Natalie's Art (New: Sumia)

badatfireemblem

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• badatfireemblem changed the title to Natalie's Art (New: Micaiah (Pokemon Style))

I finally managed to get around to doing one of Fire Emblem Compendium's challenges! I didn't know I could actually go so far out of my style. 

alt title: "just watch it birdy..."

15 hours ago, Septimius Severus said:

It looks great as always (though now in quite a different way~)!

I'm glad you saw this through to the end; I think the effort's well paid off.

Thank you~

I'm tempted to do a few more of these sometime because I'm really pleased with the result.

I'm taking part in June Poke Journey art challenge this month. I can't do full finished pieces in a day, so I'll be making sketches and rough paintings. 
I won't be posting everything here, so if anyone wants to follow my daily posts they will be on my Twitter/Tumblr.

The prompts link is here: http://wildelectrictype.tumblr.com/post/173173588271/ive-always-seen-pokémon-art-challenges-where-you

Sorry for not posting here often. It's great seeing you try out a different style. I think the Micaiah piece turned out so good.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/06/2018 at 10:25 PM, Shuuda said:

Sorry for not posting here often. It's great seeing you try out a different style. I think the Micaiah piece turned out so good.

Thanks Shuuda ~ I was really pleased with that one as I always thought I couldn't lineart aha.

Couple of recent commissions and a Zelda.

QaH82qol.jpg

zZ4L4dPl.jpg

Cw3hjbgl.jpg

• badatfireemblem changed the title to Natalie's Art (New: Olwen, Silas, Zelda)
1 hour ago, Shuuda said:

Your style suits Zelda so wonderfully.

Thank you : 3

A FE Discord server I'm in has started doing challenges. The first was a beach theme. 

• badatfireemblem changed the title to Natalie's Art (New: Summer Rebecca)

Very nice!  Summer is my favorite season.

Also, a bit late, but I like the Zelda.  Your art has gotten so well to the point that I can't think of much to criticize anymore.

That summer Rebecca looks very cute! *w* And the rest is so awesome too! :D

The moment I saw that Micaiah, I knew it was Pokemon-styled without looking at the text!

14 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Very nice!  Summer is my favorite season.

Also, a bit late, but I like the Zelda.  Your art has gotten so well to the point that I can't think of much to criticize anymore.

Aww thank you Rezzy~

That's really sweet. Since starting commissions I've really pushed myself and it's given me a lot more confidence in what I do so I'm glad my hard work is paying off : )

12 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

That summer Rebecca looks very cute! *w* And the rest is so awesome too! :D

The moment I saw that Micaiah, I knew it was Pokemon-styled without looking at the text!

Thank you so much!

Aha thanks, I'm really glad you could tell. 

12 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Awesome

Thanks!

Who are your OCs?  The second one looks Zelda-y.

Poor Corrin, those long ribbons get caught in the pool filter, not that it's happened to me.

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Who are your OCs?  The second one looks Zelda-y.

Poor Corrin, those long ribbons get caught in the pool filter, not that it's happened to me.

I'm not sure yet haha. Though the bottom one is either an elf or fairy but I haven't decided which. I love drawing huge ears for elves though (and Zelda), so probably the latter. They're definitely a couple at least.

Corrin's leg ribbon is rather ridiculous, as is Summer Robin's leg belt.

Hello! I'm a bit new to this forum, but I love the painterly feel of your artwork! You have a good grasp of anatomy and proportion and I especially adore your Zelda and Summer Rebecca.

My only critique is that I feel like the contrast between shading and highlights in some of the pieces (like the Zelda one) is a bit too steep. When shading, it's good to keep in mind how texture affects lighting. Most cloths aren't very reflective, so the highlights aren't as bright. However, metals are very reflective, so the shadows and highlights have high contrast. The intensity of the light source also factors in to the level of contrast. Low intensity light: Low contrast. High intensity light: high contrast.

Here are a few resources for lighting tips that explain a lot better than I do:
https://www.deviantart.com/trisketched/art/HOW-TO-MAKE-YOUR-ART-LOOK-NICE-Lighting-615094374 (short and simple, but still very helpful.)
http://stuff.veekun.com/pkcolor/ (this one is longer and more in depth. It's mostly about color theory, but it's got a handy section on lighting too.)
https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/improve-your-artwork-by-learning-to-see-light-and-shadow--cms-20282 (this one is super in depth and technical, but it's worth a good read.)

Keep up the good work! Shading is tricky, but I have no doubt that you'll keep improving. You've already improved so much over the course of this thread. And I'd love to see more of your lovely works in the future!

1 hour ago, oshii said:

Hello! I'm a bit new to this forum, but I love the painterly feel of your artwork! You have a good grasp of anatomy and proportion and I especially adore your Zelda and Summer Rebecca.

My only critique is that I feel like the contrast between shading and highlights in some of the pieces (like the Zelda one) is a bit too steep. When shading, it's good to keep in mind how texture affects lighting. Most cloths aren't very reflective, so the highlights aren't as bright. However, metals are very reflective, so the shadows and highlights have high contrast. The intensity of the light source also factors in to the level of contrast. Low intensity light: Low contrast. High intensity light: high contrast.

Here are a few resources for lighting tips that explain a lot better than I do:
https://www.deviantart.com/trisketched/art/HOW-TO-MAKE-YOUR-ART-LOOK-NICE-Lighting-615094374 (short and simple, but still very helpful.)
http://stuff.veekun.com/pkcolor/ (this one is longer and more in depth. It's mostly about color theory, but it's got a handy section on lighting too.)
https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/improve-your-artwork-by-learning-to-see-light-and-shadow--cms-20282 (this one is super in depth and technical, but it's worth a good read.)

Keep up the good work! Shading is tricky, but I have no doubt that you'll keep improving. You've already improved so much over the course of this thread. And I'd love to see more of your lovely works in the future!

If you're talking about Zelda's dress I was going for a satin look which makes the highlights sharper than other clothing.

Though I do really emphasise contrast and colour in my pieces for a brighter warmer look so it may just be a bit too much sometimes.

Thanks for the advice! : )

1 hour ago, Natalie said:

If you're talking about Zelda's dress I was going for a satin look which makes the highlights sharper than other clothing.

Oof yeah, I'm not used to seeing satin so I didn't recognize the cloth. My mistake. I hope the critique wasn't too overbearing. I know I can be at times, so sorry if I was. 

1 hour ago, Natalie said:

Though I do really emphasise contrast and colour in my pieces for a brighter warmer look so it may just be a bit too much sometimes. 

I do love the colors you use. The bright and warm look puts a smile on my face. 

5 hours ago, oshii said:

Oof yeah, I'm not used to seeing satin so I didn't recognize the cloth. My mistake. I hope the critique wasn't too overbearing. I know I can be at times, so sorry if I was. 

I do love the colors you use. The bright and warm look puts a smile on my face. 

Ah no worries! I'm not sure I've entirely got the material down yet so it's completely understandable. Fabrics are hard and I've particularly struggled with swimwear. 

Thank you. I like mixing the painting style with bright colours because although I love them, so many old oil paintings are faded and the colours have become muted. I wanted to do something bright and fun for a change : )

I forgot to post this Azelle sketch commission from awhile ago too!

r2BwpSWl.jpg

Also if anyone wants to see any process shots of my pieces, feel free to give me a shout because I keep all the older versions. : )

A few people have asked about streaming on Twitch too which I haven't really considered because it's public, but if anyone on SF is interested too I'll bear it in mind for future.

• badatfireemblem changed the title to Natalie's Art (New: Azelle Sketch)
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/07/2018 at 11:00 PM, Ciarre said:

These are gorgeous! It's been amazing seeing your improvement with each piece and how beautiful they're turning out. Keep up the great work!

On 31/07/2018 at 6:14 AM, LeBreadMaster said:

Pristine. I like the robe and hair the most.

Sorry it's late, but thank you both so much : 3

• badatfireemblem changed the title to Natalie's Art (New: Sucy (Little Witch Academia))