Just got this game and I like it a lot so far.

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I don't like this game anymore. It suddenly got extremely hard and this is normal difficulty. I've been playing FE for a long time, I shouldn't be having a hard time on the easiest difficulty. I don't like games that do this to you. Nearly every fucking attack misses the archer and he was never even in trees. You can hardly damage the mercenary guy here at all because of his shield thing. What a load of crap. I don't want that.

You'll need more resolve than this. Echoes is a series of challenges that really make you consider your options. The merc is fast, and has high defense. Try going at him with magic. Instead of attacking with physical units, use them to surround the merc (so that he can't move), or surround your mages so that they can't be targeted by him.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

As for Faye, her DEF growth is bananas and with a leather shield she has higher def than most of my other units (as a cleric, mind you). She's really useful early on, but she's falling behind pretty hard. Physic is great due to cleric's low mov and silque appreciates being healed as healing also costs HP. Silque ends up a lot better when she can invoke DF's tho.

Huh? Faye is pretty much the second best Cleric/Saint in the game, arguably the best considering availability. Physic and Rescue, strong growths for combat, and present as soon as Thief Shrine. Silque's Warp got nerfed, and DF Invoke is only situationally useful, since the whole point of Invoke is just to have stuff die in place of a unit.

Too many people are quoting/replying at once, and there's no way I can keep up, so I'm not even going to bother quoting anyone here.

I'll just say that it's too late to make Faye anything else, and I don't have a mage right now, so no magic available to me. Kliff isn't leveled enough to be made one. So it looks like I simply screwed myself already and can't continue. I don't want to start the game over either when I've already done a few fights.

And white magic is healing? Game didn't make that obvious at all. Again, poor design.

Also, I didn't mean that this game should be EASY because of my FE experience, I meant that it shouldn't be really hard on the easiest difficulty. Not necessarily that it should be easy.

Edited by Anacybele

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'd rather not have many healers because they die easily. So I won't ever be making Faye one.

Faye isn't your typical healer. She'll consistently have pretty high Defense for a Cleric. My Faye currently has like 12 Defense and that's without a shield. On the other hand, Silque only have 5 Defense, so she needed a shield.

Faye can heal back any damage with Nosferatu, which is normally unreliable, but when she Supports with Alm, Nosferatu becomes reliable. 80% accuracy at A-Rank Support with Alm.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Huh? Faye is pretty much the second best Cleric/Saint in the game, arguably the best considering availability. Physic and Rescue, strong growths for combat, and present as soon as Thief Shrine. Silque's Warp got nerfed, and DF Invoke is only situationally useful, since the whole point of Invoke is just to have stuff die in place of a unit.

Mine may have gotten screwed, but she's OK. I waited till 20 to promote her and other than defense her other stats are barely cracking 10. Offense is at 22 as a level 8 saint. She can Seraphim and Physic. 

Warp is more useful than rescue, and DF's do dodge from time to time which makes them the best summons as they do their job for that much longer. Again is interesting, but I could have another combat unit instead that doesn't need to be babied afterwards, and I now have backup healing with Kliff/Delthea.

My point isn't that Faye is bad, she is just a lot less useful then she was in chapters 1/3. Not making Faye a cleric doesn't really cripple anyone in any sense.

If you aren't willing to start over your best hope is use Silque's Nosferatu against the Merc and hope you can kill him with 60 hit rate haha

I honestly didn't find the game too hard so far, and I'm in Act 4 but I realize mileage may vary. I got used to it pretty easily, especially since I always take my time to mess with the interface before going into battle. (That's how I learned White Magic is healing; in Silque's status screen on the touch screen I saw "Recover" and it had a white book symbol which matched with the "White Magic" symbol.)

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Kliff isn't leveled enough to be made one.

Back out of the story fight, get some random encounters in the Thief Shrine to try and get Kliff to level 3 for promotion.  It shouldn't take too long.  The Merc exists to basically tell you that you'll need a mage.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And white magic is healing? Game didn't make that obvious at all. Again, poor design.

What did you expect it to be?  White magic being healing/support is a pretty common trope in RPGs.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Mine may have gotten screwed, but she's OK. I waited till 20 to promote her and other than defense her other stats are barely cracking 10. Offense is at 22 as a level 8 saint. She can Seraphim and Physic. 

Warp is more useful than rescue, and DF's do dodge from time to time which makes them the best summons as they do their job for that much longer. Again is interesting, but I could have another combat unit instead that doesn't need to be babied afterwards, and I now have backup healing with Kliff/Delthea.

My point isn't that Faye is bad, she is just a lot less useful then she was in chapters 1/3. Not making Faye a cleric doesn't really cripple anyone in any sense.

Warp's Atk/2 range is so bad that it's seriously hard for Silque to be relevant in Ch 1 and 3 without spending fountain boosts and some help from RNG. By the time Silque's Warp range gets better, you'll get Tatiana soon, a much better Warper. Silque is just not particularly good at any point except Nuibaba Mansion.

And honestly, without mad grinding, you'll never get Faye's Anew or Silque's Invoke anyway, so it's kinda moot.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Too many people are quoting/replying at once, and there's no way I can keep up, so I'm not even going to bother quoting anyone here.

I'll just say that it's too late to make Faye anything else, and I don't have a mage right now, so no magic available to me. Kliff isn't leveled enough to be made one. So it looks like I simply screwed myself already and can't continue. I don't want to start the game over either when I've already done a few fights.

Also, I didn't mean that this game should be EASY because of my FE experience, I meant that it shouldn't be really hard on the easiest difficulty. Not necessarily that it should be easy.

You can make it just fine without Faye being a cleric. I made mine a Pegasus knight too, and she has made an excellent bench warmer for the bulk of my run.

Just go back and grind in the dungeon if necessary to get Kliff those last few levels it really is not difficult unless you're doing a no grinding run.

White magic being healing is something that pops up in a LOT of other fantasy media, it's one of those things that is well known enough that I can see why the developers didn't feel a need to point it out. 

1 minute ago, DarkLordIvy said:

You can make it just fine without Faye being a cleric. I made mine a Pegasus knight too, and she has made an excellent bench warmer for the bulk of my run.

Just go back and grind in the dungeon if necessary to get Kliff those last few levels it really is not difficult unless you're doing a no grinding run.

White magic being healing is something that pops up in a LOT of other fantasy media, it's one of those things that is well known enough that I can see why the developers didn't feel a need to point it out. 

You could just get a Pitchfork and use it on Faye or any other unit

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Warp's Atk/2 range is so bad that it's seriously hard for Silque to be relevant in Ch 1 and 3 without spending fountain boosts and some help from RNG. By the time Silque's Warp range gets better, you'll get Tatiana soon, a much better Warper. Silque is just not particularly good at any point except Nuibaba Mansion.

And honestly, without mad grinding, you'll never get Faye's Anew or Silque's Invoke anyway, so it's kinda moot.

We're all taking Genny to Thabes anyway, so this is six to one half dozen to another. Picking Cleric Faye made things easier, yes. She didn't break the game in anyway, and not picking cleric Faye is definitely a viable option if you have other plans for her. That's all I'm trying to say, please don't aggressively LTC me to death.

Also, clerics are easy to grind up compared to other classes as even on 1 turn clears they can get that extra HP by waste healing. They were the only units I was able to wait until they hit 20 before promoting because more often then not they were ahead without me trying extra hard.

2 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

I don't want to bench Faye though, I wanted a Pegasus knight to use.

I went back through that dungeon before, there were no bad guys left.

Well, I didn't know what it was at all, so imo, the devs should've pointed it out.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

We're all taking Genny to Thabes anyway, so this is six to one half dozen to another. Picking Cleric Faye made things easier, yes. She didn't break the game in anyway, and not picking cleric Faye is definitely a viable option if you have other plans for her. That's all I'm trying to say, please don't aggressively LTC me to death.

Also, clerics are easy to grind up compared to other classes as even on 1 turn clears they can get that extra HP by waste healing. They were the only units I was able to wait until they hit 20 before promoting because more often then not they were ahead without me trying extra hard.

I'm no LTCer. Cleric Faye is much more useful than Silque is all I'm saying.

I actually brought Tatiana and Faye to Thabes. Warp + Rescue, Invoke, Fortify. Got everything.

40 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I don't like this game anymore. It suddenly got extremely hard and this is normal difficulty. I've been playing FE for a long time, I shouldn't be having a hard time on the easiest difficulty. I don't like games that do this to you.1. Nearly every fucking attack misses the archer and he was never even in trees. 2.You can hardly damage the mercenary guy here at all because of his shield thing. What a load of crap. I don't want that.

3.I decided against making Faye a Cleric because you already get Silque (who picked that name? It's dumb). I'd rather not have many healers because they die easily. So I won't ever be making Faye one.

4.Also, I don't see a command to heal anyone on the Cleric class anyway. That's poor design if I'm having trouble figuring out how to make them fucking heal of all things.

1. This game is isn't a liar with RNG

2.  MAGES ARE A GODSEND.  This game often tries to act like a puzzle when it comes to defeating units. It either goes well and makes you feel smart or bad.

3. Bad mistake, Faye can get a spell not unlike dancing. Healers are okay with res and they can counterattack with NOSFERATU. So they have good enough survivability. The name does suck though.

4. W. Magic, You'll get used to it.

BTW I am also playing on normal and on act 4.

Edited by ThatOneWeakArcher

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I didn't know what it was at all, so imo, the devs should've pointed it out.

You get another Pegasus Knight that outclasses her pretty soon but like other said, Faye can be anything you want but she doesn't compete with anyone as a Cleric for a long time.

Huh, that's weird... I'm pretty sure they do respawn after you leave the screen (like, leave the dungeon, go into the Mila Statue screen) especially since you can get a Sidequest in Ram Village to kill 20 bandits.

9 minutes ago, Midnight Torch said:

You could just get a Pitchfork and use it on Faye or any other unit

Oh I know I just don't really care for Faye as a character, and she ended up outclassed pretty quickly by Clair stat-wise anyway. I'm making due just fine, I just find it kind of amusing.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You by no means have to bench Faye and I've seen plenty of people get a lot of mileage out of her as a pegasus knight. You'll be getting a second one in I think two chapters anyway so more flying horsies all around!

You might have to run in circles a few times but they will spawn pretty regularly. Over by the cart near the shrine if I recall correctly.

I'm not faulting you for not knowing, and maybe they should have mentioned that yes white magic= healing. I'm just saying it isn't necessarily bad game design. I probably should have put that directly into my original post.

Edited by DarkLordIvy

3 minutes ago, Doof said:

You get another Pegasus Knight that outclasses her pretty soon but like other said, Faye can be anything you want but she doesn't compete with anyone as a Cleric for a long time.

Huh, that's weird... I'm pretty sure they do respawn after you leave the screen (like, leave the dungeon, go into the Mila Statue screen) especially since you can get a Sidequest in Ram Village to kill 20 bandits.

Yay, the more Pegs, the better to me! :P Though since they're weak to archers and archers have a ridiculous range in this game, I wouldn't use too many at once.

Oh, I see then.

Thing is, I saved right after I went into that battle with the mercenary guy and the seemingly unhittable archer (seriously, I had multiple units try to attack him, and he dodged nearly every attack. And as I said, he wasn't in trees. Wtf was up with this? My units never had such a poor hitrate before). I don't know if I can back out of it now.

Though since they're weak to archers and archers have a ridiculous range in this game, I wouldn't use too many at once.

I have some fantastic news for you! The majority of enemy archers you fight actually do not do extra damage to flying units. You just have to keep an eye out for the few that do have the anti-flyer skill.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Yay, the more Pegs, the better to me! :P Though since they're weak to archers and archers have a ridiculous range in this game, I wouldn't use too many at once.

Actually, by default, Archers don't deal bonus damage to fliers. Only when the Archer is equipped with a non-generic Bow. The game will let you know if there's an Archer with the Anti-Flier Art.

Thing is, I saved right after I went into that battle with the mercenary guy and the seemingly unhittable archer (seriously, I had multiple units try to attack him, and he dodged nearly every attack. And as I said, he wasn't in trees. Wtf was up with this? My units never had such a poor hitrate before). I don't know if I can back out of it now.

You can retreat from any battle at the start of the third turn. Even on super important battles, you can retreat. You can't retreat from the final battle of the game or any required dungeon fight though.

Oh, I see then.

Oh, archers aren't naturally effective against fliers in this game unless they have the Anti-Flier skill in their skill list and if I recall correctly, that skill is not in a lot of enemy archers until Act 4 (it still exists, so make sure to check before putting a flying horse in range haha).

If you saved during the preparation screen, you should be able to back out; I think its the Exit option in the preparation screen. Also, if you manage to last three turns, you can Retreat from a battle using the Menu any time.

Glad to see you finally get the game Anacybele! It's undoubtedly become at least my second favorite fire emblem game *though over the ones I've played, not really a whole lot of competition given awakening, fates, sacred stones, and shadow dragon* 

Gray as a mercenary works pretty great, as he's pretty good for me.

I also made Tobin an archer, he's okay at least but he's actually way outshined by Python on mine *once I gave him an iron bow so he could hit stuff, he became my best archer, he practically soloed Thabes boss*

I made Kliff a mage, he does well though obviously outclassed by a later mage *especially since I gave her the starsphere I got from grinding in the dlc item map*

And Faye, I made her a mage and she did well for a time, but I'm considering reclassing her to Cleric just due to her exclusive spell and the fact I got multiple mages in my army and only three clerics.

Of the pegs I have, Clair is by far the best *level 20 falcon knight with Gradivus makes her pretty strong*

Anyways hope you enjoy the game! If you need some advice I have beaten it so I can maybe offer a few suggestions if you get stuck.

Edited by LucarioGamer812
Forgot Genny existed

Oh, first game I heard of where archers don't automatically deal bonus damage to fliers... Nice to know though. Also nice to know that I can back out of most fights if I find trouble.

I do like the dungeon crawling quite a bit, which I knew I would because I'm a Zelda fangirl. :P I feel like this game is how an FE/Zelda crossover would end up being like, in fact.

>not bothering to check your unit commands to find Recover
>not making someone a magic user when Mages are a historically good class line
>not wanting to restart when you're only on the third map fight in the game, which would only take about half an hour to reach again since you know the dialogue and item locations this time
>thinking Clerics in this game are unusably squishy when they all have baseline Nosferatu to use on the Enemy Phase

Thanks for the laughs. As for the Archer, are you sure he's not camping on a Mountain or Supplies? Otherwise he really should be dying to being mobbed like that.

Yeah, its a game that plays a lot with familiar FE conventions so its still surprising sometimes for many of us. There are unfortunately some frustrating things we can't help you with (Witches' weird AI, desert maps being a slog, swamps being annoying, Cantors....) but if you ever need more help we can always lend a hand.

Just... ignore the bundle of sunshine up there, green arrowing his way to ignore land,

Edited by Doof

I do like the dungeon crawling quite a bit, which I knew I would because I'm a Zelda fangirl. :P I feel like this game is how an FE/Zelda crossover would end up being like, in fact.

Please keep playing through the game with an open mind, instead of raging against badass leather shield mercenaries (which, interestingly enough, is good game design as it shows how important magic is very early on). You might find that you love it (or hate it) for all of the things it does differently.

One thing is for sure: it IS different. Whether you like it at the end of the day is up to you. I love it!