Act 4 Alm's Side + Promotion question

So, two questions. First, how do I open Alm's side? I already talked with the gate keeper guy, gave him oils (actually, I made Celica give it to Alm because I hate fetch quests) and he still didn't open the gate for Alm to pass. I have no idea what I should be doing, other than grind. I think the game might be locking the gate on purpose since my team ratio is, like, 800 and Prince Vegeta Berkut next door is 1800.

Second, I've unlocked Alm's promotion. I know that, ideally, we should promote as soon as we can, but I fear breaking the game if I promote Alm so fast. I didn't make any progress with him since act 4 started. Would his promotion break his route or not?

Edited by Rapier

18 minutes ago, David Boey said:

Are you on the right spot? (As in, not the left spot) The sluice gate is off the beaten track. That's the only thing I can think of.

... facepalm

I have no idea how I didn't notice I had to go right, then up. Oh well, thanks.

The whole promoting asap vs. waiting debate for this game will never end, but I think everyone can at least agree on waiting to promote Alm. You want his stats as high as possible for the endgame, and since he's such a great unit he'll usually end up high leveled anyway.

Alm's base stats as a promoted unit may actually exceed his, unpromoted (even at a higher level), so it may be better to simply promote him

Edited by Agro

I got to the end of Alm's route first, so he had to wait for Celica to catch up to unlock his promotion. I don't think he was quite level 20, but he was still pretty high, and chances are he would be quite levelled by the time he gets that far. So, I think promoting him after you get to the end of his Act 4 path is reasonable.

Well, since the first question was already answered, I'll go on to the second one...

I would suggest waiting to promote him until he's level 20 or close to that.  Though regardless of when you promote him, unless you don't use him at all (which would be foolish) or he somehow gets RNG screwed, he's gonna be a pretty broken anyway.  But you'll want him to be like that.  For one, it'll save you a lot of headache for the battle with Rudolf if Alm is really OP.  And for another, there's a part where you're gonna be forced to use only him to fight somewhat powerful enemies.

I think by the time you get him to a point where he can promote, he'll probably be a high enough level to safely promote anyway.  Or if you feel he could level up some more, just have him assault Nuibaba's Abode.