 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

I don't really see any reason to be against a full roll per week unless you happen to have some emotional attachment to Nintendo or IntSys and think it's necessary for their survival.

In all seriousness though, the main problem for me has been content and not orbs.  The current orb situation sucks, but the reason it's so bad is because of how barebones this game is.  The only thing to look forward to is rolling more units so you FINALLY have something to do, something to train. And you need orbs for that. These maps that take 10 minutes at best aren't content.  I don't mind the Flier/Armour/Cavalry 10th stratum quests unlike most people because they make you work for those orbs. Doing the flier quests with Lv 27 Caeda and Lv 40 Narcian/Michalis/Subaki at 4* was really fun, and could be difficult.  That's what this game needs more of, honestly.  Just give me things to do and work towards.  Even if the price is one measly orb.

And I know someone's going to use the "well it's a mobile game" excuse, but there are games with long events and lots of content like GBF and FGO out there, and they are quite prominent in the scene so there's really no excusing it.  The biggest events FEH has had so far are the gauntlets, and just look at them.  One 3v3 battle that takes a few minutes every 30 minutes.  It doesn't even have to be in a popularity contest format either, they just do that for false hype.  The rewards are nice, but it's still not much repeating those same maps every time, and you can't even enjoy the "contest" when you already know who the winner is.

For now I'm just going to chalk it up to FEH still being fairly new, but they really do need to reconsider their plans for content.  Or just give me Camus already, whichever works for you, IntSys.  

I will say that I am very interested in the Vortex stuff however!

Sorry for straying off topic, but I feel it's relevant to the thread question.  I think the old quests that gave 1 orb a day were fine, giving out orbs for free just sidesteps the main problem of the game.

This exactly. Once you've cleared everything, there isn't much to do. And it doesn't take too long to clear everything (for the record, this is coming from someone that hasn't spent a dime and skipped out on a lot of the quests because I didn't have a party strong enough to take them on).

It's also worth noting that giving more free orbs might sound like a good idea in theory, but giving too much will make it so people that haven't spent money will have no need to buy things. And once people have no need to buy things in-game, the product loses its ability to make money for the company. So it's a tough call…

I think if there was one thing I could fix about this game I'd make the orb prices a little lower. Right now they aren't that good, so someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money (or any, in my case) isn't enticed to buy anything. It also helps the company make money because if people see that a product is at a more affordable price, there is a chance they will buy more of it. Or, more people will buy. Either situation helps the company. It also helps them attract more players (e.g. those that started late).

1 hour ago, wheelsonfire said:

I think if there was one thing I could fix about this game I'd make the orb prices a little lower. Right now they aren't that good, so someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money (or any, in my case) isn't enticed to buy anything. It also helps the company make money because if people see that a product is at a more affordable price, there is a chance they will buy more of it. Or, more people will buy. Either situation helps the company. It also helps them attract more players (e.g. those that started late).

One thing I found interesting about the premium currency model in Warframe was that one of the possible random daily login rewards was a percentage discount off of your next purchase of premium currency (discount expires in 48 hours after receiving it) with the highest possible discount being a massive 75% off, which is good for encouraging players who wouldn't otherwise spend money on the game to put in perhaps $25 to get $100 worth of premium currency. If the forums are a good metric, a fair number of players do, in fact, only buy premium currency when they have the 75% discount.

Now, random daily login rewards isn't exactly a fair system, but perhaps it could be done as a "loyalty" bonus of sorts where every nth (say, 50th) day (may or may not require consecutive), the player receives a discount on their next purchase (no expiration).

The reasoning behind it being a percentage discount as opposed to just free orbs or something else is simple: a percentage discount encourages the player to pay for a larger bundle of orbs in order to get the most for their money.

A 50% discount on a player's first orb purchase could probably also encourage more otherwise-free-to-players to spend even just a little on the game.

56 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

One thing I found interesting about the premium currency model in Warframe was that one of the possible random daily login rewards was a percentage discount off of your next purchase of premium currency (discount expires in 48 hours after receiving it) with the highest possible discount being a massive 75% off, which is good for encouraging players who wouldn't otherwise spend money on the game to put in perhaps $25 to get $100 worth of premium currency. If the forums are a good metric, a fair number of players do, in fact, only buy premium currency when they have the 75% discount.

Now, random daily login rewards isn't exactly a fair system, but perhaps it could be done as a "loyalty" bonus of sorts where every nth (say, 50th) day (may or may not require consecutive), the player receives a discount on their next purchase (no expiration).

The reasoning behind it being a percentage discount as opposed to just free orbs or something else is simple: a percentage discount encourages the player to pay for a larger bundle of orbs in order to get the most for their money.

A 50% discount on a player's first orb purchase could probably also encourage more otherwise-free-to-players to spend even just a little on the game.

THIS is an interesting idea!  Perhaps a 10% discount after ten consecutive days of logging in, cumulative, capping at 50%, with the option to turn the accumulated percentage into feathers.  The bonus goes away upon purchase.  That way, it'll be a once-every-two-months thing for those that are hesitant about buying.  Those who will never buy, no matter what, won't be left out, either.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

THIS is an interesting idea!  Perhaps a 10% discount after ten consecutive days of logging in, cumulative, capping at 50%, with the option to turn the accumulated percentage into feathers.  The bonus goes away upon purchase.  That way, it'll be a once-every-two-months thing for those that are hesitant about buying.  Those who will never buy, no matter what, won't be left out, either.

That's... genius. I'm game. 

(I also wouldn't mind if the orbs were a tad cheaper as well)

---

For free orbs, I think that we should have the daily quests instead of a daily x2 free orbs. Because of it, people seem to have become seemingly "entitled" (for lack of a better word) to that bonus (hence the flock of angry gamers the day it disappears). I'm not saying we shouldn't have free orbs, we definitely should, but we should also need to work (a little) for it.