Should Most Bows be 2-3 Ranged?

Should Bows be 2-3 Ranged?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bows have 2-3 Range?

• Yes
    • No

7 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, that's true.

While that is true that crossbows don't work like that, the fact of the matter is that crossbows were all but useless unless they were targeting something that they were effective against. It didn't help that the strongest crossbow that wasn't one-of-a-kind was only 28 mt.

See above.

I'm seeing above but I'm not seeing anything in relation to my suggestions to overcome that problem.

I'm so here for keep 1-5 range but tweak it a bit. 1-5 range absolutely rules but can get OP depending on how strong the bows are.

On one hand, this could help Fire Emblem.

On the other, if I'm still confusing Echoes' archers with rockets from AW, I don't see how giving archers the exact range of artillery is going to help. Then again, I'm probably the only person who struggles with that. I'll stick with the top one.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm seeing above but I'm not seeing anything in relation to my suggestions to overcome that problem.

Well, the way I see it, I doubt that your proposed fixes would help much, especially the skill related one - would people really use a weapon that drops off in usability as the game goes on just to hold out for a skill??

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer the 1 to 3+ range, with accuracy decreasing the farther the enemy is. At 1 range, the archer can have an avoid and/or dodge penalty as @SatsumaFSoysoy has said. If they bring back elevation as a factor, that could also influence damage.

Hidden weapons have the special property of debuffing opponents and magic targets resistance. Giving bows more range options helps it stand out more.

I think buffing bows is more important than nerfing thrown melee weapons, and making certain melee weapons to be locked at range 2 seems a little weird.

Edited by XRay

The game just has to be built for 2-3 range, or whatever range bows get. If bows were to be 2-3 range as their standard, healing staffs need to be 1-2 range to so healers could heal the frontline and only risk being attacked if the archers move right next to the frontline- which wouldn't happen if there was a close range unit occupying the necessary spot (as in what'd normally happen at a chokepoint).

Durability also has to be balanced for enemy bow users- if bows are too strong, have too much range and there are too many enemies with them, then it becomes difficult to defend against them and everything else. SoV's Bow Knights and Snipers are bearable by non-fliers or mages despite their massive range because they're fairly weak- but if they all packed Killer Bows and Hunter's Volley'ed- they'd be too much of a threat.

Bringing back crossbows, while making them better in some way, wouldn't be a bad idea. Nor would trying out Berwick Saga's Shooter skill, or making arrows separate from bows (but you need equip one of both to attack).