Starting Trachia 776

OrangePerson

Most of what makes Thracia 776 hard is not the strength of the enemies (they're actually quite weak), but all the difficult situations it puts you in.

For example, in Chapter 4, Leif and Lifis are the only characters from the previous chapters whom you have control over.  They get thrown in Fort Kelbeth's dungeon and their inventories are emptied and scattered throughout chests.  You have no indication that this is going to happen and it's very tough even if you have advance knowledge of what's going to happen and prepare accordingly.

I would highly recommend playing with ModelOmega's video guides on YouTube.  They are very comprehensive and helpful to understanding the ins and outs of the game's mechanics and how each chapter plays out.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

21 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Most of what makes Thracia 776 hard is not the strength of the enemies (they're actually quite weak), but all the difficult situations it puts you in.

For example, in Chapter 4, Leif and Lifis are the only characters from the previous chapters whom you have control over.  They get thrown in Fort Kelbeth's dungeon and their inventories are emptied and scattered throughout chests.  You have no indication that this is going to happen and it's very tough even if you have advance knowledge of what's going to happen and prepare accordingly.

I would highly recommend playing with ModelOmega's video guides on YouTube.  They are very comprehensive and helpful to understanding the ins and outs of the game's mechanics and how each chapter plays out.

The general reaction to this game is: "this game isn't that har...OH GOD" with that second part generaly occuring when chapter 4 starts. And that's not even getting into optional things like recruiting xavier (which is unanamiously considered to be the hardest recruitment in the entire series, bar none.).

Also, use the guides on the main section of this website, like the secrets section, the character recruitment section, and the item locations section. Chapter maps are available at:http://www.fireemblemwod.com/ENG_fe5.htm

I also used the LP at: https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Thracia-776/

Edited by sirmola

I'd recommend to stay clear of the ModelOmega guide that was recommended earlier. For one his recommended strategies are kinda bad and two one of the great joys of the game is coming up with your own strategies for all the different unique situations the game puts you in. I'd recommend FEWoD that sirmola linked to and of course the Serenes Forest page for the game for help understand the mechanics better. There was also this pretty good spoiler free guide written by feplus

thracia_776_guide.docx

On some maps, you need to have Leaf approach a certain space that the boss is standing on and press the first menu option to continue.  There's no indication that you need to do this and the game never outright tells you about it anywhere.  It's this kind of game design that makes Thracia BS, but I digress.

2 hours ago, Refa said:

On some maps, you need to have Leaf approach a certain space that the boss is standing on and press the first menu option to continue.  There's no indication that you need to do this and the game never outright tells you about it anywhere.  It's this kind of game design that makes Thracia BS, but I digress.

You mean "seizing", something that's been in Fire Emblem since before AND after Thracia 776?

The game also does tell you this, but since those of us who don't read Japanese are playing on incomplete translations, we can't read the objectives in the data menu. 

Edited by Slumber

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

You mean "seizing", something that's been in Fire Emblem since before AND after Thracia 776?

The game also does tell you this, but since those of us who don't read Japanese are playing on incomplete translations, we can't read the objectives in the data menu. 

About that ... someone just finished a menu translation. It can be found here:

FInaly, I can play thracia without garbage text in all the menus.

Fair warning: he added true hit to some versions of the patch. For an authentic experience with no game-play changes, make sure to use the "single roll" patch.

One more thing: this game has a hidden "elite mode" that doubles everyone's EXP gains (check the secrets section of this website).I used it, but it does not help quite as much as you would think.

Well, good luck. 

As sirmola said, this game works quite differently compared to other games of the series. The game loves to place you against apparently impossible odds, and to urge you to advance. And fatifgue means you can't rely on a single powefull unit all the time.

Some other tips :

Shops are scarce and money as well, so capture (or steal) is often the way to go to get Equipment. 

As a side note, uits that can't fight back (healer) will get captured.

Status effects last forever until cured.

Also for escape maps, have everyone flees before Leif, or they will be lost (not forever, but until the near end game)

5 hours ago, sirmola said:

About that ... someone just finished a menu translation. It can be found here:

FInaly, I can play thracia without garbage text in all the menus.

Fair warning: he added true hit to some versions of the patch. For an authentic experience with no game-play changes, make sure to use the "single roll" patch.

One more thing: this game has a hidden "elite mode" that doubles everyone's EXP gains (check the secrets section of this website).I used it, but it does not help quite as much as you would think.

Neat. I'll need to start a new playthrough this summer with that menu translation, just to check it out.

And yeah. Elite mode certainly makes some units more viable, but having fewer weak/underleveled units doesn't really address what actually makes T776 hard.

Golden Rule: Use the Paragon mode code.
-Use Leif enough in the first chapters to get his sword level to a B rank so he can use the Fire Sword
-Have Leif use the speed ring.
-Have Lifis use the Angelic Robe/HP ring before chapter 4.
-Use Lifis and raise his level as much as possible before chapter 4 starts, and make sure he keeps the Hezul scroll all the while.
-KO the guards in Chapter 4 with Karin while she has multiple scrolls equipped
-Save the children in chapter 4. I'm not kidding.
-Empty Evayle's inventory before chapter 4.
-If you capture Shiva in chapter 2x, don't release him.
-The stat caps are 20 across the board (except HP, obviously); It's not a stats game anymore, and as a result, it's okay to promote a little earlier so that units can start building proficiency in another weapon, in some cases.
-Don't talk to Pahn/Pirn unless it's Lara.
-Give Leif/Lifis the Brave axe right before chapter 4 so Dalsin can use it in chapter 4.

Edited by Kysafen

If you take less than the full amount of items into chapter 4 (by leaving empty spots in leaf and lifus's inventory), some of the chests that would have contained items from their inventories contain free items instead. This can include a steal sword, a javelin, and a rapier (and iirc, a vulniarity or something, but i can't remember for sure). THe javelin is of questionable usefulness given that you have no lance users untill chapter 6 (when you get outside and karin can get on her mount), but fergus does really well with the rapier, and you can always use more swords for this part, as they are in short supply.

DOn't remove evel's weapons before chapter 4 (she needs to fight some enemies), but do give them to nana before lief opens the arena gate in chapter 5. Also, make sure that evel does not rescue nana.

Edited by sirmola

58 minutes ago, sirmola said:

Don't remove Eyvel's weapons before Chapter 4 (she needs to fight some enemies), but do give them to Nanna before Leif opens the arena gate in Chapter 5. Also, make sure that Eyvel does not rescue Nanna.

Actually, Eyvel will automatically start with an Iron Blade if she has no weapons in her inventory when Chapter 3 is cleared.

17 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Actually, Eyvel will automatically start with an Iron Blade if she has no weapons in her inventory when Chapter 3 is cleared.

Never mind, then. Totaly remove all of them. Still make sure that you don't rescue nana, though. Evale will get petrified, and nana will be unabtainable untill lategame if you have her rescued.

2 hours ago, sirmola said:

DOn't remove evel's weapons before chapter 4 (she needs to fight some enemies), but do give them to nana before lief opens the arena gate in chapter 5. Also, make sure that evel does not rescue nana.

All of Eyvel's items will be automatically send to the storage before chapter 4.

Edited by BrightBow

My tips

*Prf weapons are ridiculously overpowered so don't waste them. At the same time don't be afraid to use them either, they have high uses and you can repair them with Hammerine even after they break. I ended the game with about 20 uses left on Finn's brave lance and I kind of regret it.

*Status effects don't naturally wear off. This makes poison actually threatening but don't be too quick to use a Restore Staff. If someone hits you with Berserk and you don't have a restore staff then your sort of screwed.

*Once you capture an enemy you can steal their stuff by trading with them.

*Blizzard is a long range tome that puts enemies to sleep. It's extremely useful. Try to steal as many as you can. Especially since enemies usually come with warp or rewarp staves too.

*Enemies will capture a unit if they have no weapons equipped. This can actually save your healers if you leave them exposed but be careful, because the enemy will steal your stuff too.

*One particularly fun infinite money trick is to steal weapons from enemies with a thief. If there's a shop on the map they will actually go to it and buy more. Then you can just keep stealing them on player phase and they're helpless XD

*Crusader Scrolls influence growth rates and negate critical hits. I don't think the game even hints what they do.

*Stealing is based on the BLD stat which has a growth rate, so put the Neir scroll on your thief and try to train them a bit.

*Don't try to lump all your exp onto one unit. 

*Magic and Res are the same stat in this game. This makes Holy Water and Barrier incredibly useful items as they boost your offensive magic to very high degrees.

*The biggest one, don't hover your cursor over Heroes on the final few maps. It will freeze your game with the Translation Patch. Unless it's been fixed since I played it.

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

*The biggest one, don't hover your cursor over Heroes on the final few maps. It will freeze your game with the Translation Patch. Unless it's been fixed since I played it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the patch i linked above fixed it. Specifically, It looks like he built the patch from scratch (it is based on a different build of the game). As such, I would not be surprised if the bug was not even i thing in this version to begin with. THat being said, savestate before the first time you do that, just in case. (by Heroes, he means any enemy with the same class as glazus during the last 3 chapters, although glazus himself is okay.

One more thing: this game lies to you about how crits work. Each character has a hidden stat called pursuit critical coeficent or pcc for short. This ranges from 0 to 5. In battle, the crit rate for the first hit is caped at 20%, regardless of displayed crit. For the second hit, the actual crit rate is displayed crit times pcc. This is why fergus is so good. His pcc is 5, so any setup that involves him having more than 20 displayed crit will result in the second attack always critting.

13 hours ago, sirmola said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the patch i linked above fixed it. Specifically, It looks like he built the patch from scratch (it is based on a different build of the game). As such, I would not be surprised if the bug was not even i thing in this version to begin with. THat being said, savestate before the first time you do that, just in case. (by Heroes, he means any enemy with the same class as glazus during the last 3 chapters, although glazus himself is okay.

One more thing: this game lies to you about how crits work. Each character has a hidden stat called pursuit critical coeficent or pcc for short. This ranges from 0 to 5. In battle, the crit rate for the first hit is caped at 20%, regardless of displayed crit. For the second hit, the actual crit rate is displayed crit times pcc. This is why fergus is so good. His pcc is 5, so any setup that involves him having more than 20 displayed crit will result in the second attack always critting.

Well, Fergus is good for other reasons. Namely, being a mounted unit who only loses a few stat points upon dismounting, compared to nearly every other mounted unit who loses their ability to use their preferred weapons. He's one of the only mounted units who you can consistently rely on.

And you get him very early.

Edited by Slumber

On 2017-6-12 at 9:42 PM, Valkama said:

I'd recommend to stay clear of the ModelOmega guide that was recommended earlier. For one his recommended strategies are kinda bad and two one of the great joys of the game is coming up with your own strategies for all the different unique situations the game puts you in. I'd recommend FEWoD that sirmola linked to and of course the Serenes Forest page for the game for help understand the mechanics better. There was also this pretty good spoiler free guide written by feplus

thracia_776_guide.docx

FEWoD is misleading with the unit reviews tho. They say Jagens suck ass and you should always promote at level 20.

Edited by L9999

2 minutes ago, L9999 said:

FEWoD is too casual. They say Jagens suck ass. 

If you aren't doing LTC runs, they kinda do. I feel like there are plenty of ways to be hardcore with FE than just LTC speedruns.

Just now, Slumber said:

If you aren't doing LTC runs, they kinda do. I feel like there are plenty of ways to be hardcore with FE than just LTC speedruns.

I know. Archer only runs.

3 hours ago, L9999 said:

FEWoD is misleading with the unit reviews tho. They say Jagens suck ass and you should always promote at level 20.

I'm more recommending the site for maps and game mechanic explanations. I disagree with unit reviews on most sites.

8 hours ago, Valkama said:

I'm more recommending the site for maps and game mechanic explanations. I disagree with unit reviews on most sites.

Yeah, those are helpful.

About that Hammerne/Repair staff...

You only get 5 uses of it, and while it may be preferable to repair *Prf weapons that can help a lot (namely Leif's Light Sword & Finn's Brave Lance to an extent), it can also repair other staves. For instance, you can get a Warp staff at the end of Chapter 7 if you rescue Cople in Chapter 3; that staff in particular can help alleviate a lot of frustration, especially early on. Other staves such as the Rescue staff and Silence staff also have a lot of utility, albeit not matching the one of the Warp.

TL;DR: Use the Repair staff wisely, you only have 5 uses.

Can someone tell me who is trash and who is not, also should I go A or B route and is Miranda worth training, also I haven't started playing yet I wanted to see all of Omega's videos first.

Generally, nobody is trash (except maybe Ronan). Early units can have their stats modified with scrolls and late game units tend to have pretty good bases. If a unit has a prf weapon they're likely going to be really good. Overall I rate Thracia as having one of the most balanced casts in the game (a decision also influenced by the aforementioned point of stats not actually mattering a whole lot in this game). There is one joke character who has rubbish bases and growths but even he's really useful as he comes with Bargain. Oh and if someone has staff access then you should absolutely train them since staves are invaluable in this game.