Is Anankos a good villain?

Anomomoga

Is Anankos a good villain?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is Anankos a good villain?

• Yes
    • No

Story-wise, absolutely not. He's barely a presence in any route, even the one you fight him in, which makes the "SORE MO WATASHI DA!"-esque reveal about his involvement in Birthright and Conquest feel forced. His backstory is locked behind a paywall for some reason, and honestly it's just a rip-off of the Earth Dragons from FE1 with some extra angst thrown in. His entire story presence is also locked behind that same paywall, which leaves him feeling underutilized despite being the main villain.

Gameplay-wise, not really. He's largely just a watered-down copy of Grima, with the only notable thing about him being his multi-stage boss fight.

And honestly, taking the above into account, I think that's by biggest problem with him; Anankos is just really, really derivative, with nothing about him that some other FE villain hasn't done better.

To this day Anankos is the only Fire Emblem villain which renders two entire games completely superfluous story-wise just by merely existing. 

No, he's not a good villain.

Overpowered to the Nth degree, and yet somehow, he doesn't succeed. I get that's how villains are frequently supposed to be, but by FE standards, Anankos is ridiculously powerful, and he's that powerful for the entire game. Our other supervillains at least have the excuse of being at less 100% if at all active most/a large chunk of their games. The only excuses old Anny has is a degrading mind- in which case how in the world did he even possess anyone coherently in the first place?

The Revelation final battle is a slog in the first part, unless blitzed in 1-turn, which you want to do. The remainder of the fight is chopping away at an HP sink while warding off some ordinary reinforcements. Better than the FD, Formortiis, and possibly Grima, but not really anyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

Story-wise, no, absolutely not. His role in the plot comes at the expense of the story's personal and political conflict and as said before renders two games' stories superfluous, he's responsible for Garon, another villain who's pretty terrible in his role, and whatever meaningful characterization he does get is locked behind a paywall and said characterization isn't all that good in the first place. All around, he's a terribly implemented villain with little redeeming qualities to his role in the plot, and is one of the major reasons Fates' story is considered one of the worst in the franchise.

Gameplay-wise, not really. I do like the idea of a multiphase boss, but it's pretty simple to take him down as the units he surrounds himself with can be easily defeated. Additionally, none of his phases pose much of a threat as it's easy to play around their range and their only difficulty comes from being HP sponges. He may be better then some of the other final boss battles, but considering the ones he's better then that's not much of an accomplishment.

Edited by Medeus

I admit he did prove to be mildly interesting in his conversation with Shigure in the DLC story but that's very small in scope and for absolutely everything else he is thoroughly unremarkable. I'd actually enjoy hearing from some people that actually did like him just to see what their reasoning is.

Also I've never seen a dragon as ugly as his big drooping man body

Edited by Jotari

• 3 weeks later...

Story wise, not in the slightest. His existence itself means Conquest and Birthright are irrelevant, and the best case scenario of those games is that they are 20+ dollar DLC that just gives you the non-sacrificial ending of Awakening.

Revelations is nearly worse. Throughout the entirety of the game you know he's the one responsible for... everything... and thus are expected to see a great villain of immense power, charisma, and motivation. But what you get is... not that. Sure, the idea was cool that he felt betrayed and his madness escalated into pure insanity and the want to destroy the world, but like everything in Fates, the idea was great, but the execution failed miserably. Plus, most everything learned about him is only seen in other DLC, a not good idea in the slightest.

Gameplay, in my opinion, at least was awesome. The first battle was boring, but the finale having to fight him numerous times in an effort to defeat him was epic. The infinite reinforcements were annoying, yes, but I ever since the Fire Dragon in FE7 I had been waiting for an epic final boss with grand defenses, HP, and attack that made it a battle worthy final boss.

Like majority of the ideas in Fates, Anankos could have been good. But by saying he is the mastermind behind most of Fates history cheapens Garon and Takumi as villains. It just that he is too powerful considering he can resurrect the dead, travel to  alternative worlds, and have can an army out of corpses. It just make me wonder why we just destroy the world, if that is his plan. But I do give him credit having a muti-stage boss is a good idea that can be in future Fire Emblem games, 

In theory: yes. In practice: no.

He doesn't do much in Birthright and is pretty unnecessary on that path. In Conquest he just ruins the story. Takumi hating Corrin and being consumed by his own feelings of hatred that eventually leads to his own downfall? No, can't have that. It was an evil dragon because he has to be the main villain on all paths. Then there's Revelation. It would've been interesting if Corrin found out that he's related to Anankos but nope, can't have that either. Gotta sell that dlc somehow. He's just an evil dragon Corrin has to win over because Corrin is the main character. Then there's dlc that's supposed to explain both why the Awakening trio is there and what's the deal with Anankos. Even if the dlc doesn't really do that either. The only way to understand the whole story is to play all the paths and the dlc. Even then you probably have to go to wiki to understand what's going on and what's the point of buying all that on that point?

I kinda liked the final boss map though.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think he is a great villain. His design, love it or hate it. You can never forget at least! And his character is also a pretty sympathetic take on the "Dragon Degeneration" IMO. One of which I definitely appreciate after whatever they were going for with Duma in Echoes. "Hidden Truths" definitely did a great job making him come off as pretty likable and tragic (and it's nice to see where Corrin got their kind personality from!) 

He has some pretty great lines too IMO, for example. When he gets his full power back from Garon he says "You stand no chance against a Dragon! I'll crush your bones beneath my feet, and even THAT fate is more than you deserve!" like damn that's a cool and intimidating pre-final boss battle line! Travis Willingham and Cam Clarke also do a great job voicing their respective versions of the character so that's a plus.

The fact that he couldn't change his Fate of eventual madness (due to his love of humanity to a fault) no matter how hard he tried also made me feel pretty bad for him. In particular though, his portrayal in HOF was also intriguing. Especially when he says that he's not ready to see "Cadros" go into eternal suffering like Azura has, and when he explains why he invaded all the different worlds in the first place IMO.

Medeus used to be my favourite "Dragon" antagonist in the series. He's still pretty great mind you, but I'd say it's easily Anankos now after playing through Fates haha. One last thing, his final boss fight is up there with Ashera's for me. I love how involved everything felt!

Edited by HylianBelmont

On 16/08/2017 at 5:58 AM, Emperor said:

What do you think?

Well, Emperor. I'm not them but since you so politely asked. I actually think he's pretty fuckin' good personally! He's on the same level of Loptyr/Julius and Nergal IMHO. 

(Also I think you're exaggerating just a tad on the writing part)

Edited by HylianBelmont

5 hours ago, HylianBelmont said:

Personally I think he is a great villain. His design, love it or hate it. You can never forget at least!

Which design are you talking about? The Robin recolour? The giant head? The big droopy dragon form? Takumi? Gunter?

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Which design are you talking about? The hot Robin recolour? The giant head? The big droopy dragon form? Takumi? Gunter?

The giant head and his Dragon form in particular haha. Definitely some rather interesting choices for a Dragon God's design in this series, but hey! They're definitely pretty distinctive in any case.

Though I do also have a soft spot for the designs of Human!Anankos and Anankumi however XD