Do you like branching promotions?

Corrobin

Branching promotions: Yay or nay?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like branching promotions?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/Conditional

It really depends. Sometimes I like it and sometimes, I just like to have linear promotions. Though, I wont lie I tend to prefer linear promotions.

I lean more towards liking it though I usually go with "canon" classes. I would like it more if the characters kept their colour palette in all their possible promotions. 

I don't know why people would say no. More options is better, right? I think SoV is a good example of why branching promotions are a good idea. Only 1 sword infantry class that always promotes to the same class? Boring.

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

I don't know why people would say no. More options is better, right? I think SoV is a good example of why branching promotions are a good idea. Only 1 sword infantry class that always promotes to the same class? Boring.

I think that's more a problem of Gaiden having 4 tiers. With just 2 you wouldn't be complaining so much.

And furthermore, it would still be possible to have different characters in the same unpromoted class have different promoted classes. Asbel and Miranda are both Mages in Thracia 776, but one promotes to Sage, and the other Mage Knight.

I always thought it made more sense to just stick with canon classes for the character, but branching classes aren't the worst thing the series has introduced.

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

No, Awakening and Fates have shown that this really isn't the case with this franchise.

Edited by Slumber

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

I always thought it made more sense to just stick with canon classes for the character, but branching classes aren't the worst thing the series has introduced.

No, Awakening and Fates have shown that this really isn't the case with this franchise.

Awakening really did a piss poor job. Fates is fine imo.
... Though both are too much annoying and headache inducing. --

But yeah, I like branching promotion, but I suppose it does depend of the game.

I like branching promotions; having just one specific class for a promotion is really boring for me.

Even if one class is better for a unit, I like simply having the option to try something different. Having choices is important for me, and I like having the variety. Though one thing I find odd in some games is when a mounted unit loses their mount or changes to a different one. For example, in Awakening, Cherche has her wyvern Minerva. And then she promotes to a Griffon Rider. ??? Where did Minerva go???

bring back knife sages

in all seriousness though despite the existence of knife sages being puzzling, I really liked the way path of radiance did it

like, in sacred stones and awakening the decision is almost always "better stats or more weapons" and I almost always went with the latter

but in path of radiance you have to think more about what weapon types your army could use

axes could help oscar more than swords, but kieran and titania already have them

Edited by unique

6 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Awakening really did a piss poor job. Fates is fine imo.
... Though both are too much annoying and headache inducing. --

But yeah, I like branching promotion, but I suppose it does depend of the game.

Fates definitely did a much better job, but it was still a little too much.

11 minutes ago, Carter said:

For example, in Awakening, Cherche has her wyvern Minerva. And then she promotes to a Griffon Rider. ??? Where did Minerva go???

This bothers me to no end, too.