Solar Eclipse 2017 - putting T Town on the map

Dragoncat

So this is the biggest thing that's happened in the little podunk town I live in in a long time. It's so big that the city council apparently had a meeting about what to do about all the people who will be here. I'm of course talking about the solar eclipse. It will happen in late August and I live right in the area where it's the most visible. 

eclipse.thumb.png.835a6219f60d40abafc53367fff8b576.png

That site didn't have the common courtesy to mark where I am on the map, come on... *sarcasm* I did it for them. I've heard the nickname "T Town" before, also "Borington" because there's not much here. We literally have cows in the middle of the town. The sale barn is there, feedlots surround us, the town smells like manure most of the time but you get used to it.

Site I got the image from, also includes more info like where else to see it

We're considering renting out our camper to make some easy cash. Yep. Big news here...as far as discussion goes, I guess, who else lives right in the eclipse's path? And anything else you can think of to discuss...

Edited by Dragoncat

Man, if I still lived in NC, I'd be fairly close to the path. But no, I'm quite far away now. Oh well. xP

But you should check it out! This is a VERY rare event!

I so want to get a group of friends to drive down to the US and go see it. I don't how feasible it is for me though. I'll most likely be working and i kinda need the money. Plus it would likely be a 2 day trip. Maybe I'll just stick with the partial solar eclipse. 

Oh, Dcat, your town has farm animals? Cool! Just noticed you put that in your post. I like seeing cows and horses and sheep! Pigs stink though. lol I should be sure to spot them from a road if I'm ever out that way. I've almost never lived in the country, I lived in the city much of my life. So seeing farm animals is a luxury to me. XD

Edited by Anacybele

Shame I won't be able to see it. Will it be possible to see a partial eclipse if you're not in the zone?

And now for a moment, let us contemplate the wonderful coincidence of humanity existing at this particular time. Had humanity come into being earlier in Earth's history, when the Moon orbited closer to the Earth, it wouldn't be possible see the Moon fitting just perfectly over the Sun- with that elegant thin circle of light surrounding the Moon at the climatic moment. Had humanity come into being later in Earth's history, the Moon would be further away from the Earth, and the Moon would never totally block the Sun's light, and a total eclipse wouldn't be possible (such is the case with the moons of Mars).

Appreciate your existence, be it by intelligent design or by natural chance alone, appreciate your moment and all the beauty therein.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, Dcat, your town has farm animals? Cool! Just noticed you put that in your post. I like seeing cows and horses and sheep! Pigs stink though. lol I should be sure to spot them from a road if I'm ever out that way. I've almost never lived in the country, I lived in the city much of my life. So seeing farm animals is a luxury to me. XD

Lol I see them literally all the time...cow fields. Cow fields everywhere. And the occasional horse herd. Cows are stupid and they stink up the place. I've seen trucks of them going down the road with poop plastered to the outside of the trailers...yeah. I guess it's a good thing they're stupid animals or else they'd know we're only raising them to turn them into steak and burgers. Or dairy products, but this is beef country. Ignorance is bliss I guess. They have happy lives until the time comes, they get to eat all the grass and hay they want.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And now for a moment, let us contemplate the wonderful coincidence of humanity existing at this particular time. Had humanity come into being earlier in Earth's history, when the Moon orbited closer to the Earth, it wouldn't be possible see the Moon fitting just perfectly over the Sun- with that elegant thin circle of light surrounding the Moon at the climatic moment. Had humanity come into being later in Earth's history, the Moon would be further away from the Earth, and the Moon would never totally block the Sun's light, and a total eclipse wouldn't be possible (such is the case with the moons of Mars).

Appreciate your existence, be it by intelligent design or by natural chance alone, appreciate your moment and all the beauty therein.

Deep af. But is the moon really constantly moving further away? Huh...

Edited by Dragoncat

Lucky. The only chance I'd ever have of watching a full eclipse is likely to be the one of 2071, when the Total Eclipse will pass just south of my place. Sure, that's still decades to go, and who knows what may happen, but for now, that seems to be my safest shot. Maybe. Anyway...

16 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Yep. It's not something that will affect us, like stuff like Earth's rotation slowing down, but it's there.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Lol I see them literally all the time...cow fields. Cow fields everywhere. And the occasional horse herd. Cows are stupid and they stink up the place. I've seen trucks of them going down the road with poop plastered to the outside of the trailers...yeah. I guess it's a good thing they're stupid animals or else they'd know we're only raising them to turn them into steak and burgers. Or dairy products, but this is beef country. Ignorance is bliss I guess. They have happy lives until the time comes, they get to eat all the grass and hay they want.

Well, farm animals are beautiful to me. :P And like I said I don't get to see them much at all since I live in the city.

I heard that too.

But it would affect us eventually, because if the moon keeps moving farther away, it'll eventually be out of Earth's orbit and float off somewhere else, maybe into Venus or Mars's orbit. Without the moon, we don't have tides and such, and those do some things for the ecosystem, I think.

But what's this about the Earth's rotation slowing down? I never heard anything like that. And scientists know there will be another eclipse in 2071? Really? Wow.

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But it would affect us eventually, because if the moon keeps moving farther away, it'll eventually be out of Earth's orbit and float off somewhere else, maybe into Venus or Mars's orbit. Without the moon, we don't have tides and such, and those do some things for the ecosystem, I think.

But what's this about the Earth's rotation slowing down? I never heard anything like that. And scientists know there will be another eclipse in 2071? Really? Wow.

It's alright. That's the stuff that will only happen in millions and millions of years. Certainly not a concern for us, and depending on who you ask, might not even be humanity's issue either.

It does. Once again, this isn't something to be concerned about, because it slows down veeeeeeeeeery slowly to be an issue for humanity. As for the eclipses, well, best I know it's mostly predictions, but there is a mathematical formula or something. Would need to recheck...

The sun will also eventually blow up. And when it does it will take out everything on our side of the asteroid belt with it. The moon moving away, the earth's rotation slowing down, the sun blowing up...a lot of things that prove that nothing lasts forever and the universe is constantly changing. But none of those things will happen soon enough that we need to worry. I just hope there's no life left on Earth first. I'd hate to be around when the sun blows up. There'd be nothing I could do about it of course, but yeah.

Well, last I heard, the Earth doesn't have to worry about the sun going nova. Because first the Sun will engulf it as it expands into a Red Giant, so the nova is the least of the planet's worries. It'll be gone before that happens.

Well, some theorize that the expanding sun will push the Earth away into a farther orbit instead of engulfing it. But it's all conjecture, nothing really proven.

Oh I know, I was just wondering.

Hopefully by the time all that stuff happens, if it does, humans will have been able to move to other planets that can sustain us. That'd be cool!

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, last I heard, the Earth doesn't have to worry about the sun going nova. Because first the Sun will engulf it as it expands into a Red Giant, so the nova is the least of the planet's worries. It'll be gone before that happens.

Well, some theorize that the expanding sun will push the Earth away into a farther orbit instead of engulfing it. But it's all conjecture, nothing really proven.

Eh, well...engulfing or exploding, same effect.

57 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh I know, I was just wondering.

Hopefully by the time all that stuff happens, if it does, humans will have been able to move to other planets that can sustain us. That'd be cool!

That would be cool...but it would be unfair to all the other life that exists if it's just us.

Just now, Dragoncat said:

Eh, well...engulfing or exploding, same effect.

That would be cool...but it would be unfair to all the other life that exists if it's just us.

Well, you know what they say. You can't save them all...