Voice Acting for FE Switch?

After getting it in Shadows of Valentia I'm hoping that voice acting is a thing for all fire emblem games from this point on. But Shadows of Valentia had a pretty small cast of 30 something playable characters compared to Fates like 70+ player characters. A new switch game would probably have a pretty big cast of characters so voice acting could be expensive... But the voice acting really made Shadows of Valentia great.

So what are the odds of the new switch game having voice acting?

I don't think they can go back now. It really adds a lot and generally it seems it was received well due to the high quality work. I think maybe if the cast is a lot bigger, and if supports are longer, those wouldn't be voiced, which I'd be ok with as long as the story has voice acting.

Pretty good odds, I would say. Obviously we can't accurately speculate given that we know nothing of FE Switch and what they're going for. But in a release interview for SoV, they allude to some big aspirations with their long awaited return to home consoles and how they intend to portray characters. Plus SoV had very little development time compared to other games in the series which makes the presence of full voice acting even more impressive to fit in along with the almost simultaneous worldwide release.

I'd say it'd have a 90% chance for it to happen. Think about it, Echoes of course started it, but they did state in the latest scan of Fire Emblem Warriors that it'd have full voice acting as well. So with this in mind, and how well it was received by the community for Echoes, it'd be foolish for them NOT to include it from now on.

They might blow the entire voice acting budget on Morgan Freeman to narrate the intermissions. Of course, that'd be worth it.

More seriously, I agree with what has been said: they can't go back now after Echoes. It would be seen as a major step back and lead to a lot of disappointment. While Echoes had a smaller cast than normal and would thus be cheaper and easier to fully voice, there's no way Fire Emblem Switch doesn't have a budget that can't be compared to that of its predecessor. 

Sure they'll probably keep it in for everyone. But maybe not all the time though- just the important stuff.

I'd be perfectly fine if VAs were gone from FE entirely, not saying I hate it or anything. I did turn mute the voices in SoV, and muted the SoV during the credits, as I did in Fates and its final battles (I don't like lyrics I can understand in video game music- feels a little contrived). But I have no real qualms with voice acting- I've happily beaten both Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (aka the game someone once joked was recorded underwater- I can see where they were coming from) and Arc Rise Fantasia (Ryfia's VA is possibly not a native English speaker). VAs are a part of video games I which I just accept, with what is ultimately only minor care as to its quality and quantity.

20 hours ago, Thane said:

They might blow the entire voice acting budget on Morgan Freeman to narrate the intermissions. Of course, that'd be worth it.

Yes.

I think there will be voice acting in this. I thought it was a nice touch to SOV, and brought it to life in a sense. Poor Alm, the guy was practically a sad kitten with everything that was thrown at him. Heartstrings may or may not have been pulled.

I need to get my voice acting game on. Come on, IS, You Want. Me.

I'd really like it, but even if it is just for story scenes, it'd be something.

I don't really like Fates and Awakening's grunt or random words style. I've always disliked games that do this. It just sounds stupid to me. I'd rather it be silent than that, honestly, since it doesn't add anything, unlike SoV where the voice acting really does heighten the game.

On 6/8/2017 at 5:18 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sure they'll probably keep it in for everyone. But maybe not all the time though- just the important stuff.

I'd be perfectly fine if VAs were gone from FE entirely, not saying I hate it or anything. I did turn mute the voices in SoV, and muted the SoV during the credits, as I did in Fates and its final battles (I don't like lyrics I can understand in video game music- feels a little contrived). But I have no real qualms with voice acting- I've happily beaten both Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (aka the game someone once joked was recorded underwater- I can see where they were coming from) and Arc Rise Fantasia (Ryfia's VA is possibly not a native English speaker). VAs are a part of video games I which I just accept, with what is ultimately only minor care as to its quality and quantity.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

Lost In Thoughts All Alone and Inheritors of Arcadia are amazing songs. Why would you mute songs that are amazing?

And on-topic, yeah, I want VAs in the new game.

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

Lost In Thoughts All Alone and Inheritors of Arcadia are amazing songs. Why would you mute songs that are amazing?

I shall admit I was expecting this making such a statement.

Listening to the Smash 4 version without lyrics of Lost In Thoughts All Alone, I really appreciate the underlying composition, I'm just not big into lyrics I can understand. I don't have the same problem with Japanese lyrics or French or Latin or whatever, but in English, well the lyrics feel unnatural and forced, particularly with a magical song with magical properties. I also prefer musical and opera music sans lyrics, it's less of a loss not having them than having them is for me. 

I'm sure it will have voice acting for all the story scenes, but for everything else I'm not so sure. Voice acting is expensive especially for the good talent, and if there are as many characters as Fates it may be too expensive to do full voice acting.

On 6/10/2017 at 5:29 AM, Cute Chao said:

I'd really like it, but even if it is just for story scenes, it'd be something.

I don't really like Fates and Awakening's grunt or random words style. I've always disliked games that do this. It just sounds stupid to me. I'd rather it be silent than that, honestly, since it doesn't add anything, unlike SoV where the voice acting really does heighten the game.

Yeah, Echoes really showed me how much I don't like Awakening/Fates' limited voices compared to actual full voice acting. Heck, more often than not, the limited phrases barely matched what the characters were saying.

I'm expecting full voice acting for the main story at minimum. As for supports, not sure.

Edited by Sentinel07

On 6/7/2017 at 11:20 PM, Book Bro said:

I don't think they can go back now.

On 6/10/2017 at 3:20 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't have the same problem with Japanese lyrics

This reminded me, we had dual audio in awakening and they got rid of it in fates despite a lot of people wanting it. I'm not an expert on this but I'm pretty sure that taking audio that you already recorded for the Japanese version of the game and putting it into another version of the game is a lot easier to do than getting a bunch of voice actors and having them say hundreds of lines to put into the game. They still went back and got rid of that so them not being able to go back might mean nothing.

On another note without region lock on the switch we'd probably get dual audio again.

4 hours ago, Pin4apple said:

This reminded me, we had dual audio in awakening and they got rid of it in fates despite a lot of people wanting it. I'm not an expert on this but I'm pretty sure that taking audio that you already recorded for the Japanese version of the game and putting it into another version of the game is a lot easier to do than getting a bunch of voice actors and having them say hundreds of lines to put into the game. They still went back and got rid of that so them not being able to go back might mean nothing.

It's not that simple. Sometimes voice actors sign a contract that says their work can only be used in Japan.

On 6/8/2017 at 3:43 PM, Thane said:

More seriously, I agree with what has been said: they can't go back now after Echoes. It would be seen as a major step back and lead to a lot of disappointment. While Echoes had a smaller cast than normal and would thus be cheaper and easier to fully voice, there's no way Fire Emblem Switch doesn't have a budget that can't be compared to that of its predecessor. 

Either him or Sean Bean would be perfect but they would blow the budget. 

Considering Echoes and now Warriors have full voice-acting, it would be weird for FE Switch to not have it. But if they have a full 70+ cast yeah then we could run into some problem, but other than that i see no real reason to not do it.

On 06/13/2017 at 6:58 AM, Lightchao42 said:

For Fates, the assumption is it has to do with Renka and her song.

Aqua's singer voice in JP causes a lot of copyright issues on YouTube.

It caused so many issues that the Korean version of FE14... Which even kept the Japanese name "If"... Used English even though the usual voices they get are Japanese.

Edited by shadowofchaos

On 11/06/2017 at 6:12 PM, Sentinel07 said:

Yeah, Echoes really showed me how much I don't like Awakening/Fates' limited voices compared to actual full voice acting. Heck, more often than not, the limited phrases barely matched what the characters were saying.

Yeah, the New Super Mario Bros-esque grunts were ok when we had first contact with them, but it's time to improve.

I don't see why it couldn't be fully voiced. Even in a game that spans as many chapters as Fates or Radiant Dawn, there are not many characters who will get lenghty dialogues. Probably the main characters and the most important support characters at best, while the others would be limited to map comments + supports. Fire Emblem is earning Nintendo a lot of money, can't see how they lack a budget for a fully voiced game with improved graphics.

On 6/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, Rapier said:

Yeah, the New Super Mario Bros-esque grunts were ok when we had first contact with them, but it's time to improve.

I don't see why it couldn't be fully voiced. Even in a game that spans as many chapters as Fates or Radiant Dawn, there are not many characters who will get lenghty dialogues. Probably the main characters and the most important support characters at best, while the others would be limited to map comments + supports. Fire Emblem is earning Nintendo a lot of money, can't see how they lack a budget for a fully voiced game with improved graphics.

When you think about it that might actually be the most challenging part about it.  I mean for the main characters those VAs will obviously get paid more for their time and roles.  However, for minor characters that have minimal dialogue (talking 4-5 lines at most) then it might be hard to convince someone to put in time for it for what little you would pay them for it.  I can see that being challenging.