Introducing KageroChart, a Growing FEH Fansite

Winsomniak

Just now, Winsomniak said:

OS and Browser version? Tough to get things 100% consistent, I am only testing chrome and firefox on 2 devices.

After clearing my cache it now only overlaps sometimes. 

Browser: Chrome 58.0.3029.83

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far so good. I really like your match up idea. 

Some suggestions for you:

• I found the Match up chart to be rather difficult to read (at first). I did figure it out, but I think colorblind users are gonna suffer. I think if there were multiple ways to view the chart, it'd be better for everyone. The way @Clogon suggested would be awesome to see implemented as well..
  • Categorizing the Special Skills and Passive Skills List. I decided to try to find Sacred Cowl (out of random). I found it difficult to pick it out. 
  • Character Builds - Not necessary, but nice to have. I'd say if it were implemented, there'd be a lot of open discussion on builds. Not a huge priority.
  • Skill tier list - Also not necessary, but something that could be of use to newcomers to the game, or those trying to wrap their heads around skills.
  • Kagero should be the default unit in the match up chart, not Titania, for comedic reasons.
  • Maybe adding IV's to the match up chart could be useful. Would [hero] double [opponent hero] if [hero] was + or - Speed? What if [opponent hero] was +/- Speed?
  • Navigating could be streamlined further. One such example could be a drop down list or a filter when looking at character stat pages.

Aesthetics:

• I like the darker color scheme you choose. For someone who often has chronic migraines (such as myself), it doesn't make my eyes strain or make my head pound (much). 
  • The only thing I can think of to improve the visual aspect of the site is to add some celtic inspired tabs, or background. 

That's all I can really think of for now. If I think of anything else, I'll be back.

8 hours ago, Kiran said:

After clearing my cache it now only overlaps sometimes. 

Browser: Chrome 58.0.3029.83

Hopefully this will clear up on its own as I work on the design a bit in the future. No one else has reported this yet and I have not been able to reproduce it :(

2 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

So far so good. I really like your match up idea. 

Some suggestions for you:

• I found the Match up chart to be rather difficult to read (at first). I did figure it out, but I think colorblind users are gonna suffer. I think if there were multiple ways to view the chart, it'd be better for everyone. The way @Clogon suggested would be awesome to see implemented as well..
  • Categorizing the Special Skills and Passive Skills List. I decided to try to find Sacred Cowl (out of random). I found it difficult to pick it out. 
  • Character Builds - Not necessary, but nice to have. I'd say if it were implemented, there'd be a lot of open discussion on builds. Not a huge priority.
  • Skill tier list - Also not necessary, but something that could be of use to newcomers to the game, or those trying to wrap their heads around skills.
  • Kagero should be the default unit in the match up chart, not Titania, for comedic reasons.
  • Maybe adding IV's to the match up chart could be useful. Would [hero] double [opponent hero] if [hero] was + or - Speed? What if [opponent hero] was +/- Speed?
  • Navigating could be streamlined further. One such example could be a drop down list or a filter when looking at character stat pages.

Aesthetics:

• I like the darker color scheme you choose. For someone who often has chronic migraines (such as myself), it doesn't make my eyes strain or make my head pound (much). 
  • The only thing I can think of to improve the visual aspect of the site is to add some celtic inspired tabs, or background. 

That's all I can really think of for now. If I think of anything else, I'll be back.

While the matchup chart is maybe 50% of what I want it to be, do you find it useful while the combat simulator exists? I think most would say no and prefer the hard "who wins in a duel" information the simulator offers. I think having some aggregate info on there would really help it to be a useful "at a glance" link but I'm not sure people really care at this point. Haha

Re:colors - I prefer the darker colors for similar reasons, but apparently there are minor power consumption benefits as well. I may offer a dark/light theme switcher in the future, but that's super backlog.

2 hours ago, Winsomniak said:

While the matchup chart is maybe 50% of what I want it to be, do you find it useful while the combat simulator exists? I think most would say no and prefer the hard "who wins in a duel" information the simulator offers. I think having some aggregate info on there would really help it to be a useful "at a glance" link but I'm not sure people really care at this point. Haha

Re:colors - I prefer the darker colors for similar reasons, but apparently there are minor power consumption benefits as well. I may offer a dark/light theme switcher in the future, but that's super backlog.

Now that I really think about it... I guess one could view it as redundant... Though, I do see the value in it, since everyone interprets data differently. Having multiple ways to view the data would likely help people understand what they're viewing more easily. 

Re:Re:colors - Fair. That'd be interesting. Though, like I said, I think celtic influences in the tabs/background for visual would give the site a more in touch feel with the game. (A dark celtic theme would be amazing). 

On 5/31/2017 at 10:57 AM, Lushen said:

Instead of "Max Stats" you could do a "Stats Variation" and have something that looks like:
HP    :  5 / 6 / 7
ATK  :  1 / 2 / 3

With the default stat standing out significantly to people can easily tell their IVs.

This is implemented now, and no mention of IV anywhere on the page @Ice Dragon!

@Clogon I removed the coloring on meters for now since I wasn't happy with the outcome anyway. Better?

5 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

Now that I really think about it... I guess one could view it as redundant... Though, I do see the value in it, since everyone interprets data differently. Having multiple ways to view the data would likely help people understand what they're viewing more easily. 

Re:Re:colors - Fair. That'd be interesting. Though, like I said, I think celtic influences in the tabs/background for visual would give the site a more in touch feel with the game. (A dark celtic theme would be amazing). 

I'm not sure what you mean by celtic, like runes and such? I tend to find most game sites gaudy with heavy use of stylized borders/headings etc but maybe we are thinking of different things.

Edited by Winsomniak

I really  like the new damage calculator. It looks great so far.

I just have one problem: The damage calculator doesnt seem to take into account Bonus, Penalities and Spurs. At least when you adjust them with the up and downwards arrow. When you type them in with the keyboard and press enter it calculates them. 

Im using Google Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86 on Windows 10.

So the adjusting the Spurs with the arrrows is pretty useless right now, without a "Calculate new" button.

Does anyone else has this issue? I already tried clearing the cache with no effect.

4 hours ago, Nathair said:

I really  like the new damage calculator. It looks great so far.

I just have one problem: The damage calculator doesnt seem to take into account Bonus, Penalities and Spurs. At least when you adjust them with the up and downwards arrow. When you type them in with the keyboard and press enter it calculates them. 

Im using Google Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86 on Windows 10.

So the adjusting the Spurs with the arrrows is pretty useless right now, without a "Calculate new" button.

Does anyone else has this issue? I already tried clearing the cache with no effect.

This is a bug, and will be fixed when I replace the spinners with dropdowns. Thanks for reporting!

12 hours ago, Winsomniak said:

@Clogon I removed the coloring on meters for now since I wasn't happy with the outcome anyway. Better?

I like how clicking the stat brings you to a hero list that arranges them from highest to lowest of said stat. I do prefer to see the rest of the heroe's stats in this list too (with the one in question bolded) instead of the sigular stat+hero icon.

13 hours ago, Winsomniak said:

I'm not sure what you mean by celtic, like runes and such? I tend to find most game sites gaudy with heavy use of stylized borders/headings etc but maybe we are thinking of different things.

Stuff like this.

I mostly meant the borders of (clickable) tabs, so it isn't too gaudy. (I wouldn't steer you that way. I prefer subtle, yet tasteful web design myself.)

I touched up the hero index and hero pages if anyone wants to weigh in on my design decisions. I plan to use the open section of the hero pages in the center (on large screens) for some generated highlights such as "has the highest attack in the game" , "only flier with a ranged attack" or "4 star source of fury 3"

I also have an update ready for later this evening after I get off work that resizes and compresses all the images, so things should be much snappier once I get home and release it.

On 6/6/2017 at 3:03 PM, TheTuckingFypo said:

Stuff like this.

I mostly meant the borders of (clickable) tabs, so it isn't too gaudy. (I wouldn't steer you that way. I prefer subtle, yet tasteful web design myself.)

I will take this into consideration, but I'm going to focus on more functional aspects of the site for now so you may not see anything major change on this front for a while. Appreciate the suggestions! I would be interested in looking at a site that uses the techniques you have in mind, though. I can generally copy or adapt someone else's designs, but doing them from scratch is a challenge for this left-brain :).

On 6/6/2017 at 2:46 PM, Clogon said:

I like how clicking the stat brings you to a hero list that arranges them from highest to lowest of said stat. I do prefer to see the rest of the heroe's stats in this list too (with the one in question bolded) instead of the sigular stat+hero icon.

A lot of people have asked for something similar or better so I basically need to make this already.

Edit: Also added a small convenience, you can copy/paste markdown into reddit or forums that support it with a pre-formatted summary of hero stats/skills.

Edited by Winsomniak

First off, I do really like this site. It's a nice change of pace from viewing Wikis all the time. That in mind, got a few things I figure I'd note - basically just any time I've had to leave the site to get further information off the wiki that I feel could still be relevant to what this site is accomplishing, I've made mental note of it. Just suggestions, of course.

These things are:

What star rarity a character learns their skills. When clicking on Renewal for example, it shows the characters, but neither the Renewal page nor individual character pages show that only Fae can learn it at 4 star, and the others need to be 5. Maybe superimpose a star count over their pictures on the skill page to show rarities skills are learned?

Prerequisites/Follow-up skills. Knowing which skill you need to teach to learn Hone Fliers (for example) can be useful if you don't have the unit to inherit that yet, but want to get a character started on inheritance in the meantime. Same deal with knowing which skills one you already have learned are needed for. I.E. Frederick has New Moon, which allows both Luna and Moonbow. Putting a 'preceded/followed by x skill' would be a potentially simple QoL improvement and help navigate things more fluidly as well.

As a formatting suggestion, maybe move the Dagger units to be in line with the other two colorless weapons? This would put all 3 tomes on the same line when viewed 3 across as well, making everything -feel- more consistent. (Actually looking at it, it looks like the list is just set to sort the categories by most-least units.)

This last thing isn't necessarily a suggestion, just pointing out that to me at least, on Firefox, the Hero Matchup key doesn't seem to line up with its text. See spoiler for image of what I mean.

Spoiler

kn6xtIc.png

All in all though, great site! Keep up the good work :^_^:

Edited by Tarilaan

32 minutes ago, Tarilaan said:

First off, I do really like this site. It's a nice change of pace from viewing Wikis all the time. That in mind, got a few things I figure I'd note - basically just any time I've had to leave the site to get further information off the wiki that I feel could still be relevant to what this site is accomplishing, I've made mental note of it. Just suggestions, of course.

These things are:

What star rarity a character learns their skills. When clicking on Renewal for example, it shows the characters, but neither the Renewal page nor individual character pages show that only Fae can learn it at 4 star, and the others need to be 5. Maybe superimpose a star count over their pictures on the skill page to show rarities skills are learned?

Prerequisites/Follow-up skills. Knowing which skill you need to teach to learn Hone Fliers (for example) can be useful if you don't have the unit to inherit that yet, but want to get a character started on inheritance in the meantime. Same deal with knowing which skills one you already have learned are needed for. I.E. Frederick has New Moon, which allows both Luna and Moonbow. Putting a 'preceded/followed by x skill' would be a potentially simple QoL improvement and help navigate things more fluidly as well.

As a formatting suggestion, maybe move the Dagger units to be in line with the other two colorless weapons? This would put all 3 tomes on the same line when viewed 3 across as well, making everything -feel- more consistent. (Actually looking at it, it looks like the list is just set to sort the categories by most-least units.)

This last thing isn't necessarily a suggestion, just pointing out that to me at least, on Firefox, the Hero Matchup key doesn't seem to line up with its text. See spoiler for image of what I mean.

Reveal hidden contents

kn6xtIc.png

All in all though, great site! Keep up the good work :^_^:

Great suggestions. I plan to condense the skill pages down into "chains" soon and adding the unlock level will be part of that.

I'll check into that formatting bug too, probably introduced recently on accident.

Thanks!

The battle calculator is greatly helpful! I wish there could be a "four vs. all simulation", to show if we use four characters as a team, whether all enemies can be ORKOed by one of the characters.

This seems to be a complicated update, though. And I'm not sure if anyone else needs this function...:mellow:

21 hours ago, Rosetta said:

The battle calculator is greatly helpful! I wish there could be a "four vs. all simulation", to show if we use four characters as a team, whether all enemies can be ORKOed by one of the characters.

This seems to be a complicated update, though. And I'm not sure if anyone else needs this function...:mellow:

This is not going to happen as part of the current combat sim. The only way it will make it in is if I create a create a combat engine that is separated out from the simulator app. I am working on some social features that could go that direction if popular, but at this point it is looking unlikely. Sorry!

Thanks for the feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think Swift Sparrow is working properly on the calculator. I am testing B!Cordelia with SS and Desp.(26/36HP) against +Spd Cecilia, but in the calculator, B!Cordelia is not attacking Cecilia four times consecutively.

SS on the Legacy Version of the calculator works fine.

7 hours ago, XRay said:

I do not think Swift Sparrow is working properly on the calculator. I am testing B!Cordelia with SS and Desp.(26/36HP) against +Spd Cecilia, but in the calculator, B!Cordelia is not attacking Cecilia four times consecutively.

SS on the Legacy Version of the calculator works fine.

Both swift sparrow and desperation are working correctly in my tests, can you give me some steps to reproduce? See attached.

Screenshot from 2017-07-01 15-53-18.png

Edited by Winsomniak

30 minutes ago, Winsomniak said:

Both swift sparrow and desperation are working correctly in my tests, can you give me some steps to reproduce?

That is strange. It works fine now.

When I loaded up the calculator earlier today, I switched Abel to Cordelia and gave her Brave Bow+, +Atk, no bane, Brave Bow+, Life and Death, Desperation, Luna, and HP to 26/36. Then I changed Alfonse to Cecelia and gave her +Spd, no bane, Triangle Adept, Quick Riposte, and Moonbow. Then I opened up a few more character tabs, and gave Takumi, Jeorge, and Klein similar builds and I was changing everyone's natures back and forth between +Atk and +Spd.

When I switched back to Cordelia and changed Life and Death to Swift Sparrow, it did not work, and battle log just states that she got 4 attack, 4 speed, damage dealt, damage dealt, Cecilia counterattacks. Which is a little strange because Desperation should have made the log said damage dealt four times in row instead of just twice in row.

Might be a mistake on my end where I forgot to readjust her HP when I was switching her natures, but I was pretty sure I checked her HP to make sure it was 26/36.

I am trying to replicate what I did earlier right now, and if I see it again, I will take a screenshot of it. But so far, the calculator is working correctly.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am trying to replicate what I did earlier right now, and if I see it again, I will take a screenshot of it. But so far, the calculator is working correctly.

Thanks, I appreciate it! 

This is quite a nice site--thanks for all the hard work! I primarily use it for the battle simulator for awhile, which is quite nice, along with occasionally looking at things like who has the top Atk, etc. The battle simulator is really nice for helping decide which skills would be good on certain characters.

I do have a few suggestions though, as some of the other parts of the site are too cumbersome to use as alternatives to the Wiki and Gamepress sites. But a few minor changes would do wonders.

1. In particular, currently, the Weapons, Assists, Specials, and Passives indexes just lump everything together in alphabetical order. This format makes it unnecessarily difficult to find what you're looking for. The Passives page is especially bad. It would be MUCH better if the Passives page was organized into 3 columns, with the first column having only A passives, the second column B passives, and the third for C. Not only does this make the skills easy to find, it's also useful for people browsing skills. If I'm looking to add a C passive, I can look around in the C passive column.

The same is true for the other tabs (although they're much less important). With Weapons, they ought to be sorted by type (a list of swords, a list of lances, etc.); Assists can be sorted by their restrictions; and Specials can be sorted by type (AOE, in-battle offensive, defensive, and healer).

2. With respect to the pages for passive skills, the rarity at which the skill becomes available is not listed, so a critical piece of information is missing on those pages. This is one of the main things I want to know when I'm looking up skills, so it should be present on the skill page, not just on the character pages.

3. For the Battle Simulator, it would be nice to have something that applied class specific buffs all at once. So something where you could say Hone Cavalry and it would apply +6 to Atk and Spd in the buffs, or Ward Fliers x2 which would apply +8 to the spur of Def and Res.

4. From a layout perspective, the Heroes Index is a bit odd. There are three columns, and the top row consists of Sword, Lance, and Axe users. That's all good. But then the second row is Staff, Bow, and Blue tome? Why not keep it consistent? The second row should be: Red Tome, Blue Tome, Green Tome. The third row then has: Red Breath, Blue Breath, and Green Breath. And then the final row can have the colorless units. With that setup, all of the red units are in the left column, all blues are in the middle, and greens are on the right.

In terms of importance, I definitely think #1 & 2 are critical features, and, if implemented, would make your site a much nicer alternative to use than the Wiki or Gamepress sites when looking up stuff for skill inheritance (since yours doesn't have all the junky graphics and banners that fill up their pages). But, as it is right now, the Wiki and Gamepress pages are just way easier to use to find the relevant information.

I haven't done web development in awhile, but most of those things seem like they should be easy to implement. For #2, you could probably just replicate the structure you have on the skill page that lists the characters, but change it so that the top one says Has [skill] at 4*, and the bottom one Has [skill] at 5*. For #1, the most important one is the passives page.

Hey Astellius,

This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for (why you use other sites and not mine) so thank you! 

#1 is something I'll probably have done this weekend as one of my regulars in discord has been asking for it  for a couple weeks.

#2 is often requested and I am re-prioritizing it, thanks for reminding me

#3 I'll put this on the list, but I probably won't be making any serious changes to the battle simulator for the next couple months at least

#4 The hero index is just sorting by number of heroes in a given group. Do you personally prefer a tile based index like this, or a table like most other sites feature?  I have people in both camps giving feedback so I may need to just have a layout switcher in there at some point.

I agree with what Astellius said. #4 had been on my mind for a while as well, specifically the "arrange each column by color" thing. The tile based index is preferable since you can see most characters on one page. Only other thing I could suggest regarding that would be if there was a sorting feature, as sometimes it's nice to examine units by movement type as well as weapon.

Another feature I'd like to see, if possible, would be something to compare stats of units. The Hero Charts and other stat lists are nice but it would be useful to be able to select multiple units and see how each of them compares in that grouping. This is sort of in line with the Insights on the character pages, though I think ideally you could group any characters together, not just by color/weapon/movement/etc.

Thanks for all your hard work, I know how much time and energy these passion projects can take.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Another feature I'd like to see, if possible, would be something to compare stats of units. The Hero Charts and other stat lists are nice but it would be useful to be able to select multiple units and see how each of them compares in that grouping. This is sort of in line with the Insights on the character pages, though I think ideally you could group any characters together, not just by color/weapon/movement/etc.

Sounds like you want a more interactive set of visualizations with some fields that filter/update the display? I will put something like this together eventually, a few people have asked for it. This becomes more important as the amount of content grows, too.

Edit: This is what I am currently working on if you guys want to get in on this: https://community.gamedex.io/t/build-creator-wishlist/216

Really appreciate all the great feedback I am getting, thanks so much!

Edited by Winsomniak

9 minutes ago, Winsomniak said:

Sounds like you want a more interactive set of visualizations with some fields that filter/update the display? I will put something like this together eventually, a few people have asked for it. This becomes more important as the amount of content grows, too.

Yeah, I guess it's just a matter of seeing the information consolidated without having to go between multiple tabs or making your own spreadsheets. It becomes a bit harder to distinguish between characters easily, especially as they add new ones that adhere to a common stat archetype (ie: the "myrmidons"). A graph that shows statistics and showcases a selected character from the list would be a simple way of quickly conveying not just where they're ahead/behind others, but by how much. Here's a quick and crude mock-up of how it'd function on a barebones level, with the sword cavaliers as an example:

herocomparisonmockup.png.f741fedffa260d31ea70a498213d0adb.png

Of course, the real thing would look much better-- the calculator and other site features are well designed so I'm confident that whoever designs those things would do it justice. The core feature is really just being able to draw up a list of heroes and comparing their base stats, though, so the visual aids are just a bonus.