Alm's Group or Celica's Group?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Alm's Group or Celica's Group?

• Alm
    • Celica

I generally would do one chapter on either side, alternating, with a few exceptions. On reflection, I think I much preferred Alm's maps and playstyle to Celica's. Celica's party for me was just Mages and Dread Fighters for the most part. Valbar didn't have the Mov for the later maps, Leon was just one unit in an army, and I didn't really use the Pegasus Sisters. Whereas Alm's route had varied units and better map design imo. The deserts in Act 3, and the swamps in Act 4 weren't fun to me. The deserts slowed everything down, and the swamps seemed to also slow everything down as well as making it painful with the constant damage being done.

I also didn't care for Celica's story, since I found it mostly pointless compared to Alm's. She essentially went on a pilgrimage while Alm fought a war. Alm's path also had better character interaction. Gray and Tobin, Clive, Fernand, Berkut, they were all major players in the story. Celica had... Saber and... Celica. I mean I guess Boey and Mae too, but they didn't have the same appeal to me that Gray and Tobin did.

Currently, I'm having more fun with Alm's group, despite the fact that my Alm sucks hard.

Although my Celica team is definitely more well-rounded when it comes to defenses (my Alm team is like 90% people with shit for resistance), there are too many duplicate classes. Saber, Kamui, and Jesse are all mercs while Celica, Mae, and Boey are all mages (though Celica can use swords which, surprise, the mercs are already fighting over). And then you get the choice between Deen or Sonya who are... whaddya know, a merc and a mage, respectively. Oh, and you also get the Whitewings. Three Pegasus Knights. Sigh...

Celica's route has desert levels, and Terrors like to respawn right at crossroads, forcing you to deal with them repeatedly. Her route has begun feeling like a slog. I will say, though, that I love Kamui and Saber, Leon has been great, and Genny has been exponentially more useful than Silque for me (I didn't look up that Faye is best as a healer. Guide dang it).

Alm's route contains more of a variety of character classes as long as you don't make your villagers all the same thing (which would be silly), but it's mostly the characters that I like best. Python, Forsyth, Lukas, and Gray have been some of my absolute favorites so far. However, I'd say one of the biggest things is that Alm's team feels more cohesive to me, probably because it's an actual established group with a big purpose. Most everyone with the exception of a few characters is part of the Deliverance, they're all part of the same group with the same goals. Celica's group, while I love it, feels more... segregated? Detached from one another? It feels more like an eclectic collection of random folks Celica picked up along the way who are just kinda coming along for the hell of it or for their own personal reasons and not for her own greater goal. They feel less involved with each other as a whole.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

It's hard to say, but I'll go with Celica, because of overall unit strength.

Mae, Genny, Celica herself, Valbar, Leon, Saber and the Whitewings are way stronger than the best units on Alm's side with the exception of Delthea, who is arguably a better mage than Bae-- I mean Mae. The only units exempt from this are the aforementioned loli and Faye, who is the tankiest Cleric to ever exist, although Genny is pretty much invincible, since she actually manages to hit with Nosferatu all the time.

And Celica is ridiculously pretty. Like, heavens!

You never used Mathilda?

I really don't care for Celica but I (surprisingly to myself) like her group more.

On Alm's side there's Alm, Lukas, Clive, Tobin and Gray but I can't really bring myself to care for the rest and I only really like Alm and Lukas.  This is at the beginning of Act 3 though, so maybe that will change with some newcomers.

I just love Mae/Boey, Saber is cool, Atlas is an enjoyable idiot, I like Leon and Valbar enough to think of it as notable, Genny is adorable sometimes, Deen is basically coldsteel the hedgeheg, Jesse amuses me in the way the many dumb flirts from other games did, it's just an overall much more enjoyable and oftentimes goofy cast. Oh, and they have Palla.  I like Palla.

Or maybe I just have a bias with all these mercs running around.

I really can't say because honestly I enjoy not only the characters in question and their respective units but the maps as well. I had fun with the boat battles and while desert levels are always annoying I love how castles are done here. It feels like the enemy has the advantage which is exactly how it should be. I am having more fun with Echoes than I have had in a long time. The last time I had this much fun with a Fire Emblem game was when I put Radiant Dawn in for the first time. I like how the game encourages you to use terrain to your advantage and warp while nerfed is still fun to use. I also have a lot of fun with the invoke skill as it's a good way to keep the enemy's attention off of my units.

Celica. I enjoyed the diversity in environments and how the maps looked a lot more in contrast to Alm's party where it was predominantly plains or forests. Also I generally liked the characters in Celica's route a little more - especially Saber. <3

It's pretty hard choice for me.

I think I like more of the characters in Celica's army, but Alm has a much more balanced cast to play with. Celica feels overpopulated with mercs and mages, and Alm's got a more rounded mix of everything.

Celica has more varied maps, but at the same time some of those are a slog with the desert and swamp terrain often in the way. Meanwhile Alm mostly gets big, open and boring fields to play on.

I guess I'll go for Alm, even though I dislike his boring maps more than I'm frustrated by Celica's sloggy ones. His side of the story feels a bit more solid and it's fun to utilize the more diverse cast. I stil love Mae, Sonya, Saber and the whitewings on Celica's side, though. They did a good job making both paths pretty equally fun. If only Alm had less plain (in both meanings) maps it'd more strongly lean to his side for me.

On 25.5.2017 at 11:17 PM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

You never used Mathilda?

I did, but her damage output was pretty weak compared to some of the others I used and her Defence is pretty meh, although I appreciate the high Res and that she actually has more stats in the 10-15 range when you get her than Clive had in my game, the guy still sits at an average of around 7 in every stat, except strength where he has 17... and that's as a level 9 Paladin.

She's most likely the best Cavalier-related unit you get, that much I won't deny. I haven't tried the Masked Dude (not saying his name because spoilers) and Zeke yet, though, so we'll see how that turns out.

Sorry for the late reply.

EDIT: I only picked Celica because of overall unit strength. I like the characters from both sides equally, Mathilda included, of course.

Edited by DragonFlames