[Fates] FEFEditor

thane98

I've developed a handful of different tools since joining the Fates hacking community. A little while ago, I decided to start working on a unified editor to act as my main tool for building Fates hacks. Now, the tool is ready for release!

FEFEditor comes with tools which make the process of designing new characters and chapters significantly easier. Using tools like the GameData Injector and ROM3 Injector, one can add entirely new characters with custom models to the game without the need to open a hex editor. Meanwhile, chapter editing tools like the dispo editor allow you to spend more time designing your map and less time worrying about how to add in new spawns.

In addition to a set of brand new tools, FEFEditor also offers substantial improvements to existing tools. For instance, I've included a new version of FEFNightmare with updated dialogs, automatic lz11 compression, and a new interface for accessing modules. I've also rebuilt my original support editor in Java. This updated version should ensure that you no longer need to worry about moving support tables around manually - the program will take care of expanding your GameData file for you.

In short, FEFEditor should provide a convenient set of tools for any Fates ROM hacker to use for development.

Download: link

Troubleshooting:
I'm going to be honest: I'm expecting there to be a LOT of bugs with this program right now. Given how many different aspect of Fates hacking it covers, there's no way that I can test every situation with every tool on my own. While the tool has worked fine for me during my own tests, I cannot guarantee that it will work perfectly for you. Therefore, I advise you to backup your files before making any modifications to them just in case something goes wrong.

Please report any bugs that you encounter - I have no way to fix a bug if I don't know that it exists. Additionally, if you find anything inconvenient about the tool or have suggestions as to how to improve it, feel free to post about them here.

Credits:
  • SecretiveCactus, SciresM, and Einstein95 - Both FEFEditor and FEFNightmare make use of code for handling lz11 compressed files. The code used for this is derived from Einstein95's DSDecmp and SciresM's FEAT. That code was ported over to Java by SecretiveCactus.
  • Hextator - The developer of Nightmare 2.0, which FEFNightmare uses as a base.
  • RainThunder - Developed the original scripts for injecting data into Fates' bin files and created Fates' Nightmare modules. A huge portion of this program was created using his resources as a reference.
  • DeathChaos25, TildeHat - For their general contributions to the 3DS Fire Emblem hacking scene.
Updates
Spoiler
  • Added a new rendition of Fates Script with a tweaked script format and support for scripts from both Awakening and Echoes.
  • Added placeholder menus for Awakening and Echoes editors.
  • Added a "Duplicate Block" option to the dispos editor.
  • Added hotkeys for various menu options in the dispos editor.
  • Fixed a bug which would cause blocks to always use their X1/Y1 coordinate on the dispos grid when editing X2/Y2.
Spoiler
  • Reworked FEFNightmare and added in a way to create module-based injectors. Character, Chapter, Item, and AID injection is now handled through this new version of FEFNightmare instead of the old tools.
  • Added a support editor for DLC files.
  • Redid every remaining editor's UI to match the new look.
  • Added injectors for custom classes and skills.
  • Lots of additional changes related to FEFNightmare specifically. There are too many to spend time listing them all out.
Spoiler
  • Added a dialogue editor for DLC files.
  • Updated the GUI for the config editor and dialogue editor to use material design libraries. The other editors will receive similar overhauls in the next update.
  • Made some small tweaks to the default window sizes for the main window and dialogue editor.

Edited by thane98
Added some clarification to the title.

Update 3 is out! The primary feature of this update is a new rendition of Fates Script with support for Awakening and Echoes. The script format's changed a little bit, so old scripts aren't compatible with the new version. Consequently, I'm including both the original version of Fates Script and the new version. Anyways, here's a list of changes:
  • Added a new rendition of Fates Script with a tweaked script format and support for scripts from both Awakening and Echoes.
  • Added placeholder menus for Awakening and Echoes editors.
  • Added a "Duplicate Block" option to the dispos editor.
  • Added hotkeys for various menu options in the dispos editor.
  • Fixed a bug which would cause blocks to always use their X1/Y1 coordinate on the dispos grid when editing X2/Y2.
You can find a download link in the main post.