Sea Creatures and DLC Spending Habits  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How much DLC do you buy?

• None
    • Very Little
    • Some
    • A Fair Amount
    • All of What Is Available

After hearing about how scummy corporate executives of the big publishers are from many sources for quite some time, I have been recently thinking about my DLC buying habits. I remember how the executives like to refer to their customers as "whales", "dolphins", and "minnows" as they really view their customers as nothing more than sacks of money to shake. Sometimes I feel like I am contributing to that mentality with my buying of DLC. I try to keep my spending to a minimum by staying in the "minnow" category as much as possible, but I go into "dolphin" and close to "whale" territory with some games. I understand the economic justification behind DLC and how it is sort of a necessary evil with the high development costs these days (although companies could stand to be more frugal and know when to cut superfluous things like voice acting to save on costs), but it still feels dirty to buy it.

When comes to DLC that was worth while, I would guess that the ones that felt satisfying were the ones that gave different classes. I really liked the witch class with its high speed and power (as well as the aesthetic, despite the witch's high-heeled boots and long strands of cloth over the legs that realistically would hamper her speed). When it comes to the more, regrettable, purchases I have made, One that really comes to mind is Revelation (although Fates in general is something I find to be an exercise in frustration).

What are your DLC spending habits? Has any of it been worth it? Anything you regret?  

In general, I'm a "some but not all" and favor things like character moments and power.

With Awakening, I bought most of the early stuff. I stopped at the Bride map, though. After a point, I didn't have the skills/stats to put up with the challenges. But I don't really regret most of those. I'm someone who enjoys getting strong and being rich, so the grinding maps were up my alley. I dug the different scenarios for the rerun maps so I don't necessarily regret buying those but I did have a limit. The scramble maps were the only series 2 dlc I bought and I don't regret it at all, I love those conversations and they're a great set of post release dlc. I didn't get any of the challenge dlc because I didn't have the stat composition to really do them and I know I wouldn't have enjoyed constantly resetting when things went south. Also in general the Eheinjar are kind of subpar prizes at the best of times.

Fates I bought the most and as such have more regrets. I bought Hidden Truths, Heirs of Fate, the grinding maps, Anna, Withc/Ballista and I believe the beach map(s?). The treasure map is actually kind of a pain and it scaling as you go through the game means I only ever beat it like once; exp & gold maps were more balanced and fun. I actually dug HT (even if the 15 minuets of exposition was totally unneeded and adds to the sloppiness of the story, I enjoyed the puzzle-esque nature of the maps) & HoF , but the Ballista map was annoying and I never actually used a ballista so... Anna I'm torn on; the map was fun and I wanted all the characters, but I never really used Anna all that much. . I didnt like the Royale maps at all. They're long, easy to mess up and while the art reward is nice it's not nice *enough* for how much of a slog it can be.
Incidentally, I got the special edition so I didn't necessarily buy revelation & conquest as dlc, but even if I did I wouldn't regret them.

Echoes I bought the deliverance maps and don't regret them at all. They reused maps in a way I wanted all of gaiden's maps to be reworked, I liked the VA and I like the goodies you get out of it.I also bought the Inner Sanctum because I wanted some extra weapons and stuff. I didn't use it that much, but I played it enough times to get my money's worth I felt. I'll likely buy the cipher dlc because, again, characters and voice acting and so forth. Hopefully I don't regret that batch!

I didn't buy the rest because I know I would have regretted it. I dont even have one character at level 20 fully promoted and I'm in the postgame dungeon that I probably won't bother beating so the overclasses are aggressively not for me (even ignoring their awful terrible no good price). The first set of grinding dlc I knew would be worthless. I didn't get the exp & silver/gold mark dlcs because grinding doesnt pay out nearl yas much and the game kind of throws a ton of silver marks at you in the first place (& I can always sell extras from the treasure dlc. Gold Marks I had enough of to do what I want

I buy big expansions, usually, or something really appealing for a game I like. Which, for FE, tends to be a small amount of DLC, since FE doesn't do expansions. 

Edited by Slumber

With Awakening, I bought the whole of Series 1, plus the extra supports stuff. I don't regret buying Series 1 much, outside of Rogues and Redeemers a little bit because I didn't play it that much. I do regret buying the beach and hot springs as I hardly touched them, but the festival was okay.

With Fates I bought nothing, a reaction against DLC under the assertion it isn't such a good value. I considered some of the DLC classes, but nothing really tempted me.

For TMS, if I ever get around to doing the superboss battle on Lunatic, I'll buy whatever DLC loads me up with Detritus so I can quickly accrue the Incenses I'll be needing.

For SoV- I don't want to by Overclasses, but since Alm's capped level and I've only started Act 6, I feel like he and Celica at least I should buy Overclasses for. I'm waiting to see how strong the Cipher characters are, if they're useful, I'll purchase them and do a second playthrough; this time maybe I'll not skip the plot and character convos. And if I get the Cipher DLC, perhaps I bite the bullet and grab Inner Sanctum (is it at all decent for EXP and Silver as well?)

I held back with my money a lot when it came to DLC, more or less because of the fact that I did not find most of them really... Well... The DLC in awakening did not have the umph that I wanted. But I will admit I bought limit break because of peer pressure and the fact that my groupies would always have their high stat teams v. my high but not limit break high stats.

Fire Emblem: Fates was a game that I felt was not the best game to play after one play through and I bought only the point blank DLC / heirs of whatever and felt it was decent.

Echoes was a game that I regret purchasing (Ironic as I like gaiden) DLC for as I felt that It was kind of excessive to buy pack 1.

the only DLC that I have ever purchased was fates map packs 1 and 2 (I bought the special edition, so the extra paths don't count as DLC). Not that I havn't played other games that have DLC (i totaly have). Fates was just the only one that made a convincing value proposition to me. THis is partely because I have played fates vastly more than most other games (given that i works on all 3 paths). I wated untill my 4th playthrough to buy DLC, and am now on my 7th (this counts different routes as different playthroughs, but they act like that for purposes of DLC utilisation).

I should note that scummy DLC tactics occasionally keep me from buying a game, period. THe mass efect 3 ending bruhaha is why I have never touched that series with a 10 foot pole.

DLC regarding FE? For Awakening I only bought the weapon, gold and exp DLC. That's also due to me getting bored after beating it once. I've bought all of the DLC+Birthright and Revelation for Fates, the Season Pass for Shadows of Valentia and all of the DLC for TMS#FE. I genuinely enjoy those three games.

Edited by Emeraldfox

I'm conflicted when it comes to DLC. I actually really like the idea of DLC so long as it provides satisfying content beyond the main game. For all the complaining, I do think Fire Emblem's DLC is mostly that.

The main issue I have is the pricing model. It just seems counter-productive and counter-intuitive for all the small bits and pieces of DLC to cost more than the full game. At least IS was smart to price the DLC versions of Fates's story paths at less than the full game.

Anyway, as for my habits, I generally buy what I need and nothing more. That said, I have been swayed on occasions.

Awakening, I only got the story and class DLC and some of the better skills. Eventually I caved and got the Golden Pack for easier grinding. For work-related purposes, I ended up buying all the DLC anyway.

Fates, I dunno what I was thinking but I bought all of the map packs. No regrets though since every DLC offered something new. The only thing I was disappointed about was the lack of the final wave of Japanese DLC.

Echoes I tried to be more careful with my money. At the moment I only have Astral Temple, Inner Sanctum and the Deliverance DLC. Later I'll be getting the Cipher DLC. Thinking of grabbing a handful of classes.

I'm that one guy who's gotten all the DLC..... on sale.

Not gotten Echoes yet, so just gotten Fates and Awakening DLC so far. So far, I only really have regret for getting the Royal battles, and possibly bothering to get some of the first/second maps in packs of three in Awakening. (Also, that grinding map was something of a necessity to promote all the units in Conquest first time round)

I rarely buy it, just out of principle. I didn't buy any for Awakening and for Fates, I just got the DLC for the grandmaster class because I like it so much. SoV DLC is mostly useless to me in terms of gameplay and I can watch the story scenes/supports on youtube.

I really do wish IS would start developing more in-depth, fully fleshed out DLC. I don't think this grinding DLC+short side story DLC does the franchise much good.

I don't know what came over me, but I brought all the DLCs for Fates except Conquest (accidentally), and it was my first time buying DLCs. Then I found out I couldn't recruit Ike, Marth or Lucina even with all of it, and that's what got me tight.

I just buy anything and everything available when it comes to Fire Emblem. It's the one series where I do this. Everywhere else, I very rarely buy DLC at all (apart from getting Vincent in FF Theatrerhythm).

People might say I'm part of the problem? I don't really care. I've enjoyed what I've bought so far, and just wish we'd got the final bit of Fates DLC, too :(

I buy what I want; I want none of Echoes DLC so their for I don't buy them, and I haven't bought all the DLC from Awakening and Fates (The child festival DLC I would buy in a heartbeat). I played the one where you get the paragon skill a lot in Awakening.

The only DLC I've bought in the history of DLC is Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival for Mass Effect 2. And those were critically acclaimed, fandom beloved and I thought they were only okay, nothing special. So FE DLC for me is not happening.

Looking at these answers has been fascinating. I never thought I would have had such a relatively even spread in the poll. Granted, the DLC for Fire Emblem is far from the worst for games these days, and the games provide a lot of content, which makes it not too bad. However, one bit of DLC I find pretty bad is the Anna DLC in Fates as it is on-cart DLC (and was a pre-order bonus to boot), which I dislike on principle.

I don't buy DLC in video games because most of them aren't worth the price to me personally or are more cosmetic. There are times I want to and I'll probably eventually cave if I have the spare cash, but it has never been that big a deal to me. The only thing that really tempts me is the story related stuff though. Like in Awakening that was the only thing I wanted, in Fates it was the same, and now after finishing Echoes I want to buy the Deliverance pack. I just like knowing as much about a games world and characters that I can, but since I can also find this stuff online I just eventually get over it. Maybe the Switch game will have a world I like so much to buy DLC for.