Who's your favourite character and why?

Azzurohr

My favourite character would probably have to be Ishtar, a.k.a the Goddess of Thunder.

I love how despite being a major antagonist, she is a kind caring person willing to go behind the back of the man she loves, well knowing he is the host of Loptyr and could possibly harm her, and save the children from being sacrificed.

I am also a fan of her relationship with Julius. She helps show Julius' more human side as he is shown to genuinely love her and she loves him back despite what he does under the control of Loptyr. Her relationship with Tine/Linda is also nice and it was pleasant to know how she treated them with kindness during their time in Friege as they were pretty much being abused by Hilda.

Finally her design is glorious.

Spoiler

Image result for fire emblem ishtar

She's sexy but doesn't need to show off too much to show that. Her hair is beautifully coloured and long and really helps amplify her attractiveness. Especially considering the time in which these designs were created, IMO, Ishtar's still holds up today when many designs from FE4 don't

To be honest, she is one of the sole reasons I want an FE4 remake. By far one of the best villains and best Camus archetype in the series.

7 hours ago, Luchi said:

While I am saddened by the fact that one-note characters like Mia and Ilyana are considerably more popular

Wow, something we agree on. But yeah, I agree. It's sad that characters like them and Nephenee are way more popular than gems like Elincia, Jill, Kieran, and Marcia, imo.

31 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wow, something we agree on. But yeah, I agree. It's sad that characters like them and Nephenee are way more popular than gems like Elincia, Jill, Kieran, and Marcia, imo.

Kieran is rather one-note too. And I while I love Jill and her character arc, I wish her PoR supports had covered stuff other than her Laguz bigotry background and her daddy issues, some rather lighthearted extraneous stuff about hobbies and character habits, the stuff Awakening and Fates supports thrive on, would have actually fleshed her out even more.

Ilyana is less a human and more a Pokemon, and even less a Pokemon and more a joke. What can be said? FE unfortunately finds itself getting one-note characters with some frequency due to having a totally new cast of ~40 per game. There is only so much creative juice that be infused into the characters of a given game, and when you run out, you get things like Ilyana. I've been doing the Affinity Missions in XCX en masse, and with a much smaller playable cast (though plenty more NPCs and their intriguing quests), I can find something of a similar issue.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kieran is rather one-note too. And I while I love Jill and her character arc, I wish her PoR supports had covered stuff other than her Laguz bigotry background and her daddy issues, some rather lighthearted extraneous stuff about hobbies and character habits, the stuff Awakening and Fates supports thrive on, would have actually fleshed her out even more.

Ilyana is less a human and more a Pokemon, and even less a Pokemon and more a joke. What can be said? FE unfortunately finds itself getting one-note characters with some frequency due to having a totally new cast of ~40 per game. There is only so much creative juice that be infused into the characters of a given game. I've been doing the Affinity Missions in XCX en masse, and with a much smaller playable cast (though plenty more NPCs and their intriguing quests), I can find something of a similar issue.

Yeah, but even he has a little bit more to him than Mia or Nephenee. Mia is just "where's my rival! Spar with me!" and Nephenee is just "I hate my country roots."

Kieran has his one-sided rivalry with Oscar, a really heroic attitude, legit friendship with Geoffrey, and a great loyalty to Crimea and Elincia. He also loves his horse dearly and treats it and even his weapons as his "brothers in arms" lol. He doesn't know how to relax either. And also, he's entertaining. Mia isn't even that either, imo. She just sucks.

That's not to say I don't wish we had a little bit more on him though. He certainly isn't as deep or developed as some other characters.

Edited by Anacybele

Well there are well-done characters that are rather one-note, and those who they didn't even try with. Kieran (and I guess Owain and Arthur) fall into the former, and Mia and Ilyana into the other. And Mia, if you never bothered to read her supports, and most people haven't read them, isn't so awful, she just comes off as perky and cool.

Takumi, hands down:

I appreciate that he is one of the very few characters in Fates that doesn't kiss Corrin's feet from the get-go, and he has perfectly justified reasons for doing so. His actions throughout the story also felt realistic. I mean, if a random soldier claiming to be your long-lost sibling appeared after living within an enemy nation for so long, and said soldier ultimately returned to deliver a tragedy that would result in your mother's death, why wouldn't you be pissed? 

Perhaps the main reason why I really like Takumi is because of how relatable he is. He shares many of the insecurities I had during my life. His inferiority complex he experiences within his family reminds me of the inferiority complex I experienced amongst my friends in high school. The way how Takumi turns very vocal about his insecurities was also much like how I acted back then in similar circumstances. He also feels anxious and worries what others think of him, and he does what he can to make others think of him well. I'm like as well. Takumi really is the most relatable character in any work of fiction I've ever encountered (at the time of this post).

Also helps that Takumi is one amazing unit overall who wields one of the coolest-looking bows I've ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Erureido said:

Takumi, hands down:

Thank goodness I thought I was the only one. I too enjoy Takumi's skeptical and defiant personality, it's understandable and sensible. I love his character design too, his long hair and awesome outfit, I even brought Birthright cartridge over conquest because I saw him and Ryoma's style.

I've got quite a few favorite characters but the first one that comes to mind is Leo. The first time I saw him I was immediately drawn to him. At first it  was based on aesthetics alone but after my second playthrough of Conquest I grew to love his personality and overall support conversations. Sure he's not one of the best royal units but I always use him anyways.

I love a lot of characters in Fire Emblem, but my first answer is always Kent to this question. 

FE7 was the first game I played, so nostalgia is a factor that I won't deny, and I have to admit to loving the loyal knight types. He's pretty serious and dedicated, but he comes across as adorable to me in his supports with Farina, especially. I like his other supports, too, but that one always stood out to me. I adore his camaraderie with Sain, and how he always seems to struggle with his feelings (like with conversations about Fiora and Lyn). So he's dependable, but also a bit dense in certain matters xD 

Plus I very much like his design ^.^ It may not be as flashy as some, but I don't always need flashy. A simple red knight will do me fine :D 

@Erureido @Altina He's another of my favorites.  I can relate to his skepticism, though not in the ways one might think.  And I can also relate to the desire to be helpful and useful to others.  Maybe not to the extent it goes with him where he'll try to force his sister to leave him behind when he's wounded, but I don't like standing around being useless.

He and Leo are the best written main characters in Fates, hands down.

Really hard for me to choose someone, lmao :D

I super like Seth because he is OP AF and can easily solo the entire war like HE is the one possessed by the Demon King. And something about that red hair...

My two top Lords are Sigurd and Eliwood.

Eliwood gets a lot of dislike for some reason. I guess because he is not popular Lyn or strong Hector. Still, I always liked Eliwood a lot. He may seem bland but he goes through a lot while the other two often seem like things are going well. Honestly, with Eli it is more like... I just like him. I see something in him, haha.

Sigurd... I feel for him but then I love quite a few FE4-5 characters, haha. Sigurd seems to be one of the more mature lords with actual burden right from the beginning and it only gets worse... Arguably, Leif or Marth had to shoulder a lot as well though but Sigurd went that extra mile. When someone says FE Lord, to me, it immediately pictures Sigurd. Do not forget that freaking horse jump when he fights :D

I'm really bad at picking favorites, but I'll go with Pelleas.

He grows up as an orphan and spends his life as a commoner, to be suddenly picked off the streets by some mad scientist from Ashnard's regime and Ashnard's abused wife, and is immediately proclaimed the true King of Daein. And as if that surprise isn't big enough already, he is immediately burdened with responsibilities he has no idea how to handle and he has never had any training for (statesmanship, military command).
Naturally, he always has to depend for support on others who do know how to handle such responsibilities (Almedha, Izuka, Micaiah, Tauroneo, the Black Knight). That works out well in some regards (as it leads to a successful liberation and - until the blood pact comes along - restoration of Daein) and not so well in other regards (as he is overshadowed by Micaiah and betrayed by Izuka). I think it's very telling that he does not see Micaiah as a threat to his authority (like Izuka does): he's very kind and trusting, which really appeals to me. 
It was also heart-warming to me to see how he grew. He finally lives up to his responsibilities when he addresses the Daein Liberation Army before their final assault on Nevassa, and afterwards takes full responsibility for the nation when he is King. It's a shame the blood pact comes along to ruin that growth, but it does allow his character to develop in a different way. Ultimately, I think he quickly accepted it when he found out (even if he was wrong about it) that he had to be killed in order to end the blood pact. He was willing to give his life for his people and for peace, and I think he himself saw that death as a fitting end for him: he felt responsible for the horrible war he had gotten Daein into and saw his sacrifice as the only way for him to atone.
To me, that also shows that he feels a great sense of duty. Honestly, he could simply have said "No, I can't handle this, so I'm not going to do it" to Izuka at the very beginning or he could have refused the kingship and let Micaiah be queen; I don't think the people of Daein would have minded that at all. But he felt obliged to take his responsibility, for his country and his people. I like that.

I also have a soft spot for tragic characters and dark mages (but Pelleas was already among my favorites before I found out he was a dark magic user).

Arvis is a close second for me though.

As of now my favorite character is Geitz from FE7.

If you read all of his supports in FE7, he seems to act differently in all of his supports. Form being a stereotypical "lets fight!" warrior, to being an edgy guy, he seems to drift through personalities, trying to find the one that suites him. I, at least, find it a great concept, and all in all, after looking at all of them, you find that he is a kind guy who just wants to find his place in the world.

My all time favourite character is Marth. Always has been, and always will be. I have no idea why I like him, I just find him extremely interesting, despite the little characterisation he gets. I will defend him though, as I've had past experiences where...well, it wasn't fun.

Other favourites include Robin, Tobin, Gray, Xane, Roy, Eliwood, Kaze, the Nohr siblings, Rhys, Sain, Caeda, Tiki, Ninian and Sanaki.

Micaiah is also growing on me for some reason...

Jarod because he's an antagonist who's written well actually.
Despite he was fooled by Numida he still shows his loyality towards Begnion till his bitter end.
I really enjoyed his dialogues to Daein's and Begnion's soldiers and especially to BK.

Edited by はたの 秦 こころ

• 2 weeks later...

Lucina because she reminds me of Future Trunks who is also a badass future child of a main protagonist looking to get shit done.

Setsuna is another one of my favorites because everything she says makes me laugh out loud literally. Same can be said about Owain/Odin.