Warriors will feature Pair Up from Awakening/Fates

I don't think this was mentioned in Famitsu, but I was skimming the various previews such as from 4Gamer and I noticed this little tidbit.

...deepen bonds by exchanging conversations via the "Bond Conversation" system borrowed from Fire Emblem tradition, confront powerful enemies by co-operating via "Pair Up", fight tactically against enemies by making use of various classes and the weapon triangle...

It's just a list of features, so I dunno how Pair Up actually works in this game. But you can use your imagination : P

Edited by VincentASM

I'm not exactly sure how this would work in a game like this, but whatever the case, awesome! This was one of the few things I really liked about Awakening and Fates (though more-so in Fates since it was really OP in Awakening).

I'm a little bit more interested than before again. :3 (after I'd lost a lot of interest with the news that it'd mostly be Archanea, Fates, and Awakening characters)

So is it only switching between a pair of characters? Guess bond conversations could actually work like supports from a gameplay perspective as well-- depending on their bond level, the active unit is powered up.

I wonder, could it be possible that we could get duos of playable characters to switch between and from?

Like, some sort of crossover between Orochi's switch mechanic and the SW Chronicles games' switch mechanics?

Because that would be awesome!

So the potential for that possible tactics mode to implement pair-up only grows.

This has to tie into the bond element of this as well.  In any case, I'm interested to see how this is implemented.

Pair up, hm

So I'm basically just imagining Samurai Warriors 4/Chronicles or Warriors Orochi with 2 people... That, actually, was pretty expected.

Makes sense. Might be like one of those Warriors games where you can switch between two units chosen at the start of the map. Definitely something that should be considered depending on how powerful the weapon triangle is.

I hope this doesn't mean we won't have Chronicles/Legends character switching. Orochi-styled tag team is much less strategic and more just a way of letting the player use a slightly larger fragment of the 100+ cast.

Chronicles (the first at least) becomes pretty frantic real time strategy when you're trying for the 4th weapons, constantly switching between all your characters to prevent any side-mission from ending in failure.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Chronicles (the first at least) becomes pretty frantic real time strategy when you're trying for the 4th weapons, constantly switching between all your characters to prevent any side-mission from ending in failure.

Wait, you can't order the character you're not controlling in Chronicles?

The Bonds will likely play a part here by powering up your Pair Up partner if you developed it enough kinda like how your character would get special bonuses by gathering your selected characters around a boss in Hyrule Warriors Legends. 

13 minutes ago, Soledai said:

Wait, you can't order the character you're not controlling in Chronicles?

You can, but it's better to take control, as allied NPCs are bad at dealing damage. And every so often you have to reorder them. So just send them to their next objective's location, and when they get there and you have the free moment, swap to them and do whatever you need done.

4 hours ago, Soledai said:

Pair up, hm

So I'm basically just imagining Samurai Warriors 4/Chronicles or Warriors Orochi with 2 people... That, actually, was pretty expected.

This is what I got out of this as well.

The thing about pair-up is that it was assumed to be a thing based on the games and on how previous Warriors games have implemented it.

For me, the pair-up system offers an excuse for certain characters to be a part of the roster by marketing them as a pair.

Hans and Iago the prime example

Whether or not this will hold true come E3 is up in the air, but at the very least offers an interesting way they could reveal characters.

9 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Wishful thinking, but maybe it's for a cooperative mode?

Warriors games almost always have multiplayer so this wouldn't be anything unique if they just called that pair up. 

Its a mechanic not a feature like 2P is.

I wonder if this will be a case of everyone being able to pair up with everyone or if we've got special pairs. Regardless, I hope to see some unique interactions depending on who's with who.

If we're getting special pair ups, I'd guess at:

Marth/Caeda

Merric/Linde

Chrom/Lucina

Robin/Tharja

Corrin/Azura

Ryoma/Kagero

Takumi/Oboro

Hinoka/Either Azama or Setsuna

Xander/Laslow

Camilla/Selena

Leo/Odin

That said, I don't think so.

4 hours ago, Thane said:

I wonder if this will be a case of everyone being able to pair up with everyone or if we've got special pairs. Regardless, I hope to see some unique interactions depending on who's with who.

Everyone will likely be able to pair up with everyone else, but there'll probably be special bonuses for characters who are bond compatible (like series proper and similar to WO).

18 hours ago, DaloDask said:

The thing about pair-up is that it was assumed to be a thing based on the games and on how previous Warriors games have implemented it.

For me, the pair-up system offers an excuse for certain characters to be a part of the roster by marketing them as a pair.

So basically a 3D Project X Zone?

Hyrule Warriors had something a little like a two-characters-as-one thing in Great Fairy!Link.