Ramadan, Fasting and Eid.

Flee Fleet!

Hey Ramadan started. For those who don't know it's the month (in the Islamic calendar) in which Muslims are to fast AKA to not drink or eat anything from Sehri (basically the morning breakfast which is just before the morning prayers, after which fasting begins), till Iftari (basically the evening meal and when fast is broken at the time of the call of the evening prayers).

Also, Eid-ul-Fitr comes right after the last day of fasting. 

Decided to make this topic to say good luck to all those who are going to fast this month, considering there would be intense heat in many places like Pakistan. 

Also, you could probably talk about other things or something of this month, like, what you do while fasting and e.t.c.

I had no idea you eat twice during Ramadan days. That's actually not too bad depending on where you live, but most Muslims live in very hot places (North Africa, Middle East, Central and Southern Asia), so it's probably quite difficult for them.

Is there anything you can't eat during this time? Like when Catholics have their lent, they can eat poultry and fish/seafood, but no red meat like beef or pork. You can't eat pork anyway though, but yeah.

Anyone who fasts for religion, more power to them. I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm diabetic for one, and plus I kinda have self control issues...I'd slip. A lot. I kinda have different religious views. I'm Christian but I don't like church, it's too cramped and boring. That's the Aspergers in me...I recognize the existence of God and I have proof prayer works but I don't see the need to sit in your best clothes for an hour and sing hymms etc. 

I wonder how this sort of thing would work if you're diabetic or have some other disease where you need to keep food in you? Would you be able to eat more often than everyone else? Anyone know?

2 hours ago, Cerberus87 said:

I had no idea you eat twice during Ramadan days

Yup. Fasting ends after Iftari and will start again after Sehri. So basically throughout the night we're allowed to eat.

2 hours ago, Cerberus87 said:

That's actually not too bad depending on where you live, but most Muslims live in very hot places (North Africa, Middle East, Central and Southern Asia), so it's probably quite difficult for them.

Iirc, in those places, the time period of fasting each day is also longer than places in, for example, the northern part of the Earth. So yeah, I assume it does get quite difficult.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Is there anything you can't eat during this time? Like when Catholics have their lent, they can eat poultry and fish/seafood, but no red meat like beef or pork. You can't eat pork anyway though, but yeah.

Besides for anything forbidden in everyday life for us (like pork), iirc, we can eat whatever we have during this time. But I assume most people tend to drink Zam Zam water and some dates (if they do have them) at the start of Iftari. At least that's how it is in my home.