Effie Sprite (Criticism needed)

RetroLukas

After recently replaying Fire Emblem Fates Conquest on lunatic mode, I felt the need to make a sprite of Effie in Gba style graphics. I would like some constructive criticism on how to improve it or perhaps just scrap the whole idea in general. All forms of bashing or strengthening criticism is welcome!

EffieGba.png

I mean it doesn't really look like Effie yet.  Also the hair needs work, the sides of her fringe need to be a little longer, and the shading and shaping is all wrong.  I'm not a face-spriter, and how people make hair look good is beyond me, but atm it doesn't look good.  Lastly, the armor doesn't look right, but you probably know that.

18 minutes ago, RetroLukas said:

Thanks for the feedback Yosh and Jedi, I'll be sure to re-post an image of the updated version later.

Oh sorry I didn't get the notification, I just think the front looks kind of weird, its hard to explain. Sorry.

Simply put, it's poorly aliased and barely has any significant shading. The spliced parts are acceptable enough, but the customed parts could use a lot of work. Lines you've made aren't backed up by shading to smooth them out or give definition, and what shading has been applied is really just a lot of gentle banding in most cases - that is, it's just more pixels of the next color bunched up against the lines, giving things an embossed look rather than accentuating the shape. Additionally, no shading was applied where the eyes were edited, leaving a very stark line of lightest skintone going over the top of the eyes and a very jagged and uneven top eyelid. The eye color is too dark to be identifiable from the 6? pixels that exist of that weird murky maybe-green and brown, and it really just sort of looks like the same eye c/p'd over to the other side. Also hate the shit out of FE6 armor because it's poorly shaded af and uses unnecessary colors, but that's less your fault and more IS's. The star, on the other hand, lacks a light source and just kind of flatly sits there. The trim above it is poorly edited and doesn't remove all of the indication of the original V shape. Palette-wise, there's a lot of contrast between some of the lighter and darker shades - so much so that it makes it very difficult to smooth out the shapes with the current palette. I'd suggest tweaking the values more or picking colors that transition a little more gently.

Many thanks Teapot, I'd hate to say it but I love the amount detail you put into your critique, I shall apply what you said to the mug. Moreover I totally agree with the FE6 armor bit (FE6 armor looks kind of strange to stare at after a while).