Ragefest V: The Enragement Ring OFFICIAL THREAD

MarkyJoe1990

Like I said, don't want to give you ideas to influence how you will play this chapter so I won't go in detail. Just know it's not a serious criticism but more of like watching a pro fumbling a pass while the crowd is groaning in discomfort.  Still entertaining though.  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a playtester of this hack, trying to beat it with no knowledge of the strategy beforehand is nigh impossible unless you pull off some miracle. It took me no less than 5 tries before I developed a cohesive strategy to beat the hack. Don't feel pissed off/annoyed that it takes a few attempts, this kind of mechanic takes a lot to get used to. Admittedly, it was impressive to see you last as long as you did.

After getting absolutely fucking furious, taking a nap to calm down, and coming back to it, I can safely say I'm enjoying this submission a lot. The beginning is really angering, but once you gain some momentum, it starts to feel a lot more manageable.

However, this submission demands my full attention, so I'm most likely only going to record the winning attempt. That, or I'll record again once I feel practiced enough in the submission. I simply cannot commentate well and pay full attention to the game at the same time.

Thankfully you guys aren't missing much in terms of blind reactions. Aside from one dick move, the submission has very few bells and whistles, so it's just a matter of winning. It's clear that all the attention went into the gameplay rather than in silly cutscenes about money men.

Well, just played through it myself. Spoilered in case others want to get their own opinions on the hack

Spoiler

I think you didn't give the brigands enough credit, Mark. They were incredibly useful for me (the pegasi still suck ass, though). I had terrible luck, so I took a considerable number more turns than you (and lost all of the blue fighting units except Eirika), but through sheer brigand + shaman spam, I managed to save Eirika (seriously, that teleport is some bs. Then again, if you don't plan on using any of the blue units, it is actually incredibly useful, because they can act as distractions for Glen as you build up your green army, and it puts Eirika in a much better position). Found out that killing Glen spawns the dragons. One of the enemy heroes killed so many stray brigands and shamans that his weapon broke. Overall, I really like this hack. Probably one of my favorites to play, all though not as great for commentating. I'm glad it wasn't as strict as you made it sound (well, except the beginning). As far as difficulty, I feel as though it is pretty good, with the exception of the aforementioned teleport. The fact that there is no mention of that at all beforehand means that a blind run is nigh impossible, even if you make very in depth strategies, simply because that is a factor that can't be accounted for.

I must say, though, the hack does feel rewarding to beat (even if I have an unfair advantage over Mark, because of not going in blind). This was incredibly creative, props to pwntagonist. Now to see if the same idea can be used to make an Advance Wars FE hack...

Dolphin’s experience seems to confirm that it can be beaten through different strategies, which is a very good thing for a difficult hack.

Only one critique from me that Mark hasn’t mentioned yet - I understand that, while light in plot and dialogue, the hack wasn’t meant to be humorous - but I was expecting at leas one mention of how the victory was all thanks to the boulder haviang a dancing harem (and the fan-swinging recruit). That’s the fanart that needs to come out of this, I tell you.

Ok now that you beat it and before I see the video, what made me cringe is when you kept moving erika away from innes. Like all the way back, didn't even try to inch her closer. Also not using greens to block the chests or use them to block them and push them towards you because they will rather look for any way out instead of fight. That was about it.

Thanks to this submission, I found another weakness of yours. More data I suppose.

Also gonna need that 1 week extension for echos. The time budget is axing a lot of the cool stuff I wanted to put in but I really want to show off the concepts I came up with this time gameplay wise. Honestly is it better to just say fuck it and submit it for gaiden or try to finish in time for echoes but no custom music/freshly made animations + chapter 3 plot?

Honestly, whether you submit it to Echoes or not, I'll probably play it anyway. It seems like you've worked really hard on this, and I don't want the contest to prevent you from showing your best work.

Just know that it will be a really long time before I get to it ;-;

Am I right in assuming that the player units' growths in Tactical Nonsense are fixed (that is, either 0% or 100%)? If so, then I must congratulate dat boi for how well calculated the enemy stats are - there are multiple instances (like the tomahawk pirate vs matthew, and mage vs jerry had the sweeping archer decided to attack him) where you could've very well have been left with only 1HP (had you full HP first), avoiding death only thanks to the previous levelup.

Seems like the bait-n-switchy part was all bait to slow you down to your death.