Do you think X and Y should've gotten a third version/sequel for its time?

Erureido

With the reveal of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, X and Y have become the only set of generation games that did not get a third version/sequel. Considering the mixed reception X and Y got among Pokemon fans, do you think and Y should've received a third version/sequel back then?

I'm among those that enjoyed XY, but I won't deny that these games had their faults. Two of the main issues that come to mind is that they had a pretty lackluster story and awful postgame. I think a third version or a sequel definitely would've done the games major justice, especially considering how much flack these games receive. Such a game could've given us an improved story, fleshing out more of its characters (especially Malva and Lysandre, the latter of which especially since he has generally become the most hated villain in the series), improving Team Flare's depiction, providing more to explore of Kalos (i.e. the other Power Plants), and even resolve a number of unsolved mysteries from the X and Y games (Lumiose City ghost girl, where the Couriway Train tracks lead to, Sycamore's letter, etc.).

Edited by Erureido

I firmly believe there was a Pokémon Z/third version/sequel project about Kalos that was later cancelled for reasons (probably not because of Game Freak but Nintendo). All that Zygarde merchandise and other small hints back then all point at that.

And yeah, I that XY deserved a third version/sequel, especially considering that this is one of the reasons I consider Gen VI to be the worst generation of Pokémon.

a sequel could've been cool but third versions are a fucking awful business practice

i never played XY but third versions are something that I really hope are gone for good

there's literally no advantage to buying one of the first versions over the third one, you just get an inferior game and you have to play full price to get the better one with more things

I feel like XY could have really used a third version to try and improve on its plot.

I felt like it needed it more than Sun and Moon honestly.

That said, I too think it may have been planned at some point but later cancelled, with the ideas they had being handed over to the anime staff plus some possibly being implemented in Sun and Moon.  

I'm not really down with the 3rd version things in Pokemon games now.  It kinda made sense back in the day, but now, not so much.  XY I felt could have used more of a sequel to flesh out the story and Zygarde especially.  Instead, they brought Zygarde into the story of Gen 7 way more which makes me honestly think that Zygarde is more of a Gen 7 Pokemon than Gen 6.

I feel like there wouldn't be enough to add besides more Megas. And they did make more Megas for ORAS anyway. Kalos is packed with 450 pokemon out of the (then) 721 total, that's a lot of variation in team compositions for both casual playthroughs and competitive battling compared to previous titles. Plus the story didn't engage me enough for me to want a sequel to it. Are we really curious what tierno's up to? Assuming ORAS never happened, I would have kept my eye out for an X/Y Sequel, but a third version would have been a definite no going off of previous gens, and I think a lot of people would agree with me.

Edited by Gustavos

I strongly dislike the idea of a third version. THis is mostly because it can lead to developers withholding content and leaving things unfinished, so that they can publish a "definitive" third version latter. This is why my laest favorate pokemon games are diamond and pearl. the devs were very obviously withholding content for platinum. (such as by making a massive number of new evolutions and then not letting the player access most of them untill the post-game). I mean seriously, this is a game in which infernape is probably the best starter simply because ponita is the only other fire type in the main story (dispite the fact that this is also the game which introduced magmortar). I always feel gyped by third version anouncements for this reason. It makes it feel like I was suckered into paying for the original.

Direct sequels are usualy better, because they are generaly clearly designed as a sequential addition to the original experience, rather than a slightly better version with a reletively small amount of content changed. For example, platinum had one or two new dungeons (plus new gym layouts), whereas BW2 added two large chunks of map, as well as several new dungeons in the existing explorable areas. BW2 also built on the origional's story rather than replacing it and pretending like the origional did not exist, like platinum did.

Edited by sirmola

Yes.

But instead, they took a dump on the lore with ORAS.

The only serious flaw in those games was the Exp. Share. If there was a fairer way to grind exp, they would've been ace.

It really needed a third game/sequel.  As stated, there were tons of unanswered questions with the plot and a complete and utter lack of post-game.  They could have just done it with X/Y in the first place, but they've set the precedent of having the third game be the "complete" version of the game.  X/Y felt really lacking in that regard.

As such, Gen VII felt very rushed in my opinion.  Gen VI still had another year or so in it's life, and I actually liked Gen VI more than VII.  I miss the Gen VI botton screen, it felt like you're were really connected with everybody.

I need to read up on UltraMun, but I'm not sure if it will win me back after Gen VII drove me away in the first place.

Yes, we need another Eeveelution to be with Sylveon.

I didn't even bother with both the story and the after game unlike Sun and Moon.

28 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

As such, Gen VII felt very rushed in my opinion.  Gen VI still had another year or so in it's life, and I actually liked Gen VI more than VII.  I miss the Gen VI botton screen, it felt like you're were really connected with everybody.

This.

Edited by Nym

I echo those who hate the third versions of Pokemon games, so no, I don't think XY needed one, because no Pokemon game should need one.

I agree that XY's lack of postgame is disappointing (although despite that, XY is absolutely one of my favourite games in the series) but that's a fault the game has, and "fixing" it with a third verison is a slap in the face to everyone who paid full price for the first versions.

In the age where things such as postgame content and polish fixes (such as Platinum's fix for some of Diamond/Pearl's awful sluggishness) can be added by DLC (free or paid), there's no excuse for third versions which are a predatory practice designed to get fans to pay full price for the same game twice.

15 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I echo those who hate the third versions of Pokemon games, so no, I don't think XY needed one, because no Pokemon game should need one.

I agree that XY's lack of postgame is disappointing (although despite that, XY is absolutely one of my favourite games in the series) but that's a fault the game has, and "fixing" it with a third verison is a slap in the face to everyone who paid full price for the first versions.

In the age where things such as postgame content and polish fixes (such as Platinum's fix for some of Diamond/Pearl's awful sluggishness) can be added by DLC (free or paid), there's no excuse for third versions which are a predatory practice designed to get fans to pay full price for the same game twice.

I don't exactly like the idea of a third game, but if the choice is between an incomplete feeling game/generation and no third game, or a third game that adds the features we've liked and come to expect in a third game, I'd rather have the latter.

I would argue that in the age of DLC, a third game is a completely inappropriate solution to the problem (it always was, really, but it's worse now). The missing content which makes the game feel "incomplete" can be added electronically without asking people to pay for a new full-price game.

Yeah, I think XY should've gotten a third version or sequels. As pointed out before, there were several unsolved mysteries and unused stuff (Zygarde had two moves programmed in that it couldn't legitimately access, for instance).

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I would argue that in the age of DLC, a third game is a completely inappropriate solution to the problem (it always was, really, but it's worse now). The missing content which makes the game feel "incomplete" can be added electronically without asking people to pay for a new full-price game.

I agree, DLC to add the content would definitely cost less compared to a full-fledged game. Unfortunately, Game Freak is currently opposed to DLC in main series Pokemon games. Junichi Masuda stated the reason they don't want DLC in a Pokemon game is because of the possibility that children may overspend their money, while Ken Sugimori mentioned paying money to get certain Pokemon was out of the question because it ruins the worldview of the series.

On a different note, what are your thoughts on XY getting a sequel game back then similar to what B2/W2 did to BW?

Edited by Erureido

I'd have no problem with that, from what I know of the Black/White games and their sequels (haven't played 'em myself). As others have mentioned there was definitely some stuff hanging which another game could have addressed, mostly related to Zygarde.

I like to think they probably wanted to move on from X and Y as soon as it was done because they needed something really good and unique for the 20th, and Gen VI was in no way going to be able to deliver what they really needed from a 20th anniversary game. What we got for the 20th instead was something I definitely feel is better, no two ways about it. Also, Gen VI didn't have all that much in the way of improvements, even though some of them were positive and drastic (Fairy, customizable trainer, revamped Exp Share, Megas). It promoted a metagame that basically barred an entire type from utility, had a nonsensical plot that falls far short of the expectation set by the previous game (and Generation as a whole).

On ‎9‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Hylian Air Force said:

Also, Gen VI didn't have all that much in the way of improvements, even though some of them were positive and drastic (Fairy, customizable trainer, revamped Exp Share, Megas). It promoted a metagame that basically barred an entire type from utility, had a nonsensical plot that falls far short of the expectation set by the previous game (and Generation as a whole).

I'm somewhat surprised you think that, when our fellow historian from Prussia (or Prague in real-life) mentioned the similarity between Team Flare and Nazi Germany. I actually headcanoned the whole story as French ultranationalist politics, with Lysandre as a descendant of one of the right-wing extremists in the 1930s.

Anyway, I would have liked to enjoy Poke-France more. I'd happily touch a Pokémon game which a much more realistic region than one that doesn't have said region. (I'm looking at both of you, ORAS and RSE.)

Edited by henrymidfields

Ehhhhhhhhh honestly no. Other than the tutorial and the lack of exploration (which was kind of an issue too but not as bad in sun/moon) sun/moon felt like such an improvement over X/Y. If Ultra Sun/Moon improve on those two things I complained about above I'd say that it's way more of an improvement than anything that Z could have to offer.

Note: Story I don't care about with respect to this. Additional lore in X/Y or additional lore in sun/moon is fine by me. I like additional lore but it doesn't matter to me which game gets it. So I'm looking at gameplay improvements here.

Second Note: The real question is Delta Emerald when?