What remake do you WANT; what remake do you think we SHOULD get?

(The title is a bit weird but it's the best I could come up with.)

Basically, which pre-Awakening game do you WANT to see remade for purely personal reasons and which game do you think SHOULD be remade for logical reasons (e.g. because it introduced new concepts/ mechanics that have since been abandoned)?

As an example, I think we should get Binding Blade remade next since Roy is familiar to the Western audience due to Smash and because we already got Blazing Blade here (which even ended with a slight sequel hook for Binding). On the other hand, I would like to see a remake for Sacred Stones for being yet another game with a World Map, having branching promotions and because it was my first FE (and thus I have a sentimental attachment to it).

So have at it! For the sake of those who haven't played every entry in the series, please be as spoiler free as possible :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see all of them remade at some point, but right now I mostly want to see the Jugdral games remade because they're the next oldest beyond the games that have already been remade.  Though damn if they'll go the "fully voiced supports and base convos" route 'cuz... lots of characters.

Rationally, they might see to those very games being remade.  Or they'll go for Binding Blade so that all the big Smash Bros characters have a localized version beyond Heroes.

9 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Fates

gg, top quality joke

I would like to see it redone, though.  With the same treatment Echoes got, and maybe some polishing up of the story.  And make Birthright more difficult while still leaving it accessible to newbs, please.

I think we should get Binding Blade because we never actually got the game for the GBA.

What I want to see a remake of, though, is Sacred Stones! It's my favorite Fire Emblem game, and that's partially why I want to see it remade. It has branching promotions, like Awakening and Fates, and two story paths, like Gaiden/Echoes. I would like to see it be possible to play through Eirika and Ephraim's routes at the same time, but one problem I see with that is they would have to split the cast into those who join Eirika and those who join Ephraim.

I think we should get Judgral remakes, but what I've personally always wanted to see for years is a Tellius duo pack HD remaster. Keep the ability to transfer data, pre-unlock all the GBA related stuff in Path of Radiance, as well as fixed mode, add Maniac difficulty, fix the names of difficulties in Radiant Dawn. Maaaybe add some short support convos in Radiant Dawn. Obviously that was a major flaw for RD, but I don't like the idea of writers coming back ten years later to write character focused content, even if the original writers are still around. It would just feel too fan-made or un-authentic. Also, and I know fans would object but scrap the 3D cutscenes of Path of Radiance and make a bunch of 2D ones based on the standard in Echoes. RD cutscenes can be kept. They're properly spaced throughout the game and all feel essential. PoR do not, except maybe the Galdr scene which could look and sound far more beautiful if redone.

Edited by Gustavos

FE 6 seems like the most logical because of Roy's popularity and I would like to see it updated (even though Echoes makes me the hate idea of more remakes) with more acknowledgement of FE 7. I know FE 6 came first; but they introduced major characters like Lyn and Ninian and you know they would never be relevant after FE 7 (in the games themselves not within the fandom).

I'd love a tellius remake or even just a port to the virtual console for those games- they're so hard to actually obtain and they're games that every fire emblem fan should be able to play. However, the virtual console port is more likely for those games since they're newer than the rest and need a remake less. Everything before tellius is fair game for a remake. Finally getting to play all the Japan exclusive games (even if they're remakes) would be great and those that aren't Japan exclusive could still use the great graphic, musical, and all around gameplay improvements.

My three top picks for games that should get remakes are Binding Blade, Tharcia 776, and the Sacred Stones.

Binding Blade, while a very good game, suffered from a few general problems, with things such as poor character balance, somewhat poor character development, Roy's late promotion, etc. Additionally, the story while good, isn't fleshed out as much as I would like. A remake would really help fixing these things. Roy is super popular in the US too, so having an official localization of his game would be nice for western fans of Fire emblem.

Tharcia 776, like binding blade, also had a fair share of issues, such as a nearly nonexistent presence of the weapon triangle, nonexsistent character developement, etc. That being said, it would be a bit harder to remake this game since its a side story to FE4 and Leif is significantly less popular than Roy, but it did have a ton of cool features I would love to see return, like dismounting and capturing units.

Sacred Stones is sort of the odd one here since its a game that has already been localized. However, I feel that I lot of elements in this game weren't fully fleshed out due to the game's length and a remake could help alleviate that. Make the end game longer, add phantom versions of generic units, maybe take a bit more influence from Gaiden / Echoes and allow the player to fully explore locations like the Tower of Valni, etc. 

I either want the Judgral games or Sacred Stones. Jugdral series are the oldest next to Marth's story in Archanea, and both games have different gameplay (and in the case of Thracia 776, it introduced a lot of mechanics). In the case of Sacred Stones, it's the only game to take place in Magvel (which makes me want a FE game to take place in that continent again, tbh), and it brought back the map feature, and has other features like branching promotions and split routes, so yeah.

I think Binding Blade should get a remake because Roy is already known to the people in the West (thanks to Smash Bros) and because certain changes to the story (like including Lyn and Ninian) can be made, making it more...consistent(am I using the right word?) with FE7's plot. And to make it better gameplay wise.

I want to see a proper Mystery of the Emblem (both books) remake because I really want to see the cast of Archanea getting the same treatment as SoV.

However, they should remake Binding Blade above all else because Roy is an iconic character with no international releases (as opposed to Marth's one) and doesn't receive nearly as much exposure as Marth.

Jugdral. FE4 then FE5. It's the next game set of games in the franchise that haven't been remade yet, and it's clear with Fire Emblem's newfound fame, that basically nobody outside of IS seems to know or care that the games exist.

Which is a shame, since most of the mechanics we know and love today were introduced in FE4(Weapon triangle, supports, marriage and children) while FE4 is also fairly experimental, and FE5 is the game that really set out the full template that every game in the franchise(Outside of remakes) has followed since.

It's especially sad that nobody seems to care about Jugdral when it's set in the same world as Marth's games and Awakening, but it only gets obscure references, like the Deadlords in Awakening. Everyone loves Archanea and Awakening, but nobody could give two shits about Jugdral.

I get Binding needing a remake, too, since I'd say it's the roughest FE game of the ones that haven't been remade yet, and it stands to benefit a bunch from a remake fixing those problems. But I also think a Binding remake should come after a Blazing remake, which really doesn't need a remake right now.

I do like the idea of a proper Mystery remake, with both books included. I could see IS trying to do something like this using SD and NM as a package, hopefully with a new artstyle.

Edited by Slumber

My answer for both is Genealogy. 

I want it the most because one thing that impressed me so much with SoV is the expanded lore and story. Genealogy already has a cool basis for a story so I'd love to see that expanded.

And the reason why I think it SHOULD be remade is because it's pretty clear that it's a long-time fan favorite in both Japan and international countries. It's been a long time coming and it deserves it. IS should stop trying to deliberately avoid it.

Edit: Personally speaking, I don't want to see any games that made it West to be remade until the Japan-only games make it over. I'd happily accept Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn getting a second chance as well as Sacred Stones, but the Japan-only games should be first. They deserve it.

Edited by Sentinel07

Genealogy for both. 

As of now the continent has been very underrepresented despite the high opinion people seem to have of it. Its different enough to keep experimenting and flawed enough to deserve a second shot to have those problems fixed.

Less people knowing of it then they do of Binding blade is a point in its favor because more people SHOULD know of it. 

Archenea has had more attention that it ever needed and Valentia has been given a second chance despite its black sheep status. With those two out of the way its simply Jugdral's turn. I understand that Roy makes Binding blade more marketable but deliberately skipping Jugdral would give the impression that its subpar, less important and less meaningful to the franchise. A lot of reasons IS could have for thinking that also applied to Gaiden and to an even greater extend, yet Gaiden wasn't skipped but brought back into the spotlight with great success. If Gaiden, then why not Genealogy?

At this point, now that the franchise is running strong thanks to the mechanics first introduced in Genealogy and with Gaiden being pulled from the shadows it would actually require an explanation for Jugdral getting ignored. Neither its age, popularity, nor its mechanics are reasons for it anymore.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I think Genealogy is great game, with great story but pretty bare bone script and characterization. after seeing what they have done with SOV, I think they could make Genealogy's story and characters so much better and flashed out. besides, genealogy has the child mechanic built in as good as it was in awakening. 

FE 4 or riot.

Playing Echoes makes me realise how much FE 4 has contributed to the game mechanics.

And it has a wonderful story, the only FE in which the children appearance makes sense.

But it's a hard game to adapt though. Nintendo will have to dumb down all the incest implication in order to pass Western censorship. And modern fans will scream at the huge maps even more than they do with Echoes.

I want Jugdral because it's so different and what I know of the story and characters makes me interested to play the games. 

I think they'll do FE6 first because of Roy, and because its prequel was the first international game, so it's a safer bet.

I hope we get both 4 and 6 sooner rather than later.

I don't think that any of the internationally released games should be remade before the remaining Japan only ones. Binding Blade has Roy, Blazing Blade ended on a cliffhanger that was never resolved, and aspects from FE7 can be included, while Genealogy introduced children and some other recurring mechanics and Thracia stuff can be integrated, so they both have reasons to warrant a remake (and expanding the characters and stories is always welcome). Thracia 776 should come after Genealogy but probably has the lowest priority, if it's not integrated into Genealogy to begin with or made DLC. The Tellius games should just be added to the eShop.

As for what I want, I have no preferences because I'll enjoy any remake (assuming that it's good).

Binding Blade for both. Before Shadows of Valentia, Binding Blade was my favorite FE. I actually have some ideas for what they could do with an FE6 remake. I posted them in another thread so i'll just quote myself.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:24 PM, Armagon said:

The things i'd like to see

• Roy promotes earlier, at the start of the Ilia/Sacae arc
  • This seems obvious but story details that strengthen the connection between Blazing and Binding Blade. Who knows, maybe we'll find out who Roy's mother canonically is.
    •   Reveal hidden contents

It's very likely that Roy's mother is Ninian so how about making it so that Roy inherits some of her Ice Dragon powers? That's really ironic when you think about. Though this would likely work better if the Elibe Saga was made into one game, with Blazing being the 1st Generation and Binding being the 2nd.

• Make Idunn a challenge
  • Animated cutscenes (obvious)
  • Letting players know the requirements for unlocking the Gaiden chapters in advance. While some are obvious, such as rescuing Lilina, other requirements, aren't. I'm particularly talking about the turn limit requirement here. Not killing Douglas in Ch.16 is also one of those less obvious requirements.
    • On that note, Douglas should be able to be recruited in Ch.16
  • Divine Stone is unbreakable.
  • Binding Blade is unbreakable.
    • I'm debating if the other Legendary Weapons should be unbreakable as well. On one hand, if they were, it'd be easier to access the true ending but it may also unbalance the game. On the other hand, if they weren't, then the player could screw themselves out of getting the true end.
      • On the subject of Legendary Weapons, Eckesachs should be obtainable after beating Zephiel.
  • Thieves should be able to promote.
  • Monks should be available, or at least let Sages use Light Magic like in Sacred Stones. Being able to use Light Magic in Binding Blade just takes too long, as the only Class that can wield it is the Bishop Class, and the only things that promote to it are Clerics/Priests.
  • S-Supports. Ok, hear me out real quick. Binding Blade only allowed 5 Supports per character per playthrough. A remake would obviously remove that rule. However, by doing so, this gives Roy the ability to A-Rank Lilina, Sophia, Shanna, etc. And as you know, Roy reaching an A-Rank with any of those girls will affect that girl's ending. But since the "5 per playthrough" rule is gone, then Roy can A-Rank all of them, and that would just mess with their endings. So, to fix that, the S-Supports will exist only for Roy. Whoever he S-Supports is who he marries at the end of the game.
    • On a similar note, paired endings please. Remind me again why Noah x Fir isn't a paired ending.
  • New characters, obviously. In fact, throw in the Hasha no Tsurugi characters in there. Like, in Ch.5, instead of getting Gant's Lance, you recruit Gant himself. Although, now that i think about it...
  •   Reveal hidden contents

...A Binding Blade Echoes game should use the story of Hasha no Tsurugi. Ok, hear me out. Binding Blade's story isn't amazing. I mean, it's a fine story but it could've been expanded more. And I don't know about you, but Hasha no Tsurugi did just that. In fact, that manga is probably the biggest reason why Binding Blade is currently my favorite FE. Now of course, they may have to do some creative thinking, as Hasha no Tsurugi didn't end with the fight against Idunn, but rather some other dragon that i forget the name of. This idea is a bit out there but I feel that it could definitely work if done right.

I would like Jugdral remakes eventually though, mainly to fix gameplay issues. Gameplay is the area that Genealogy of the Holy War lacks in. While the story, characters, music, etc, were good, playing Genealogy was just not fun in my opinion. People criticize Gaiden/Echoes maps for being bad but really, Gaiden/Echoes maps are just bland, not bad, outside of Cantors (which i personally didn't have much of a problem with). I'd argue Genealogy had worse maps just because of how fucking long it took to get from point A to point B. It can take anywhere from 5 to 10, even 15 turns depending on the unit and location (fuck Ch.7 and it's enormous desert). There's also the fact that Genealogy's maps are generally empty for most of the time. I also didn't like how it was borderline impossible to save villages, since at the start of the chapter, bandits would always spawn either right on top or close to the villages. Also, get rid of the pawn shop entirely and replace it with the regular trading system that literally every other Fire Emblem game has. I always hated this scenario:

"Unit A saved a village and got a weapon. However, Unit A can't use the weapon. Unit B can, but for whatever reason, Unit A can't just give it to him. Instead, Unit A has to go all the way to a castle, and sell the weapon to the pawn shop. Then, Unit B has to come to the castle and buy the weapon from the pawn shop. Because, you know, Jugdralians don't know how to trade with the person right next to them."

As for Thracia, just make the damn game easier. The game stressed me out thanks to it's bullshit combination of permadeath and fatigue. At least change it to the way Echoes handled fatigue. And while they're at it, when the Fog of War maps come in, make it so that we can at least see the map like in the GBA games. Don't black out the parts we can't see. And the most important part they need to fix is this: making healing staffs not miss. Why can healing staffs miss in Thracia? It's so dumb.

The Jugdral games are my least favorite FEs, but a good remake can hopefully make me like them more. But that being said, i would like a Binding Blade remake first.

Personally, I'd say Sword of Seals because Roy's already gotten into two Smash games, and a part of me doesn't trust IS to make the Jugdral games palatable.

FE3.

Obviously the non japanese games should be remade. But honestly FE1 deserves better than shadow dragon, and FE12 is too good to not localize. So make it like the original mystery, book1+2.

Otherwise, FE6+7 with childten mechanics a la FE4. More children would also be nice since FE6 was a bit bland anyway. If wanted, you could also promote mark to a full blown playable charecter and put in an MU that way.

FE9 and 10 could just use a HD port with the difficulty settings fixed (make lunatic+ for english in PoR and make a easy mode for RD)

9 hours ago, TheBraveGallade said:

FE3.

Obviously the non japanese games should be remade. But honestly FE1 deserves better than shadow dragon, and FE12 is too good to not localize. So make it like the original mystery, book1+2.

Otherwise, FE6+7 with childten mechanics a la FE4. More children would also be nice since FE6 was a bit bland anyway. If wanted, you could also promote mark to a full blown playable charecter and put in an MU that way.

FE9 and 10 could just use a HD port with the difficulty settings fixed (make lunatic+ for english in PoR and make a easy mode for RD)

I know want to see fe6 +7 because that comment