Idea for a better arena scoring system!!!

The most annoying thing about arena for me are the bonus heroes - or at least the way its been handled so for.

The thing is that bonus heroes arent really bonus heroes - they are pretty much essential if you want to have a chance at all to score a decent result and thus get some additional feathers. With the new tier system they have become even more important to a certain degree as going in without a bonus hero you will definitely decrease in tier rank,

Thankfully IS didnt just include units of the latest focus banner but also included the latest Grand Hero, free daily units and the askr trio. While I understand that the latest focus units as bonus heroes might push sales, its not a given that even those who buy orbs actually get one of those units. In regard to the grand hero its become quite likely that most players will manage to get the 4* version. However, not everyone will want to spend 20k feathers on every grand hero - getting 20k feathers within two weeks is also quite impossible based on my experience. A safer way to have a 5* bonus unit is to upgrade the ask trio - they have been bonus heroes for the last 6 seasons - and it seems as if they are going to stay - though it hasnt been officially confirmed. Not everyone might want to upgrade them though because of different projects.

One intention behind the bonus hero system is to make people use different teams rather than one and the same all the time - a good idea imo.

IMO it shouldnt be necessary to use a bonus hero in order to score high at the arena. You should be able to get enough points in order to pass that 4000 point line without having to use a bonus hero. That would be fair.

But what about the bonus heroes?

I think they should stay! And actually provide a bonus - in a similar fashion we get a bonus during gauntlets if we happen to have the hero that we are supporting.

Besides the number of bonus heroes we employ should also have an impact. Right now we get double points no matter how many heroes we use,1,2,3 or 4 it doesnt matter as long as its one.

My idea would be to just stick to the double point system!

If I can get 680 points for a deathless battle with a bonus hero, I should get that same amount without a bonus hero.

However, if I use a bonus hero, I should get a bonus of 3%, 20-21 points for each bonus hero I use. This would make the arena pretty interesting. On the one hand everyone could score high, on the other hand people might make use of as many bonus units as they can in order to score higher and get a real bonus to their scoring card. Same system could apply to defense wins which could make for some interesting battles. Its might be also strategic and risky if your full  team of bonus units might not be that great and you might lose here and there. Overall I think the arena would become much more unpredictable, especially the scoring system. 

Thanks to this system people who dont use bonus heroes might get for example 4750 points in the arena when they perform a deathless run - a full team of bonus heroes might get around 5300 points. Thats a good bonus for using bonus units. On the other hand in order to score high a player using bonus units wouldnt necessarily need a deathless run in order to secure a high score - and that would be a nice bonus for p2w people.

What do you guys think about this?

Bonus heroes are a good idea. It forces variance among arena teams. Otherwise, you could just make one team and never have to change anything up ever. Whales with a full team of +10s would be set forever.

And having defense teams require a bonus hero now means that you have at least a small idea of what to be prepared for every week. If there are a couple Cavalry units on the list, you can expect some horse emblem teams, etc.

It doesn't matter how much the bonus for the bonus heroes is. It will alway be enough to make people run one of them. A difference of 20 point can end up being hundreds of spots higher or lower.

Giving more bonus for more bonus heroes would drastically change the meta game, and would make it much less fun for people who already struggle to fit just one bonus hero on their team, let alone 4.

I think you should be able to break the 4k mark without a bonus hero. The bonus units should be more about staying competitive with your tier.

Honestly, I think that it's fine the way it is. The bonus heroes giving double forces everyone to try out different teams. If they didn't, then the less competitive could just stick with the same units and never need to try anything new - which means they'd be less likely to pull from the various banners, which then means less orbs being spent and likely less money going into the game.

I could be wrong about this, but that's my thoughts towards it.

1 hour ago, Hawk King said:

Bonus heroes are a good idea. It forces variance among arena teams. Otherwise, you could just make one team and never have to change anything up ever. Whales with a full team of +10s would be set forever.

And having defense teams require a bonus hero now means that you have at least a small idea of what to be prepared for every week. If there are a couple Cavalry units on the list, you can expect some horse emblem teams, etc.

It doesn't matter how much the bonus for the bonus heroes is. It will alway be enough to make people run one of them. A difference of 20 point can end up being hundreds of spots higher or lower.

Giving more bonus for more bonus heroes would drastically change the meta game, and would make it much less fun for people who already struggle to fit just one bonus hero on their team, let alone 4.

Well, the idea was to be more inclusive towards those who struggle with getting even 1 bonus hero. Reaching the 4000 mark should be posdible for all.

Bonus heroes should give a bonus to those who happen to have them. The meta wouldnt drastically change as p2w whales will always be on top. 

F2p who struggle with a bonus hero or have to use a very weak - lets say wrys for the current season are at a disadvantage. Getting an ample amount of feathers each week is important in the long run imo.

One way or the other prefet the bonus system of the gauntlets. Imagine it would be double points during the gauntlets as well. A 10% bonus on the other hand gives an edge to those who have the unit but still doesnt exclude all others from getting a decent score.

1 hour ago, Jedrus Lilac said:

Well, the idea was to be more inclusive towards those who struggle with getting even 1 bonus hero. Reaching the 4000 mark should be posdible for all.

Everyone has bonus heroes. They always include the 3 main heroes and the 12 free ones.

3 hours ago, Hawk King said:

And having defense teams require a bonus hero now means that you have at least a small idea of what to be prepared for every week.

the whole "required" thing kinda confuses me. i know you get more points on defense with a bonus hero, but does that even do anything? do defense points affect your overall ranking now? 

4 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

the whole "required" thing kinda confuses me. i know you get more points on defense with a bonus hero, but does that even do anything? do defense points affect your overall ranking now? 

Nope. It just gives you more feathers to a max of 900, at least to my understanding. It doesn't reflect on my tier score with my defence wins, at least.

Imo, it's inclusive enough. If you refuse or struggle to base teams around the bonus units, of which people are always guaranteed to have Alfonse, Sharena or Anna (plus it seems to include one of the freebie hero battle units I believe), then you get less points. Nothing unfair about it - everyone is in the same boat, more or less. Some people just have more units to work around, but that's the point of encouraging this. If we made it more 'inclusive' then we might as well just give everyone the feathers for over 4000 points without them even battling in the arena :/

Edited by Cute Chao

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

Nope. It just gives you more feathers to a max of 900, at least to my understanding. It doesn't reflect on my tier score with my defence wins, at least.

oh! i somehow totally missed that when looking at defense rewards, i thought the feather reward cap hadn't changed xD sigh, doubt i'd get any wins with a bonus hero on defense, i struggle to get defense wins as it is.