How would you feel if Elibe Echoes did a Book1/2 format

Jedi

If we happen to get FE6 or 7 Echoes at some point (yes i'm aware of the interview with the director of SoV saying he'd like to do fe6 if he gets the chance). 

How would you feel if they did it in an FE3 style where you'd have Book 1, which would be entirely FE7, and Book 2 being FE6, effectively two remakes in one game? Unless they decided to do it Fates style, (Buy 1 get the other cheaper).

I know some of you want a FE6+7 with like inheritance, but I think that would be way too long as a singular experience, unless you like severely abridged them. Which I suppose could work, but I feel it'd detract.

Edited by Jedi

Meh. They could do something like that, but the two games are a lot less connected than Mystery of the Emblem proper, the Tellius duo and Genealogy's two generations. I agree with you in that it would be awfully long to play as a single experience, and Blazing Blade vanilla already suffers from replay padding to unlock HHM (let's pray they don't bring that back). That being said, you'd almost certainly be able to start from FE6 without playing 7, at least after your first time through.

Overall I'd prefer a Mystery or Genealogy Echoes use the two-book/generation system than shoehorn it into Elibe. It could work, and it would be nice to get two games for the price of one, but I don't see it enriching the saga as much as people believe.

For what it's worth, you can start Book 2 in FE3 without playing Book 1.  I'd imagine it'd work the same way here.  I do agree with the rest of what you said just because they don't really feel as connected (although, of course, a remake could definitely change that up for the better).

i think it'd be an awful idea, personally

not only do both games have almost entirely separate stories (the only part of 7 that really ties into 6 is the bern part), it'd most probably lead to each of them getting half the effort they'd get if they were separate remakes. either that, or it would take much longer to actually come out. the only positive I can really think of is that it'd be cheaper

i can't think of any reason for this and I sincerely hope they don't do it

I would personally prefer that format. Since FE7 starts with a ten chapter easy mode that lacks permadeath and is already the easier game, it's extremely fortuitous that FE7 would be the Book 1. FE6 and 7 also have a massive problem of not including most of its cast into the story, which Echoes did a lot to rectify with its cast - though there were much less characters to consider. Several subplots in 7 get dropped too like Raven's revenge against Ostia, or Lyn's revenge against the Taliver Bandits (that gets resolved offscreen, by Wallace. Gods, please rewrite it to be anything else).

I think the biggest challenge with this format is deciding if pairings should be a thing. At the end of the day, it only matters who gets with Eliwood and Hector. I don't especially care who spawned Wolt. Hawkeye and Canas already had their kids by the events of 7. There isn't solid enough confirmation that Sue is Rath's daughter (We would need to know if Rath was an only child to be sure. She could be his neice after all). At the risk of ruining fans' FE7 ships for Eliwood and Hector, I would hope they write something concrete so that I don't have to replay all of 7 to slightly alter my 6 playthrough.

Edited by Gustavos

I think that it wouldn't work - they'd likely wind up cutting chapters. And there's the part where next to nothing in FE7 has anything to do with FE6.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'm not completely for it either considering they're games that tell different stories with very minimal overlap.  Although, they could probably explain what happened to the parents better.  But overall, I'll have to agree with almost everyone that IS is very unlikely to do it 'cause money.

Honestly, I would rather they be separate games. The two don't interconnect enough to justify a Book 1/2 scenario like Mystery, half of which is a direct sequel to the original Shadow Dragon, nor do they have enough direct connections to justify a two-in-one deal like Genealogy, which had the 2nd Gen directly deal with the ramifications of what happened in the 1st Gen.

They're barely connected in the first place, which I think is the beauty of the two games and their separate nature. 6 and 7 are both really great FE entries, and we get to spend extra time in Elibe, which is a fascinating world, while not feeling the baggage of "well I need to play both games to get the full story." You don't. They both tell different stories, that are complete in their own right. The fact that the "sequel" (6) was made first, without any plans at the time for the "prequel," just makes it more clear that they really should not be packaged together in any interconnected way. And, like some have said, it's extremely likely that IS would butcher things to make it work if they decided to go that route. And, as others have said, IS cares about the money (who doesn't?), so it would be crazy for them to take two complete FE titles and remake them as a single game. 

In short, I hope they don't combine the two in a remake, and I also think it would be terrible if they did. The two are built as separate, complete games. Let them stay that way. 

I think it would be fine if both games got more connected. Inheritance is bad idea, but it would be neat if story changed slightly accommodating parings used in 7 at least and maybe put some small cameos here and there in both games.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-05-27 at 3:21 PM, Dr. Tarrasque said:

It would be great and better value for the consumer so they wouldn't do it.

tbh I'm not sure why anyone thinks that IS owes them a 60-chapter FE6-7 for the price of a single game. Of course it's better value for the consumer. And if my grocery store starts selling milk for 10 cents a litre that would also be great value for me as a consumer. Neither's gonna happen because it's clearly below the market price for the product being sold.

Anyway given that FE11 and FE12 were separate games I'm sure FE6 and FE7 would be too, although some kind of data import a la Tellius could be possible? Maybe? I wasn't really a fan of that mechanic in Tellius so I'm not sure I'll care either way.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fine with either direction. Elibe is one of my favorite continents in FE and a joint format could lead to some cool story details. But as other people pointed out, the beauty of the two games is that you can play them separately and not loose any details, they both tell their own story. I'm pretty indifferent to either option (I just want FE6 to get remade and come out here.).

Edited by Chconroy

On 5/30/2017 at 8:36 AM, Tenzen12 said:

I think it would be fine if both games got more connected. Inheritance is bad idea, but it would be neat if story changed slightly accommodating parings used in 7 at least and maybe put some small cameos here and there in both games.

In relation to this, I would like it if, for example, there was a conversation between Roy and Lilina that took place when the player has reached Ilia/Sacae. (I think after Roartz is defeated.) With the conversation in question differing in each route. Possibly having Roy and Lilina reminisce about their families in both, and maybe their lives before and after first meeting each other as well. (With the Roy/Lilina Ilia conversation focusing slightly more on Roy, and the Roy/Lilina Sacae conversation focusing slightly more on Lilina.)

Edited by Just call me AL

• 6 months later...
On 27/5/2017 at 2:16 PM, Glennstavos said:

I think the biggest challenge with this format is deciding if pairings should be a thing. At the end of the day, it only matters who gets with Eliwood and Hector. I don't especially care who spawned Wolt. Hawkeye and Canas already had their kids by the events of 7. There isn't solid enough confirmation that Sue is Rath's daughter (We would need to know if Rath was an only child to be sure. She could be his neice after all). At the risk of ruining fans' FE7 ships for Eliwood and Hector, I would hope they write something concrete so that I don't have to replay all of 7 to slightly alter my 6 playthrough.

Are you kidding me? It is stated quite clearly that Rath is the "Silver Wolf's" son by Guy, and Sue is Dayan's grandaughter.

Edited by L9999

IMO, I'd live with this just fine, probably my preference to get both out of the way together.

The main things I'd actually want is the two being brought closer together in design and calculations, as while BS has the better calculations for formulas, BB has (mostly) better map design that makes you think out your strats more than BS did. Supports affecting BB would be nice, but I'm not going to be too mad if they're not in this hypothetical game.

8 hours ago, L9999 said:

Are you kidding me? It is stated quite clearly that Rath is the "Silver Wolf's" son by Guy, and Sue is Dayan's grandaughter.

Which means that Rath must be either Sue's father or her uncle. We don't have enough information to eliminate the possibility that he might be her uncle (e.g. clear evidence that he didn't have any siblings), do we?

Edited by Paper Jam

I'd be fine with it. I actually liked that format that FE3 used. I liked how if one wanted they could start with book 1 before proceeding to book 2. At the same time if they wanted they could skip book 1 entirely and jump straight into book 2. I think something of this sort would work nicely, especially if characters like Lyn, perhaps Captain Fargus and Dart either had some appearances in FE6 or they have a son/daughter who shows up.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:19 AM, Paper Jam said:

Which means that Rath must be either Sue's father or her uncle. We don't have enough information to eliminate the possibility that he might be her uncle (e.g. clear evidence that he didn't have any siblings), do we?

....how stupid are you people?

I Sure would like to Continue the discussion of the topic of this thread, wouldn't you? 

On 06/02/2018 at 1:19 PM, Paper Jam said:
On 06/02/2018 at 5:06 AM, L9999 said:

....how stupid are you people?

He isn't stupid. Their isn't canon evidence to prove either theory, so it would make no sense to assume that rath is the father of sue, or that he isn't. However, Raths fe7 ending when paired with lyn, implies sues heritage to rath and lyn greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would like if they did this, particularly if they did it on the switch (where they might be able to get away with charging more money for it). I understand why it probably won't happen, but at the least what they could do is a Fates-like release, by releasing FE7 Echoes first (Like Conquest and Birthright), then, as DLC (Revelations-style),  FE6 Echoes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm against it. Unlike Book 1 and 2 of Mystery, Binding Blade and Blazing Sword have a twenty-year gap between them that renders them ultimately pretty irrelevant to each other. They share a general world and a handful of characters, but not much else, and I'd rather neither game suffer the abridging and cast reduction they had to do to get the Book 1/3 format work. The most I would like to see is some sort of save bonus feature where the children in 6 Echoes get growth modifiers or special items depending on who their parent was in 7 Echoes.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a Binding Blade remake having more playable 7 characters and call backs to 7.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:19 AM, Paper Jam said:

Rath's ending with Lyn says he has a daughter with her, similarly to Nino's paired endings being the ones that establish that she's Lugh's and Raigh's mother, and much like the other parents of Binding Blade children who haven't been born yet Rath retreats instead of dying. There is zero reason to assume that Rath is not Sue's father.

• 4 months later...

I would be fine if they do it or not. I personally think that they won't do it because money. However, I would be perfectly fine if one of them get DLC that explains what happens to some of characters in that 20 year gap between games. Heck, they could do the memory prisms instead if that would work better. I just feel like if there is going to be some kind of connection between the two games something needs to be explained. A lot can happen in twenty years.