Introducing KageroChart, a Growing FEH Fansite

Winsomniak

Greetings!

Winsomniak here. I have been hard at work creating KageroChart, a database driven Fire Emblem Heroes fansite. VincentASM gave me permission to post here and am hoping to gather some feedback from the Serene's Forest community and make the site as useful as possible! Please check out the site and let me know what you think:

https://kagerochart.com

Current features include pretty much almost everything you might expect from the Curse Wiki plus the following:

• Generated insights, such as "Effie has the highest ATK potential in Fire Emblem Heroes"
  • Discussion on hero pages via Discourse integration
  • Markdown Formating for copy/pasting hero info into Reddit or forums that support markdown
  • Clean and Accessible Content Indexes
  • Fast, Mobile First Page Design
  • Extremely Accessible Navigation
  • Hero Matchup Pages

Additionally, KageroChart is now officially hosting and maintaining the popular combat simulator developed by rocketMo. I have converted it to a mobile friendly layout and added the newest heroes.

Coming Soon

- Build Creation and Sharing tools

- Better Integrated Social Features

Development Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/WWjsXBJR/gamedex-kagerochart-roadmap

Cheers,

-Winsomniak

Edited by Winsomniak
Added development roadmap.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Stat variants maybe? Neutrals are cool but almost non-existent. The wiki has its tables and stuff.

Great point, a handful of people have requested an IV calculator as well. That something you use? I mostly just lookup level 1 stats and mental math it myself.

Hm, I've used this site before, like a long while ago, I remember playing around with the combat simulator quite a bit. I didn't have any problems with it back then, it was pretty useful, and nice to see most things are still lined up in a convenient way, for me at least. I just couldn't remember the name to get back to it.

I was going to ask the same thing about the variant stats, but I sometimes use mental math as well. Of course, having the variance there adds that convenience factor.

Edited by Soledai

11 minutes ago, Soledai said:

Hm, I've used this site before, like a long while ago, I remember playing around with the combat simulator quite a bit. I didn't have any problems with it back then, it was pretty useful, and nice to see most things are still lined up in a convenient way, for me at least. I just couldn't remember the name to get back to it.

I was going to ask the same thing about the variant stats, but I sometimes use mental math as well. Of course, having the variance there adds that convenience factor.

A friend has convinced me that this is literally the only thing most people go online to look up. Definitely need to get this on there ASAP. Lol

seems useful! looks all smooth and pretty too. here's some stray thoughts

Spoiler

something i'd prefer for the skill/weapon/etc pages is having info about the skills on the page instead of links to another page. and maybe an index at the top to jump to a skill via anchor? hmm..and it seems kind of cluttered having different pages for Atk +1, +2, and +3 and such. tie them into one package and have info on the different levels of that skill all in one place is what i'm feeling. for the passives page maybe split up by A, B, and C skill categories. also in addition to having which units innately have a skill, add some thing that signifies what star level they need to be to get the max level of the skill? 

anyways this is very nice..i just finished my web programming last semester and it makes me really appreciate all you've done here ahah. 

1 minute ago, wizzard of soz said:

seems useful! looks all smooth and pretty too. here's some stray thoughts

Hide contents

something i'd prefer for the skill/weapon/etc pages is having info about the skills on the page instead of links to another page. and maybe an index at the top to jump to a skill via anchor? hmm..and it seems kind of cluttered having different pages for Atk +1, +2, and +3 and such. tie them into one package and have info on the different levels of that skill all in one place is what i'm feeling. for the passives page maybe split up by A, B, and C skill categories. also in addition to having which units innately have a skill, add some thing that signifies what star level they need to be to get the max level of the skill? 

anyways this is very nice..i just finished my web programming last semester and it makes me really appreciate all you've done here ahah. 

I agree with pretty much everything you are suggesting. Small tip though: The hero pages do have the weapon/passive etc info on them down below in tables, and if you mouse over the text in the "innate skills" section it will give you the description.

Thanks for the suggestions, all added to The List(tm)

48 minutes ago, Winsomniak said:

Great point, a handful of people have requested an IV calculator as well. That something you use? I mostly just lookup level 1 stats and mental math it myself.

Please call them natures instead of IVs. I'd rather not have that cancer spread. That is my only request.

For now.

The website is amazingly made, Kagero! I'm impressed. :D:

I'd like to mention my wishlist. I'm mostly going to cover the Hero page.

• Zoom. While the hero page is looking very nice, I do wish I can see everything without the need of scrolling, and is readable for easy screenshooting. With a 1366x768 monitor, it ended up looking like below when I zoom out to my desired view of the page.
Spoiler

Capture1.thumb.JPG.5194b1871f01bf20722f68cccc39e59e.JPG

• Innate Skills: Just need a little bit of improvements as it isn't sorted well on a 2-column. How about making it drop down the full list of learnables when you click on it? That way you can eliminate the bottom side of the page entirely.
  • LVL40 stats: Make the text bigger and bolder, while also adding a ranking number (SPD: 37 [ 3 / 39 ] ). Include the rarities if available. Sometimes I might want to compare 4* units.
  • Matchups: You can make it as something like this: Best as a Red check (include 4 hero examples with portraits), but worst against archers (Include 4 heroes as examples), then include the link of the full matchup chart.
  • LVL1 stats: Same as LVL40 stats part except for the ranking bar. That one isn't needed.
  • Hero Portrait: Make it more or less fit the page, but that can go last. Hmm... I might want to see its idle pose instead as default, and enable us to look at all the pictures instead of one.

That's all I can give for now. Good luck! ^_^

Edited by Lyrai

When Heroes first released, I mostly just cared about the IV calculator on Gamepress, but eventually converted over to the Fire Emblem Heroes Wiki since I find that to be a superior resource. Later, I ended up liking the Combat Calculator, which it seems you guys have picked up.

As of present though, I do still find the Wiki preferable as my Fire Emblem Heroes resource since I also like glancing at the Tier List. Anyways, here is my feedback.

1. Individual Character Pages - I mostly use the Wiki to determine Character Natures. Every now and then I like to use it to read character quotes.
-- General Feedback: I do like your particular page layout for individual characters over the Wiki's version, mostly because the relevant information is condensed on a single screen with no need to scroll around. However, the Wiki is currently better as it has all the various stat information, including different natures and different star ranks.
-- Layout Feedback: I feel like the pages would look better (at least on PC) if there were just three columns and nothing on the bottom. This is because I find the Innate Skills and Other Information to be redundant and take up too much space for what little they provide. So, I can see A: Character Image (with the variants), B: Show Max Stats and Level 1 Stats (with variants), C: Display all the skills (Weapon, Special, Assist, and Passives) Just remember that this is merely a suggestion, feel free to work with whatever you believe is best!

2. Character Matchups - Honestly, while I can somewhat see what is this is supposed to provide, I simply find the combat calculator with the "One Versus All" or "All Versus One" to be better. Besides guessing the top left is favorable and the bottom right isn't, I personally don't find much value in this feature.

3. Stat Charts - I find the Wiki to have a better chart, especially after they added in their sorting tool on their Stats Table. However, I do appreciate the gathering of all the heroes with their certain numbers in their respective stats, such as the SPD Chart and the BST Chart (here is the SPD Chart on the Wiki for reference). Overall though, I still like the Wiki's Stat Table due to its versatility.

4. Weapons, Specials, Assists, and Passives - Currently I find the Wiki versions better because of the formatting as well as the descriptions. The major thing for me is condensing the passives into a single level instead of listing their every level.
I appreciate the effort put into Kagero Chart. For the most part, I see using the site for the combat calculator and little else as I have the Wiki everything else. However, as the site grows and adds in more features, I can see it becoming competitive with the Wiki and Gamepress. Either way, best of luck with your site!

21 minutes ago, Lyrai said:

The website is amazingly made, Kagero! I'm impressed. :D:

I'd like to mention my wishlist. I'm mostly going to cover the Hero page.

• Zoom. While the hero page is looking very nice, I do wish I can see everything without the need of scrolling, and is readable for easy screenshooting. With a 1366x768 monitor, it ended up looking like below when I zoom out to my desired view of the page.
  Hide contents

Capture1.thumb.JPG.5194b1871f01bf20722f68cccc39e59e.JPG

• Innate Skills: Just need a little bit of improvements as it isn't sorted well on a 2-column. How about making it drop down the full list of learnables when you click on it? That way you can eliminate the bottom side of the page entirely.
  • LVL40 stats: Make the text bigger and bolder, while also adding a ranking number (SPD: 37 [ 3 / 39 ] ). Include the rarities if available. Sometimes I might want to compare 4* units.
  • Matchups: You can make it as something like this: Best as a Red check (include 4 hero examples with portraits), but worst against archers (Include 4 heroes as examples), then include the link of the full matchup chart.
  • LVL1 stats: Same as LVL40 stats part except for the ranking bar. That one isn't needed.
  • Hero Portrait: Make it more or less fit the page, but that can go last. Hmm... I might want to see its idle pose instead as default, and enable us to look at all the pictures instead of one.

That's all I can give for now. Good luck! ^_^

I  definitely need to do some condensing and/or add some content to these largely empty sections. They come out like that due to some resposive CSS (which is why it works on mobile)

Truth be told I have all of the data you are asking for in the system, I just need to mark it up. Stay tuned!

12 minutes ago, Sire said:

When Heroes first released, I mostly just cared about the IV calculator on Gamepress, but eventually converted over to the Fire Emblem Heroes Wiki since I find that to be a superior resource. Later, I ended up liking the Combat Calculator, which it seems you guys have picked up.

As of present though, I do still find the Wiki preferable as my Fire Emblem Heroes resource since I also like glancing at the Tier List. Anyways, here is my feedback.

1. Individual Character Pages - I mostly use the Wiki to determine Character Natures. Every now and then I like to use it to read character quotes.
-- General Feedback: I do like your particular page layout for individual characters over the Wiki's version, mostly because the relevant information is condensed on a single screen with no need to scroll around. However, the Wiki is currently better as it has all the various stat information, including different natures and different star ranks.
-- Layout Feedback: I feel like the pages would look better (at least on PC) if there were just three columns and nothing on the bottom. This is because I find the Innate Skills and Other Information to be redundant and take up too much space for what little they provide. So, I can see A: Character Image (with the variants), B: Show Max Stats and Level 1 Stats (with variants), C: Display all the skills (Weapon, Special, Assist, and Passives) Just remember that this is merely a suggestion, feel free to work with whatever you believe is best!

2. Character Matchups - Honestly, while I can somewhat see what is this is supposed to provide, I simply find the combat calculator with the "One Versus All" or "All Versus One" to be better. Besides guessing the top left is favorable and the bottom right isn't, I personally don't find much value in this feature.

3. Stat Charts - I find the Wiki to have a better chart, especially after they added in their sorting tool on their Stats Table. However, I do appreciate the gathering of all the heroes with their certain numbers in their respective stats, such as the SPD Chart and the BST Chart (here is the SPD Chart on the Wiki for reference). Overall though, I still like the Wiki's Stat Table due to its versatility.

4. Weapons, Specials, Assists, and Passives - Currently I find the Wiki versions better because of the formatting as well as the descriptions. The major thing for me is condensing the passives into a single level instead of listing their every level.
I appreciate the effort put into Kagero Chart. For the most part, I see using the site for the combat calculator and little else as I have the Wiki everything else. However, as the site grows and adds in more features, I can see it becoming competitive with the Wiki and Gamepress. Either way, best of luck with your site!

Solid and honest feedback, thanks! I actually have a list of things to do for these pages specifically and expect the hero profiles to be competitive in a week or two. Regarding the hero matchups, the real value is that you can bookmark/share it. After I finish some other things on The List(tm) I plan to print out some matchup statistics. I also created that before taking over the battle simulator, so theres a bit of unnecessary overlap. Stay tuned as I gradually improve all of the above, and thanks again for the blunt feedback!

1 hour ago, Winsomniak said:

I  definitely need to do some condensing and/or add some content to these largely empty sections. They come out like that due to some resposive CSS (which is why it works on mobile)

Truth be told I have all of the data you are asking for in the system, I just need to mark it up. Stay tuned!

Mm. I just read the rest of the pages and I'm starting to understand more of your pages. You can just focus on the Zoom suggestion that I gave you and ignore the rest for now. ^_^

Charactor pages: I don't understand the reasoning behind the colour coding of stats. I think replacing it with a table that lists the stats of all rarities and their variations is better. You can colour code this table to indicate the rarity. You can put clickable colour coded stars above the stats table that the user can use to hide and reveal certain rarities. The nature of a unit is the highest in demand info.

Charactor list:

I think you should make it similar to the excell document below. It would be great if you could implement a sort, search and filter on the entries in the columns.

4oBgAh1.png

This is just a small QoL request, but for the matchup simulator: Would it be possible to make everything a bit smaller so that everything from the character portraits of the attacker/defender down to X wins, Y losses, and Z draws can all be seen on one screen without scrolling? Basically resize it to what it was before.

5 hours ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

This is just a small QoL request, but for the matchup simulator: Would it be possible to make everything a bit smaller so that everything from the character portraits of the attacker/defender down to X wins, Y losses, and Z draws can all be seen on one screen without scrolling? Basically resize it to what it was before.

Sure, this will be less a problem when I remove the notice at the top. I am currently working on a more mobile friendly version of that page.

7 hours ago, Clogon said:

Charactor pages: I don't understand the reasoning behind the colour coding of stats. I think replacing it with a table that lists the stats of all rarities and their variations is better. You can colour code this table to indicate the rarity. You can put clickable colour coded stars above the stats table that the user can use to hide and reveal certain rarities. The nature of a unit is the highest in demand info.

Charactor list:

I think you should make it similar to the excell document below. It would be great if you could implement a sort, search and filter on the entries in the columns.

4oBgAh1.png

Agree with the hero index, its #2 or #3 on my list for redesign right now.

Re: stat coloring - this is indicating roughly where a hero stands vs the rest of the roster. red = bad, green = OP, yellow = meh average

Took a quick glance at KageroChart, and as a relatively new site it holds a great deal of promise. It does have to compete with the tenure of the FEH Wiki and Gamepress which can be problematic.

A few users here have already made the same critiques I was going to suggest, like adding Zoom and making pages for each skill instead of all levels of a skill, and adding stats after natures as well as quotes on unit pages, though I do have one question:

Are you considering adding skill builds for units in the future? I understand this would be quite an undertaking that involves a lot of subjectivity, so if you need any assistance I can offer some of my and other users' input to pore over.

Spoiler

Also, try not to double post. If you need to respond to someone else's post just edit your most recent post and add a mention before the user you're responding to with @[person's name here]

Minor nitpick though, I don't think anybody is going to mind.

2 hours ago, Winsomniak said:

Re: stat coloring - this is indicating roughly where a hero stands vs the rest of the roster. red = bad, green = OP, yellow = meh average

Can you tell me how this information is useful? I see a lot of japanese websites do similar things but never found out why I should care.

39 minutes ago, Clogon said:

Can you tell me how this information is useful? I see a lot of japanese websites do similar things but never found out why I should care.

I would be interested to know if others share your opinion or not, definitely. Coloring should act as a visual aid beyond meter width in theory.

2 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Took a quick glance at KageroChart, and as a relatively new site it holds a great deal of promise. It does have to compete with the tenure of the FEH Wiki and Gamepress which can be problematic.

A few users here have already made the same critiques I was going to suggest, like adding Zoom and making pages for each skill instead of all levels of a skill, and adding stats after natures as well as quotes on unit pages, though I do have one question:

Are you considering adding skill builds for units in the future? I understand this would be quite an undertaking that involves a lot of subjectivity, so if you need any assistance I can offer some of my and other users' input to pore over.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, try not to double post. If you need to respond to someone else's post just edit your most recent post and add a mention before the user you're responding to with @[person's name here]

Minor nitpick though, I don't think anybody is going to mind.

I would like to do this eventually yes. Please feel free to share your thoughts on that, I have not written up a design yet.

Forum Skill +1!

This is way better than gamepress.

Thanks for not making me scroll past 3-4 builds to get to the 'innate skills' section...

I don't think "build guides" are necessary.  I think a comments section at the bottom for all the characters would be nice, however.