Just got this game and I like it a lot so far.

9 minutes ago, Jyron Stone said:

>not bothering to check your unit commands to find Recover
>not making someone a magic user when Mages are a historically good class line
>not wanting to restart when you're only on the third map fight in the game, which would only take about half an hour to reach again since you know the dialogue and item locations this time
>thinking Clerics in this game are unusably squishy when they all have baseline Nosferatu to use on the Enemy Phase

Thanks for the laughs. As for the Archer, are you sure he's not camping on a Mountain or Supplies? Otherwise he really should be dying to being mobbed like that.

Is making fun of me really fucking necessary?

I saw Recover, but couldn't figure out how to use it.

Also, imo, mages are generally bad. They're usually really squishy and slow. I don't use many in the series for this reason. I wish I didn't have to use any in this game, honestly.

I still JUST did those few fights and don't want to redo them already.

Mountains increase avoid? That explains it, he was on a mountain. How was I supposed to know, mountains didn't affect avoid in other games and he was hitting my units just fine even after I had them move onto the mountain as well.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, imo, mages are generally bad. They're usually really squishy and slow. I don't use many in the series for this reason. I wish I didn't have to use any in this game, honestly.

Mountains increase avoid? That explains it, he was on a mountain. How was I supposed to know, mountains didn't affect avoid in other games and he was hitting my units just fine even after I had them move onto the mountain as well.

This game isn't Tellius, (or like the rest of the series actually, we keep trying to tell you so if you don't listen to general advice you will open yourself to getting lit up), so mages are not bad in this game. In fact, with them ignoring terrain, they have almost never been better. Generally they may be bad to you, but again: GAIDEN IS NOT GENERALLY.

Also, Kliff has pretty decent DEF growth and as a mage he was tied through the entire first chapter as my highest def unit. He still is pretty up thereĀ 

And yes. Mountains have always done that for units who can stand on them. See brigands in FE6/7.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Is making fun of me really fucking necessary?

I saw Recover, but couldn't figure out how to use it.

I still JUST did those few fights and don't want to redo them already.

Mountains increase avoid? That explains it, he was on a mountain. How was I supposed to know, mountains didn't affect avoid in other games.

A little bit. Not checking your unit commands with your one healer and then complaining that it's the game's fault for not holding your hand is a bit much.

You must have really shit luck with mages then, my condolences. They're amazing. S/O to my boi Pent.

Mountains increase avoid in EVERY FE game lmao

5 minutes ago, Jyron Stone said:

A little bit. Not checking your unit commands with your one healer and then complaining that it's the game's fault for not holding your hand is a bit much.

You must have really shit luck with mages then, my condolences. They're amazing. S/O to my boi Pent.

Mountains increase avoid in EVERY FE game lmao

Still doesn't make it right to laugh at me instead of simply pointing out my mistake. And by posting "lmao" you're still laughing at me. How nice of you.

6 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

This game isn't Tellius, (or like the rest of the series actually, we keep trying to tell you so if you don't listen to general advice you will open yourself to getting lit up), so mages are not bad in this game. In fact, with them ignoring terrain, they have almost never been better. Generally they may be bad to you, but again: GAIDEN IS NOT GENERALLY.

Also, Kliff has pretty decent DEF growth and as a mage he was tied through the entire first chapter as my highest def unit. He still is pretty up thereĀ 

And yes. Mountains have always done that for units who can stand on them. See brigands in FE6/7.

I'm aware it's different. I heard about it being different beforehand. But I guess I didn't expect it to be THAT different.

Mages and their squishiness can be fixed here, since you don't need Tomes, you can have them hold shields or rings, with the former buffing up their defense a lot! That leather shield is pretty good as a reference!

Just now, Doof said:

Mages and their squishiness can be fixed here, since you don't need Tomes, you can have them hold shields or rings, with the former buffing up their defense a lot! That leather shield is pretty good as a reference!

Though, magic costing HP does cut into that a little bit I guess.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Though, magic costing HP does cut into that a little bit I guess.

A little, haha. But then again, even your beefier units can get worn down if they don't avoid and if they get doubled.Ā 

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They're usually really squishy and slow.

They're only really slow in Tellius. Ā The GBA games and Awakening have pretty fast mages in general aside from Lilina, and they aren't exactly slow in Jugdral either. Ā There are some slow mages elsewhere but it's hardly a rule for the class.

I heard the thing about magic costing HP, but never knew if it was changed for the remake. I guess it wasn't which is disappointing. That makes me want to use mages less because I just know I'll get them killed because they lost too much HP attacking to take another hit from the enemy.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Promotion helps that a lot. Sages kinda rule with their recovery and magic boost.

I adore my mage ring Kliff haha

Sure, late game it gets a lot better. I like the Priestesses more though.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I heard the thing about magic costing HP, but never knew if it was changed for the remake. I guess it wasn't which is disappointing. That makes me want to use mages less because I just know I'll get them killed because they lost too much HP attacking to take another hit from the enemy.

It's not as bad as you might think. TheĀ costs aren't that drastic, it's only 1-3ish Ā HP depending on the spell (there are more expensive ones that cost 4-8 I think). It's pretty easy to heal up with food (which is pretty abundant). There are also rings and skills that can be learned that heal per turn later on.Ā 

Just now, Anacybele said:

You might be surprised just how little this ends up hurting most mages in the long run. Most spells only cost betweenĀ 1 and 8 HP, with the highest cost spell being 10 and by the time you get these spells I find that it hardly matters between the naturally decent HP pools and (in my case at least because I am using all the mages I can) backup who can heal the cost of the higher damage spells. With one exception all of my mages can take at least a couple of hits from most enemies or the wonky hit rate of the game prevents them from being hit at all.

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Sure, late game it gets a lot better. I like the Priestesses more though.

I think I like Delthea more than just about everyone else lol

She was a surprise hit for me, I didn't think I'd love her as much but I do. Also love Mae & Celica.

On the other hand Kliff/Tobin are probably the only good sages and you pick 1 over the other generally.

36 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

For this very reason is why having two healers is a great boon.

'Course, even without this, you can also alleviate that problemĀ by having them eat food

Mages losing HP is a non-issue, but if you're still having trouble, just throw a shield on them.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

What FE games have you played? Mountains have always given Avoid, even in Awakening and Fates.

Ā 

Mages are pretty great in general, but Gaiden especially gives you a host of reasons to run magically-oriented units in your team: flat hit rates that ignore terrain, targeting the horrible Res stat on most enemies save Dread Fighters, and their high Mt and range in lategame if you pack a Mage Ring--it adds +2 range which lets you bypass even other ranged weapons besides bows without getting hit.

I played through the game on Hard, and I made the same mistake you did by not making any of my villagers a mage. I ended up having to form a wall around Silque and let her heal Lucas and Gray as they continuously got doubled while dealing 1 damage back. Nobody died, of course, but it was pretty painful nonetheless. Not making Faye a cleric was another mistake, but you get Tatiana later anyway so it ended up being fine.

Don't be so adamant about not using multiple mages and healers. Maybe you'll change your mind when you run into 20 Def Barons and Fiends that your heaviest physical hittersĀ average about 1-6 damage against, while base Delthea can ORKO themĀ without gettingĀ hit. Just a thought.

Ā 

Also, mountains always gave avoid in FE games.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I don't like this game anymore. It suddenly got extremely hard and this is normal difficulty. I've been playing FE for a long time, I shouldn't be having a hard time on the easiest difficulty. I don't like games that do this to you. Nearly every fucking attack misses the archer and he was never even in trees. You can hardly damage the mercenary guy here at all because of his shield thing. What a load of crap. I don't want that.

I decided against making Faye a Cleric because you already get Silque (who picked that name? It's dumb). I'd rather not have many healers because they die easily. So I won't ever be making Faye one.

Also, I don't see a command to heal anyone on the Cleric class anyway. That's poor design if I'm having trouble figuring out how to make them fucking heal of all things.

If we're talking about the map immediately after the mercenary "god", that particular archer is standing upon a supplies tile onto which he moves on the first enemy phase.Ā  This tile not only heals each enemy phase, but also gives the archer a forty avoid bonus on top of having a steel bow, making him not only hit hard, but also hitting up to four spaces away iirc.Ā  Pretty tough enemy to take down, although I imagine setting Alm up with a leather shield or an archer up with a leather shield and a more defensively blessed alm with an iron sword (if you have one that is) would be able to take him with some effort if you lack a mage at this point.Ā  Something else to note is that in every castle (at least as far as act 3 thus far) there are tile... tiles that give twenty avoid.Ā  This is found in every tile in castles except for stairs... this can significantly slow down the pace of gameplay without either using magic (mages/cleric nosferatus) or hit rate boosting supports (I love the boosts Tobin gives Kliff for a reference to this).

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Mages won't use spells if they lack the HP for it, even in counter attacking!

19 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I can't wait until she gets to Desert/Swamps and Cantors. The game hasn't even gotten to the hard parts yet.

I can't wait to see Ana's reaction to the witches.

1 hour ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

Darn it @Anacybele, you beat me to it.

I only got the game last week. Played it non-stop. Kliff is practically the Leo of Gaiden. Or Leo is the Kliff of Fates?Ā 

Also, for your future reference, Heal = W.Magic

You mean they're both terrible in their own games?

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 hour ago, Jave said:

I can't wait to see Ana's reaction to the witches.

Or any desert map.

Or Grieth's Fortress.

Or any lategame map really.

There's so much Gaiden has in store for Ana yet, if it's this bad already.