Tempest Torture

Arthur97

I only got to 30k and that was good enough for me. I got 5 star Masked Marth who I just really wanted to merge with the 4 star one for stats and SP after I promote her, and of course I appreciated the orbs and feathers we got out of this. Not a bad event but I definitely need to be more prepared and pace myself better. At the end I burned some SP potions but I still have over 70 so I'm the real winner here!

Kinda.

Welp, time to train Masked Marth!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

On the contrary I hated the mode due to how slow and tedious it was. Too repetitive. The same 7 maps all over again and again and again...with the same inflated unis. The rewards weren't really that interesting either.  I guess I'm getting too old for this. Marathon stuff like this just bores me these days. 

To be fair, there were actually 10 maps in the pool.

6 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

It's far easier to swallow a Quickened Pulse in exchange for -1 Atk (from the +Atk seal) compared to the -4 Atk of killer weapons, for example. How many times does a killer weapon user use their specials more than once? (Not very, considering most killer users are QR Bonfire---QR breaks after the first combat.)

The best of the Killer Bonfire Quick Riposte users (excluding legendary Killer weapons) are the armors and Lukas (also Beruka, Oboro, and Subaki), all of whom are more than capable of keeping their HP up for Quick Riposte for two rounds of combat.

Well I hit 100k a couple days ago, but I still dumped a bit of stamina since then to make sure I stayed in the top 5k. I finished rank 3,500-ish and about 104,000 points.

I'm glad I went for the 100k+ for those extra orbs and securing another 8k feathers. I just spent 20k on Camus, and I'll have enough for another 5* Promotion by the end of this arena season. I'm glad we got something to really do with the game, even if it was really repetitive, but I kinda wish 95% of my stamina for 2 whole weeks wasn't sucked up solely by Tempest.

Welp, guess I didn't need to do as many runs last night as I did. Ended up finishing around rank 3100 or so (didn't pay too much attention to the exact number), which is well within the top 5k goal I had set for myself so yay :D

I'm so glad this thing is finally over my goodness next time devs please have mercy on my soul and make it less time-consuming.  Anyways ended at rank 1700-ish because last night I got paranoid and wanted to make absolutely sure I stayed in 5K didn't have the willpower to want to try for 1k even though I was decently close that was a big nope for me. Got my 8 thousand feathers and used them to upgrade my +Atk -HP Brave Lance+ Est, as now I'm officially starting to build flyer emblem, as Horse Emblem is finished (i'll post my finished horses later when I have time in the projects thread).

Edited by Locke087

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The best of the Killer Bonfire Quick Riposte users (excluding legendary Killer weapons) are the armors and Lukas (also Beruka, Oboro, and Subaki), all of whom are more than capable of keeping their HP up for Quick Riposte for two rounds of combat.

If they have WTA advantage, sure---the only people who fail to break, say, Effie's QR are about ~30 people, most of whom are red, the rest of whom are colorless (healers and weak ninjas)---Subaki is the only one who fails to break QR without being red or colorless.

(Tested with Fury 3 on enemies, Distant Counter, QR, Bonfire, +Atk/-Spd on Effie.) Sheena does better with about ~50 failing to break it, but, again, the majority are blues or colorless (Beruka and Hawkeye are the two greens that fail to break QR).

Admittedly this is in the 'buffless' state---if you stack wards and fortifies they'll do better.

3,000 feathers for rank.

30,700 someting points. I really stopped playing after 5*LuciMask, I got tired of it also, my job didn't allowed me to keep playing like the first days.

I got good stuffs, at least

If I'd known 104k was all I needed for the extra 2k feathers I may have tried harder. Oh well, what's done is done.

Now that the dust has settled, let's talk about how we made it all happen.

Team A

Spoiler

The A-Squad. Xander really changed the dynamic of my team setup (thanks @Othin for the advice), he walls well and does his fare share of killing and distracting with Siegfried. Plus Vantage gets him out of more than a few sticky situations. B!Caeda does what Lukas can't: Nuke red mages as well as take care of some physical units and with them working together, Soren doesn't have to carry the team and can simply do his part. Meanwhile Wrys keeps everyone healthy, notably Xander and his Fury 3. Caeda has Swordbreaker and Soren has Lancebreaker so any speedy threats are immediately taken care of, particularly units like Ike, Effie, etc. Mages have Drawback and Xander has reposition to get me out of sticky situations

More than a few times this team carries me to the final stage and could probably win, but I have to surrender in order to switch to my bonus unit team. Sometimes I'll make an error or a hard counter that I didn't see coming will pop up, but they'll typically get me to at least stage 4-6. Even if one of them goes down, depending on the enemy team just 3 of them can still beat a stage or two.

As of now, they've all maxed HM.

Team B

Spoiler

B-Team. Athena melts greens and reds with Swordbreaker and even a blue or two (particularly mages given the oppportunity), Lukas does what he always does, delete physical units (even a green or two), Kagero deletes one of the teams weak points (Mages, particularly blue ones, and dagger users since she kept Daggerbreaker.) and Sakura keeps everyone healthy as she inherited Wrys entire moveset (barring healing light, instead she runs the +4 Res skill).

Athena is +DEF/-RES and has Swordbreaker as well as keeping Sturdy Blow 2 so she's a full 8 points of DEF higher than the average, she was surprisingly tanky. No one could double her, she could destroy all sword units and even tanked lances and deleted them in retaliation with Moonbow/Wo Dao+. She rarely saw the final stage but in situations where she had to, she made a great Veronica slayer. Able to ORKO her if she'd taken just a bit of chip damage already. Lukas did what he always did, Kagero has Death Blow 2 (thank you Infernal Legion) which she didn't have at the beginning which made a world of difference.

Even though the team has no counter to cavalry mages (particularly Reinhardt/Olwen) If the A team went down, this team typically got to the final stage with little issue. But in the event they were deployed first, the A team could typically clean up the last couple of stages as well.

This team was initially created for the purpose of grinding SP and HM but ended up being a pretty solid team that even got to the final stage once or twice. After a while, I just started with the A team to make things quicker and this would be the mop up team, still they were great at what they did. As of now, everyone has maxed HM except Athena who is already half way there.

Team C

Spoiler

The Veronica slayer team. Nino deletes the team, Tharja deletes whatever Nino doesn't and they alternate between killing Veronica depending on who has Desperation up (Nino has 3, Tharja has 2), who can tank a hit from her, etc. B!Cordelia has Fortify Def and the Res Seal so she can buff all 4 stats. Olivia dances for the team and tanks a hit if she needs to with the Ruby Sword.

The team sometimes faltered or would have a hard counter (JAFFAR/Felicia/Niles/JAFFAR) but 70-80% of the time they cleaned up the final stage. The strategy was use Team A/B to get to the final stage, then surrender and wipe them clean with this team. This team (notably Nino) is what changed the dynamic of the Trials for me, having a team with the Bonus unit able to reliably finish and give me A/B runs or at the very least clears. Failures were rare, and 339 losses even rarer, though there was the occasional loss. Nino is simply the truth, even at +RES/-DEF. That +RES buffed by Cordelia actually allowed me to Survive baiting Veronica as she would only do 23 damage to Nino.

Special Mention

Spoiler

The OG crew, struggle central. This team has stood the test of time and up until now I've been using them for most of the hardest things in the game (which have been nothing in comparison to the TT). I was confident they could handle anything and I was proven right, but not without hardship. Lukas and Soren do their job well, but without a reliable red assault unit (Olivia doesn't kill things well and Wrys only heals and slows and is always very busy) or counter to blue mages, the team falls apart if even one component is removed, missions must go perfectly and even then can go awry. 

The first week of the trials were so different than the last. At the beginning, I didn't have B!Caeda, Sakura, Athena or Nino. Kagero didn't have Death Blow 2, Soren didn't have Lancebreaker, I wasn't using Xander. Still this team single handedly got me to 30k even if it was always a struggle to include the bonus unit (-ATK *4 Tharja and Robin hurts...). They've done their part and now my Former A-Squad has been officially disbanded. I will still deck out Olivia but she will be replaced and retired when Azura shows her face, they've all maxed out HM at this point. Well done guys, well done.

Notable Units

Spoiler

A!Tiki: 

My last ditch Veronica slayer and standout unit outside of my main teams. If the other units could be removed she could tank and slay Veronica with little issue. She was a saving grace in what would typically be Team D which was usually just a bunch of thrown together units with what I had left in order to have WTA. She typically needed a dancer or another red unit, but if she could get in Veronica's face or get her special ready, she could take her down. She saved me more than a few times, turning what would have been a 339 failure into a C/D clear. 

She never performed well in earlier stages, but proved her worth when it was all on the line.

Cain:

He never survived a single mission but always played a part, weather it was slaying the cavalry on the final stage, doing chip damage to Veronica or simply distracting units and tanking green hits. I thought he was useless but he pulled his weight if for nothing else to be a sandbag.

Ursula:

Her only real use was to slay the cavalry mages on the right side of the final map, but she did it well and was a nice distraction until her death.

Takumi:

He chipped at everything but the cav mages and notably could kill Leo if he spawned. He performed alright in earlier stages but with no SI he was never anything special, even at +SPD.

Frederick:

He clonked armors, weakened lance cavalry and could oneshot weakened mage cavalry on the final stage. He also distracted Veronica for a turn. His move and WoM3 also came in great handy. Though a lot of teams he was on fell, he never felt entirely useless.

Olivia (*3): 

She functioned solely as a dancebot and a one-off enemy distraction, but she did her job perfectly. Cain and Frederick were able to snipe the mage cavs due to her dance and red units (Notably Y!Tiki) were able to double tap and kill Veronica with her help. She was invaluable even with no attack capabilities.

Cherche:

Could slay armors with the best of them, sometimes kill cavalry and distract Veronica for a turn. She was rewarded for her efforts and promoted to *5 following the end of the trials. She will be given a Brave Axe+, Draconic Aura and Drag back and join my main roster.

Notable Banes of my Existence

Spoiler

Jaffar: The ultimate counter to my Veronica slayer team. He was too fast to double, could oneshot anyone on the team, and couldn't be OHKO'ed by anything except Tharja Vengance at 1 HP. If Nino's team faced him and it wasn't on the final stage, the run was over.

Robin: One of my overall banes for my runs. He made things tough for team B since Kagero couldn't handle him and there was no green unit. Even on a team with a Green if he was positioned properly or they were too busy, he could ruin the run.

Henry: A potential issue, particularly for the Veronica team, but he could be dispatched, had to watch out for that G-Tomebreaker though.

Raigh: Only an alarm for team A, he would sometimes pop up and one shot Xander cause I would forget about his tome.

Reinhardt/Olwen: Teams A and C trivialize them, but team B had no counter to mage cavalry or reliable greens, so one of them could potentially ruin a run if not dealt with quickly and carefully. There was one run that had them both in the same stage, the B team immediately fell apart.

Eldigan: His combat power wasn't really an issue, but that lunge passive killed me on MORE than one occasion, effectively screwing my strategy for the next turn or positioning my units right into death. Forgetting he had that skill really ruined runs. Gwendolyn and Draug's skills were troublesome but never as much as Eldigan.

Lilina: That attack power is just absurd. Underestimating it led to units being oneshot a lot more than they should have been. After a certain point, I made killing her immediately a priority as long as their weren't more dangerous units on the field.

Celica: Not a problem on the final stages where I surrender and weaken all the units, but a particularly annoying issue in the middle of runs when Ragnarok further buffs her already inflated stats. She couldn't be ORKO'ed without a skill proc and even then it might not kill her.

Felicia: Mage slayer, she was pesky if my Physical units were still alive, but for mages she was terror in a maid's uniform. At one point I experimented with an all mage team, she appeared on stage 3 of that run and single-handedly destroyed the entire team.

Klein: An alarming unit. If he was -ATK or Neutral it was one thing, but if he was +SPD or +ATK he could damage Xander or even Lukas in some situations and if he could double, he could proc Glacies and oneshot my tanks. Any strategy had to be immediately changed if he was there.

Rebecca: An annoyingly sturdy unit. She was fast, could double just about anything (but B!Caeda) and was tough to boot. She couldn't touch the physical units most of the time but was always perfectly positioned to OHKO my mages.

Ninan: Would sometimes dance just the right unit into the death of one of mine, annoying and couldn't be oneshot.

Nowi/F!Corrin: Distant Counter and AoE buffs make for a bad day. Typically handled well but bundled with the right units (read: others on this list) generally spell disaster.

Nino: She was rarely a big issue during the second half of the trials but was a terror for the first. She could be handled quickly, but had to be or she would sneak up and kill one of my units, and she certainly could.

ANY unit with WoM: Screw you.

This mode completely changed how I play FEH. It made me optimize, make better choices, finally use positioning skills, use better team composition, use SI, everything. After playing through the Tempest Trials everything (except Infernal Legion..) feels somewhat easy. Even the 10th stratum feels doable now.

When the trials come around again, I'll be ready. That being said, I hope it's a Bi-Monthly thing every other month and the Voting Gauntlet will take it's spot next month, I don't think I have the mental constitution for this every month.

That being said, GG Tempest Trials. Come back soon, but not too soon.

Edited by Zeo

28 minutes ago, Zeo said:

... I hope it's a Bi-Monthly thing...

I actually hope it is a bimonthly thing, happening twice every month. If it keeps the current format, then it is even better since I do not have to come up with newer and better strategies.

I think the phrase you are looking for is "every other month."

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

I actually hope it is a bimonthly thing, happening twice every month. If it keeps the current format, then it is even better since I do not have to come up with newer and better strategies.

I think the phrase you are looking for is "every other month."

Ah, yes you are correct. Pardon.

Just now, Othin said:

Seems you're both right.

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 9.55.07 PM.png

That is even better if they can do Tempest Trials twice a month and TWO Tempest Trials at the same time every other month. More Orbs, Feathers, Seals, and Sp!

Ugh...no. Too often would pretty much take out my little interest in playing the game. That or just ignoring the mode since I want to train up units. Tempest was just too repetitive for my taste. 

15 hours ago, XRay said:

That is even better if they can do Tempest Trials twice a month and TWO Tempest Trials at the same time every other month. More Orbs, Feathers, Seals, and Sp!

Kill me.

I have a full time job, take care of my fiance, and played the Tempest Trials for two accounts and whatever else they had for quests.

I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking is absolutely disregarding people outside of the super hardcore audience that have a lot more time on their hands to play games.

2 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

how can it be better when it doesn't give prizes worth winning.

The Feathers and Orbs are definitely worth it. You cannot get those from the Training Tower. It also gives a lot more SP than the Training Tower too.

Edited by XRay

14 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

how can it be better when it doesn't give prizes worth winning.

It's about 3x more efficient for SP and HM grinding than Training Tower.

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

6 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

It's about 3x more efficient for SP and HM grinding than Training Tower.

sp and hm can only motivate me so much, and my good characters are nearly fully inherited thanks to the last one.

3 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I think making it once every other month or even once every three months would be enough for me. I like some downtime in games to level up units and focus on other things.

To be fair, once your teams get strong enough to where you can consistently do deathless Lunatic runs, you only need to play at 30% stamina efficiency to get the 50k seal without spending any stamina potions. 

Which means you can spend 70% of your stamina during an ongoing Tempest just leveling your units and doing quests like normal! (or just let your stamina overflow if you don't feel like playing)

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

To be fair, once your teams get strong enough to where you can consistently do deathless Lunatic runs, you only need to play at 30% stamina efficiency to get the 50k seal without spending any stamina potions. 

Which means you can spend 70% of your stamina during an ongoing Tempest just leveling your units and doing quests like normal! (or just let your stamina overflow if you don't feel like playing)

I got there easily enough, once I had it down to an almost t. I don't think I'll ever be good enough to do deathless with a bonus unit, but 670 per run wasn't bad. 

I do think, though, that having it too often would increase burnout, despite how good it is for HM and SP. I liked it, personally, and would go for it whenever it's on. At least now I know how high I can get without stamina potions, I won't feel so pressured to only do that and nothing else :) 

19 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I got there easily enough, once I had it down to an almost t. I don't think I'll ever be good enough to do deathless with a bonus unit, but 670 per run wasn't bad. 

I do think, though, that having it too often would increase burnout, despite how good it is for HM and SP. I liked it, personally, and would go for it whenever it's on. At least now I know how high I can get without stamina potions, I won't feel so pressured to only do that and nothing else :) 

I definitely did notice that burnout was a problem for a lot of people. 

Ice and I (and maybe some other people) suggested that they add an additional tier that costs triple stamina for triple points (at the cost of being less SP/HM efficient) to alleviate burnout, so hopefully Nintendo implements something like that in future Tempest Trials (assuming this becomes a recurring thing). 

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I definitely did notice that burnout was a problem for a lot of people. 

Ice and I (and maybe some other people) suggested that they add an additional tier that costs triple stamina for triple points (at the cost of being less SP/HM efficient) to alleviate burnout, so hopefully Nintendo implements something like that in future Tempest Trials (assuming this becomes a recurring thing). 

Oh yes, I'd definitely like to see that, especially since all my dancers and my two main fighters have now maxed HM and have way too much SP, so there's no reason for me to grind with them... and I don't want another team because I tried that at the end and it was nowhere near as efficient.