How about a story whose lords are an established couple?

FE has always had some romance in it, as we all know. So what if FE Switch took that to the next level and had a male and female lord who were already a fully fledged couple?

Alm and Celica are probably the closest we've gotten to that, but even they weren't dating at the start of the game. I'm talking about like, if the story opens with the two lords on an actual date, maybe share a kiss or two, and then a little while later, shit hits the fan and the story's conflict begins and stuff.

These lords might've grown up together or met later in life, and they could've even been betrothed to one another like Marth and Caeda. But they're totally in love and their relationship gets tested throughout this story. There could be threats to break up or even accusations of cheating or whatnot, but in the end, they would still marry and find a way to remain lovers. If the lordly couple isn't already engaged, there could even be a proposal scene! I love romance stories like this because it usually leads to such wonderful characters and just a good story overall. I just like romance in general too. ^^

I can see how this might sound cheesy for some, though. Not everyone is into romance. So I would hope that these lords' love isn't too big of a plot point and wouldn't end up shoving other things in the background. The main thing should be how the war/battles/whatever affects them in the long run and their relationships with other characters shouldn't be thrown under the bus in favor of the romance either.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like that idea has some real potential. Contrary to what FE Awakening thinks, War is not the best place for romance to blossom. I would love to see a story where a couple gets torn apart by the agendas of others.

A war torn couple might be an interesting take on the whole romance aspect that Fire Emblem tends to place into the games.  It's fairly realistic considering warring kingdoms to tend to cause families and lovers to be separated, possibly forever, and not everything is sunshine and rainbows with war.  My main concern is that I'd rather not have their love be a huge reason as to why they have to keep fighting.  Yeah, they want to be reunited, but there should be more purpose than just simply them wanting to be with each other again.

Ultimately...I just want a character that just calls everyone out on their shit because there's a much larger problem at hand.

I'd be game for having the main lords be a couple. I think if I were to do it, I'd have them already married like Pent and Louise, so the plot doesn't feel as though it's just building towards their inevitable marriage. I can't think of too many video games that portray healthy young couples. A lot of media seems to follow a formula that involves some variation of: "A meets B. They fall in love. Someone comes between them. They get back together. Something else happens. Hardship makes them realize they should marry. The end."

It's an okay formula, but I think it gets stale. I like seeing young people happy and financially stable. Not everyone's love life is a whirlwind of betrayal and drama. That's not to say that hardships don't exist...

It certainly does sound like a good idea. I'm not a fan of romance when it is the main point of a story (in other words; I'm not a fan of the romance genre), but, as a writer, I recognize its importance in stories across almost every genre. Also, I'm a little tired of "love at first sight", "Will they or won't they", and all those other cliché's that make some stories very predictable (especially the sitcom favourite: "On again off again"; that one is immensely predictable and just dull), so the protagonists already being a couple at the start of the story is definitely a nice change of pace.

I know a lot of writers and critics and even ordinary people would argue along the lines of "happy couples are boring," but, when written well, it isn't boring at all, because, like you mentioned with these two characters' relationship being tested throughout the story, stable couples go through much the same stuff that all couples do; the difference is they don't let any of it tear them apart.

Done well, this could actually be brilliant. One idea I have as a possible addition to this would be that, since every FE lord other than Ike had been nobility or royalty, what if these two characters were put into a political arranged marriage by their parents, who, knowing their children, predicted that the two would fall in love anyway?

Edited by vanguard333

you mean Sacred Stones oh shit lmao

I'd be down, but I think if they're already an established couple and their love doesn't change in any meaningful way throughout the story, they might as well not have been a couple at all. It has a place in the story, for sure.

More Alm x Celica Lord couples is a welcome addition makes it feels natural and not wierd with any optional choices that can stay with the Avatar and other characters which makes more sense that way even though. 

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Only if their romance either gives them some kind of development. Seeing how two characters get together is typically when such development is seen, and it makes it kind of difficult to see it if they are already together. 

That said, I'd like to see a story where the main characters were forced together through an arranged marriage, and they have vastly different viewpoints and opinions that cause them to never see eye-to-eye. Seeing them work out their differences through the stroy could be a source of good development - both from a character and relationship standpoint.

Established/veteran lovers would be fine by me. Just no damsel in distress scenarios where one is inexplicably or irrationality taken captive by some bad guy and the other has to bail them out. A "I know this military operation might get me taken captive- but I expect you to rescue me if I don't make it out myself" would work. (Though this isn't quite what I mean, I recall from SRT: OG 2 the Moon Cradle Route scene where Irm is willing to shoot through a hostage Ring, and the scene in the moment is emotional, but later Ring after the battle is over says "like I'd let myself get hit by him".) Make the lovers equals with equal ability, though it they don't nor should have to be symmetrical in their talents and flaws.

Love shouldn't be the driving factor behind the plot, nor should it lead the lords to do foolish things. But having intimate (sometimes bitter) moments at rest in the base with professionalism in the war room and on the battlefield would be realistic and nice.

3 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

That said, I'd like to see a story where the main characters were forced together through an arranged marriage, and they have vastly different viewpoints and opinions that cause them to never see eye-to-eye. Seeing them work out their differences through the stroy could be a source of good development - both from a character and relationship standpoint.

People, understandably, hate arranged marriages, but having such a scenario would be rather creative for a video game. So as long as they don't suddenly and inexplicably melt into purest love. Why I'd be okay with one of the couple engaging in a little "adultery of the eyes, ears and voices" which the partner picks up on, and while they understand their significant other would do this given their marriage was manufactured and that neither is truly happy in it, would nonetheless find this breach of their vows of devotion offensive.

Sure, why not.

I like the idea that it's a married couple who also serve as a pair of Jagens. They're both fully confident and capable, there's very little drama and a whole lot of jib-jab and fooling around, their relationship is never in jeopardy, and generally speaking they don't grow or change significantly. Their own histories are told through bits and pieces throughout the game, most of it in optional bits like supports. The entire rest of the cast is full of young trainees and recruits; they're the ones doing all of the growing and changing and emotional-moment-having and such.

Yes. Parent Emblem. Make it happen, IS.

Yay, I'm glad people are generally on board with this idea! ^^ I can definitely see it working great too, though whether or not IS would actually pull it off well is the biggest question. Since, as we know, Awakening and Fates's stories aren't favored much.

With a bit more development, you could say this is part of what Fire Emblem 4 is about. While seemingly forced due to SNES restrictions, Sigurd and Deirdre are an official couple and Sigurd does despair when he loses sight of Deirdre later in the game. To avoid spoiling too much, this facet of Genealogy's story is part of why I want it remade.

The children mechanic and marriage also means no one from the new fanbase who came for the dating elements can complain either which I see as a positive since in a way everyone gets what they want with no one's sensibilities or tastes getting harmed.

Edited by Raguna

Yeah, but Deirdre isn't a lord, so it's still not quite the same. And this story doesn't necessarily have to have the children mechanic either. In fact, I'd rather it not be there since the last time IS did that, it was pretty stupid. Fates, why...

I'm all for established relationships. U think "teenagers, virgin lovers" is rather tired by this point so I'd appreciate two people who have already been together for a while.

Imagine instead of young lordlings meeting for the first time, the protagonists were the king and queen. The game would be more about how they run the country and deal with threats, rather than a obviously build up to a marriage.

That sounds like a great idea, I always like it when FE games have pre established couples like Pent/Louisse, Largo/Camilla, Clive/Mathilda, etc. That would be a great idea if the two lords were either already married or engaged.

Yes please. Established relationships are badly underrepresented in Fire Emblem and in video games in general; I'd love to see more.

Yet another good idea which is blocked by Awakening/Fates' decision to make 100% of the playable cast romanceable by the player.

• 3 months later...

I for one would like to see this in action, given that it's done properly. I'd like to see them establishing the couple and their retainers/crews at the start of the game and when the war erupts split the parties in some dramatic twist, having the early to mid-late game play out something like SoV Act 3 & 4 with their own chapters and characters/items; maybe even specific gaiden chapters depending on conditions met on the other route. Promote once they reunite for the maximum power of love. Yup, that could be a solid game indeed.

On 7-6-2017 at 1:52 AM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yet another good idea which is blocked by Awakening/Fates' decision to make 100% of the playable cast romanceable by the player.

If they must include the hitching aspect of 13-14 I'd much rather they do away with convoluted timespace plot devices and child units. Have your s-supports go on a honeymoon or some final quest to prove their love to one another and encounter surprise enemies for a 2-unit gauntlet (think Conquest Ch.15) with some nice loot to boot. Hell if we get an avatar again (as I expect we will) we could have a whole new Eirika/Ephraim/Lyon dynamic with the main couple but so much better please.

Also if they must include child units do it like FE4. Or at least let it make sense.

I would like to see this happen, though I doubt it will. As long as their relationship is made clear and they`re given couple like moments. I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again, if they must include children, do a timeskip like FE4, DON`T DO what Fates and Awakening did. Pairing could be handled like it was in earlier games, only certain pair are possible. To replace children paralouges, couples could be given a honeymoon, like someone here suggested (sorry, forgot your name).

Imagine instead of young lordlings meeting for the first time, the protagonists were the king and queen. The game would be more about how they run the country and deal with threats, rather than a obviously build up to a marriage.

I would love to see this happen. Seeing how being a ruler affects the protagonist would be great.

It's a good idea, but I'd love to see a female lord as the solo hero first before then outside of avatars. All other times there's been a female protagonist to go along with the guy (SoV, Sacred Stones, Radiant Dawn), the writers tend to give the guy more spotlight/bias over the girl (Ephraim having a harder route that holds the best ending, Alm delivering the final blow, Ike delivering the final blow and then some more...).

It is definitely good idea, but if such fe fail we could get another Alm and Celica, which pretty much ruined SoV for me.

I am all for Pent and Louse spin off or Marth and Caeda sequel. Maybe something like finding Nemo, With young son/daughter in trouble as deteurgonist?

Edited by Tenzen12