Sign in to follow this  
Rindille

Portrait criticize?

Recommended Posts

I've been working on some custom portraits for a while. However, even edited a thousand times I still feel something wrong with them. So if someone experienced in spriting could give me any suggestion, I would really appreciate it.

Spoiler

Portrait.png.421bd4ef119c47b0d31ba9ef7bb8af42.png02.png.326d815c1a23ebd95334fc2f95a75913.png03.png.7ceee0ef67ccf5621f67b0dec5bd1cff.png

 
 

 

Edited by Rindille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3rd mug is fine as it's basically just a small edit of Farina. However, the first portrait isn't right on a few levels. Firstly, there's no outline on most of the hair, and I'm pretty sure you are using FE8 colours for the hair with FE7 skin tone, which creates clash. The hair around the face could do with some darker shading as well. If you look at Farina's hair you will notice there is ample usage of the 3rd and even 4th skin tones around the hair to create the illusion of depth. So the 1st portrait's hair looks a bit flat due to the lack of shading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Agro said:

The 3rd mug is fine as it's basically just a small edit of Farina. However, the first portrait isn't right on a few levels. Firstly, there's no outline on most of the hair, and I'm pretty sure you are using FE8 colours for the hair with FE7 skin tone, which creates clash. The hair around the face could do with some darker shading as well. If you look at Farina's hair you will notice there is ample usage of the 3rd and even 4th skin tones around the hair to create the illusion of depth. So the 1st portrait's hair looks a bit flat due to the lack of shading.

 

Thanks for the feedback! I improved it a little.

Spoiler

impro.png.f55e2d6f728f6d576d57cc1a25a08a95.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! Looks heaps better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First one isn't awful, but it needs work. The way his head is positioned and sized makes it look like his armor doesn't fit on him right. You can fix this by either altering or replacing the the shoulder pads, or repositioning the head from the neck up. If that doesn't work, you may have to reattempt the face entirely. I can't tell what colors you used, but the hair looks very out of place. Lastly, this might be just me, but the outline on this guy looks oddly jagged, like there are some extra black pixels that don't need to be there especially around the chin and collar area.

The second one is really nice though. Simple and effective. However it does have a couple tiny issues. It's clear you used Sonia's hair, but you need to make more alterations to it the way you're using it. Sonia's hair drapes down her back, while on this lady, it's going over her shoulders. It's fine if you want to do that, but instead of extending the hair in a way that looks natural, you just cut it off, so that it looks like it's hanging in a way it shouldn't be (See the hair on our right) Thankfully, this is an easy thing to fix. Just take some other hair, and paste it over. You'll obviously have to recolor and make manual edits, but it'll look a lot nicer either way. The second issue, is that her eyes are just a teeny bit mismatched. They look to be different sizes, and the one on the right has more dark colors in it, making it look more emotionless and glazed over. They also look like they're staring in slightly different directions. They're close enough that it might be excusable and overlooked, it's just a small thing I noticed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/5/28 at 5:07 PM, Zelkami said:

First one isn't awful, but it needs work. The way his head is positioned and sized makes it look like his armor doesn't fit on him right. You can fix this by either altering or replacing the the shoulder pads, or repositioning the head from the neck up. If that doesn't work, you may have to reattempt the face entirely. I can't tell what colors you used, but the hair looks very out of place. Lastly, this might be just me, but the outline on this guy looks oddly jagged, like there are some extra black pixels that don't need to be there especially around the chin and collar area.

The second one is really nice though. Simple and effective. However it does have a couple tiny issues. It's clear you used Sonia's hair, but you need to make more alterations to it the way you're using it. Sonia's hair drapes down her back, while on this lady, it's going over her shoulders. It's fine if you want to do that, but instead of extending the hair in a way that looks natural, you just cut it off, so that it looks like it's hanging in a way it shouldn't be (See the hair on our right) Thankfully, this is an easy thing to fix. Just take some other hair, and paste it over. You'll obviously have to recolor and make manual edits, but it'll look a lot nicer either way. The second issue, is that her eyes are just a teeny bit mismatched. They look to be different sizes, and the one on the right has more dark colors in it, making it look more emotionless and glazed over. They also look like they're staring in slightly different directions. They're close enough that it might be excusable and overlooked, it's just a small thing I noticed.

 
 
 
 
 

Okay. Based on your feedback, I tried to fix them a little:

Spoiler

 untitled.png.1bc16f0a0baf47853ef2a6a9b63224f3.png Does his head still not fit?(Hope not)

 
 
 
 
 

 

Edited by Rindille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New first one is much better.  The circlet looks a bit off center, but it's great otherwise. For the second one, I think you may need to find a new head to use as the base. I think the problem lies with the angle of the neck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zelkami said:

New first one is much better.  The circlet looks a bit off center, but it's great otherwise. For the second one, I think you may need to find a new head to use as the base. I think the problem lies with the angle of the neck.

 

Hmm...I don't know. Personally I think the second one is fine with me. The head and the neck are both the original ones. The only thing I did was giving him a new armor...So if anything wrong, it should be the armor not the head?? :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a while. I made a new mug recently.

Spoiler

NewEdMaybe.png.7205502ac2c22f5a3014f825d47c52a5.png

Your valid criticism will be really appreciated! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At first glance:
-Hair is pillow shaded
-Super long neck
-I can see what you're going for for the angle but it just kinda...flopped
-The neck also seems kinda thin /or/ Back of head is a bit too big
-There's some traces of banding on the clothes and scarf

So:
-Shorten the neck by like, 4/5 pixels
-The outfit needs more AA
-Shrink the back of the head by like, 2/3 pixels /or/ Push the head back by 2/3 pixels
-The shoulders could be 2/3 pixels wider despite the angle

Terminology you may or may not know:
-Pillow shading: Shading without taking into account the specific light source and is just a front on light source
-AA: Anti-aliasing: The use of other pixels to smooth out jagged lines (I don't really know how to explain it well, so you're better off looking up something on it online :B)
-Banding: Shading with pixels placed unnaturally orderly along the outline

Overall:
-Pretty decent hair, it looks pretty good but could use work
-Colour choice for hair is pretty good but the scarf's colours might need slightly more contrast
-The eye colours kinda waste colour slots as you aren't really using it any where else, vanilla FE typically use the colours already in the mug for eye colours and rarely uses unique colours for eyes unless there's a free colour slot
-I would recommend sticking to splicing for a little longer and try making more complex splices, that way you can get used to feeling out colour picking and the general shading style of the vanilla FE mugs

Disclaimer:
I may or may not be talking out my ass so I may be very wrong on everything :B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlazeKing said:

At first glance:
-Hair is pillow shaded
-Super long neck
-I can see what you're going for for the angle but it just kinda...flopped
-The neck also seems kinda thin /or/ Back of head is a bit too big
-There's some traces of banding on the clothes and scarf

So:
-Shorten the neck by like, 4/5 pixels
-The outfit needs more AA
-Shrink the back of the head by like, 2/3 pixels /or/ Push the head back by 2/3 pixels
-The shoulders could be 2/3 pixels wider despite the angle

Terminology you may or may not know:
-Pillow shading: Shading without taking into account the specific light source and is just a front on light source
-AA: Anti-aliasing: The use of other pixels to smooth out jagged lines (I don't really know how to explain it well, so you're better off looking up something on it online :B)
-Banding: Shading with pixels placed unnaturally orderly along the outline

Overall:
-Pretty decent hair, it looks pretty good but could use work
-Colour choice for hair is pretty good but the scarf's colours might need slightly more contrast
-The eye colours kinda waste colour slots as you aren't really using it any where else, vanilla FE typically use the colours already in the mug for eye colours and rarely uses unique colours for eyes unless there's a free colour slot
-I would recommend sticking to splicing for a little longer and try making more complex splices, that way you can get used to feeling out colour picking and the general shading style of the vanilla FE mugs

Disclaimer:
I may or may not be talking out my ass so I may be very wrong on everything :B

Thank you for the feedback! Very useful.

(I actually didn't use vanilla mugs. All parts were custom. And when I draw, I have a tendency to give characters long necks.(dunno why lol))

Edited by Rindille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what do you think about these two mugs?

Spoiler

595fbd619f7a2_newtwo.png.2beea0759d4efa2910a347bf485424c4.png

I mean they're still in progress but I want to make sure their angles are right and necks are not too long etc. before any further work.

Edited by Rindille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much I can add, they have relatively the same issues as above, thin, long necks, small shoulders and big heads (kinda reminds me of how I used to draw heads), but their hair shapes look pretty nice, but the shading is quite off, like I said, I recommend sticking to splicing vanilla mugs until you get the hang of the overall shading style and colours of those mugs, since for now, there is a lot of banding, pillow shading and lack of AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about this one? (I tried to fix some issue addressed above

Spoiler

Martha.png.2545807e1b7f0c20f66c1bb4fbc2876d.png

Hope it's not too bad :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.