So...Ships, anyone?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This how shipping is supposed to be. Regardless canon or not. Regardless gay/lesbian or not. Regardless they already married or not. Regardless there are vague hints or not. Just ship them because we like it. Not like Waifu/Husbando emblem.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

How isn't it his fault though?

I'd argue it was more of Duma's fault. I mean, Berkut could've just stormed off angrily and Rinea (and Fernand) would've lived. Wait...why was he at Duma Temple? Even Rinea mentions how Berkut hates the Duma Faithful.

And once Duma's influence is broken, we see Berkut realizing what he has done.

Just now, Armagon said:

I'd argue it was more of Duma's fault. I mean, Berkut could've just stormed off angrily and Rinea (and Fernand) would've lived. Wait...why was he at Duma Temple? Even Rinea mentions how Berkut hates the Duma Faithful.

And once Duma's influence is broken, we see Berkut realizing what he has done.

Duma influenced his mind, but didn't make him do anything. His own weakness of mind was his downfall, to be honest. By the time he realizes what he did, it's too late. It's his fault, imo.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Duma influenced his mind, but didn't make him do anything. His own weakness of mind was his downfall, to be honest. By the time he realizes what he did, it's too late. It's his fault, imo.

Fair enough.

Then i guess Rinea was simply a very forgiving person. I wish we knew her a lot more though. I felt nothing when she died. I felt more when Sigurd died and that's saying something because Sigurd's my least favorite Lord.

Tatiana/Zeke and Clive/Mathilda are gross but also endearing so i like those two. i like tatiana/zeke a little bit more, but clive calling mathilda a pretty war maiden or something like that is really cute

I also kinda dig Faye/Tobin for some reason

and Forsyth/Python platonic or romantic. either one i don't care

6 hours ago, lordcorrin said:

Yeah, that's really why I dislike Alm/Celica. Its based off of pure childhood infatuation. That's.. not going to turn out well, realistically. Unless they can somehow chill tf out and immediately realize they are no longer their childhood selves, that ship is going to sink. Except its not cos its canon. But whatever. Celica/literally anybody else and Alm/literally anybody else 4 lyfe

Basically this is exactly why I dislike Alm x Celica. It was rather cliche and I mean, Gray literally says in the prologue that Celica "JUST moved to Ram Village" so I don't see how they grew so attached to each other in that short of a time, because Celica leaves immediately after the prologue, that they're still heavy in their minds years later. But to the people that actually like it, I have only respect because honestly the game was probably much more enjoyable if you liked the main pairing.

7 minutes ago, Dolce said:

Basically this is exactly why I dislike Alm x Celica. It was rather cliche and I mean, Gray literally says in the prologue that Celica "JUST moved to Ram Village" so I don't see how they grew so attached to each other in that short of a time, because Celica leaves immediately after the prologue, that they're still heavy in their minds years later. But to the people that actually like it, I have only respect because honestly the game was probably much more enjoyable if you liked the main pairing.

"Just moved" actually meant 3 years....I actually took some time to check this because I was confused about the timeline of events.

Spoiler

I had to calc this because in Conrad's convo with Celica in Part 4, he mentions how the villa fire incident happened (first memory prism) when Celica was 7. When the prologue rolls around, she is 10 years old(and then there is the 7 year timeskip for the main campaign when both protags are 17). It means while the kids said "JUST moved" it literally was several years since Celica and Alm lived together. There may have been a few weeks/months of error there since idk if Mycen took Celica straight away to Ram Village but since he is Alm's caretaker as well, I assume he brought those two up for some time.

Sure there is still the fates/destiny element to it but they are never idealized in any way (i.e. they fight, make up, and despite all the separation and hardships, treat each other decently). So I wouldn't chalk it up to JUST a childhood crush

Edited by kynimdraws

2 minutes ago, kynimdraws said:

"Just moved" actually meant 3 years....I actually took some time to check this because I was confused about the timeline of events.

Hide contents

I had to calc this because in Conrad's convo with Celica in Part 4, he mentions how the villa fire incident happened (first memory prism) when Celica was 7. When the prologue rolls around, she is 10 years old(and then there is the 7 year timeskip for the main campaign when both protags are 17). It means while the kids said "JUST moved" it literally was several years since Celica and Alm lived together. There may have been a few weeks/months of error there since idk if Mycen took Celica straight away to Ram Village but since he is Alm's caretaker as well, I assume he brought those two up for some time.

Sure there is still the fates/destiny element to it but they are never idealized in any way (i.e. they fight, make up, and despite all the separation and hardships, treat each other decently). So I wouldn't chalk it up to JUST a childhood crush

... Wow, I knew I should have checked my source of information considering this is kid Gray we're talking about lol. Well thanks for clarifying!

I mean, Celica was devastated after her "entire family died". Alm managed to bring her out of her depression which I think is enough to eventually remember that person for years. Alm may have just "liked her as a kid" but found connection with her, and their marks only made him believe it was destined for them to be. It should also be noted that within the years between prologue and Act 1, Alm and Celica don't get to see many other people. Alm is stuck in Ram while Celica is stuck at Novis Priory. They probably don't get to see many people.

But hey, if you don't like them together, then go ahead. I think the two could've gone a bit better, but I like the idea of two protagonists that end up together. I watch too much anime.

I've personally always had a weakness for childhood romances. I'm not sure why. Maybe just the idea of a boy and girl that know each other better than anyone else falling has just somehow appealed to me.

I couldn't care less about how many say it's "unrealistic".

So yeah, I got zero problems with Alm and Celica. I dare say it's probably my favorite romantic pairing in the franchise right now.

Clive/Mathilda is my fav

they are fucking molasses

and also goals

As for Celica and Saber, I like to read their relationship as platonic--or even Saber being a (third) dad figure, almost.

Celica who let you have 3 dads

My favorite ship is Boey/Mae.

Boey/Mae is pretty funny with them bickering at each other like an old married couple, which they become at the end of the game. Also I'd like to imagine how annoyed their children would be with their parents being at each other's throats all the time This explains why they had so many kids.

About Alm/Celica, it is a bit weird to me. When they were kids I shipped them 1000%, they were so cute together and I like how Alm was implying he wanted to marry her when they grew up before the whole Slayde thing happened. But when they grew it felt a bit forced, their first encounter ends in Celica lashing out at Alm for doing the obvious (also I'm not that fond of how she wanted Mila to solve all and every issue they had even if it made sense thematically), then they meet by Halcyon's magic which gave a Disney move vibe which is nice but I feel this is where things start to feel really forced for them, it is okay that they miss each other and all but maybe they should've focused a bit more on Celica's end (Alm's not really necessary, he basically kept his promise from childhood so eh.) because her missing him felt really out of place to me. It didn't help that there was the whole Masked knight thing even if it was obvious who he was.

Shout out to Clive/Mathilda, Tatiana/Zeke and the totally platonic Phyton/Forsyth.

For a non canon ship, I guess something like Tobin/Sonya would be fun (Imagine Tobin trying to woo her only to get his ass kicked, and then going to Gray's to drown his sorrows with his good ol' pal and then seeing that he has a dashing wife and kids while he's...Tobin).

The only one I like are Mathilda/Clive (Which actually felt very unique in its own way) and Zeke/Tatiana.

Alm/Celica felt like the kind of relationship that would crash  as soon they actually talked for a second and realized they are not the same people they were years ago when they meet... for one month. Gray/Clair felt like he just wore the poor girl down.

13 hours ago, Lord Raymond said:

Its just that for most straight ships, they are at least some sort of romance or teasing going on. But in most gay ships, the guys are just very close friends, and platonic. I just can't get over stuff like Ike x Soren, Gerik x Joshua, and Raven x Lucius. I just don't see it at all.

Really, Raven x Lucius? Raven "Go home, I don't need a wife, I have you"? If Soren or Lucius were girls I'm sure a lot of people would suddenly "see it".

1 hour ago, blueshell said:

The only one I like are Mathilda/Clive (Which actually felt very unique in its own way) and Zeke/Tatiana.

Alm/Celica felt like the kind of relationship that would crash  as soon they actually talked for a second and realized they are not the same people they were years ago when they meet... for one month.

Actually someone did the math up a few posts earlier; Celica was 7 when she went to Ram and 10 when Slayde drove her out. So she and Alm were together for 3 years, not "one month".

On 5/25/2017 at 0:40 AM, Korath88 said:

Oh god not this shit again

I don't see any pairings except the Canon pairings working with the story. The thing I like most about fixed pairings is that they have actual chemistry, and are actually well written unlike the other 3ds games where you can force two characters who have no chemistry into a marriage.

Celica/Saber and Alm/Clair is sin and should be kept off this forum. Stop trying to turn this game into a shipping sim 

Disagree with your overreaction "is sin and should be kept off this forum" but otherwise agree. Canon pairings are, in most cases, far more effective storytelling than "you can ship people together however you want, it doesn't have to make sense!"

I also really liked that Echoes has multiple couples already together at the start of the game - Clive and Mathilda, Zeke and Tatiana - it just added something to the story and relationships. And it felt real - why would everyone wait until after the game to get together? That's silly. It reminded me of Pent and Louise in FE 7, and I love those two. 

That said, people arguing that "well I wish these two had gotten together instead/it feels more natural" is not ungrounded discussion. Clair and Grey feels a little weird and forced, honestly, and I never cared for their support conversations, though I do find it kind of cute that they end up together in the end. I like Alm and Celica together, and I disagree with TC that it's just "I'm holding on to childhood feelings so I'm REQUIRED to feel the same way." It's not requirement. It's genuine. They care for each other. It's not just fate. It doesn't always come across great in the story, but they're not stupidly living to some obligation. They love each other. It may not feel natural to everyone who plays, that's fine. I didn't get that vibe at all, though, and found it very sweet and genuine. 

Just now, TadpoleSuperHero said:

Disagree with your overreaction "is sin and should be kept off this forum" but otherwise agree. Canon pairings are, in most cases, far more effective storytelling than "you can ship people together however you want, it doesn't have to make sense!"

I also really liked that Echoes has multiple couples already together at the start of the game - Clive and Mathilda, Zeke and Tatiana - it just added something to the story and relationships. And it felt real - why would everyone wait until after the game to get together? That's silly. It reminded me of Pent and Louise in FE 7, and I love those two. 

That said, people arguing that "well I wish these two had gotten together instead/it feels more natural" is not ungrounded discussion. Clair and Grey feels a little weird and forced, honestly, and I never cared for their support conversations, though I do find it kind of cute that they end up together in the end. I like Alm and Celica together, and I disagree with TC that it's just "I'm holding on to childhood feelings so I'm REQUIRED to feel the same way." It's not requirement. It's genuine. They care for each other. It's not just fate. It doesn't always come across great in the story, but they're not stupidly living to some obligation. They love each other. It may not feel natural to everyone who plays, that's fine. I didn't get that vibe at all, though, and found it very sweet and genuine. 

TBH, I didn't have a problem with Alm/Clair at first but a certain fanfic changed my mind on it. If you have to twist and change characters' entire personalities to make a ship work, it's not a good ship. Celica/Saber will always be sin because of the age gap though.

And honestly, I'm just tired of the awful shipping discourse on other sites and didn't want it to come here. Didn't mean to overreact that much.

4 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

TBH, I didn't have a problem with Alm/Clair at first but a certain fanfic changed my mind on it. If you have to twist and change characters' entire personalities to make a ship work, it's not a good ship. Celica/Saber will always be sin because of the age gap though.

And honestly, I'm just tired of the awful shipping discourse on other sites and didn't want it to come here. Didn't mean to overreact that much.

This is why I don't read fanfics, I just don't care for that kind of stuff, and if it can get me upset about the actual characters, it's not worth it.

I can get being tired of the shipping obsession. I see that sentiment a lot. I guess I just don't care about it because I just see it as another form of story and character discussion - some people have great points, most of them have stupid ideas. Some people care more about the story and the characters individually, some people just love romance. I don't care too much for shipping, so I mostly just don't engage in those discussions or even read them, as they can turn into "waifu wars" in an eyeblink and then it just gets stupid.

*I also don't spend much time on forums, even for my favorite games like FE, so that might have something to do with my tolerance for silliness in the fandom - I'm not as exposed to it and am just a naive innocent child who hasn't seen the darkness of the fandom*

On 5/24/2017 at 9:40 PM, Korath88 said:

Oh god not this shit again

I don't see any pairings except the Canon pairings working with the story. The thing I like most about fixed pairings is that they have actual chemistry, and are actually well written unlike the other 3ds games where you can force two characters who have no chemistry into a marriage.

Celica/Saber and Alm/Clair is sin and should be kept off this forum. Stop trying to turn this game into a shipping sim 

It's a shame people are trying to force ships that wouldn't work at all smh.

15 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Estranged blood relatives that meet for the first time as adults often fall victim to genetic sexual attraction (yay Fire Emblem).

I'm going to hell for this

What are you talking about? This is a normal Tuesday in Fire Emblem.

On 5/25/2017 at 7:37 AM, bufkus said:

Alm and Celica is a completely terrible pairing IMO.

They liked each other as kids sure but then they don't meet for years and still maintained that crush? And then they barely see each other for half the game. I totally don't buy that relationship at all. Meanwhile Alm's spent a lot of time with Clair and Saber probably would have seduced Celica. Those are far more realistic couplings that would have naturally developed.

I love the characters in this game but I feel they really did a pisspoor job with the story.

what kind of nonsense is this?

did 8-4 arbitrarily change character names because they didn't like the way the original names sounded? No. Treehouse is garbage and always will be. 8-4 is the best localization firm on the goddamn planet. learn what a localization actually is before you go spouting this filth.

Yeah... no. Saber is not Celica's type and Alm doesn't like Clair like that. Much better for Clair that she grows and Gray gets her heart. Simply superior. Celica doesn't have a daddy kink. Genny does. Celica doesn't give two shits about Saber, Atlas and others like that. It's obvious big muscly men are not her type.

Alm and Clair have to have their entire personality and characters messed with just to have a functioning relationship (Case in point that Clair/Alm fic) To hell with these awful fanon ships! ...Except Forsyth and Python <3

Edited by PolygonsandVideoGames