FE1 guide

Harvey

So I've decided to play the first FE game out there and I've beaten chapter 1. This here is gonna be my main post for asking guidance on how to beat this game and some tricks and tips to know if possible.

Ok so now I'm in chapter 2. Any advices?

EDIT: ok I managed to beat chapter 2 fairly easily and got Rif to lv 20...

Also, how does promotion work in this game?

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Invest exp on Cain, Abel and Hardin, and Marth.

Dump every stat booster you can on Marth. Combined with his fantastic growths he can realistically cap his stats and trivialize maps.

Barst is good for killing bosses with his Hammer. Use him.

Wendell is the best, use him. Don't bother to train Lena, she can warp and hammerne without leveling up once.

Give Shiida Jeigan's Silver Lance. She can use it immediately.

If enemy thieves manage to steal anything that seems important, restart. You can't get it back from them sadly.

As the user above said, Wendell is great as a staff bot. Lena is too without any training necessary to use the best staffs.

As for promotion, units need specific items. Cavs use Knight Crests, Mercs use Hero Crests, Archers use Orion's Bolt, Mages and Priests use Bishop Rings and Peg Knights use Dragon Whips (Note I believe in the current translation, the Whip is called Dragon while the Dracoshield, the stat booster, is called Draco. Try not to mess up, like I did and waste your +3 Def boost on Shiida when Marth could have used it). Like usual, units promote at level 10 and above. All their stats will increase to the base stats of their promoted class. So if you Ogma has 20 HP while promoting, his HP stat will go up to 24.

I'm pretty sure it's this game, but magic has fixed damage (Based on MT). So if you use any mages, their Str stat does not matter. Linde and Merric are by far the best Mages because of their Prf tomes. LInde always does 20 damage since barely any units have Res and Merric always does 13, but he also has an innate 20% Crt thanks to Excalibur. Just make sure to save their tomes.

Max stats are all 20 while HP is 52.

Marth and Shiida pretty much recruit every unit.The only units not recrited by them are Machis, recruited by Lena, Astria, recruited by Midia and Tiki, recruited by Bantu.

Edited by Azz

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

What about riff? I just got him to lv 20....

Leveling up healers is a complete waste of time considering you get prepromotes that can use staffs very easily and lena that has a great wpn lvl.

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

What about riff? I just got him to lv 20....

Not gonna sugar coat it, you just wasted your time...

I suppose he could turn out well promoted, since Bishops have base 10 Wlv and base 14 Spd so he can innately use every tome in the game except Excalibur and Aura obviously since they are Prf weapons and he can double every thing except Heroes, Snipers and other Bishops. But Wendell will probably be better to use since he has overall better growths for your staff user, or just use base Lena. 

So now I'm in chapter 5 where I'm talked about Hardin showing up.

So two questions...

1. What is the use of thieves in this game?

2. Where do I get promotional items and does this game also give an effect that you lose bonus stats if you promote early?

Also, I'd like a list of units worth training in this game since...well the units here don't talk much. I will say that Barst is awesome!

1) Opening chests if Marth has other stuff to do, or opening doors.

2) The first one you get is a Hero Crest in chapter 10. You'll get them gradually over time. Much later on there's a secret shop that sells them. I'm pretty sure the game just raises your stats to the bases of the class you're promoting to rather than giving you promotion gains. Not all classes can promote though. Fighters and armor knights can't for example.

Barst is good. So is Caeda, Cain, Abel, and Minerva is really good too later on. Wendell and Jagen also don't really lose steam.

Really though Marth is the best unit. He has good growths and has the Marthdar going for him (given a choice of attacking any other ally or Marth all enemies will attack Marth) for strategic purposes.

Other units worth it IMO are Navarre, Merrich and Linde. Navarre has really good growths all around with the exception of Defense. Ogma is good too, but Navarre is way better. Both can be used though. Merrich and Linde have the privilege of having Prf weapons that are really good too. Don't waste them though.

Julian would be handy to train since you'll want to have a thief around for chests. Julian also has pretty good growths too, with the exception of Wlv for some stupid reason. I guess you could say the same for Ricardo, but he is not the best.

Wold and Zagardo are pretty decent too being your only Horseman since Hunters cant promote for some shitty reason. Wolf especially since his Str growth is really good. Hardin too. In fact most of your mounted units are good by privilege of having a good Mov, sword and lance access so they have a wide variety of weapons and their bases when they promote are decent too.

6 hours ago, Azz said:

Merrich and Linde have the privilege of having Prf weapons that are really good too. Don't waste them though.

I did arena abuse with him upto lv 6...and his weapon usage is bit low. Does this game sell books as well?

Currently my entire team is around lv 6 and i'm aware that like Athos in Fe7, Gotoh can travlize the end game....right?

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Gotoh can travlize the end game....right?

He's pretty nice, several capped stats and all others are good too. He even has 7 Resistance! The only unit to join with any. And his starting stuff is swell.

That said, the design of the final map is much different from FE7's, you've got your units spread out into three groups- you can't be quite as reliant on a single character. And Gotoh can't even harm Medeus in the original (at least from afar) due to the Earth Dragonstone's effects. That said, Marth will have zero problems chopping the Earth Dragon to bits with Falchion.

Also, there is a shop list here on SF under the appropriate section (people should use all the useful complied information here). Looks like Chapter 8 is the first to sell tomes.

I noticed that so far, there hasn't been enemy reinforcements.....is this apparent for the entire game?

Also, I've heard that the Fire Emblem can be used to unlock chests. If that's the case, then why need Thieves?

EDIT: I didn't realize till now that I just killed two recruitable units.....Either the translation here is bad or that the game is so damn cryptic to make you figure out who is needed to recruit who.

Edited by Harvey

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

I noticed that so far, there hasn't been enemy reinforcements.....is this apparent for the entire game?

Also, I've heard that the Fire Emblem can be used to unlock chests. If that's the case, then why need Thieves?

EDIT: I didn't realize till now that I just killed two recruitable units.....Either the translation here is bad or that the game is so damn cryptic to make you figure out who is needed to recruit who.

You need thieves since Marth is also the only one who can visit houses and also is the only one who can seize and I doubt you wanna spend 5 turns moving Marth from a chest at the the other side of the map to the throne to seize.

Vendors start to appear later on and they sell fairly good spells.

I can't say much about reinforcements since it has been a while I played an Archanean game so yeah...

As for the characters, I can't say who you might of killed, but most characters are recruited by Marth or Sheeda and with the exception of like three units, being Machis, recruited by Lena, Astria, recruited by Midia and Tiki, recruited by Bantu. Just refer to the Recruitment page on the main site.

For the characters that I killed, I think its Doras and Mirah...Lena's brother I think?

But yeah, I guess I look into the recruitment page from now on....damn, despite the game not having any dialogues, I feel bad killing those two. :(

With Daros, yo aren't missing much. He can't promote and Barst is a better axe user any ways. Yeah he can cross water, but it gets to a point in the game where there is no water. Same with Lena's brother. He is a sub par cavalier in a game filled with better cavaliers.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

For the characters that I killed, I think its Doras and Mirah...Lena's brother I think?

But yeah, I guess I look into the recruitment page from now on....damn, despite the game not having any dialogues, I feel bad killing those two. :(

You basically got to the point in the game where you recruited every unit that'll go to endgame. every other unit you'll get from now on are replacement if said unit dies. don't bother with any of them if they cant use staves.

20 minutes ago, Kirb1337 said:

You basically got to the point in the game where you recruited every unit that'll go to endgame. every other unit you'll get from now on are replacement if said unit dies. don't bother with any of them if they cant use staves.

??? 

Ok I think you're mixed up that I'm playing Shadow Dragon here. I'm playing the first NES one....

1 hour ago, Azz said:

With Daros, yo aren't missing much. He can't promote and Barst is a better axe user any ways. Yeah he can cross water, but it gets to a point in the game where there is no water. Same with Lena's brother. He is a sub par cavalier in a game filled with better cavaliers.

B-But I just can't stand the pain of killing those innocent units....although there is no sign of death quotes....

31 minutes ago, Harvey said:

??? 

Ok I think you're mixed up that I'm playing Shadow Dragon here. I'm playing the first NES one....

B-But I just can't stand the pain of killing those innocent units....although there is no sign of death quotes....

I think what Kirb means is that you'll get units down the line that will do the same job as one unit but not as well if they die. For example, if you lose Ogma or Navarre, Radd and Ceaser tend to be their replacements.

And, I get what you mean, I'm the same, but there is really no point in resetting back to Chapter 2 to recruit Daros when your probably wont even use him.

You know there's this wonderful website with lots of information for each and every FE game. 

https://serenesforest.net/dark-dragon-and-sword-of-light/

First shop with staffs is in Chapter 8, the next one after that is 11. It appears the dry spell of vendors is only in the early chapters.

What can be said? The first FE might have had a few issues, including shop placement.

6 hours ago, Azz said:

I think what Kirb means is that you'll get units down the line that will do the same job as one unit but not as well if they die. For example, if you lose Ogma or Navarre, Radd and Ceaser tend to be their replacements.

And, I get what you mean, I'm the same, but there is really no point in resetting back to Chapter 2 to recruit Daros when your probably wont even use him.

Yes, thats what i meant.

Don't bother with recruiting characters, they are all trash. Only worthwhile recruits are Tiki and Linde. Having thieves make looting way faster, beause Marth is too busy killing dudes and visiting villages. Try not to waste warp staves because they will come in handy to skip the endgame. 

59373cc02c003_Sinttulo.png.379f52c01bceb6a8939dfeb1065366b5.png

On 2017-6-5 at 11:45 AM, Darros said:

Wendell also don't really lose steam.

Correction, Wendell is the best mage in the game no questions asked.

I never though Minerva was that bad but maybe she just joins too late. FE1 is kind of easy though. Even the F tier people are completely usable. Er. For the most part. Maybe not Jake and Beck.