Pokémon UltraSun and UltraMoon General News/Information/Speculation thread - IT'S HERE!!

Michelaar

UltraSun and UltraMoon polls.  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What Legendary is better?

• Dusk Mane Necrozma
    • Dawn wings Necrozma.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I hope the protagonists can produce facial expressions besides ": )"

Because the neverending ": )" was seriously creepy.

Also I hope for better clothing than Sun/Moon.  I want to look snazzy, game, Sun/Moon's clothing was way too casual for me.

The thing is, they actually do at one point have a genuinely shocked expression. Exactly one, though (I forget exactly when, but it's near the start).

12 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

I find it funny that people have been hating on it for being a remake (which it isn't, or at least seems like it isn't) whilst also begging for a gen 4 remake.

Two different groups of people. The former would complain about the latter, to. You saw a guy in the main Direct thread who dislikes Pokemon complaining about it.

1 hour ago, Frenzify said:

Wow. I would have expected the first reply, if not the OP, to be like, "Errmagahd! It's not on the switch! What BS! Boo! Worst game ever! F U Nintendo!"

I'm glad that there's none of that here... so far. I guess I should give the Serenes Forest community more credit than that. But yeah, I'm looking forward to this.

Glad to be bucking expectations.

Edited by The DanMan

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The thing is, they actually do at one point have a genuinely shocked expression. Exactly one, though (I forget exactly when, but it's near the start).

IIRC, it's when first seeing Nihilego.

Doesn't excuse the fact their face is frozen as ": )" for basically every other serious cutscene.  

Edited by Glaceon Sage

12 minutes ago, Ether said:

I don't understand why people insist on calling these remakes? They're very obviously a mix of the third versions we've had forever, and the formula of B/W2, both of which have always been the best version of the games in question. 

They might be sequels, they might be alternate history versions since ORAS confirmed the multiverse is canon. Either way, we're going to get expanded Gen 7 and all the bells and whistles that come with it. 

Me neither...

Once again. We have new MCs. Come on. We've seen really few about the game, yet everything we saw point to it being quite different. Whether it's a sequel, a "what if?", or anything else is hard to see (It happening in Sun/Moon bad timeline would be quite cool, but i'm not sure.) is too early to tell, but it's hand down the most exciting announcement.) That's exactly what we were expecting when watching this Direct : Something completely unexpected with a great hype potential. 

13 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

I find it funny that people have been hating on it for being a remake (which it isn't, or at least seems like it isn't) whilst also begging for a gen 4 remake.

Yeah, I don't understand this mindset either. it seems somewhat contradictory.

They wanted it to be on Switch, but that won't happens before a while.

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

IIRC, it's when first seeing Nihilego.

Doesn't excuse the fact their face is frozen as ": )" for basically every other serious cutscene.  

Which just doesn't make sense; they did it once, so why couldn't they have done it in other cutscenes? 

Ok, I edited the title a bit to make it stand out more like the Sun/Moon thread. 

I am pretty sure from what I've read elsewhere that this is an 'alternate dimensions' kinda game. So for people worrying, like @Anacybele, that this game will be just a remake, pretty sure you're wrong. It's another dimension, so certain events could have played out VERY differently. In that sense, it is the closest to Pokémon Black 2 and White 2. 

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

I hope they elaborate on what "alternate" version means. If it really means a Sun 2 Moon 2 situation, then I'm game. If it's more like the difference between Ruby and Sapphire or Ruby and Emerald then it's a pass for me.

We're getting the same protagonists for this, unlike Black/White 2, so that says...something.

34 minutes ago, Ether said:

I don't understand why people insist on calling these remakes? They're very obviously a mix of the third versions we've had forever, and the formula of B/W2, both of which have always been the best version of the games in question. 

They might be sequels, they might be alternate history versions since ORAS confirmed the multiverse is canon. Either way, we're going to get expanded Gen 7 and all the bells and whistles that come with it. 

I prefer Black/White 1 myself.

9 minutes ago, Florete said:

We're getting the same protagonists for this, unlike Black/White 2, so that says...something.

They seem to have different starting clothing and the room's slightly different (different colors).
So, something in-between BW2 and Platinum?

People are forgetting one key difference here between Sinnoh remakes and Alola ones.

Sun and Moon just came out last November. Diamond and Pearl are over ten years old. Which really deserves a remake more? I'm not against remakes themselves.

Also, there being two versions and seemingly the same adventure with a few differences screams remake to me. I'd love to be wrong tho.

Also, new protags mean nothing when Lyra was in HGSS instead of Kris. 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, there being two versions and seemingly the same adventure with a few differences screams remake to me. I'd love to be wrong tho.

Again, what were Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and B2W2? It looks like a third version or sequel like it's always been done with past generations (except gen VI). Remakes are a completely different thing.

4 minutes ago, Pikappa93 said:

Again, what were Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and B2W2? It looks like a third version or sequel like it's always been done with past generations (except gen VI). Remakes are a completely different thing.

They were ONE version to go with the original two. Not two new separate versions in the same region with the same adventure. B2W2 were sequels taking place two years after BW. We don't know if this is the case with US and UM.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They were ONE version to go with the original two. Not two new separate versions in the same region.

...........B2/W2.....

Just now, Anacybele said:

They were ONE version to go with the original two. Not two new separate versions in the same region.

And what is so different in that? Not counting that B2W2 were two versions and they told a new story in the same setting, which seems to the case with USUM, be it a sequel or an alternate universe.

Also, it just doesn't make sense to "remake" Sun & Moon on the same console they were released a year ago. They would end up just being... well, the original Sun & Moon. So this is obviously not a remake.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They were ONE version to go with the original two. Not two new separate versions in the same region with the same adventure. B2W2 were sequels taking place two years after BW. We don't know if this is the case with US and UM.

While if these games are full blown sequels or enhanced versions remains to be seen, I can assure you one thing: USUM are not remakes. 

Edited by Jave

3 minutes ago, Pikappa93 said:

And what is so different in that? Not counting that B2W2 were two versions and they told a new story in the same setting, which seems to the case with USUM, be it a sequel or an alternate universe.

Also, it just doesn't make sense to "remake" Sun & Moon on the same console they were released a year ago. They would end up just being... well, the original Sun & Moon. So this is obviously not a remake.

We don't know if this is really a brand new story tho, that's my problem here.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

"These titles offer an alternative story taking place in the same world as Pokémon Sun and Moon and new Pokémon that didn't appear in Pokémon Sun and Moon will appear too. There will be additional elements to let you enjoy your adventure even more."

Source: Masuda from the Direct. Definitely not a remake ;)

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I think we should just wait and see.

7 minutes ago, Pikappa93 said:

"These titles offer an alternative story taking place in the same world as Pokémon Sun and Moon and new Pokémon that didn't appear in Pokémon Sun and Moon will appear too. There will be additional elements to let you enjoy your adventure even more."

Source: Masuda from the Direct. Definitely not a remake ;)

Alternative story doesn't necessarily mean entirely different though.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm honestly quite excited.  If the alternate story and new Pokemon they said actually means a different story and brand new Pokemon, then I am absolutely all for it.  And in this day and age, a 3rd game doesn't make much sense, but sequels do or a retelling.  Plus, we got Solgaleo and Lunala looking like they fused or something with Necrozma.

And I can play through Alola again with a Rowlet without deleting and starting over my Moon file.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

People are forgetting one key difference here between Sinnoh remakes and Alola ones.

Sun and Moon just came out last November. Diamond and Pearl are over ten years old. Which really deserves a remake more? I'm not against remakes themselves.

Also, new protags mean nothing when Lyra was in HGSS instead of Kris. 

I think these seem more like Director's Cut versions than remakes, don't they? They're being made for 3DS so they're probably just expanded versions like Emerald and Platinum.

Considering the whole theme of Sun/Moon, these games look like they're an adventure in a parallel dimension to the previous ones. I think it's likely that Gamefreak concludes this gen with Sinnoh remakes to wrap up the whole dimensional theme.

Edited by Cerberus87

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

What Sun and Moon have are definitely NOT remake, Ana.

When you give a older game a remake, it's because the said game has been out for a very long time. You can say the same thing for movies.

But as you said and it's true: Sun and Moon are not even 1 year old while Diamond and Pearl are 10 years old.

So Sun and Moon will have a sequel while Diamond and Pearl will have a remake.

Also, remakes don't follow the same graphics as their predecessor. That would like if ORAS had gameboy level of graphics on a 3DS engine. We could the same thing about the gameplay, it will havea few changes between games. However as you saw in the trailer, Ultra Sun and Moon have the same graphics as the last game.

Sun and Moon = Sequel

Diamond and Pearl = Remake

Edited by Nym