Order of playing FE 4 and FE 5

Crubat

Can I play Thracia 776 before playing genealogy of the holy war or do I have to play that first? Cause I would like to play Thracia 776 and not feel like playing FE 4 but I wanted to ask just in case.

Playing FE4 first to completion is what I'd recommend for proper enjoyment of the Judgral story. Thracia is set during the second half of Genealogy and it does not hesitate to spoil any plot details:

Spoiler

The opening demo has spoilers for FE4 in it. Sure, you mightn't know if you bumbled into FE5 why we should care that the lord's parents died, but they happen to be playable in FE4. It stings watching Cuan and Ethlin die in Chapter 5. Let alone the Battle of Barhara later down the track...

If you only care about gameplay, then FE4 is not necessary to play FE5. Gameplay mechanics in Thracia are very different from FE4's mechanics: things like fatigue and dismount are not present in FE4. Well the latter is technically not true, but you-know-who's not ever going to use the command.

I agree with that. Additionally, one of the endgame plot twists is something that you are supposed to figure out given a decent amount of info. Good luck doing that if you haven't played fe4. That being said, FE4 has an excellent LP which does its story justice. If you just want fe4's story delivered in a satisfying way, without actualy playing it, you can just read the LP of FE4, and then play FE5. That being said, if you want your first play-through of fe4 to be unspoiled, and don't want your plot delivered in an LP, be sure to play fe4 first. That LP can be found here: https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Geneology-of-the-Holy-War/

Another thing: some people recommend playing the first half of fe4, then fe5, and then the second half of fe4. Do NOT do this. Although the big spoilers are from the first half of fe4. fe5 has a lot of references to the second half of fe4 as well. (the above-mentioned endgame spoiler from fe5 spoils a plot twist from the final chapter of fe4, for example).

I hear a fen translation patch update that translates the menues was recently posted to this forum.