4 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

It just feels like there wasn't much thought put behind her inclusion.  If she had, say, managed to find another passion in life I'd like her!  But she doesn't.  I honestly have no idea why they added her, I guess to make Alm look good?

Well, I guess I do like her actually, but it just feels like a waste.  I wish they had done SOMETHING else with her.

I think she's supposed to fill "a girl who is close to the main character and has a crush on him" slot. Alm's actual love interest has her own journey and they don't join forces until the last map. So they made a loyal waifu character who is always there for Alm and pretty much exists solely for him.

I'm annoyed because they could give their new female villager unit any personality but went for a very shallow option. Plus she has a very good character design that's probably why so many people are eager to talk about her. 

Conrad seems to have similar purpose but it's platonic and he comes with more story baggage.

Edited by Cat Villager

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Cat Villager said:

I think she's supposed to fill "a girl who is close to the main character and has a crush on him" slot. Alm's actual love interest has her own journey and they don't join forces until the last map. So they made a loyal waifu character who is always there for Alm and pretty much exists solely for him.

Funny thing is, Clair already filled that role, and she's got a much better written relationship with Alm than Faye does.

Just now, Thane said:

Funny thing is, Clair already filled that role, and she's got a much better written relationship with Alm than Faye does.

Because just one is clearly not enough for a modern japanese game.  And the fact that Clair gets together with one of Alm's friends makes her, let's say, less appealing for a certain demographic of japanese fans.

I'm going to be honest, I find the posts saying "Another Faye thread?! Cool, you like Faye, no need for a thread" even more frustrating when it's repeated over and over. I'm sure he gets the idea when the third person posts the same critique. The original poster actually offered some well-thought insight into Faye and why he feels she's not necessarily a bad character. Some of her character is misunderstood, she is not the 'manipulative bitch' people rag on her for and she's definitely not a yandere. 

I think the Faye analysis is a bit reaching. Yes, Alm worries about how the war may be affecting her but I see that as general concern for a friend, not an implication Faye's behavior is being warped by war trauma.

I don't dislike her as much as I used to because the voice acting helps her come across more as single-minded and oblivious to the feelings of others instead of knowingly rude, but there just isn't much to her character.

I really love Faye; she's probably my favorite character in all of Echoes.

I'll admit, I did feel really weird about her C-Support with Silque. I didn't like it that much. And I haven't gotten very far into the game, so I haven't read any of her other supports aside from her Alm C-Support, but people say she apologizes and redeems herself, so that sounds great! I get that people find Faye creepy, but I think the amount of hate she gets is a bit much. I agree with everything the OP posted, and I think people should give Faye a chance. But if they still don't like her, that's fine too.

I've noticed people tend to give other characters a pass for things that they use to hate on Faye. For example, Clair is a bitch to Gray in the C-support and B-support. And Tatiana doesn't really have much going for her character outside of "I love Zeke!"

55 minutes ago, Bowbow said:

I've noticed people tend to give other characters a pass for things that they use to hate on Faye. For example, Clair is a bitch to Gray in the C-support and B-support. And Tatiana doesn't really have much going for her character outside of "I love Zeke!"

Gets worse when you realize that Faye is hated for pulling the exact same thing two absolutely beloved characters pulled.

1 hour ago, Bowbow said:

The differences from those two being that Clair has a little bit more characterization besides being just "bitchy" or "lovesick" and that Tatiana's feelings for Zeke are reciprocated.

4 hours ago, Bowbow said:

Clair is not a "bitch" just because she rightfully points out that Gray's feelings for her, whether they are or not, come off as shallow, that he hasn't gotten to know her at all, that he expects her to swoon just because he compliments her, and that he wants her instead of actually loving her (especially considering his initial reasoning for the Deliverance going to rescue her was to extort some form of physical reciprocation from her). Could she have been less abrasive about it? Probably. But nothing she says is actually wrong, especially because Gray's only response to any of her points is just to repeat how he loves her instead of giving her a real answer or giving any of her points consideration. 

As for Tatiana, her relationship with Zeke is more complex than Faye's crush on Alm, given her own desires for his memory not to return but her guilt over it and her own self-confidence issues in general. And unlike Faye, who seems to always have had a crush on Alm just because, her relationship with Zeke developed naturally over time as she cared for his wounds and they later got to know each other. Tatiana has her own goals outside of Zeke, is normally selfless, we get information about her life and relationships outside of Zeke, etc. And while admittedly it isn't much compared to some other characters, it's leagues more than we get for Faye.

Edited by AzureSen

15 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Like Faye squad reporting in.

Reporting for duty!

10 hours ago, abits said:

I think the best compression the faye is actually Cordelia from awakening.

Yes, that comparison seems better than, say, Faye & Tharja.

5 hours ago, Carter said:

I really love Faye; she's probably my favorite character in all of Echoes.

I'll admit, I did feel really weird about her C-Support with Silque. I didn't like it that much.

I actually liked her C-support with Silque. Silque's kind of a gossip, and I rather enjoyed seeing Silque get shot down there. I personally tend to find overly chatty people to be pretty annoying. Not everyone likes chatting, and Faye was assertive about it, without being rude or condescending, she just didn't think there would be anything good to come out of chatting or being friends.

3 hours ago, Bowbow said:

Good points. As for me, I liked Clair bitching out Gray, I personally didn't care all that much for Gray. It probably didn't help my opinion of Gray when he consistently refused to get anything more than one stat when leveling up. I mean, come on, even Atlas was like, "Dude, bro, even my stat gains are better than yours..."

Still haven't gotten Tatiana yet, but I know she's a character that's clumsy, caring, and tries her best to help others. Yes she loves Zeke and has a known romance with him, but she isn't just a Zeke dick rider. And she has the excuse of Zeke loving her back.

Clair isn't a bitch in her supports. She believes Gray's words are empty and is lustful than loving, if I'm interpreting correctly. And she's right for the most part. She apologizes also for her words from her B support because she was just moody about Alm and Celica. Clair, acts the way she does to Gray because she believes his words aren't for love and Alm is already seeking another. Faye acts the way she does to Silque because she's not Alm. Actions should also be noted for their reasons.

Please know that I do not hate Faye. I find her quite adorable but I'm not a big fan of hers. When some people try to justify her character, it's usually by trying to drag another character down to her level. If you like Faye, it's your choice. But disliking her character is much easier than liking her, with what she's shown to us. Most people don't even care about her Yandere/dick riding personality anymore. It's that her character is literally, "ALMALMALM".

Edited by KongDude

6 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Clair isn't a bitch in her supports. She believes Gray's words are empty and is lustful than loving, if I'm interpreting correctly. And she's right for the most part. She apologizes also for her words from her B support because she was just moody about Alm and Celica. Clair, acts the way she does to Gray because he believes his words aren't for love and Alm is already seeking another. Faye acts the way she does to Silque because she's not Alm. Actions should also be noted for their reasons.

Huh, they must have changed that in the localization. In JP, iirc, Clair just says he's not being serious about it, because he doesn't want to go all-in and get hurt from rejection.

7 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Huh, they must have changed that in the localization. In JP, iirc, Clair just says he's not being serious about it, because he doesn't want to go all-in and get hurt from rejection.

As much as I like Gray, he does seem that way for the most part. Localization has Clair telling him that he doesn't want her, he intends to have her, and that he gives empty flattery with no real meaning so in the end, he can say it was all just a jape in good fun. Even if Gray may not feel that way, it's easy to see why Clair thinks of him that way.

Well, I'll at least agree that the comparisons to Tharja and Camilla are misguided.  Those two might have more to them, but they're both the scourge of humanity and the game treats it like their morally questionable actions (Tharja stalking and possibly implied rape, Camilla seeking to kill Corrin and coddle him/her corpse in her arms like a deranged necrophiliac, etc.) are just happy little quirks that you're supposed to laugh at.  Granted, the narrative is still gentle with Faye, but at the very least she isn't doing something that's actively against Alm's wishes.  And at least whatever flaws she has aren't excused by blatant (and badly handled) sex appeal.

In conclusion, while Faye may be a character with the depth of a puddle, she's nowhere near the PoS that Tharja and Camilla are.  Like some have said, she's much more comparable to Marisha from Mystery of the Emblem (specifically New Mystery).  In fact, you might even say she's a near blatant rip-off if it wasn't for the fact that Faye actually interacts with her love interest and literally says she'll kill for him, among a handful of other differences.

3 hours ago, Astellius said:

I actually liked her C-support with Silque. Silque's kind of a gossip, and I rather enjoyed seeing Silque get shot down there. I personally tend to find overly chatty people to be pretty annoying. Not everyone likes chatting, and Faye was assertive about it, without being rude or condescending, she just didn't think there would be anything good to come out of chatting or being friends.

I didn't get why Silque was into gossip like that.  I mean, we don't get much characterization from her outside of her supports with Faye, but she seemed to be a rather devoted clergy woman.  It just seems weird for someone that devoted and well-traveled to be into petty gossip about boys as if she was some chatty teenage girl, especially given that she's 19 (I know that's not the most mature age to be at, but she is legally considered an adult by both Japan's standards and the West's standards).  That was one moment where I honestly thought Faye showed more maturity than another member of the cast (granted, it was only because she was "only interested in Alm", but still).

Faye/Silque actually gave me an appreciation for the latter. She's spent her life training to be a cleric, so she doesn't seem to have any friends. She tries to befriend Faye, but because she has no experience it's awkward and she comes off as patronising.

Faye herself, from what I've seen, is at worst Ilyana. Not an interesting character, but not outright offensive to me like some characters.

11 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Yes, Alm worries about how the war may be affecting her but I see that as general concern for a friend, not an implication Faye's behavior is being warped by war trauma.

I did think of that but it just didn't add up in my eyes. How does Faye go from being against joining the Deliverance to killing enemies in Alm's name to wanting to live a peaceful life where she'll never have to fight again? The only explanation i can think of is that the war was indeed affecting her temporarily.

38 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

(Tharja stalking and possibly implied rape

Wait, what? When was this? I talked about how Tharja curses Robin with a cold in their A-Support. Is that it? Or is what you are referring to something else?

41 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I didn't get why Silque was into gossip like that.  I mean, we don't get much characterization from her outside of her supports with Faye, but she seemed to be a rather devoted clergy woman.  It just seems weird for someone that devoted and well-traveled to be into petty gossip about boys as if she was some chatty teenage girl, especially given that she's 19 (I know that's not the most mature age to be at, but she is legally considered an adult by both Japan's standards and the West's standards).

Now that you bring it up, yeah, why was Silque into gossip? I'm actually gonna take a guess here and say that it wasn't like, high school-level of gossip, but what she wanted to talk about at first was how she met Jesse and how she's fallen in love with him. Yes, i ship Jesse x Silque. I think a lot of people do actually.

Still, Silque should've gotten more Supports. If there weren't gonna be cross-route Supports, at least let Silque Support with Tatiana. Interactions between Clerics of the Mila and Duma Faiths would've been interesting.

Of course, Faye should've gotten more Supports as well. Let her Support with at least one of the Ram Villagers.

4 hours ago, AzureSen said:

Clair is not a "bitch" just because she rightfully points out that Gray's feelings for her

2 hours ago, KongDude said:

Clair isn't a bitch in her supports. She believes Gray's words are empty and is lustful than loving, if I'm interpreting correctly. And she's right for the most part.

Agree, Clair seems well justified in spurning Gray's advances, he just seems infatuated with her. I probably should've changed the language in my own post, rather than just sticking with what was said. In any case, I liked Clair's rebuke of Gray, it was perhaps more than he deserved, but oh well!

47 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I didn't get why Silque was into gossip like that.  I mean, we don't get much characterization from her outside of her supports with Faye, but she seemed to be a rather devoted clergy woman.  It just seems weird for someone that devoted and well-traveled to be into petty gossip about boys as if she was some chatty teenage girl, especially given that she's 19.

Some people are into gossip, I'm not sure there needs to be a deeper motivating reason? It's certainly not limited to younger girls. But it's certainly immature, and Silque seems otherwise mature (from what little we see of her). Perhaps she didn't have any of that kind of chatter when she was growing up, since she traveled around a lot, and grew up in the religious environment. So perhaps she never really had the opportunity to do it earlier with other girls, and is trying to indulge in it now.

1 hour ago, Baldrick said:

Faye/Silque actually gave me an appreciation for the latter. She's spent her life training to be a cleric, so she doesn't seem to have any friends. She tries to befriend Faye, but because she has no experience it's awkward and she comes off as patronising.

I guess that makes sense.  She probably heard that girls like to talk about boys and so that's what she opened with.  It's almost sad to think she probably put way too much preparation into gossiping, trying to get dirt on some of the fellas and generally just trying to be a fly on the wall, only for Faye to shut her down before she even had a chance to use the gossip knowledge she gained.

I do like that in the end Faye still is opposed to gossip, but expresses interest in learning more about Silque herself after coming to the conclusion that she could use to have a friend like her.  I'll reiterate that she isn't the worst character in the series, but I'm still disappointed that she is, in my opinion, not as good a character as her male villager colleagues.  But the more I discuss and analyze it, the more I think the comparisons to shitty yandere characters and the general hatred are undeserved.  I'll probably never outright love Faye, but I think I'll always appreciate her more than Tharja or Camilla.

For the record, I don't actually hate any characters, not even the two I keep mentioning (though I definitely think they're highly overrated like most popular characters), and I generally don't get offended by things in video games.  I just use harsh rhetoric to describe my opinions and mention potentially offensive elements like stalking because that's just my MO at this point.  It takes a lot to get me to genuinely hate a something or someone in a fictional work.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait, what? When was this? I talked about how Tharja curses Robin with a cold in their A-Support. Is that it? Or is what you are referring to something else?

I'm gonna put this in spoilers because I know that not everyone likes reading about this sort of stuff, and this is hardly the place for an extended discussion on this particular topic.

Spoiler

I'm referring to the part in that support after Robin passes out the second time, and Tharja remarks on how "helpless" he is.  Of course, maybe she just likes staring at him in a helpless state or intends to curse him further (which is still not okay), but my big boy mind knows that a rapist is another kind of person who'd benefit from (and be so gleeful about) someone being helplessly asleep, and I wouldn't put it above Tharja to do something like that.  Yeah, it's a PG game, but that doesn't mean a damn thing when writers regularly sneak in adult-themed jokes and other such elements into kids' cartoons.

But again, it's only a possibility.  And that's the only time where such a thing is even within the realm of possibility.  It's a sort of thing that's up for interpretation.  And from how some people have remarked that Awakening "tackles surprisingly mature topics", I'm sure I'm not the only one who got this impression.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Now that you bring it up, yeah, why was Silque into gossip? I'm actually gonna take a guess here and say that it wasn't like, high school-level of gossip, but what she wanted to talk about at first was how she met Jesse and how she's fallen in love with him. Yes, i ship Jesse x Silque. I think a lot of people do actually.

Still, Silque should've gotten more Supports. If there weren't gonna be cross-route Supports, at least let Silque Support with Tatiana. Interactions between Clerics of the Mila and Duma Faiths would've been interesting.

Of course, Faye should've gotten more Supports as well. Let her Support with at least one of the Ram Villagers.

I think it's partly to do with what Armagon said as well.

I also just kind of have an aversion to gossiping; at least malicious gossiping.  I'll vaguely talk about people in general, but I hate talking about specific people unless I have something middling or good to say about them.  Or if it's a politician or employer, but I think that's a different type of discussion entirely.  Point is, I'm probably projecting a bit on Silque and judging her a little too harshly.

And there are a lot of characters who should've gotten more support convos.  I mean for example, what's up with Genny and Sonya only supporting each other?  I think the only characters who absolutely didn't need more support convos are Alm and Celica.

43 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I generally don't get offended by things in video games. 

For me, I'm not offended by the characters themselves as much as the context they're in. If I can marry and have children with a character, I can't help but take it as a judgment of what sort of character appeals to me as a partner.

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

just going to point out that Faye doesn't get any support bonouses from Celica while all the other villagers do.

just sayin.

I think it's funny that she loses avoid when Alm is near. Keeps the realism in check lol.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:26 PM, Armagon said:

To begin, we know that Faye has a crush on Alm, which is her main trait.

Anyway go ahead and tell me what you think of this essay i made regarding why i like Faye. 

Sadly, it seems to be her only trait.  I don't hate her, but her constant Alm fawning gets a bit annoying.  Even Camilla had the occasional support where she didn't talk about Corrin.

Ironically, my Faye has been really RNG blessed and is one of my best units.