FESwitch to be "completely different, breathing life into characters like never before"

http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-allow-for-a-completely-different-fire-emblem-will-breathe-life-into-characters-like-never-before/

A French site (Jeuxvideo) interviewed Higuchi, Yamagami, and Nakanashi recently to coincide with SoV's release. The topic drifted to why the series didn't appear on Wii U, and along with a non-answer we got this:

Q: Do you see Fire Emblem as a handheld series first and foremost? The latest home console release was Radiant Dawn ten years ago; and though a new Fire Emblem is coming to Nintendo Switch next year, a lot of players had their hopes up for a Wii U installment. Do you think the Wii U wasn’t suited for a series like Fire Emblem, or were there other reasons to focus on the 3DS?

Yamagami: The Fire Emblem series has a long history of home console games. While we were developing this title on a handheld console, we felt like we were reaching the apex of our work on Nintendo 3DS. Looking back, we don’t believe the series is a handheld one above all else. In the future, we hope to have more opportunities to create home console games.

Nakanishi: As it was said earlier, we’re currently working on a Fire Emblem game on Nintendo Switch. With this title designed for home consoles, we should be able to offer a completely different Fire Emblem, breathing life into our characters like never before.

Two things need to be said:
Firstly, due to the internal and external controversy over skniship, it almost certainly doesn't mean anything like that is coming again.
And secondly, "completely different" is likely them just hyping themselves up-- I'd be shocked if they didn't keep most of the gameplay stuff from Fates and kept iterating upon it.

That said, it could be describing higher-detailed models, along with much more voice acting and some personalized animations. You can't make much out of it, but it's something.

Credit for me finding this goes to the neogaf thread on it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381557

This sounds like any other in-development commentary, I must say. Sometimes they manage to deliver on their promises, like how Aonuma promised Breath of the Wild would be the biggest Zelda game yet and challenge the series' traditions, but a comment like in the interview above could've been said about practically any game - hell, this might as well have been pre Fates talk, said with the cheek touching nonsense in mind.

Yay! I'm glad IS isn't doing what some fans said they were and keeping FE all or mostly on handhelds. I still think Tellius is the best and they were on home consoles, so yeah. And what they say about being able to "breathe life into characters like never before" and all is pretty much what I've been saying about the potential for a Switch FE. The Switch is more powerful than the 3DS and can do a lot more, so there's potential for a bigger and deeper story and characters.

HYPE. :D

GIVE US E3 TRAILER IS!

Edited by Anacybele

9 minutes ago, Thane said:

This sounds like any other in-development commentary, I must say. Sometimes they manage to deliver on their promises, like how Aonuma promised Breath of the Wild would be the biggest Zelda game yet and challenge the series' traditions, but a comment like in the interview above could've been said about practically any game - hell, this might as well have been pre Fates talk, said with the cheek touching nonsense in mind.

Yeah, it's pretty vague. But it's something, which is more than we've heard about the title since its announcement.

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Yeah, it's pretty vague. But it's something, which is more than we've heard about the title since its announcement.

Sure, but all I read here is run-of-the-mill corporate jargon. "Breathing life into characters", until proven otherwise, might as well just mean "make them hotter with improved hardware".

Of course, I'm glad to hear from the game and developers, of course. Hopefully things are going smoothly.

All I know is this if they deviate from typical FE gameplay in a major way, like turning it into an RTS or something, then that will be a huge mistake. I highly doubt that is the case, but I always hate seeing "completely different" in regards to a new title in a loved game series. There is a reason it is loved, dont try and fix what isnt broken. Always worries me a bit. FFVII's remake already pissed me off changing a battle system that had nothing wrong with it.

But its likely more in regards to the fact that they are on a larger system now, so things like better character models, better animation, especially in regards to faces on the models, and maybe things like branching dialogue choices are likely what they are referring to. I hope.

Fire emblem has re-proven itself with echoes' writing and presentation. If they stick to the good parts of fire emblem echoes' qualities then consider me 9001% hyped over this game. If they'd make a tellius 3, possible a prequel focusing on greil, instant GOTY right there for me!! Probably not since they said it'd be "completely different" BUT they could just mean completely different...from awakening and fates...maybe? Idk i just want tellius 3.

35 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

Fire emblem has re-proven itself with echoes' writing and presentation. If they stick to the good parts of fire emblem echoes' qualities then consider me 9001% hyped over this game. If they'd make a tellius 3, possible a prequel focusing on greil, instant GOTY right there for me!! Probably not since they said it'd be "completely different" BUT they could just mean completely different...from awakening and fates...maybe? Idk i just want tellius 3.

Presentation? Yes.
Writing? Not really. It's better than Awakening and Fates, but besides a generally strong opening the story and characters have plenty of issues to go around. People need to be more critical of it and not be so blinded by it not sucking as badly as the immediately previous installments.

58 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

All I know is this if they deviate from typical FE gameplay in a major way, like turning it into an RTS or something, then that will be a huge mistake. I highly doubt that is the case, but I always hate seeing "completely different" in regards to a new title in a loved game series. There is a reason it is loved, dont try and fix what isnt broken. Always worries me a bit. FFVII's remake already pissed me off changing a battle system that had nothing wrong with it.

But its likely more in regards to the fact that they are on a larger system now, so things like better character models, better animation, especially in regards to faces on the models, and maybe things like branching dialogue choices are likely what they are referring to. I hope.

If they went for a classic Valkyria Chronicles style and got rid of the grid-based system, I wouldn't be against it.
And as someone who's tried to get into Final Fantasy in the past, the ATB system was neat for the time-- but is pretty clunky now. Heck, the guy who created it believed that real time RPG combat was the future and that the ATB system was the next step in that direction.

13 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yay! I'm glad IS isn't doing what some fans said they were and keeping FE all or mostly on handhelds.

I know you want a home console FE game but really...you are almost trying to say like the handheld games are terrible here. Remember that Blazing Blade was the first game that we got in the west that pushed FE games to the western market.

As for FE having a long history in consoles.....

FE1: NES

FE2: NES

FE3: SNES

FE4: SNES

FE5: SNES

FE9: GCN

FE10: Wii

Only seven main games are on consoles...and if you count TMS(ugh...) that makes it eight....oh and that SNES satellite one so that makes it nine but compared to other Nintendo IPs, this isn't exactly a long history of home consoles compared to Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby etc but i digress. The rest are all on Handheld.

Also keep in mind that the Switch is technically a handheld as well so the way its mentioned as a home console is really odd since its a game that is designed for portability as well.

Edited by Harvey

To start Only Half is a rather odd statement to me even being relative to other products and half is being somewhat generous as around a freaking 3rd of the handhelds are remakes of console games. And then there's numbers not always being the best way to look at things or how true your assertions involving those other IPs are. 

2 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

I completely agree!!! The writing, characters and presentation brought my hope back (yes its from an already established story of the original with more of a bigger punch) so I hope it maintains momentum but I hope FE16 won't be vastly different but still maintaining familiarity and adding uniqueness makes me excited for a potential teaser at E3!

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I think they're probably gonna do more third-person, world-immersion type things like they did with SoV, which may be what they're talking about.

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

I know you want a home console FE game but really...you are almost trying to say like the handheld games are terrible here.

Uh...? Where do you find that in my words at all? Never did I ever say or imply that the handheld games are bad. I do think FE7, Shadow Dragon, and Awakening are kind of bad, but I don't think they're TERRIBLE. I just think the Tellius saga, the international home console games, are BETTER. That is not the same as saying the other games are bad. Way to twist my words.

Edited by Anacybele

Those remarks honestly don't do much for me.  I'll only be convinced that things will be new if they actually show that things will be different, instead of just telling me.  It's typical for devs, no matter how much integrity they may have, to say that they'll be doing new things when they're just working out the rough drafts.  And they might not be wrong at the time of saying such things, but if that's the case they might just remove those "changes" because they make the game too different.

Honestly, I'm banking on them revealing a bit more at either E3 or more likely TGS, so I'm gonna hold off on presumptions until then.  The most I'll expect is just the best of each FE era.  So the gameplay and map design of Fates, the parenthood/marriage mechanics of either Genealogy or Awakening (or just an absence of them, though that's doubtful), the presentation of Echoes, and the story quality of... well, I guess either Magvel or Tellius.  And even that might be a stretch because that sort of stuff can't really be quantified.  Though I'll obviously also expect better graphics.  Maybe even more... animated dialogue.

5 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

the story quality of... well, I guess either Magvel or Tellius.

No.

Edited by Slumber

Sounds like PR talk to me. A lot of devs say these things before anything has been revealed to drum up hype for their new games. For the sake of conversation though I'm going to assume they are talking about the way the characters are presented. I doubt the game will be fully voice acted if the cast is like Fates. Voice acting is expensive and if every character is able to support each other with a cast that huge it would become a bit too much I think. I do believe all the story related scenes will be voice acted as well as base conversations if they come back (hopefully they do). The cutscenes are going to be amazing with some animated ones mixed in with better in-game engine cutscenes then what we had on the 3DS. I doubt there are going to be anymore of the still images with characters talking. Maybe the characters will move while they talk as well instead of just staying static and then switching poses. Something funny about Echoes I've noticed is that if there are two characters on screen and something bad happened the one not currently talking will appear smiling until they say something and it switched to their sad/serious pose.

They will probably show something at E3 if the game is going to come out early 2018, if not we might not get anything until much later in the year.

You know, if you'll bear with me for a moment, I actually had a realisation a while back that you could equate each Advance Wars game with an era of Fire Emblem.

I hope to the goddess that this doesn't mean we're due for the 'Days of Ruin' era. If Fire Emblem can even manage that.

I wonder if they keep voice acting though since I think you would run into problems if you had voice acting and an avatar since nobody will ever mention your name...

I loved the voice acting in Echoes and "breathing new life into characters" (if it is more than PR talk) sounds like they should keep voice acting? Though then the Avatar becomes problematic and I sadly think they would keep the avatar over voice acting. It opened up a completly new fan base of "super" casuals who do not even primarily play the game for the strategy aspect. (People like the girl who did the IGN review of FE Echoes come into mind...)

They could give the Avatar a fixed name and I think at least most people would be fine with it as long as they keep their waifus. Apparently we have to live with the fact that that's a thing and I don't mind it but I think Fates took it a step too far :mellow:

1 hour ago, MPhoenix said:

I wonder if they keep voice acting though since I think you would run into problems if you had voice acting and an avatar since nobody will ever mention your name...

I loved the voice acting in Echoes and "breathing new life into characters" (if it is more than PR talk) sounds like they should keep voice acting? Though then the Avatar becomes problematic and I sadly think they would keep the avatar over voice acting. It opened up a completly new fan base of "super" casuals who do not even primarily play the game for the strategy aspect. (People like the girl who did the IGN review of FE Echoes come into mind...)

They could give the Avatar a fixed name and I think at least most people would be fine with it as long as they keep their waifus. Apparently we have to live with the fact that that's a thing and I don't mind it but I think Fates took it a step too far :mellow:

Giving the Avatar a fixed name seems the perfect compromise between having an Avatar and full, realistic Voice Acting*.

Since I don't use IGN anymore, what did the reviewer say? I'll get my facepalm ready...

* If anyone's played Grand Kingdom, it had a neat compromise too: while the subtitles would include your character name the spoken dialogue would be slightly different to avoid saying it, e.g.

Text: "Your squad did a great job, X!"

Dialogue: "Your squad did a great job!"

But I can see that not holding up in dialogue heavy games such as this.

Edited by DefyingFates

44 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Giving the Avatar a fixed name seems the perfect compromise between having an Avatar and full, realistic Voice Acting*.

Since I don't use IGN anymore, what did the reviewer say? I'll get my facepalm ready...

* If anyone's played Grand Kingdom, it had a neat compromise too: while the subtitles would include your character name the spoken dialogue would be slightly different to avoid saying it, e.g.

Text: "Your squad did a great job, X!"

Dialogue: "Your squad did a great job!"

But I can see that not holding up in dialogue heavy games such as this.

7.8 too much water (though that might actually be one of the complaints I have about the game)

She complained among other things about the fact she could not ship Celica and Saber because the game did not let her.

Honestly watch the review if you want a good laugh (or a good face palm) ;):

32 minutes ago, MPhoenix said:

7.8 too much water (though that might actually be one of the complaints I have about the game)

She complained among other things about the fact she could not ship Celica and Saber because the game did not let her.

Honestly watch the review if you want a good laugh (or a good face palm) ;):

Urgh, that sounds embarrassing (and part of the reason I refuse to watch or read anything from them anymore). Unless there's a mirror of the review somewhere?