How long to level Mages before promoting (if at all)?

Hi all, question is in the title. Talking about male Mage>Sage specifically.

I am at the point where most of my melee units are promoted (decided to shoot for level 10), but the Mages are starting to lag behind a bit. I had no trouble getting my Clerics to level 15 and promoting them there, but past level 12 it seems Mages gain very little experience. Combine that with the rest of the party leveling up quicker, and it's looking like they are a little underleveled.

At the same time though, I see they don't get much from promotion to Sage in the way of stats. Recover and +10 accuracy alone don't quite seem worth promoting for. I'm a little worried if I promote right away at 12, they will be far worse off.

So, what's your strategy here? What levels did you promote at and what was your experience?

4 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I don't see why you shouldn't promote them. They don't get anything more by keeping them as mages really.

More levels and more stat bonuses I was thinking. I am not super worried about either min-maxing my characters or a LTC run. But if there's a chance they cap at 20 before endgame and are still kinda bad, I'll regret promoting them early.

I mean honestly Delthea's bases at level 3, aside from Defense, are as good or better than my level 12 Tobin and Luthier right now.

1 hour ago, Chaotix said:

More levels and more stat bonuses I was thinking. I am not super worried about either min-maxing my characters or a LTC run. But if there's a chance they cap at 20 before endgame and are still kinda bad, I'll regret promoting them early.

I mean honestly Delthea's bases at level 3, aside from Defense, are as good or better than my level 12 Tobin and Luthier right now.

I'd just promote. I don't think they'll become any better than Delthea if she's like that at level 3 anyways. That 10% extra is pretty rad too. Wouldn't excalibur be 100% there?

You won't reach 20 by endgame, at least on Hard. Most my units are around 6-11, with the exception being Alm at 18 since he's very good once he gets Double Lion, and I tended to overuse him. In all cases, I promoted ASAP.

I use the heck out of Priestess!Faye, and she's still around 10 or so.

Well, Kliff and Luthier get Saggitae at level 15, even though mages promote at level 12. I don't believe they get that spell in their Sage class so I'd hold off on it. Also Delthea gets Ragnorak at level 18, so I'd hold off on promoting her until then as well. Boey gets Excalibur at level 18 as a Mage. I think that's it for characters who get spells on levels past their promote level.

I personally waited to promote so I could get those stat gains. Definitely was worth doing for the postgame lol.

EDIT: I may be incorrect, but I don't think these characters get those listed spells if they promote immediately. If I'm wrong about this feel free to correct me.

Edited by SuperIb

9 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

Well, Kliff and Luthier get Saggitae at level 15, even though mages promote at level 12. I don't believe they get that spell in their Sage class so I'd hold off on it. Also Delthea gets Ragnorak at level 18, so I'd hold off on promoting her until then as well. Boey gets Excalibur at level 18 as a Mage. I think that's it for characters who get spells on levels past their promote level.

The way it works is that they'll still receive the spells at the same internal level. If promoted at Level 12, Kliff will learn Saggitae as a Level 3 Sage.

Promoted as a Level 16 Mage, Delthea will get Ragnarok as a Level 2 Priestess.

Although I'm not sure if promoting counts as gaining a level, so it could be 1 more level than stated here.

Edited by Emerson

7 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

I personally waited to promote so I could get those stat gains. Definitely was worth doing for the postgame lol.

EDIT: I may be incorrect, but I don't think these characters get those listed spells if they promote immediately. If I'm wrong about this feel free to correct me.

I made a topic about if certain spells are still obtainable after promotion. I was told that you do still get them.

Just now, Emerson said:

The way it works is that they'll still receive the spells at the same internal level. If promoted at Level 12, Kliff will learn Saggitae as a Level 3 Sage.

Okay that's good to know. I wasn't sure how they handled that since I waited to learn the spells and my friend didn't have them when he promoted (Level 1 sage).

Thanks for letting me know.