Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back confirmed for PS4 and PC

Armagon

Yep. You read that right. Bubsy is getting a new game. We now live in a world where Bubsy gets a new game before F-Zero, Metroid, and Mega Man (no, Legacy Collection 2 does not count). You can read more here: http://gematsu.com/2017/06/accolade-returns-announces-bubsy-woolies-strike-back-ps4-pc

I MEAN, WHAT COULD PAW-SSIBLY GO WRONG, AMIRITE?!

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yep. You read that right. Bubsy is getting a new game. We now live in a world where Bubsy gets a new game before F-Zero, Metroid, and Mega Man (no, Legacy Collection 2 does not count). You can read more here: http://gematsu.com/2017/06/accolade-returns-announces-bubsy-woolies-strike-back-ps4-pc

THe difference is that F-zero, Metroid, and mega man are owned by reasionably big companies who presumably have a lot of good options as for which game to do next (and reasons like "the creater isn't around any more" or "the last one sold horably" for why to not do them). They are also big enough that New IPs have a decent chance due to promotions and brand recognition). Acolade, on the other hand, has no good options for established IPs, and an uphill climb to make a new IP stand out in this market, so they chose bubsy (the "interview" on the website implies that the steam "port" of bubsy 1 and 2 (by which i mean, they slapped the roms in a open source emulator, and sold it on steam) did well, although tongue is so far in check that it is hard to tell).

Edited by sirmola

1 minute ago, sirmola said:

THe difference is that F-zero, Metroid, and mega man are owned by reasionably big companies who presumably have a lot of good options as for which game to do next (and reasons like "the creater isn't around any more" or "the last one sold horably" for why to not do them). They are also big enough that New IPs have a decent chance due to promotions and brand recognition). Acolade, on the other hand, has no good options for established IPs, and an uphill climb to make a new IP stand out in this market, so they chose bubsy (the "interview" on the website implies that the steam "port" of bubsy 1 and 2 (by which i mean, they slapped the roms in a open source emulator, and sold it on steam) did well, although tongue is so far in check that it is hard to tell).

TFW i was reacting jokingly to the news of the new Bubsy game coming out and then someone responds with facts.

But still, BUBSY'S BACK!

Jesus Christ. 

I was joking when I said Bubsy 3D deserved a remake/sequel on this site a few months back. 

I DIDN'T KNOW! I'M SORRY, EVERYBODY! 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

But hey, some people are so fascinated by "going wrong" that they're bound to get some sales!
Time will tell if this is actually a significant improvement, another mediocre piece or it remains a travesty.

Bubsy's sheer legacy is "so bad it's good"; the fact they'd make this means either they think they can do something really great... or are going to try to do the worst they can.

31 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Jesus Christ. 

I was joking when I said Bubsy 3D deserved a remake/sequel on this site a few months back. 

I DIDN'T KNOW! I'M SORRY, EVERYBODY! 

Frankly I don't know whether to be amused or offended by this whole development.

But one thing's for sure, this comment of yours made it even funnier.

(Also, for some reason I keep thinking you're ModelOmega even though you're probably not.)

6 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

(Also, for some reason I keep thinking you're ModelOmega even though you're probably not.)

Definitely not.

7 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's a Bubsy game. Safe answer is on "no".

Kind of silly to say, boyo. Yeah, the past Bubsy games were hot messes but it's unfair to say this one won't be alright. New game, new team.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

TFW i was reacting jokingly to the news of the new Bubsy game coming out and then someone responds with facts.

But still, BUBSY'S BACK!

Oops. It remains hard to discern tone on the internet.

52 minutes ago, Emeraldfox said:

Kind of silly to say, boyo. Yeah, the past Bubsy games were hot messes but it's unfair to say this one won't be alright. New game, new team.

Apperently, the developers are "black forest games", who previously developed "giana sisters: twisted dreams". That game (which was a nostaglia fueled sequel to a game on the commodore 64) has a "very positive" steam review average, so i could see this being good. The being said, the boast of "over 100 new one-liners" sounds like a bad sign.

2 minutes ago, sirmola said:

The being said, the boast of "over 100 new one-liners" sounds like a bad sign.

I remember, like, two years ago, Crystal Dynamics was doing surveys to see if people would be excited for a new Gex game.

What a weird, weird time we live in.

Well, I mean, it's coming at a time when Sonic's been churning out real trite (though it remains to be seen if the next one will be good or bad), so... maybe it has a chance?

Though Bubsy is a horribly designed character, akin to some of the worst of Fates trope characters.  Like, his big pull is... having bad luck?  Except he has no charm like Arthur; he's just annoying as hell.  So it's almost guaranteed that probably no one will like the character himself.  The appeal will be strictly gameplay unless they overhaul Bubsy's character or add some charm outside of that character.

But yeah, talk about scraping the bottom of the goddamn barrel.  Actually it's more like scraping the rust off of a quarter-century old shovel.  Still an interesting development...  Though I'm not gonna be surprised if it flops.

I have a stronger feeling it'll be trying to "rebirth" the identity, for lack of a better word? I always did feel bubsy was just a case of "terribly misguided" mixed with "devs that don't know what they're doing/had way too much they had to do" and "just a bunch of bad timing and circumstances" and could have under better cases been the looney toons parallel in the gaming world, or something.

Dunno, prolly giving it too much credit. But it'll be interesting to see where the actual fuck something like this goes.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Well, I mean, it's coming at a time when Sonic's been churning out real trite (though it remains to be seen if the next one will be good or bad), so... maybe it has a chance?

Boom wasn't even made by Sonic Team though and Lost World was more mediocre (Yet it was received fairly well on Steam due in part to people modding SA styled levels haha, although its more mixed now). 

I have no doubts that Mania will be spectacular and Forces will be at least a modestly good game (it does have the Unleashed/Colors/Generations team behind it) but theres no reason you need to make such a negative statement.

Edited by Jedi

To be honest, a part of me genuinely hopes this game is at least decent. Because i'm legitamtly interested in playing this even though i don't have a PS4 and my PC kinda sucks.

I also feel like this game will get decent sales because of the meme status surrounding Bubsy. 

They should've saved this reveal for E3 though. Imagine at the end, after the Nintendo E3 Direct and whatever Sony and Microsoft do, at the very end, we see the Bubsy: Woolies Strike Back trailer. Just imagine the surprise and shock and memes.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Meanwhile, Klonoa, the cat with actually good games, sits in a corner neglected. Maybe in one of those sad pet shelters. Whyyyyy :sob:

I know about the pie thief but who are the other Woolies?

And to think that the poster boy of shitty Sonic clones gets a new game. This year just keeps getting crazier. Can't we at least get Jazz Jackrabbit back? Those games were actually good and are fondly remembered. Well, except for that weird GBA thing.

Anyway, I'm not sure that memes are going to help Bubsy. I mean, does anyone even pretend to like the character and his game like people do with classics like Big Rigs?

Edited by BrightBow

19 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I mean, does anyone even pretend to like the character and his game like people do with classics like Big Rigs?

believe me, I know from experience

they do

Meanwhile on the Sonic twitter there is already a Bubsy/Sonic/Megaman crossover. Those modern social media guys waste no time.

Come to think of it, that means that Megaman is now officially deader then Bubsy. ...shit.

Edited by BrightBow

7 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Meanwhile on the Sonic twitter there is already a Bubsy/Sonic/Megaman crossover. Those modern social media guys waste no time.

Come to think of it, that means that Megaman is now officially deader then Bubsy. ...shit.

I must be dreaming...