How many Lords would you like? Genders? Their weapon types?

Title says it all. How many Lords would you like the new game to have (with or without an Avatar) and would you like multiple storylines to accommodate them? What genders would you like them to have and what weapons would you like them to use? I've seen people complain that nearly every Lord uses Swords a few times, so do you think any of the other types deserve some love (especially after Fates fleshed out the weapon triangle)?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two max, NO avatars period even though that's wishful thinking at this point.

Multiple storylines, you mean like FE8?  I would be down for that, but IS's handling of multiple storylines in Fates left a lot to be desired, so focus on making a single coherent narrative first.

Probably either two girls or a boy and a girl.

Truth be told I don't mind the amount of swords, but I'd like more magic lords and a bow lord outside TRS.

Three lords is about as much as we should get I think. I kinda want to have a flier Lord this time, and at least one Lance (Lance flier?). I don't really care about genders.

I actually kind of want a funky structure like Radiant Dawn again, but perhaps rebalanced so that availability etc. doesn't screw people over. I'd be okay if they made us play all available Lords at the same time like with Gaiden/Echoes.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

54 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Two max, NO avatars period even though that's wishful thinking at this point.

Multiple storylines, you mean like FE8?  I would be down for that, but IS's handling of multiple storylines in Fates left a lot to be desired, so focus on making a single coherent narrative first.

Probably either two girls or a boy and a girl.

Truth be told I don't mind the amount of swords, but I'd like more magic lords and a bow lord outside TRS.

Yeah, or like Gaiden/ Echoes so that you still get the full story.

I think there's a good compromise to be made between having an Avatar and fully fleshed out main character (though in my eyes that compromise risks how customisable the Avatar is), but I get why you're sick of it. I think it would be cool to have a female only lead(s) in a new FE because I can't remember that happening before (then again I've only played FE7, 8 and Echoes) and I don't mind swords either but another Axe, Lance or even Magic Lord would be a nice change of pace.

I like having multiple lords, I don't really care which way they implement storyline, perhaps a few introductory chapters for each, followed by a shared main campaign. If there are 3, they should cover the whole weapon triangle imo, if 2 then 1 sword and 1 other (lance/magic?). I'd rather have no avatar, but I wouldn't hate it if they added one. As for gender, I like having some variance, so a split seems best.

22 minutes ago, Augestein said:

Having multiple forced lords on non-dual scenarios is a bit of a chore. 

Do you mean how FE7 gives you both Hector and Eliwood (almost) at the same time even though Eliwood is the main character?

Just now, DefyingFates said:

Do you mean how FE7 gives you both Hector and Eliwood (almost) at the same time even though Eliwood is the main character?

Or Hector if you do Hector Mode, but yeah, essentially that. It's kinda silly to have multiple lords when they are together for most of the game, and then turn around and have moments where they are forced. 

One lord who is a woman, my one problem with FE is that if they have a female lord they always put in a male lord in the same game who steals the spotlight.  As to weapons I would love to see a knife wielding lord, since they have never had one.

17 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

One lord who is a woman, my one problem with FE is that if they have a female lord they always put in a male lord in the same game who steals the spotlight.  As to weapons I would love to see a knife wielding lord, since they have never had one.

I've noticed this too and...yeah :/:

At least Eirika stays prominent in FE8 if you pick her route over Ephraim's (though she doesn't exactly steal the spotlight either).

I'm all for new and different concepts for lords. But when it comes to more specific things the game itself is built into it for me, how the game handles classes, story, battles, ect changes what I'd think would work. There's also what makes a lord in the first place (class, gameover if they die, main characterness, having a cape?) and how that can be blurred. If they go big/long story with switching perspectives (RD like) who are the possible lords in that scenario, if a lord goes the way of Sigurd what quailfies that character as a lord, what if they take chapter 5x from SS and go further with it. Stuff like that. 

16 minutes ago, goodperson707 said:

what if they take chapter 5x from SS and go further with it

I know what you're referring to (the one-off level where you play as Ephraim), but what do you mean by that?

Yeah I didn't really elaborate on that cause it was a less formed thought/question than the others. But basically if a game had more of those and did more with it (while not turning into a different concept entirely) And how a hypothetical "lord" in those chapters would be considered. 

Edited by goodperson707

I'd like to see a ranged attacking lord (archer, mage, etc) that starts the game with a bunch of melee units (armor knights, cavs, jagen, pegasus) so they'll feel special from a strict gameplay perspective at least for the first few chapters. It also skirts that tired support conversation where lord's retainer asks them to please stay off the front lines, and lord says thanks but no thanks.

I also like the idea of a lord that's kind of incompetent in terms of stat bases, and only becomes good after a story event shapes them into being a hero. A story promotion with massive gains, maybe a boost in growths if they started off bad, and then they get their rapier weapon to help them get even more level ups. Roy and Eirika got close to this concept, but Roy promoted way too late, and Eirika never actually became a good unit without player interference through stat boosters.

Two lords. A girl and boy, preferably. Half-siblings or related in some manner, so they can fight over the throne. The player would be able to choose between either lord after being acquainted with their respective claim to the kingdom through a short paralouge section (which serves as the tutorial, similar to Fates), and siding with one lord provides characters, supports, items, perspectives and possibly maps not available or difficult to unlock in the other route.

The Boy Lord is an intellectual talented with politics, history and schmoozing. He'd be a good strategist but would be unfit for combat for whatever reason, such as a weak constitution or just being bad at fighting. He'd be more support-oriented or a long-range fighter. He maybe uses staves or magic and provides his units with valuable buffs through his presence - the troops would be rallied by their lord's bravery to fight by their side, essentially. ripped straight from Kingdom

The Girl Lord is a prodigy at martial pursuits. She has trouble standing her ground in the royal court, maybe because of her brusque, arrogant behavior. Whereas the Boy Lord is good at strategy, she excels in military tactics on the battlefield. She'd use either a lance or an axe - preferably a halberd - and would be able to debuff enemy units through her ferocity. Or, she could instead also buff her allies similar to the Boy Lord - her battle cry gives strength to her units and inflates their morale. also ripped straight from Kingdom

The two would be a stronger force together, but they would be too blind with animosity or a misunderstanding to see such. 

1 hour ago, saisymbolic said:

Two lords. A girl and boy, preferably. Half-siblings or related in some manner, so they can fight over the throne. The player would be able to choose between either lord after being acquainted with their respective claim to the kingdom through a short paralouge section (which serves as the tutorial, similar to Fates), and siding with one lord provides characters, supports, items, perspectives and possibly maps not available or difficult to unlock in the other route.

The Boy Lord is an intellectual talented with politics, history and schmoozing. He'd be a good strategist but would be unfit for combat for whatever reason, such as a weak constitution or just being bad at fighting. He'd be more support-oriented or a long-range fighter. He maybe uses staves or magic and provides his units with valuable buffs through his presence - the troops would be rallied by their lord's bravery to fight by their side, essentially. ripped straight from Kingdom

The Girl Lord is a prodigy at martial pursuits. She has trouble standing her ground in the royal court, maybe because of her brusque, arrogant behavior. Whereas the Boy Lord is good at strategy, she excels in military tactics on the battlefield. She'd use either a lance or an axe - preferably a halberd - and would be able to debuff enemy units through her ferocity. Or, she could instead also buff her allies similar to the Boy Lord - her battle cry gives strength to her units and inflates their morale. also ripped straight from Kingdom

The two would be a stronger force together, but they would be too blind with animosity or a misunderstanding to see such. 

Ooh, I love this idea.  Perhaps the main kingdom could be embroiled in a civil war and each Lord could be the leader of an opposing house.

Personally, a sole female Lord character would be cool just for a change of pace. I know we've had female leads but they've always had a male character or an Avatar accompanying them.  Most of my favorite FE characters tend to be girls and I think it'd be nice to have a cool female lead solo a game for once just to do it. 

On the other hand, I do like having multiple paths and storylines. I really like how Echoes lets you switch between protagonists. Something like that might be cool to do provided they have a story that supports multiple storylines. 

Edited by nhaer042

I propose one female lord whose only avatar-like quality is that you can customize her hairstyle and some accessories, but the majority of her design remains the same. Honestly, the thought alone of not having a boy lord with his boy-penis to make all the boys feel like they are represented (because girls don't play videogames, right? :^/ ) is probably enough to send most Japanese developers into conniptions, so other than that she could be the standard sword lord with a prf rapier and a sweet endgame prf dragonslayer weapon.

If we were to get really nuts, though, I would also love a dark mage lord, or an axe lord, who has amazing growths, but bases that would make all the LTC-obsessed efficiency freaks ignore them at first. Basically make a trainee lord who specializes in the traditionally hard-hitting, inaccurate weapon types, who could promote into something like the revenant knights from Fates. They could go one of two directions with such a character. If it's a mage, magic is generally considered a scholarly pursuit, and coming from a position of lordly privilege would afford our more cerebral, sheltered lord the time and money to study how best to govern a kingdom with reason and logic. If it's an axe-lord, I really didn't think about the story justification, I just really want more variety in my protagonists, and a non-armored infantry axe lord would be something fun and different. Not to mention they both make fine foundations from which to promote to a flying lord who rides a dragon (horses are boooring).

Third, I want a real shapeshifter lord. I want their power to be an actual relevant point to their story, and I want it to be good enough to be their main weapon type.

*pointed look in the direction of Fates*

Any of those possibilities would just make my day.

4 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Ooh, I love this idea.  Perhaps the main kingdom could be embroiled in a civil war and each Lord could be the leader of an opposing house.

Yeah, that would probably work better than forcing them into being half-siblings or whatever.

Or maybe the setting could be a coup d'eat to overthrow the current regime. The two lords stage two simultaneous but completely separate attacks on the current ruler. It would give room for a third faction (maybe the current ruler's forces) that could serve as the reasoning for the two lords to combine forces (because people are likely going to want to play as both at once or use certain characters/items/etc. locked to the other route).

That said, I would rather it be confined to the two main lords (only one playable at a time) in this hypothetical story, because I'm a glutton for punishment that doesn't want a golden ending that allows the two to be united together.

Edited by saisymbolic

I'd like the game to stick to one Lord and focus on their development alone rather than having to juggle several at once, allowing their development as the game goes forward to be the primary focus. A segmented story like Echoes can work, but even then the attention of the player as well is split between the two characters, potentially leading to some disconnect between the player and a single Lord.

I generally don't care about gender or weapon type, it's mostly about how they fit into the overall narrative and gameplay that matters. A bow-wielding Lord sounds terrible, but that's in the context of a game that isn't built around that unit. Same with a sword Lord that sounds good but then surprise, the game's full of units that beat sword units into a bloody pulp. And for me, gender is far less important than what the character is like and how they play into the story, especially when just saying you'd like a male or female Lord doesn't say anything about what you want the character to be like besides their gender.

I would like a Lord that has a firmly set development throughout the game. Bonus points if supports and choices of the player matter in how that development goes along, not just in the ending, but how the game progresses along the way.

I enjoyed the dynamic between the FE7 lords, so I'd like 2-3 lords, maybe girl/boy/boy.

I think a incest free sibling dynamic would be good to explore. Similar to what saisymbolic said, they would contrast each other.

The boy would use a tome, and a sword after promotion. He would be younger and the tactical-minded sibling. He would be colder and less confident in dealing with people.

The girl would use a sword or lance, and use a bow after promotion. She would be older, more overtly heroic sibling. Kind, brave and charismatic compared to her brother.

The possible third lord is flexible.

I think the lords should have a close bond but also have character development independent of each other.

2 at max 1 male, 1 female as it always should be as for weapons one obviously will be a sword using lord the other could be a new main FE bow lord or try another axe/lance lord again they could be related or from different royal families as usual that has great symmetry with each other.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Personally, I would like 2 to 3 separate lords with an avatar character accompanying only one of them. At least 1 Male lord and 1 Female lord with separate stories handled in a similar manner to Radiant Dawn or Gaiden / Echoes. A bit of a weird choice here, but I would like the male lord to use bows and the female lord to use lances, since these weapon types haven't really been used before for lords in their starting class. Since I want this game to have 3 tiers of units, I think that the male lord should get a fairly early, story related promotion allowing him to wield Swords and get a promotion later down the line that does something to improve his bow proficiency, like a skill that gives the bow 2-5 range. For the Female lord, I think she should get an early promotion that allows her to wield Bows and get a promotion later down the line that improves her proficiency in Lances. 

I think the Avater should be a long-time friend of the male lord rather than some new recruit who meets the main lord at the beginning of the game. Depending on the gender of the avatar, they can either be the lord's best friend or lover. The avatar should be the only unit in the game who starts out in the villager class and also go through a forced promotion to become one of the game's base classes, through the level doesn't reset for balancing purposes. The avatar should be able to support with every unit in the game like in Awakening and fates and the supports should changes based on gender like in those games. However, S-Rank supports should be unattainable. 

I'd like multiple lords with one being the generic sword lord, and the rest wielding something different. They should all be from different countries though, and there should be at least one of each gender for representation. Hopefully whoever designs the armor gets to do it like in Echoes instead of Fates. Seriously Mathilda looks amazing and like she would actually be threatening on the battlefield. Then there are Fates female armor designs...

6 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

I think the Avater should be a long-time friend of the male lord rather than some new recruit who meets the main lord at the beginning of the game.

This I like since it makes the main lord trusting the Avatar on everything (which is probably going to happen) make actual in game sense. It is easier to trust someone you have known a long time then some random schmo you met unconscious on a field.

6 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Depending on the gender of the avatar, they can either be the lord's best friend or lover. The avatar should be the only unit in the game who starts out in the villager class and also go through a forced promotion to become one of the game's base classes, through the level doesn't reset for balancing purposes. The avatar should be able to support with every unit in the game like in Awakening and fates and the supports should changes based on gender like in those games. However, S-Rank supports should be unattainable.

This I do not like at all. If they are going to make an Avatar they should not take away the choice of who they should marry, and especially not based on gender. If you are going to put a canon lover into the game for the main lord just make it another character that you can't S-rank with like Alm and Celica. If that game had an Avatar you wouldn't be able to S-rank with either of them for political reasons (combining Rigel and Zofia into one country). You shouldn't be able to S-rank Clive, Mathilda, Zeke, and Tatiana either because they are established couples. If they want to make that couple the "canon" couple like Corrin and Azura then they should just imply it is like how they did with those two and maybe give them a special cutscene at the end of the game if they marry like in Revelation. They should also make that lord bi so that it could truly be "canon" for both genders, and not just the one of the opposite sex from them (again Corrin and Azura). I highly doubt they would make the main lord bi though.

I also don't like being able to support with every unit after Fates but know they are probably going to include it so I've just resigned myself to it.

Edited by YingofDarkness