FESwitch to be "completely different, breathing life into characters like never before"

19 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Urgh, that sounds embarrassing (and part of the reason I refuse to watch or read anything from them anymore). Unless there's a mirror of the review somewhere?

I guess you would not want to give them the ad revenue ;)

But I don't know I did watch it on their YouTube channel.

Back to topic I think the best idea would be to have a Avatar with a predetermined name. So people could still pretend they are him/her and ship themselves. As much as I don't want that to be in the next game I understand it sold a lot of copies so if that is the necessary burden to keep Fire Emblem alive so be it.

Edited by MPhoenix
Submitted early accidentally

The only technical nitpick I have about Avatars is that they can't properly appear in cutscenes. Hopefully with better hardware IS can make high quality in game cutscenes (as Sonic Forces will) or make the Avatar one of a few presets a la Prey.

As for Avatars themselves I think they can work as long as they have a good place in the story.

P.S. For what it's worth I think pairing the Avatar up with anyone you choose can work as long as IS don't go overboard and it doesn't affect or contradict the story in any way (e.g. if something causes your partner to strike out in the story, maybe add a bonus cutscene right after where they apologise for leaving you so suddenly).

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Giving the Avatar a fixed name seems the perfect compromise between having an Avatar and full, realistic Voice Acting*.

Since I don't use IGN anymore, what did the reviewer say? I'll get my facepalm ready...

* If anyone's played Grand Kingdom, it had a neat compromise too: while the subtitles would include your character name the spoken dialogue would be slightly different to avoid saying it, e.g.

Text: "Your squad did a great job, X!"

Dialogue: "Your squad did a great job!"

But I can see that not holding up in dialogue heavy games such as this.

Never played Grand Kingdom myself but Devil Survivor games on the 3DS did just that and are just as dialogue heavy as Fire Emblem, being anothet SRPG and having full voice acting. Whenever someone refers to the MC (whose name can be changed), characters refer to him as he, him, etc.

I hope they're seriously considering full voice acting for FE Switch. 100% of the best death quotes are now in Echoes, since you can hear the character's final words as they slip away. Est doesn't just sound really tired when she calls out to her sisters, she sounds like she's crying which the in-game graphics cannot convey. Heartbreaking. Or you can just play on casual mode and they'll say something really insignificant by comparison. It feels like the voice direction really took their time getting good takes for each line. Maybe even giving actors the freedom to word each line however they feel is most appropriate? I can't guess at how it turned out the way it did, but they did it right.

Welp, we've got this quote from a new interview:

You may also know that [a new Fire Emblem] is also going to be released on the Switch, and that it's going to be looking beautiful with great graphics...

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-interview

Considering FEW, I don't doubt it.

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Welp, we've got this quote from a new interview:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-interview

Considering FEW, I don't doubt it.

I can't say I like the graphics of Fire Emblem Warriors too much. Like I said in one of the threads on that board, the characters look like they're wrapped in plastic the way they shine.

7 minutes ago, Thane said:

I can't say I like the graphics of Fire Emblem Warriors too much. Like I said in one of the threads on that board, the characters look like they're wrapped in plastic the way they shine.

Eh, to each their own. It's clearly stylized, and as I noted back when we got the very first real gameplay the shading's reminiscent of the FMV cutscenes in Awakening/Fates. Obviously things will look slightly different on an in-house project on a different engine, but I think things are off to a good start.

Edited by The DanMan

Just now, The DanMan said:

Eh, to each their own. It's clearly stylized, and as I noted back when we got the very first real gameplay the shading's reminiscent of the FMV cutscenes in Awakening/Fates. Obviously things will like slightly different on a in-house project on a different engine, but I think things are off to a good start.

Well I won't say no to good-looking anime studs.

• 2 weeks later...