What do you think of this Celica moveset?

What do you think?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is this Celica moveset any good?

• Yes! That sounds like it'll look great.
    • Yes. It looks balanced and great for tounaments.
    • No, it seems overpowered.
    • No, it doesn't seem powerful enough...
    • No, it sounds like it would be so uncool.

Considering the fact that every Fire Emblem game since Path of Radiance (except Tokyo Mirage Sessions :unsure:) has contained at least one character that also appears in Smash Bros., I think an Echoes rep would be nigh on guaranteed. Also, Alm would be another generic AF swordlord, so he's not getting in! Now, sure, they could make Celica a Robin clone with recoil damage instead of the limited uses mechanic, but that's boring. So, here's my idea for her moveset, with some notes on how it could be used in a competitive setting. I'll assume the mechanics are smash-4-esque.

Tilts (and jab):

Jab: A fast string of two swings with the sword (to reference how easy it is to double in Gaiden) with reasonable damage and low knockback to start or continue combos. However, the move has pathetic range, allowing opponents to stuff the move with their own attacks.

F-tilt: A small explosion comes out of her hand, which deals plenty of horizontal knockback, which makes it a good combo finisher to get the opponent offstage, and can potentially kill if the opponent has a lot of damage. However, the move hits high, so most characters can duck under it, and it also has lag so it's unsafe on shield.

D-tilt: She stabs her sword into the ground, which spikes aerial opponents, breaks shields and buries  grounded opponents for a short time. Great for punishing 2-frame vulnerability and starting kill confirms, but has poor frame data.

U-tilt: Has her summon an angel above her (like the seraphim spell) to juggle opponents and block aerial approaches. However, this move won't hit anyone on the ground.

Dash attack: She summons a cone of wind in front of her that is also an intangible hurtbox, so it can block incoming attacks. The animation is similar to her dash in the dungeons. Useful for stopping rushes but  has a lot of endlag.

Aerials:

N-air: She sets herself on fire for a short amount of time for a multi hit attack, somewhat like Lucas's N-air.

F-air: She swings her sword downward in front of her, which can be used for spacing. Similar to Lucina's F-air.

B-air: She propels herself forward with a small blast of wind which has a powerful windbox at long range, and a decently strong hitbox up close. Could be used twice for an aerial cross-up.

U-air: She summons an angel that flies up to the top blast zone, which can kill very early if the opponent doesn't know how to SDI. However, it deals pathetic damage and doesn't cover her sides or the ground at all, somewhat like megaman's up air.

D-air: She makes a blade of wind underneath her. The start of the move (ie the blade itself) spikes while the later part of the move (her arms) deals weak horizontal knockback and can lead to follow-ups.

Grab:

A slow, short range grab animation that is VERY unsafe. Down tilt is a better shield punish every time.

Her throws all involve her tossing the opponent with wind in the appropriate direction. High knockback, but the only significant damage you'll be getting is off her pummel.

Smashes:

F-smash: A sharp stab with her sword that deals a huge amount of damage and knockback. Causes a crumple animation if you hit with the hilt of the blade. However, the hitbox is very thin and the move has a lot of endlag.

U-smash: A huge plume of fire with multiple hits for maximum damage output. Can cover every landing option except airdodge. However, if the opponent does airdodge or drift far enough away, you're fucked.

D-Smash: Celica slams her hand into the ground, making a huge explosion that hits on both sides and deals insane knockback. However, it has a LOT of start up, the the opponent can react with a roll or spotdodge. It could cover all options in a tech chase if spaced correctly.

Special:

Neutral-B: Seraphim. She fires small angels in front of her, like Falco's lasers.

Side-B: Throwaway food. She throws a food item at the opponent that deals damage and can be eaten for health. You can press B during the animation to hold the food in her hand where it can then be eaten with the attack button or thrown with the grab button.

Down-B: Thunder. On the ground, she charges up a blast of lightning that deals huge damage and knockback and has a disjointed hitbox that extends all the way to the blast zone. In the air, she rises while charging (can be B-reversed) before launching the lightning downwards for the most badass-looking spike in the game. However, the very slow startup makes this move very much fashion over function.

Up-B: Excalibur. On the ground, it's a toned down version of Cloud's limit-break blade beam. This combined with thunder would make a VERY flashy long-range trap that covers all grounded options except jump. In the air, it's a recovery move which surrounds her in wind as she travels up, which works somewhat like Meta Knight's drill Rush.

Final smash: Ragnarok Omega. A VERY beefed up version of her down smash.

Overall: Celica is a slow but long-range character who focuses on covering as many of the opponent's options as possible with powerful hits and combos.

Alternate skins: Celica, Mae, Boey, Tobin, Faye, Silque, Nino(FE7), Lute(FE8)

Stage ideas: There's already a boat stage. Thanks, Toon Link!

PS: If any modders (or even people at Nintendo) want to steal my idea, go for it.

As for why I didn't put this in my smash moveset ideas thread, curse you double-posting rules!

You say down tilt has poor frame data, but then the grab is even worse? Those are some pretty poor options lol.

As proven by Wii Fit Trainer, thin F-smashes are quite terrible.

I feel like the aerials and smash attacks could be bit more unique...

That side B is lol.

6.5/10.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

9 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

You say down tilt has poor frame data, but then the grab is even worse? Those are some pretty poor options lol.

As proven by Wii Fit Trainer, thin F-smashes are quite terrible.

I feel like the aerials and smash attacks could be bit more unique...

That side B is lol.

6.5/10.

You know, I was honestly expecting her to end up OP thanks to her huge down smash that could cover loads of options at the same time, and the Excalibur/Thunder pressure outright forcing a jump.

Of course, we'll never know unless she actually gets in with the exact moveset I stated, which in VERY unlikely!

Let's just hope Nintendo can come up with better, amirite?

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty good moveset. If I'm reading it correctly, her aerial Down B: Thunder is like Pikachu's Thunder but spikable, and on the ground it's like Pikachu's Thunder in reverse, right? It sounds cool and all, but instead of thunder I think it should be Aura. It could still work just as you described. We've seen Aura move upwards before, in the GBA titles and even in the original Gaiden.

On 5/24/2017 at 11:39 PM, The_antithesis said:

Also, Alm would be another generic AF swordlord, so he's not getting in!

Oh for pete's sake, don't play that card. Similar characters can still be made unique, given some effort on the developers' end. And I for one would love to see Alm get in. He does have more going for him than Chrom, at least. I mean he's green-haired rather than blue, and he's a lefty. ...Ok, so it's not much to go off of, and I admit it would be hard to make a unique moveset different enough from the 6 characters we managed to get. But let me put it this way: Let's say that SoV had come out before or during Smash 4's development but before any new FE reps were revealed (so just Marth and Ike). Instead of Robin and Lucina, Alm and Celica are revealed as the new FE reps in the base roster. So with only Marth, Ike, Roy as reps with established movesets, do you think you or they could've come up with a unique moveset for Alm, or would he still have ended up in a Chrom scenario? Even if it would be the latter, a working moveset for Alm wouldn't be too hard to do. Pull from his battle and dungeon animations for attacks. For specials? Pull from various combat arts. I've yet to see them all, but it's a great way to represent that mechanic in Smash. Now just give Alm his Royal Sword and he's ready to go.

Also come on. Scendscale Final Smash, cutscene and all, upscaled on the Switch. You know you want to see that.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

13 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Also come on. Scendscale Final Smash, cutscene and all, upscaled on the Switch. You know you want to see that.

You have my vote! Maybe we can get two reps, like Awakening did.

• 8 months later...

I think that it would fit her, but the only thing I find that doesn't suit her is the Final Smash. I think a better final Smash for her is that she calls Alm and they slash at them similar that Robin's Final smash is, but Alm uses a bow to launch the opponents sideways when the Final Smash ends.