How would you guys feel if there was a 'fixed' mode in which...

Snowy_One

Playing Heroes a lot got me thinking, what if there was a 'fixed' mode in which a characters base and end stat totals would always be the same, but the exact level-ups themselves would fluctuate?

I imagine it wouldn't change much to be honest. A balance team that gives Camilla her dumb growths are still going to give Camilla great end stat totals, which probably means she's going to gravitate towards being good in the end, no?

I think it would be incredibly frustrating for LTC play as some really bad fixed growths early on could completely derail a run. Especially if you need a few different units to hit certain benchmarks. I think FE9's fixed mode did it almost perfectly. The only thing I don't like with FE9's is the modifiers for the enemies you fight and the weapons you use.

It would make a difference. For starters, I can't really tell how it would be different in the sense that the levels themselves fluctuate. That would be a means to an end, even if the end is always the same. Having an extra point or two of Spd can make the difference, for instance.

As for Fixed Mode as a whole, I've barely touched on it on FE9. From mere thought, I'm not a huge fan of the idea. I was a little displeased with it when I first played Heroes, but now I'm pretty fine with it.

FE9's fixed mode was basically a bunch of math. Each character got a base amount of points plus some more based on which weapon they wielded, if they held a growth item or not, and exactly what they ended up fighting. So it was a lot like pokemons EV's as opposed to what I'm suggesting.

Also, LTC's wouldn't be affected unless they were obsessed with ensuring blessed characters since every Ike would, inevitably, end up with the same stats. The only difference would be in the journey. You wouldn't get RNG 'screwed' or 'blessed', just units who could be fixed with more level-ups or units who hit their max stats early