Too Many Swords?

16 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'm not even mad about the focus on Archanea and Awakening.

I AM mad about the inclusion of Fates. At least we know Awakening is set in the same world as Archanea, but Fates is off in its own, poorly developed, weird world.

I'd be fine if the game was Awakening, the Archanea characters, and the Jugdral characters. At least then you could make the argument that the characters are all from the same world at different points in time, and it doesn't just break down to "We just wanted to use the most popular games to sell our Musou", like this obviously is.

This "too many swords" excuse is a poor attempt to draw away from the fact that they're just using the games that sold most. Which, you know, I'd also be fine with, if they at least said this. At least they'd be honest.

That would be an interesting angle to take, and I'd even support it more than what we have, but at the end of the day, it's all about the broadest appeal.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, L9999 said:

Who the hell is Kellam?

Now that I think about it, nobody who is popular in FE uses axes. You got Hector, and...I guess Camilla but she is more tits than axes if you ask me. 

See? That's why Koei set up that weapon diversity ratio. Otherwise we'd be filled with swordsmen. 

Known axemen would include: Hector, Camilla, Walhart, Garon, Bartre, Barst, Echidna, Gonzales, Greil/RD Ike, Rinkah, Charlotte, Arthur...just to say a few. It gets tricky when it comes to axemen. Same goes for spear wielders. 

@ people mad about the OCs being sword wielders: They sorta get a free pass due to them being original characters. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

1 hour ago, Lord-Zero said:

See? That's why Koei set up that weapon diversity ratio. Otherwise we'd be filled with swordsmen. 

Known axemen would include: Hector, Camilla, Walhart, Garon, Bartre, Barst, Echidna, Gonzales, Greil/RD Ike, Rinkah, Charlotte, Arthur...just to say a few. It gets tricky when it comes to axemen. Same goes for spear wielders. 

Spoiler

J5xuzFg.jpg

How do you forget the majesty of MINERVA, the first and Red Drackoknight who's wielder of the STRONGEST SINGULAR WEAPON IN THE SERIES

*Ahem*

Adding to this regarding spear men. The majority of units with spears are either mounted, flying or armored, with the only who aren't are Lukas, Ephraim, Nephnee, Donnel, Mozu and Oboro

Just now, Motendra said:

How do you forget the majesty of MINERVA, the first and Red Drackoknight who's wielder of the STRONGEST SINGULAR WEAPON IN THE SERIES

Liar liar FE4 Valflame has set you on fire! 30 Might and +10 Magic is uncontested by all but effective weapons against their intended targets.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Liar liar FE4 Valflame has set you on fire! 30 Might and +10 Magic is uncontested by all but effective weapons against their intended targets.

Book of Naga kills the broken final boss.

4 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Reveal hidden contents

J5xuzFg.jpg

*Ahem*

Adding to this regarding spear men. The majority of units with spears are either mounted, flying or armored, with the only who aren't are Lukas, Ephraim, Nephnee, Donnel, Mozu and Oboro

As Fire Emblem Heroes shows, unit variety sucks in Fire Emblem, too much pony and swordfighters. You forgot Forsyth and Amelia in your list btw.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Aye, I'm talking pure base might numbers, none inclusive of broken mechanics. In the game where both weapons appear, Hauteclaire comes out on top with 21. Granted, Valflamme does grant 5+ magic, but even then, they're still tied  

HA! >:)

2 minutes ago, L9999 said:

Book of Naga kills the broken final boss.

As Fire Emblem Heroes shows, unit variety sucks in Fire Emblem, too much pony and swordfighters. You forgot Forsyth and Amelia in your list btw.

Mother of god, you're right! For some reason I had this thought that Forsyth was a prepromote. Can't say anything on Amelia, so I'll just proudly take that L and be on my way

18 minutes ago, L9999 said:

...As Fire Emblem Heroes shows, unit variety sucks in Fire Emblem, too much pony and swordfighters...

This is perhaps my biggest struggle as a Fire Emblem fan who loves the heck out of the "evil" classes like Brigands and Dark Mages.

11 minutes ago, Motendra said:

...For some reason I had this thought that Forsyth was a prepromote. Can't say anything on Amelia, so I'll just proudly take that L and be on my way

Forsyth and Clive are both close enough to promoting when you get them that they might as well be pre-promotes.

26 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Reveal hidden contents

J5xuzFg.jpg

*Ahem*

Well firstly every FE4 holy weapon beats that (and others might as well), additions to strength increase the defacto power as does forging, and the power of said axe varies between versions. As for Minerva "just to say a few" plus I don't think any of the mentioned ones involve remakes giving them access to said axes. 

Edit. While yeah Holy weapons are pretty special, but It's still untrue even if you take away the purposely OP like the Judge attacks. There's quite a few and I'm even looking at one in the game I'm playing right now. (The 20 wt kinda makes it impractical but still) Oh and what did Aran ever do to you guys? (Probably the same to whoever I might of missed)

21 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Aye, I'm talking pure base might numbers, none inclusive of broken mechanics. In the game where both weapons appear, Hauteclaire comes out on top with 21. Granted, Valflamme does grant 5+ magic, but even then, they're still tied  

HA! >:)

Mother of god, you're right! For some reason I had this thought that Forsyth was a prepromote. Can't say anything on Amelia, so I'll just proudly take that L and be on my way

Shame on me, forgot about Sharena.

20 minutes ago, goodperson707 said:

Well firstly every FE4 holy weapon beats that (and others might as well), additions to strength increase the defacto power as does forging, and the power of said axe varies between versions. As for Minerva "just to say a few" plus I don't think any of the mentioned ones involve remakes giving them access to said axes. 

Edit. While yeah Holy weapons are pretty special, but It's still untrue even if you take away the purposely OP like the Judge attacks. There's quite a few and I'm even looking at one in the game I'm playing right now. (The 20 wt kinda makes it impractical but still) Oh and what did Aran ever do to you guys? (Probably the same to whoever I might of missed)

Again, differences in gameplay balancing. Practically every weapon's base might in FE4 is notably higher than those in other entries. A simple Iron axe is normally 7 might, but in FE4 its freaking 14. Because of this, I was referring to their latest appearance where they all exist, so that its a fair comparison. 'Course, I prolly should have specified with weapons that are actually usable by playable units, which I thought kinda went without saying. Apparently not

But damn, y'all, I was just trying to have a petty moment :L

Edited by Motendra

6 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Again, differences in gameplay balancing. Practically every weapon's base might in FE4 is notably higher than those in other entries. A simple Iron axe is normally 7 might, but in FE4 its freaking 14. Because of this, I was referring to their latest appearance where they all exist, so that its a fair comparison.

But damn, y'all, I was just trying to have a petty moment :L

Well yeah I pretty much agreed with you on the holy weapons (and stuff like judge) afterwards. The game I'm playing is FE8 for the stronger tome I was looking at. (Płus the stuff on addtions to strength/magic and forging, In 13 a  Hector's axe is can reach 15+5+2 from what I remember.)

Edited by goodperson707

On 5/31/2017 at 5:01 PM, Book Bro said:

Next... we probably want Alm and Celica to promote the upcoming games. As a bonus Alm has the option to use bows and Celica has magic. We're at 17 characters. Still not really an issue as all these sword users fight very differently.

... What upcoming games? If you're talking about FE Echoes, that game would have been out for over 3 months by the time FE Warriors gets released (Echoes released on 4/20 in Japan, 5/19-5/20 internationally; FE Warriors is scheduled for a Fall 2017 release). And I can't imagine Echoes being as popular as Awakening or Fates given the limited amount of marketing it had received before release compared to Awakening or Fates.

This excuse about not including many popular lords since it would mean too many swords makes me question if they have their priorities straight... The main thing many have dreamed of getting from a game like this is a dream roster of their favorite characters first and foremost. If they suddenly think it wiser to not include fan favorites just because it would mean half the characters are sword users and the weapon triangle wouldn't be balanced, then the weapon triangle should either go screw itself or have a lot more thought put into ways to balance things out. 

Here's one thing I wonder: how will weapon usage work in this game? Will it be like HW where you select a weapon before the battle and your whole move-set will revolve around that one weapon? Meaning if a character has more than one type of weapon (like Robin being known to use both swords and tomes), they will use just one or the other every battle depending on which one they chose? If so, that right there somewhat ruins the "too many swords" reasoning considering many of the popular characters could also bring something besides a sword to the table (Ike with axes, Lyn with Bows, and so on, and I'm sure there wouldn't be too much complaining if a couple characters used an extra weapon they weren't known to use in their respective game); just have non-lord characters (like OCs for example...) mainly use sets of weapons that don't include swords and everything would balance out.

Of course I won't be the least bit surprised these days if what ends up happening is the roster is just full of the Awalening/Fates characters (which I've gotten a little sick of already) with a couple Shadow Dragon ones. And then, just one day after release (Or even a month or two before release), they announce a seventy dollar season pass for DLC that will include characters like Ike, Lyn, and so on that many folks wanted from the get go! lol

While I can see that it would be an incredibly tough job to figure out who get's included and who doesn't. I don't see their excuse as adding up when in the trailer every character that was referenced through the orbs on the Fire Emblem is a sword wielder. Most characters can wield swords at least in their promoted class such as Generals (or at least the GBA and Tellius ones do) and then Cavaliers, Dark Knights, and Bow Knights also all can wield swords. Granted these units don't exclusively wield swords but neither do most if not all lords, I'm just pointing out that at the end of the day a majority of the classes from Fire Emblem wield swords either primarily or as an optional weapon. The only exception to this are Fighters, Pirates, Mages, Archers and Flying units (although GBA flying units gained the use of swords). I will say it would be a sadly missed opportunity to not have the Armads axe in the game and thus include Hector, or the Rheginleaf lance (hopefully I spelled that right, basically Ephraim's lance) and include Ephraim, the Mani Katti and include Lynn and a similar case for tomes/spells and mages.

On 2.6.2017 at 4:55 AM, Amanroth said:

This excuse about not including many popular lords since it would mean too many swords makes me question if they have their priorities straight... The main thing many have dreamed of getting from a game like this is a dream roster of their favorite characters first and foremost. If they suddenly think it wiser to not include fan favorites just because it would mean half the characters are sword users and the weapon triangle wouldn't be balanced, then the weapon triangle should either go screw itself or have a lot more thought put into ways to balance things out. 

Here's one thing I wonder: how will weapon usage work in this game? Will it be like HW where you select a weapon before the battle and your whole move-set will revolve around that one weapon? Meaning if a character has more than one type of weapon (like Robin being known to use both swords and tomes), they will use just one or the other every battle depending on which one they chose? If so, that right there somewhat ruins the "too many swords" reasoning considering many of the popular characters could also bring something besides a sword to the table (Ike with axes, Lyn with Bows, and so on, and I'm sure there wouldn't be too much complaining if a couple characters used an extra weapon they weren't known to use in their respective game); just have non-lord characters (like OCs for example...) mainly use sets of weapons that don't include swords and everything would balance out.

Of course I won't be the least bit surprised these days if what ends up happening is the roster is just full of the Awalening/Fates characters (which I've gotten a little sick of already) with a couple Shadow Dragon ones. And then, just one day after release (Or even a month or two before release), they announce a seventy dollar season pass for DLC that will include characters like Ike, Lyn, and so on that many folks wanted from the get go! lol

Actually, depending on things, that wouldn't quite work out. If it was like HW, the majority of opponents you'd face would still use their primary weapon, which in the case of most of the lords, are swords. Which means characters with a lance weapon would still have a major advantage, regardless of whether they could use multiple weapons or not.

2 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

While I can see that it would be an incredibly tough job to figure out who get's included and who doesn't. I don't see their excuse as adding up when in the trailer every character that was referenced through the orbs on the Fire Emblem is a sword wielder. Most characters can wield swords at least in their promoted class such as Generals (or at least the GBA and Tellius ones do) and then Cavaliers, Dark Knights, and Bow Knights also all can wield swords. Granted these units don't exclusively wield swords but neither do most if not all lords, I'm just pointing out that at the end of the day a majority of the classes from Fire Emblem wield swords either primarily or as an optional weapon. The only exception to this are Fighters, Pirates, Mages, Archers and Flying units (although GBA flying units gained the use of swords). I will say it would be a sadly missed opportunity to not have the Armads axe in the game and thus include Hector, or the Rheginleaf lance (hopefully I spelled that right, basically Ephraim's lance) and include Ephraim, the Mani Katti and include Lynn and a similar case for tomes/spells and mages.

Well, let's see. Of the normal classes:

Lords: Swords. Chrom and Lucina can also wield Lances as secondary weapons, and Corrin can wield Dragonstones with equal proficiency at the same time he gets his unique sword. Only Marth truly solely sticks to the sword out of the Lords of the games that we're restricted to.

Paladins: Swords and Lances. Also one of the only classes in Fates who can equally wield both weapon types that they have. With Xander technically confirmed, we already have a horse unit who can give us the sword angle of this class.

Great Knights: The whole weapon triangle. Favors lances in Fates. I don't actually think any of the playable Great Knights that we could potentially get will go with the sword, in particular because they're Jagens and favor the lance instead. Walhart of the Great Knight-similiar Conqueror class will go with Axes instead.

Generals: Lances and Bows in Shadow Dragon. Lances and Axes in the other two games we're taking characters from. Indeed, there's no sword here. Might get a lance user. Garon if he is playable would use an Axe.

Hero: Swords and Axes. Favors swords. I don't think that's going to change.

Bow Knight: Swords and Bows. Favors bows. Don't think that's going to change either.

Sniper: Exclusively uses Bows to perfection.

Swordmaster: Exclusively uses Swords to perfection. Notably, with Ryoma kinda being soft-confirmed, it does mean we don't necessarily have to include another Swordmaster-class character.

Assassin/Trickster: Assassin uses Swords and Bows in Awakening. The Ninja version in Fates uses Swords and Hidden Weapons. Tricksters use Swords and Staves in Awakening while the Adventurer in Fates use Bows and Staves. They might actually have all the thief/assassin-type characters use a Hidden Weapon for this game, while the Trickster-type characters provide support, even if they might make up new Hidden Weapons for some of them.

Warrior: Uses Axes and Bows. Favors Axes.

Berserker: Exclusively uses Axes to perfection.

Falcon Knight: Uses Swords and Lances in Shadow Dragon. Lances and Staves in Awakening and Fates. As such, it has a large focus on the lance as the Peg. Knights' weapon of choice.

Dark Flier: Uses Lances and Tomes. They tend towards Tomes to contrast with the Falcon Knights.

Wyvern Lord: Uses Lances and Axes. By now, the class has pretty much gone from favoring Lances to favoring Axes, so that's probably what we're going to see with our wyvern riding candidates.

Sage: Favors Tomes and Staves. Will probably be more on the Tome side, but that in itself opens up for specialization in Fire, Thunder, and Wind. Might have a Light Magic user somewhere along the line too.

Sorcerer: Exclusively uses Tomes to perfection. As a result, they are often able to use Dark Magic which tend to have interesting effects on their tomes compared to the other types of magic.

Dark Knight: Uses Swords and Tomes, but since they promote solely from magic-using classes, they favor magic in both Awakening and Fates. Essentially a mounted spellcaster able to use a sword, most Dark Knights will undubitably focus on Tomes.

Monk/Cleric variants: Usually promoted to Bishops (who carried Tomes alongside their Staves) before Awakening and Fates introduced versions which wielded a physical weapon alongside Staves. Axes in Awakening, Lances and Bows in Fates. No Sword-using Cleric variant in any of the restricted games. They'd be interesting support units overall.

Valkyrie: The mounted version of Monk/Cleric, but due to the change wrought by Awakening onwards, Valkyries were able to keep their use of Tomes. They are still much more support-oriented than the other mounted spellcaster class, so while the Dark Knight can fulfill the offensive spellcaster, Valkyries can embrace a support role.

Grandmaster: Essentially an infantry version of the Dark Knight in terms of weaponry. Grandmasters, while balanced overall, still tend to favor Tomes above Swords as their weapons of choice, not least because Robin himself leans towards spellcasting over swordfighting, and has continued to lean towards the spellcaster end more and more as he appears in games after Awakening.

Villager: Uses Lances in Awakening and Fates. Don't see much of a change here honestly.

Soldier: Uses Lances. Might be our lance specialists.

Dancer: Uses Swords in Awakening, Lances in Fates. But their main draw is that their dances provide support effects, and so Dancers are not really known for their fighting. The Dancer-type character who uses Lances is probably more likely to be seen in this game than the one who uses Swords.

Beastshifter Characters: Exclusively uses Beaststones to take animal forms.

Manakete: Exclusively uses Dragonstones to take dragon forms.

So... characters of the Lord, Hero, and Swordmaster classes, as well as some Paladin characters, may use swords as their main weapon. The others likely won't.

45 minutes ago, Folt said:

Actually, depending on things, that wouldn't quite work out. If it was like HW, the majority of opponents you'd face would still use their primary weapon, which in the case of most of the lords, are swords. Which means characters with a lance weapon would still have a major advantage, regardless of whether they could use multiple weapons or not.

Well, let's see. Of the normal classes:

Lords: Swords. Chrom and Lucina can also wield Lances as secondary weapons, and Corrin can wield Dragonstones with equal proficiency at the same time he gets his unique sword. Only Marth truly solely sticks to the sword out of the Lords of the games that we're restricted to.

Paladins: Swords and Lances. Also one of the only classes in Fates who can equally wield both weapon types that they have. With Xander technically confirmed, we already have a horse unit who can give us the sword angle of this class.

Great Knights: The whole weapon triangle. Favors lances in Fates. I don't actually think any of the playable Great Knights that we could potentially get will go with the sword, in particular because they're Jagens and favor the lance instead. Walhart of the Great Knight-similiar Conqueror class will go with Axes instead.

Generals: Lances and Bows in Shadow Dragon. Lances and Axes in the other two games we're taking characters from. Indeed, there's no sword here. Might get a lance user. Garon if he is playable would use an Axe.

Hero: Swords and Axes. Favors swords. I don't think that's going to change.

Bow Knight: Swords and Bows. Favors bows. Don't think that's going to change either.

Sniper: Exclusively uses Bows to perfection.

Swordmaster: Exclusively uses Swords to perfection. Notably, with Ryoma kinda being soft-confirmed, it does mean we don't necessarily have to include another Swordmaster-class character.

Assassin/Trickster: Assassin uses Swords and Bows in Awakening. The Ninja version in Fates uses Swords and Hidden Weapons. Tricksters use Swords and Staves in Awakening while the Adventurer in Fates use Bows and Staves. They might actually have all the thief/assassin-type characters use a Hidden Weapon for this game, while the Trickster-type characters provide support, even if they might make up new Hidden Weapons for some of them.

Warrior: Uses Axes and Bows. Favors Axes.

Berserker: Exclusively uses Axes to perfection.

Falcon Knight: Uses Swords and Lances in Shadow Dragon. Lances and Staves in Awakening and Fates. As such, it has a large focus on the lance as the Peg. Knights' weapon of choice.

Dark Flier: Uses Lances and Tomes. They tend towards Tomes to contrast with the Falcon Knights.

Wyvern Lord: Uses Lances and Axes. By now, the class has pretty much gone from favoring Lances to favoring Axes, so that's probably what we're going to see with our wyvern riding candidates.

Sage: Favors Tomes and Staves. Will probably be more on the Tome side, but that in itself opens up for specialization in Fire, Thunder, and Wind. Might have a Light Magic user somewhere along the line too.

Sorcerer: Exclusively uses Tomes to perfection. As a result, they are often able to use Dark Magic which tend to have interesting effects on their tomes compared to the other types of magic.

Dark Knight: Uses Swords and Tomes, but since they promote solely from magic-using classes, they favor magic in both Awakening and Fates. Essentially a mounted spellcaster able to use a sword, most Dark Knights will undubitably focus on Tomes.

Monk/Cleric variants: Usually promoted to Bishops (who carried Tomes alongside their Staves) before Awakening and Fates introduced versions which wielded a physical weapon alongside Staves. Axes in Awakening, Lances and Bows in Fates. No Sword-using Cleric variant in any of the restricted games. They'd be interesting support units overall.

Valkyrie: The mounted version of Monk/Cleric, but due to the change wrought by Awakening onwards, Valkyries were able to keep their use of Tomes. They are still much more support-oriented than the other mounted spellcaster class, so while the Dark Knight can fulfill the offensive spellcaster, Valkyries can embrace a support role.

Grandmaster: Essentially an infantry version of the Dark Knight in terms of weaponry. Grandmasters, while balanced overall, still tend to favor Tomes above Swords as their weapons of choice, not least because Robin himself leans towards spellcasting over swordfighting, and has continued to lean towards the spellcaster end more and more as he appears in games after Awakening.

Villager: Uses Lances in Awakening and Fates. Don't see much of a change here honestly.

Soldier: Uses Lances. Might be our lance specialists.

Dancer: Uses Swords in Awakening, Lances in Fates. But their main draw is that their dances provide support effects, and so Dancers are not really known for their fighting. The Dancer-type character who uses Lances is probably more likely to be seen in this game than the one who uses Swords.

Beastshifter Characters: Exclusively uses Beaststones to take animal forms.

Manakete: Exclusively uses Dragonstones to take dragon forms.

So... characters of the Lord, Hero, and Swordmaster classes, as well as some Paladin characters, may use swords as their main weapon. The others likely won't.

Small tweak for Grandmaster/Tactician, as a class in Awakening it had equal favor toward swords and tomes. It wasn't until Fates that that changed (I blame Smash).

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

Small tweak for Grandmaster/Tactician, as a class in Awakening it had equal favor toward swords and tomes. It wasn't until Fates that that changed (I blame Smash).

Technically true, but Robin mostly stuck to Thoron when he did attack in cutscenes anyway.

9 minutes ago, Folt said:

Technically true, but Robin mostly stuck to Thoron when he did attack in cutscenes anyway.

Well, Robin technically only attacked two or three times and each time a ranged attack was necessary especially since Chrom had close range covered. I'm just not a fan of people seemingly forget that Robin could master swords as well.

Not to rain on the parade of units but the armor knight Draug is able to use swords as his starting weapon in FE 1. It's an odd thing really since TMS made him favor axes and Heroes made him go sword but if you want a knight rep in this game Draug is by far the likeliest choice since I'm sure Marth's entire starting squad or at least him, Caeda and the Christmas cavs will be in this game. Granted Knights couldn't promote to General's in FE 1.

Edited by Raguna

@Raguna: I agree on Draug. He brings the most variety out of the possible armor knight reps. He's also part of Marth's starting squad which would put him way ahead of characters such as Kellam or Benny. 

9 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, Robin technically only attacked two or three times and each time a ranged attack was necessary especially since Chrom had close range covered. I'm just not a fan of people seemingly forget that Robin could master swords as well.

Which probably explains why Robin got so associated with casting magic as-is: With Chrom and/or Lucina covering the close range, there's not much need for Robin to do any other attacks except spell-slinging.

Honestly, in this case, I pretty much welcome the Smash Bros. influence.

3 minutes ago, Folt said:

Which probably explains why Robin got so associated with casting magic as-is: With Chrom and/or Lucina covering the close range, there's not much need for Robin to do any other attacks except spell-slinging.

Honestly, in this case, I pretty much welcome the Smash Bros. influence.

It may not have been so bad if they at least acknowledged the sword use a bit more, but even the main sword is a Levin sword (used improperly to boot).

Well, Robin in Smash Bros. is every bit a spellcaster-who-can-use-a-sword interpretation of the magic fighter, which was kinda refreshing because most JRPG magic fighters tend to be the other way around.

I do in particular like the Levin Sword attacks, since it's pretty clear that the attacks that use them are effective because of the lightning magic channeled by the Levin Sword that gives it the oomph and the range they need, not because it's a sword.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:47 PM, Slumber said:

I'm not even mad about the focus on Archanea and Awakening.

I AM mad about the inclusion of Fates. At least we know Awakening is set in the same world as Archanea, but Fates is off in its own, poorly developed, weird world.

I'd be fine if the game was Awakening, the Archanea characters, and the Jugdral characters. At least then you could make the argument that the characters are all from the same world at different points in time, and it doesn't just break down to "We just wanted to use the most popular games to sell our Musou", like this obviously is.

This "too many swords" excuse is a poor attempt to draw away from the fact that they're just using the games that sold most. Which, you know, I'd also be fine with, if they at least said this. At least they'd be honest.

Jugdral would completely miss the mark. Those games havent even attempted to release over here, and if we get another remake it will be FE6 as the devs have wanted to do a remake of it. They choose Jugdral, tehn and entire 1/3 of the cast will be Japanese only, and Shadow Dragon isnt exactly a well known game either. That leaves Awakening as the only recognizable game to people outside of the FE community.

The problem is this, most of the eras they could choose just wouldnt work for a variety of reasons. Tellius, along with Shadow Dragon, nearly killed Fire Emblem in the West. The only character people recognize of Tellius is Ike, and that is entirely due to Sakurai and Smash.

The only era that could work without going Fates would be the GBA era. Unfortunately for them, they have had no relevance outside of Roy in Smash (who was not even in the base game, but DLC later) and Heroes. They have been pretty irrelevant for almost 15 years now. Gaiden had its remake, but the problem there is its an easier fit into Marth era than stand alone since there are 4 crossover characters, and with SoV a trip over to Archanea itself. It would be easier to through Alm and Celica with maybe Lukas or Saber with Marth's group than it would to create them as a stand alone era.

That leaves Fates. Fates is a recent game in the series that built off of Awakening. It featured many characters to choose from, with a wide variety of classes, skills, and weapons. The characters themselves are also quite diverse in personality and potential varying movesets. Fates makes sense as the 3rd choice alongside Awakening and Shadow Dragon. Think about it, over 70 characters to choose from, with 55 classes including promotions, and all of them spanning over a wide variety of weapon combinations. Not including the ability to add in Shurikens and Daggers into the mix that only Fates and Tellius have had. Pile all of that on top of it being the most recent entry in the series outside of SoV and selling more than most FE games, even some combined. Its quite obvious why Fates was chosen. Honestly, I would consider them to be making the wrong decision by not choosing Fates.

Edited by Tolvir