Thracia 776 Complete Menu Translation, VWF, Double RNG

ChimeraHardline

On 6/3/2017 at 0:53 PM, Finalinsanity said:

I'm having a weird bug where when Karin (mounted) tries to Rescue someone without a weapon, the game does... weird things. It'll lock up if she actually does Rescue them, and if she backs out of it, the game will lock up when I try to move someone without first looking at the status screen. I can play around it, but it's pretty unfortunate.

Yeah, I too am having some trouble with this. 

Video for reference:

It's possible to work around, but it is pretty annoying :/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/1/2017 at 0:27 AM, Kysafen said:

Not sure whether to continue this or not, but why not?

Edit: Did a no commentary version: 

hahaha, nice video & commentary, man! 

the patch made by ChimeraHardline is awesome

I like how clean the menu has become, way easier to read/understand :) 

the menu patch works only for (V.ROM) version of FE V or (NP) version? 

I have both (V.ROM/NP) ,

so if one works the other might not. 

also, like what others have said before in this topic, 

A menu + English translation patch combo into a single .ips/ups file would be awesome (Tho I'm not 100% sure if or how this can be achieved?) 

also, I've seen some .ips patch that allow you to patch the game with translation patch and then apply a second mini patch on top of the translation patch and it works? 

can this be done with the menu patch? 

I.E: 

if you let's say 

a) apply the English translation patch (Shaya) to a clean FE V game (Vrom/NP),

b) apply the menu patch from this topic to the game that has the English translation patch. 

is there also a fe program that. can be used to edit or such fe v? or the patches? 

Edited by IkeBoyDude

2 hours ago, IkeBoyDude said:

A menu + English translation patch combo into a single .ips/ups file would be awesome (Tho I'm not 100% sure if or how this can be achieved?) 

also, I've seen some .ips patch that allow you to patch the game with translation patch and then apply a second mini patch on top of the translation patch and it works? 

I.E: 

if you let's say 

b) apply the menu patch from this topic to the game that has the English translation patch. 

is there also a fe program that. can be used to edit or such fe v? or the patches? 

Thanks. :P Not sure if I should add commentary for my other 776 vids...

Apparently binkers87 has expressed interest in merging the two patches together. Won't hold my breath until there are more developments, though.

Edited by Kysafen

Sorry I've been away this past week, I just moved and started a big new job so I've been really busy during the transition. Glad to see that people have been enjoying it, and those videos too!

On 6/3/2017 at 3:49 AM, Severn said:

Is it possible to get this patch to work with the translation patch? Or can I only use one patch?

Unfortunately no, but I'm working on getting the script into my patch.

On 6/3/2017 at 10:53 AM, Finalinsanity said:

I'm having a weird bug where when Karin (mounted) tries to Rescue someone without a weapon, the game does... weird things. It'll lock up if she actually does Rescue them, and if she backs out of it, the game will lock up when I try to move someone without first looking at the status screen. I can play around it, but it's pretty unfortunate.

Hmm, I tried to replicate that and it worked fine for me. Are there any other changes to your ROM that might be causing it? See if it goes away if you rebuild from a clean ROM and/or use a different emulator, but let me know if it persists or is emulator-specific. I'll want to fix it if my patch is causing it, so thanks for letting me know.

I look forward to your project! It definitely is looking to be just like that clean UI version of the patch on FE4. It would give me the incentive I need to play Thracia 776 for sure, once you've finished placing the translated script as well.

Edited by Lyrai

Looks like I somehow missed the first couple posts on page 2 when I last checked in. Given that two people are actually having the bug with Karin, that's something I'll look into more seriously when I have the time.

On 6/9/2017 at 8:37 AM, IkeBoyDude said:

Not that I know of, but maybe you'll find something I missed if you search hard enough. This was all done using my own programming and some general SNES hacking tools, so unfortunately I didn't create any standalone tools along the way.

On 6/13/2017 at 1:08 PM, GearKaze said:

I have a problem everytime I want to start a Savefile the Game freeze,I patched an unheadered Rom of Thracia 776 (NP Rom) so can someone help?

The patch is actually for the cartridge ROM, even though it has the title screen of the NP ROM. That's just me being careless while in a hurry to throw together the patch files and release.

2 hours ago, ChimeraHardline said:

The patch is actually for the cartridge ROM, even though it has the title screen of the NP ROM. That's just me being careless while in a hurry to throw together the patch files and release.

I've tried to patch the (Rom) Rom but the game doesn't even start up

12 hours ago, GearKaze said:

I've tried to patch the (Rom) Rom but the game doesn't even start up

Your ROM has a header. Remove it with SNEStuff.

Edited by Elfire

On 16.6.2017 at 10:18 AM, Elfire said:

Your ROM has a header. Remove it with SNEStuff.

The ROM doesn't have a Header it said "Header added successfully" the first time and after i removed the header and started the ROM still Black Screen

Edit: I fixed the Problem I've found a functional unpatched ROM on my PC thanks for the help 

Edited by GearKaze

i'm also having the bug where the game freezes when Karin rescues someone. I'm on chapter 7 and it freezes every time i try to rescue Saphy with her. This would line up with what others are saying about rescuing someone unarmed. 

Edited by Severn

On 6/29/2017 at 10:22 AM, 12fretsjourneyman said:

Oooh nicely done.  Has anyone else beside myself done a playthrough with the 30 stat cap instead of 20?  It'd be a nice addition to the patch (but then again I haven't played 5 enough to see how it changes characters balance and all.

Keep in mind that the enemy statcaps at 20 in vanilla, too. Unless the enemies have stats past 30 as well, having player caps of 30 breaks the game easier than Shadow Dragon Normal by the endgame.

I think I've figured out what's going on with the Karin rescue bug -- on the rescue window the game sends a zero value as the equipped weapon text pointer to indicate not to draw anything, and apparently this is the only place in the game where it does that since my code doesn't account for it. (Normally it gives a pointer to whitespace characters.) So that causes a cascade of weird behavior, although in my game (using bsnes-plus) nothing actually goes wrong except for the window's appearance.

Hopefully this is the root of everyone's problems. You might want to try a different emulator until I get a fix out.

On Friday, June 09, 2017 at 5:37 PM, IkeBoyDude said:

the patch made by ChimeraHardline is awesome

I like how clean the menu has become, way easier to read/understand :) 

the menu patch works only for (V.ROM) version of FE V or (NP) version? 

I have both (V.ROM/NP) ,

so if one works the other might not. 

also, like what others have said before in this topic, 

I.E: 

if you let's say 

I think it can, but it requires SNEStuff, I will not give the instructions in this post without the permission of ChimeraHardline  (I have not tried it, but I think it can theoretically work)

On 7/7/2017 at 4:30 AM, Raymerald said:

I think it can, but it requires SNEStuff, I will not give the instructions in this post without the permission of ChimeraHardline  (I have not tried it, but I think it can theoretically work)

Feel free!

I uploaded a new version of the patch that should hopefully fix the rescue bug. Let me know if you still have problems.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have encountered problems patching the game with this patch. I have tried both a headered and unheadered rom. What is interesting about that is due to the rom being loaded into ram when the game starts is the fact that you can just remove the header. Lets just say, this this is not what i expected. Anybody got any ideas at what is wrong. I used the rom version btw. the 2000 release.

glitch.png

Edited by nnadnerd

I too am having issues getting this to work. At first I had the same problem listed on page 1, with gibberish text - same issue I had with the "Menu Translation" patch - likely caused by having an NP rom. Well I tried a different one, applied the patch via Lunar IPS (If there's a different way i should be patching things let me know), and got this error message when trying to start up, then black screen. Nothing.
Using Snes9X.

Above: The error message I get (after patching)

Below: Picture of the rom title screen I'm using (before patching)

EDIT: Tried using a different rom, a 1999 version of the game. Started up and looked fine, but crashed as soon as I got control in chapter 1.

Get this error.png

using this rom.png

Edited by MythrilZenith

So will this eventually be English patched? And if so, do you think that you will be able to do it before Project Naga?

On 5/28/2017 at 11:31 AM, L9999 said:

You sir are are a great person. I'm not too fond of introducing new RNG because the charm of Thracia 776 is having no consistency but I respect your reasons. I'll play it ASAP.

EDIT: Is Elite mode in automatic or am I playing too fast? Leif gained like 34 exp from a common soldier.

Can I ask what rom version did you use? Cuz I can't get the patch to work.......

2 hours ago, joker1995 said:

Can I ask what rom version did you use? Cuz I can't get the patch to work.......

Its not the ROM, its the emulator what makes the patch work. IIRC there is a read me that explains it or the first post of the thread.

Edited by L9999

On 7/25/2017 at 8:47 AM, nnadnerd said:

So, I have encountered problems patching the game with this patch. I have tried both a headered and unheadered rom. What is interesting about that is due to the rom being loaded into ram when the game starts is the fact that you can just remove the header. Lets just say, this this is not what i expected. Anybody got any ideas at what is wrong. I used the rom version btw. the 2000 release.

On 7/27/2017 at 2:58 PM, MythrilZenith said:

I too am having issues getting this to work. At first I had the same problem listed on page 1, with gibberish text - same issue I had with the "Menu Translation" patch - likely caused by having an NP rom.

On 7/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, L9999 said:

Its not the ROM, its the emulator what makes the patch work. IIRC there is a read me that explains it or the first post of the thread.

If you're getting garbled pixels where the new graphics should be (text, Engish title screen), then it's probably a memory mapping problem with the emulator. Meaning, it's failing to access the expanded ROM space where the new data is, and instead loading garbage from somewhere else in the ROM. If you have Snes9x make sure you're using the latest version, or you can also use the ZSNES 8MB custom build, or use bsnes with the memory map XML file as described in the readme. This issue will often make the game fail to start up at all, as well.

On 7/27/2017 at 11:30 PM, Gus said:

So will this eventually be English patched? And if so, do you think that you will be able to do it before Project Naga?

Eventually, but I no longer have the time to work on it consistently, so unfortunately I don't have a good sense of how long it will take.